Alert For Possible Unrest Over Songkran Holiday

webfact

Alert for possible unrest over break

The Nation

30179603-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- National police chief Pol General Priewphan Damapong has instructed all police to keep a close eye on possible unrest and tighten security measures to ensure safety in Bangkok over the Songkran holiday.

"We have to keep an eye closely on any incidents of unrest during the Songkran festival even though there is no sign of violence," he said.

Priewphan also ordered police in southern provinces including Songkhla to tighten security in all areas.

Over the past eight years, many insurgent groups had created violence in the far South, he said, especially in four districts in Songkhla - Chana, Thepa, Nathawee and Sa Ba Yoi - plus Nong Chik in Pattani province.

He said he had sought help from international intelligence agencies to provide information about groups of insurgents who may want to travel to the Kingdom.

Moves to stop drug trafficking in southern provinces had also been tightened.

"We were informed that drug dealers will send about 10 million amphetamine tablets into Thailand. They are now just waiting for the right time," he said.

Meanwhile, a recent Suan Dusit Poll, conducted from April 37, showed about 41 per cent of 2,329 respondents thought that Songkran this year would not be very happy due to unrest in Songkhla and Yala in the South. They also worried about a possible rise in the price of essential commodities and services, especially fares. People were also worried about the lack of political reconciliation in the country.

A poll showed that people want leaders of the government and opposition to be a model for reconciliation - by not arguing with each other.

Another poll conducted by Assumption University showed that Thais' level of happiness had decreased over the past few months due to economic woes and violence in the southern provinces.

The rate of happiness had dropped from 6.66 points in July last year to 6.18 points last month. Most of respondents said they had had to shoulder a financial burden due to the rise in commodity prices. And they also worried about possible political conflicts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-09

BANGKOK: -- National police chief Pol General Priewphan Damapong has instructed all police to keep a close eye on possible unrest and tighten security measures to ensure safety in Bangkok over the Songkran holiday.
i

I'd have hoped he would have extended his instructions to include all of Thailand but never mind......

Let's hope the security in the South will be matched in Bangkok and Phuket. Bombers have legs and cars and if it gets too difficult for them here they are likely to migrate to easier targets. I would prefer to see soldiers if it makes me feels safer. I know it won't look pretty but that is not important to me. Have seen them employ this in Laos and works very well. People tend to behave when they know they can be riddled with bullets any second. Also a no thoroughfare for motorbikes and cars would be helpful. After eating at Oishi Sushi Diana Shopping Complex Hat Yai today it was hard not to be reminded of the bombs almost constantly - took a bit of the joy out of eating thinking of the poor souls who perished or were burnt. However, the lovely Thai people were very happy to see me and their tip was very well deserved just for turning up - very brave indeed - after the horror of last week. I hope the soldiers secure Khao San Road in particular as these old style buildings would offer no chance in a similar explosion as Lee Gardens and with so many young foreign men and ladies it would be a tragedy indeed which their parents would most wish to avoid.

• Like 1

If we wish a secure safe future all over Thailand for tourists and locals alike people in the deep South should enjoy the fruits of their resources in these areas (rather than those just in Bangkok) - fishing rights and oil. Staying silent has already created 5,200 dead, 20,000 maimed and hundreds missing. And tourism industry for Hat Yai will be well down with loss of jobs. From what I have heard the Muslim religion has the protection of indigenous peoples as one of their goals - unlike the barbaric treatment and policy of assimilation of the American Indians, Austrlalian aborigines and New Zealand Maoris by the white man.

The history of our world - one and one makes one. Everyone is too afraid to talk regards independence as it will look like cowering to demands. Then again, these people once had a homogenous population, ethnic Malay, so are they really asking for the Earth. Many died fighting for their homogenous ethnic populations in World War 2. Just because Western nations are now post World War 2 happy to create ethnic/muslim melting pots does that mean they are wrong to want to be homogenous like the Japanese, Chinese or Tibetans? However, do the few bombers represent the wishes of the majority? A referendum by an external country may make the bombing stop completely if it showed that very few wanted independent rule. Even talk of a referendum could halt the killings - and also it could teach the bombers that they don't represent the majority. This has yet to be ascertained. And who is currently representing the affairs of these people? Is it local community leaders or "outsiders"? Seems the waters are very murky. If anyone can shed some light on things much appreciated. It is interesting the show of strength of buddhist monks in central Yala over the last several days - if not provoking? We are not leaving I guess it is demonstrates very boldly. With buddhism being an extreme minority in this area is it really worth putting their lives, soldiers and all community members at risk and the risks of tourists all over the country and of course the economy and livelihoods that go with it? I think not. So much unnecessary bloodshed for egos to be stroked - for the sake of peace?

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Obviously a serious subject and I hope that the Songkran holidays are peaceful and enjoyable for people celebrating throughout the LOS.

On a lighter note, who's the woman in the photo? She's delicious eye candy. licklips.gif

Edited by Microwave

And always keep in mind that Priewphan Damapong didn't got the job because he is competent. He only got police chief because he is Thaksins brother in law and to prevent anti-government demonstrations.

So not much to expect from him.

If we wish a secure safe future all over Thailand for tourists and locals alike people in the deep South should enjoy the fruits of their resources in these areas (rather than those just in Bangkok) - fishing rights and oil.

Everyone is too afraid to talk regards independence as it will look like cowering to demands. Then again, these people once had a homogenous population, ethnic Malay, so are they really asking for the Earth. Many died fighting for their homogenous ethnic populations in World War 2. Just because Western nations are now post World War 2 happy to create ethnic/muslim melting pots does that mean they are wrong to want to be homogenous like the Japanese, Chinese or Tibetans?

The geographic area comprising today's China has never been ethnically homogenous, and I'm afraid true national independence for Tibet or the south of Thailand is even less likely/further in the future than a corruption-free Thailand.

And yes, I'd say any political grouping or geographic territory asking for a return to any sort of homogeneity is a lost cause, trying to swim upstream against the tide of history and the evolution of mankind's role on the planet.

The need for us to accommodate each others beliefs, culture, lifestyle, religion etc will simply become more and more compelling over time. There may well be little pockets like Bhutan that maintain the status quo, but to the extent they want to join the global "village" and world markets, even powerful nations like Japan will need to become more open and tolerant of change over time.

Fundamentalist Islam, just like fundamentalist Christianity, is on the other side of that trend, need to be able to adjust their views, as orthodox Judaism and Buddhism have, to allow for their traditional practices and lifestyles to co-exist in the modern world dominated by non-believers.

I hope to the extent they don't, their power will fade away over time.

The economic and social justice issues of the south are another matter, and I hope that the central Thai elite can find ways to compromise and defuse the popular support for the violent religion-inspired groups, rather than focusing solely on "security measures" to suppress their efforts.

Alert for possible unrest over break

The Nation

30179603-01_big.jpg

Then Super-Chalerm stepped out of the telephone-kiosk, in his skin-tight new costume with a big "S" on the chest, struck a pose like this, and flew ! He's my hero, you know ! rolleyes.gif

"A poll showed that people want leaders of the government and opposition to be a model for reconciliation - by not arguing with each other."

Politicians are paid to argue. What they are not paid to do is to demonstrate the kind of immature antics in which kindergarten children indulge!