Fortuner Issue

I am trying to figure out what the issue with my fortuner. It's a 2006 model about 98,000km. Everything with it is great and I've done all services, as has the previous owner.

Still, when I drive on the highway faster than say 99-102km/hr it "shakes" (like vibrates) i have only noticed it in the last year.

Could the wheels need rotating? I swapped them out about 1.5 years ago. Maybe there is an issue with the suspension? I also have quite large rims, could that be the problem?

Any feedback would be great so I can tell the toyota dealership what to look at rather than going in blind.

Front end could be out of alignment...hit any big holes lately? Are the front tires wearing evenly...if you notice the inside or outside of the tires are worn down more than the middle portion that's an alignment problem. Just how does the thread look on your tires...wearing down evenly...any flat spots...etc. Also as mentioned it could be a wheel balance problem. It also depends on what type of shaking you are experiencing...does it seem like it originates at the front end of the SUV, in the middle, all over, etc. I rotate my Forturner tires ever 10Km (takes me about 5 months to rack-up 10Km) and I even rotate the spare tire in that rotation...tire rotation only adds about 250 baht to each 10Km checkup cost at my Toyota dealership.

What happens if you go faster, say 120-130 km/h do the vibrations stop again? If so, yes, probably balancing.

Thanks for all the sound advice. I haven't noticed it stop vibrating at higher speeds but it doesn't even vibrate on all road sections (it seems). The steering wheel does vibrate considerably between 100-120. As I usually drive in Bangkok and only drive faster on freeways when I leave town I honestly haven't noticed until driving up from Phuket which made the trip horrible (imagine driving 100km/h on a 1000k trip, ugh).

I'll check once I'm back and try your suggestions starting with rotating the tires.

What happens if you go faster, say 120-130 km/h do the vibrations stop again? If so, yes, probably balancing.

Thanks for all the sound advice. I haven't noticed it stop vibrating at higher speeds but it doesn't even vibrate on all road sections (it seems). The steering wheel does vibrate considerably between 100-120. As I usually drive in Bangkok and only drive faster on freeways when I leave town I honestly haven't noticed until driving up from Phuket which made the trip horrible (imagine driving 100km/h on a 1000k trip, ugh).

I'll check once I'm back and try your suggestions starting with rotating the tires.

Balance the wheels,as a balance weight could have come off.

Also check your tyre's you don't say how old they are but here 4 year's and there normaly buggered no matter how much tread they still have on them. Not teaching you to suck eeg's but presure 30psi all round. You say that it only happen's on some surface's so it doesn't sound like balancing to me. and with the S/Wheel vibration look's like the front one's are the problem. Swap the front to the back on Fortuner should be done every 20,000km at least it will narrow it down. Edited by fredob43

Also check your tyre's you don't say how old they are but here 4 year's and there normaly buggered no matter how much tread they still have on them. Not teaching you to suck eeg's but presure 30psi all round. You say that it only happen's on some surface's so it doesn't sound like balancing to me. and with the S/Wheel vibration look's like the front one's are the problem. Swap the front to the back on Fortuner should be done every 20,000km at least it will narrow it down.

Ok I will they are less than two years old but I have big 3rd party rims and sport tires so I probably should pay more attention to them. I've checked the pressure, not over pressure like most shops like to do.

Tire rotating and balancing, check. Sadly I have to wait to next week till I'm back in town just reminded myself while on vacation and now I'm itching to fix it.

Thanks guys! Any other ideas please keep them coming.

Just pop into any Toyota garage or tyre place and for a few bt get them to change round and balance them. You can also check the tyre's while the off and also the rim's. Might be a quick cure. And a better trip home. Best of luck and a safe trip.

Edited by fredob43

i had a similar problem

i have 22'' rims and they had been subject to some ''falling in a big hole type'' damage and were out of true

so i too suffered vibration around 100kph

i went to the top bridgestone place in Siracha

they said they could straighten the rims for 1500 each

i passed on that as they would be away for two weeks

so i asked them to get their best man and asked him this:

find out which are the best wheels and the best tyres of the four and swap them around, balance them to the best of his ablity and then put the best pair on the front

put the worst of the set on the rear

then make sure the alignment is exactly right

they have a laser thing there and its very accurate

the problem is not cured entirely but its a lot better

what was violent vibration is now mild

it took about 3 hours and cost 1500 baht

i had a similar problem

i have 22'' rims and they had been subject to some ''falling in a big hole type'' damage and were out of true

find out which are the best wheels and the best tyres of the four and swap them around, balance them to the best of his ablity and then put the best pair on the front

One of the problems with low profile tyres on big diameter rims used on dodgy roads.

i had a similar problem

Ok, yeah I would rather not change the tires entirely but I will after testing the balancing and rotating check to see it the rims need adjustment as well. Worst case I'll go your route.