Thaksin To Drown Out Reconciliation This Songkran

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

Thaksin to drown out reconciliation this Songkran

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- Fugitive former premier to celebrate New Year by opening old wounds

Thailand will have a split focus this Songkran. One eye will certainly be on neighbouring Laos and Cambodia where Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to meet thousands of Thai supporters. It will be a historic coming together for the former PM and the red shirts after years of long-distance contact through phone-ins and video links.

Efforts are being made to ensure that the meetings in Laos and Cambodia are memorable reunions that will attract world headlines.

It will be an uneasy distraction, coming as the country continues to grapple with the aftermath of the Yala and Hat Yai bombings while also treading the sensitive water of national "reconciliation". The meetings fly in the face of the ongoing attempt by the Thai government to convince the public that reconciliation efforts have nothing to do with Thaksin.

The Yingluck government, of course, will try to distance itself from the meetings. Although the Thai prime minister again graced the front pages of local newspapers this week, pictured with Cambodian leader Hun Sen and his wife, Yingluck Shinawatra can always say she was in Cambodia merely on official duties as head of an Asean nation.

Anyone who questions the timing and appropriateness of the get-togethers between Thaksin and his supporters will be countered with claims that there is nothing wrong with them.

As long as Laos and Cambodia allow him, Thaksin can visit the two countries freely. The red shirts, meanwhile, have the absolute right to meet and cheer, in the flesh, the man they worship. There is a clear line, however, between being a red shirt and being a state official.

Things get complicated, legally at least, if Thaksin's well-wishers include Thai MPs or Cabinet members.

Technically, Thaksin remains a fugitive. His court conviction and jail sentence are still in effect. The Thai political crisis has made a mockery of the fact that whoever is a state official is supposed to bring him in or take proper action in that direction. It doesn't matter anymore that a state official who comes face to face with Thaksin but fails to treat him as a fugitive is in fact violating the law.

That it doesn't matter now doesn't mean it won't matter in the future. If there is any good lesson at all from the Thai political turmoil, it is that nothing lasts forever. While state officials can embrace Thaksin now without any legal problem, their action could come back to haunt them when the political wind of change blows.

Red shirts are paying about Bt7,000 each to get close to Thaksin, albeit briefly. Whereas the meeting in Laos will reportedly take place under strict rules, the reunion in Cambodia is expected to be freer and probably attended by thousands. It will undoubtedly be a spectacular sight if Thaksin arrives on stage to address his Thai supporters in person.

Politically, it will be difficult to ignore such an event taking place so close to home. Critics will decry attempts to prop Thaksin up for a future amnesty while the other camp will hail the oncoming of long-overdue justice. It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong. What is certain is that tension will rise, because everyone will try to prove that he is right.

In many aspects, Thaksin will be "closer" to Thailand during the upcoming Songkran than he has been since he fled the country in 2008. The expected warm receptions in Laos and Cambodia probably reflect the "favourable" political atmosphere in Thailand, where his youngest sister is heading a stable coalition government with a comfortable majority in Parliament.

Everything sounds simple and convenient enough. With the political tide in Thailand turning in his favour, Thaksin will be having a major Songkran bash close to home to strengthen his case for a guilt-free return. It's easy to say that he's trying to make it easier for himself. Whether things are getting more difficult around him, however, is harder to say.

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Red shirts are paying about Bt7,000 each to get close to Thaksin, albeit briefly"

Obviously an anti-Thaksin article, reiterating all the Thaksin Opposition paranoia. But let me correct one specific fact. Perhaps some arrangements are paying the above noted 7,000 Baht. Locals however, have filled three busses and are paying 400. baht. which is most likely close to the norm elsewhere. Also as mentioned before, a case could be made that Thaksin is the minor reason for this journey, whilst the major reason is that it provides an opportunity for both camaradery and to see Angkor Wat at a very low cost. My interest is in seeing Angkor Wat.

Edited by CalgaryII
  • Like 1

I'm debating what's more pathetic, Thaksin's ego trip, the Red Masses groveling at the crook's feet or the pretense that going to see Thaksin... has nothing to do with Thaksin.

CalgaryII, I suppose that while the Red Shirts are in Cambodia they will protest against Hun Sen, right? I mean, he came to power through a coup decades ago and had a bunch of people tortured and killed.

No? Tap tap... hello, is this on?

what really baffles me is how abhisit and hun sen never became bosom buddy's

• Like 1

Big T needs to be in the spot light, he is like an aging movie starlet always looking for the spot light. As long as he fans the fire there will be no reconcilliation but of course anyone knows what reconcilliation means to big T my way or the highway, poor little me back in Thailand and in charge.

I'm debating what's more pathetic, Thaksin's ego trip, the Red Masses groveling at the crook's feet or the pretense that going to see Thaksin... has nothing to do with Thaksin.

CalgaryII, I suppose that while the Red Shirts are in Cambodia they will protest against Hun Sen, right? I mean, he came to power through a coup decades ago and had a bunch of people tortured and killed.

The kneejerk "But Abhisit!" response never takes long.

I believe Thaksin/PTP supporters have serious projection issues, as shown in the previous post. Thaksin is Hun Sen's "eternal friend" and then you come with Abhisit becoming his bossom buddy... for some reason, or no reason at all, just project, divert, obfuscate!

• Like 1

He didnt pay enough to be buddys

• Like 2

"Red shirts are paying about Bt7,000 each to get close to Thaksin, albeit briefly"

Obviously an anti-Thaksin article, reiterating all the Thaksin Opposition paranoia. But let me correct one specific fact. Perhaps some arrangements are paying the above noted 7,000 Baht. Locals however, have filled three busses and are paying 400. baht. which is most likely close to the norm elsewhere. Also as mentioned before, a case could be made that Thaksin is the minor reason for this journey, whilst the major reason is that it provides an opportunity for both camaradery and to see Angkor Wat at a very low cost. My interest is in seeing Angkor Wat.

I sincerely hope Angkor Wat is your priority because if you don't pay up to the red shirt organiser you will not be allowed to see the biggest ego in the world.

You have to understand all those advanced payments made during the protests have to be paid back somehow.

Edited by pipo1000

The kneejerk "But Abhisit!" response never takes long.

I believe Thaksin/PTP supporters have serious projection issues, as shown in the previous post. Thaksin is Hun Sen's "eternal friend" and then you come with Abhisit becoming his bossom buddy... for some reason, or no reason at all, just project, divert, obfuscate!

my tongue was firmly in my cheek..

but please carry on.

Thaksin is not the minor reason they are going and they are not going to ankok wat they are going to meet the new messiah thaksin in lao captial get your info right dude.

I have just heard from an informed source that about 5'000 yellow shirts are going, mascaraing as red shirts just to throw eggs at Taksin with the aim of creating the worlds biggest human omelet

I really hope they do. That will be the last thing those bigoted trouble makers do.

I have just heard from an informed source that about 5'000 yellow shirts are going, mascaraing as red shirts just to throw eggs at Taksin with the aim of creating the worlds biggest human omelet

So Calgaryll bring your eggs and be part of something historic.

As for seeing Angkok at a low price - you cheap so and so . Imagine if foreigners came here on the cheap for a holiday - "Falang Kee Nok Mak"

What a great idea. I hope the Yellow Shirt are reading this

Does your isan wife beat you if you dont support thaksin, I have seen this happen many times before falang husbands afraid of a beat down from there bitch! its the thai way!

Those wanting to post here should have a minimum of primary school grammar ability.

Because Abhisit is a polotician not a cr##k or a murderer. Remember the drug war in the south? Abhisit knows who to be seen with. He and Chuan are this country's only hope as I see it. Otherwise, my question is "civil war".

• Like 2

As for seeing Angkok at a low price - you cheap so and so . Imagine if foreigners came here on the cheap for a holiday - "Falang Kee Nok Mak"

I hope this is true about the Yellow Shirts. But it's probably just comedy.

A foreigner going to Ankgor for 400 baht because it's cheap makes him the same kind of guy who spends 5000 baht in a bar and leaves a 20 baht tip. There are plenty of Brits here that do that.

A foreigner going to Ankgor for 400 baht because it's cheap makes him the same kind of guy who spends 5000 baht in a bar and leaves a 20 baht tip. There are plenty of Brits here that do that.

You cant go to ankor for 400 baht that is a lie!

Does your isan wife beat you if you dont support thaksin, I have seen this happen many times before falang husbands afraid of a beat down from there bitch! its the thai way!

Those wanting to post here should have a minimum of primary school grammar ability.

Y? R U A educaytor?

Thaksin is not the minor reason they are going and they are not going to ankok wat they are going to meet the new messiah thaksin in lao captial get your info right dude.

There was a contingent of UDD/Red Shirts goping to Laos, and another one to Cambodia. Due to the restrictions the communist authorities placed on them in Lao, many have since diverted to Cambodia. Let me repeat what turned out to be the difference:

• Laos wanted no stage and public speechifying. Obviously concerned about the influence of such political activity amongst their people. No such problems at Angkor Wat.
  • Laos only wanted a low-level merit making type activity at a temple.
  • Laos wanted the UDD/Red Shirts to transfer to their vehicles for traveling in Laos. Again, Cambodia accomodated all busses crossing the border, and have gone out of their way to streamline the process at the border.
  • Loas wanted participants to use their travel agency/organization from the border onward, at an extra 400.00 - 500.00-- baht.

Given all those restrictions in Laos, many have diverted to Cambodia, including the local contingent.

Because Abhisit is a polotician not a cr##k or a murderer. Remember the drug war in the south? Abhisit knows who to be seen with. He and Chuan are this country's only hope as I see it. Otherwise, my question is "civil war".

You are right those fellows are Thailand's only real hope. I would only pray that in the next election the majority of Thailand steps up to vote.

• Like 1

You cant go to ankor for 400 baht that is a lie!

They are paying 400.00 baht each for the bus. Not sure what the situation will be at Angkor Wat. I can check later when my source is available.

Edited by CalgaryII

There was a contingent of UDD/Red Shirts goping to Laos, and another one to Cambodia. Due to the restrictions the communist authorities placed on them in Lao, many have since diverted to Cambodia.

Only if Thaksin were "eternal friends" with the Chinese.

1. Thaksin stays far away from Thailand.

2. Thaksin ocassionally comes nearby on pretext of Songkran etc.

3. Thaksin hovers around more often.

4. THE RETURN OF THAKSIN!!!!

This is merely an acclimatisation exercise.

Turn up the fire slowly so the goose will not notice he is getting cooked!

Meab (#23 above) questioned the info. that 400.00 baht is insufficient for Angkor Wat....... I know it is what they pay for the bus there and back...... I checked my source and learned that Red Shirts have free access to Angkor Wat that day, hence the total cost remains at 400.00 baht, other than food....................... At the border things have also been streamlined....................... Authorities have already been provided names of passengers according to specific busses.

Edited by CalgaryII

Abhisit has a brain that thinks about the people of Thailand. The other party, ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????