French Tourist Dies In Khao San Road Fire

george

Sometimes cheap accomodation is not always the best.Very sad indeed.RIP

Personally I always try to find the cheapest place as travel constantly and therefore have a budget. In Malaysia, Thailand and Laos I often stay in rooms with barred windows with absolutely no escape. Just came back from Alor Setar and stayed in such a place opposite the bus stop. With the recent fire in Lee Gardens Hotel I was thinking it may have been better to sit down in the 24 hour cafetaria all night. It is time to reassess how I travel. May he rest in peace. This is just the kind of thing that should not happen in a prime tourist strip. No excuses - no unnecessary deaths. Quite right cheap accommodation is not always best - will consider shortening my holidays to avoid barred windows.

I have a buddy who mentioned to me the other day (when we saw a padlocked fire exit) that he carries bolt cutters in his luggage when traveling anywhere SE Asia. But barred window ... stay away!! Many people lose their lives in homes because they thought the bars would make them safer.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.washingto...VF5S_story.html

BANGKOK — A French tourist has been killed in an overnight fire that engulfed an illegally operated budget hotel in one of the Thai capital’s main tourist districts.

Police say the fire started at a bar on the ground floor of a three-story building in the city’s Khao San Road neighborhood, an area popular with backpackers and budget travelers. Five tourists escaped but a 27-year-old Frenchman was found burned to death.

Terrible incident. To die so young needlessly. The chain of safety is only as strong as its weakest link. Could that be a bribe?

Could it be that Thailand is the HUB of danger for tourists?

How many tourist die in a year in Thailand compare to other "Tourist Countries"?

RIP

Interesting question -- found a couple links

http://www.traveltro...ospitalisations (8th deadliest place for Brits by percentage of tourists vs. deaths)

http://www.livingtha...sts-to-die.html (Thailand ranks 2nd for death by car accidents for tourists)

http://allwomenstalk...go-on-vacation/ (Thailand doesn't rank in top 20 but doesn't look like anything scientific)

But the figures don't give a true reflection of how dangerous a place is because it doesn't take into account the types of tourists. I've seen British tourists do dangerous things in Thailand that I haven't seen them do in some other countries. To pick just one example, many people here ride motorbikes without helmets and while drunk. That doesn't happen so much on some other countries. The tourists themselves have to take the blame for those sorts of deaths. If you are more sensible then you will obviously be safer. Also, there are many old sexpats in Thailand so they are bound to end up dying here. And i bet they are counted as tourists in the figures. So that's another distortion. I don't think it's a s dangerous as the figures make out. but it depends who you are and what you do.

Also, the figures don't take into account length of stay. Singapore seems very safe, but it's also very expensive, so people probably only visit for a few days at most. People come to Thailand for months at a time. It is obvious that you have more chance of dying if you are somewhere for months compared to somewhere else for a few days.

To get a more accurate view you need to take into account age, activities, length of stay, etc. Most tourists I read about that die in Thailand are usually engaged in a dangerous activity.

All good points and agree. I think the road accidents are a direct reflection of your comments about helmets. I partly thought it an interesting question because I think people would be surprised that given the number of tourists in Thailand the death rate would be surprisingly lower than most would think, outside road fatalities which I believe I once read (at least for Britts) was largely due to motorbike accidents & no helmets.

It just seems like every sad or negative story here is built up to be a representation of what is common here when in fact it is usually not inordinately common occurrence compared to even many fully industrialized nations.

Even with fire deaths ... I'm not sure of the number of deaths by fires in a year in Thailand but I believe it is around 5,000 (18 per million people) a year in the US and around 2,000 (16 per million people) in Japan. If Thailand is to be close to these countries there would need to be near 1,200 (17 per million) fire deaths a year or 3+ a day which I don't "think" is the case.

However, "if" Thailand does have a much lower fatality rate for fires, it isn't because of codes and enforcement in my opinion but because near everything is built of concrete.

Edit: forgot link http://www.usfa.fema...stics/v12i8.pdf

One would need to assume Thailand is accurately reporting all fire related deaths.. A monumental assumption.

Sadly it usually takes bigger tragedies than this to get a country / state to enact and enforce better fire safety standards ... often an outcry from the public is also needed. Although I think a number of things were stepped up after the disco fire a number a years ago, they were mainly geared towards discos/entertainment venues.

RIP

And better sign-age would help yes.

The disco fire you mentioned, it was just a little one wasn't it, not that many people died, certainly no one important, but even if they had, do you think for one second that regulations, proper regulations would be properly enforced here, no, it just gets glossed over and then it is business as usual.

You would need a catastrophe of twin towers proportions here before anything changes and meanwhile young kids like this pay the ultimate price in the quest for the tourist dollar.

Sometimes cheap accomodation is not always the best.Very sad indeed.RIP

Personally I always try to find the cheapest place as travel constantly and therefore have a budget. In Malaysia, Thailand and Laos I often stay in rooms with barred windows with absolutely no escape. Just came back from Alor Setar and stayed in such a place opposite the bus stop. With the recent fire in Lee Gardens Hotel I was thinking it may have been better to sit down in the 24 hour cafetaria all night. It is time to reassess how I travel. May he rest in peace. This is just the kind of thing that should not happen in a prime tourist strip. No excuses - no unnecessary deaths. Quite right cheap accommodation is not always best - will consider shortening my holidays to avoid barred windows.

I have a buddy who mentioned to me the other day (when we saw a padlocked fire exit) that he carries bolt cutters in his luggage when traveling anywhere SE Asia. But barred window ... stay away!! Many people lose their lives in homes because they thought the bars would make them safer.

Tell me about it. In Songkhla it is almost impossible to find a home without barred windows. I know this as I have ridden my motorbike along every street and I can only recall finding one house that did not have bars - and that was owned by a foreigner. Is also the case with most if not all guest houses in Songkhla. Yes, I'll take your advice. I will just find a 24 hour cafetaria next time and doze of once and a while. In Alor Setar I felt completely vunerable especially as a large group of people staying in one room was smoking non-stop all night which I thought may start a fire. Remember years back in Sydney's Kings Cross district the devastation can cause - over 20 dead from memory. Can't remember if it was a cigarette but or if the fire was started by some lunatic.

Interesting question -- found a couple links

http://www.traveltro...ospitalisations (8th deadliest place for Brits by percentage of tourists vs. deaths)

http://www.livingtha...sts-to-die.html (Thailand ranks 2nd for death by car accidents for tourists)

http://allwomenstalk...go-on-vacation/ (Thailand doesn't rank in top 20 but doesn't look like anything scientific)

But the figures don't give a true reflection of how dangerous a place is because it doesn't take into account the types of tourists. I've seen British tourists do dangerous things in Thailand that I haven't seen them do in some other countries. To pick just one example, many people here ride motorbikes without helmets and while drunk. That doesn't happen so much on some other countries. The tourists themselves have to take the blame for those sorts of deaths. If you are more sensible then you will obviously be safer. Also, there are many old sexpats in Thailand so they are bound to end up dying here. And i bet they are counted as tourists in the figures. So that's another distortion. I don't think it's a s dangerous as the figures make out. but it depends who you are and what you do.

Also, the figures don't take into account length of stay. Singapore seems very safe, but it's also very expensive, so people probably only visit for a few days at most. People come to Thailand for months at a time. It is obvious that you have more chance of dying if you are somewhere for months compared to somewhere else for a few days.

To get a more accurate view you need to take into account age, activities, length of stay, etc. Most tourists I read about that die in Thailand are usually engaged in a dangerous activity.

All good points and agree. I think the road accidents are a direct reflection of your comments about helmets. I partly thought it an interesting question because I think people would be surprised that given the number of tourists in Thailand the death rate would be surprisingly lower than most would think, outside road fatalities which I believe I once read (at least for Britts) was largely due to motorbike accidents & no helmets.

It just seems like every sad or negative story here is built up to be a representation of what is common here when in fact it is usually not inordinately common occurrence compared to even many fully industrialized nations.

Even with fire deaths ... I'm not sure of the number of deaths by fires in a year in Thailand but I believe it is around 5,000 (18 per million people) a year in the US and around 2,000 (16 per million people) in Japan. If Thailand is to be close to these countries there would need to be near 1,200 (17 per million) fire deaths a year or 3+ a day which I don't "think" is the case.

However, "if" Thailand does have a much lower fatality rate for fires, it isn't because of codes and enforcement in my opinion but because near everything is built of concrete.

Edit: forgot link http://www.usfa.fema...stics/v12i8.pdf

One would need to assume Thailand is accurately reporting all fire related deaths.. A monumental assumption.

??? This post, the link and quotes contains no Thai reported figures for fire related deaths in Thailand.

But I do see I made a mistake and misread the graph on the link. It is Finland that has a rate of 18 per million and NOT the US. The US is actually 12.4 per million or about 3900 people a year.

However, it is very interesting to note that back in 1979 the US had a rate of 34 deaths per million ... Interesting because we all know Thailand is not as modern as the US and is not a fully industrialized nation as the US. So, even if Thailand did have more fire deaths, why should anyone be shocked or surprised?

However, my guess is that Thailand has significantly less fire fatalities given so much is concrete here and not made of wood as is the case in many of the industrialized nations listed in the link .... not to mention there is no cold winter season here.

None of this helps this poor guy or any other fire victim but hopefully it will remind people that things are often not as safe outside industrialized nations be it enforcement or codes for fire, building, driving / roads or electricity to name a few. I think some times it is easy to forget this common sense fact and instead react outraged when we are reminded of this simple reality.

Edited by Nisa

Moving into self-preservation mode. Is there any guide book or website that rates places on their fire readiness? And like a previous post states the smoke kills you before the fire although this is debatable as people in the Lee Gardens Hotel with burns to 90% of their body were still breathing. Such a book or guide would save a lot of time as I hardly find a place in Thailand where I have an escape route in case of fire for budget places. They are so intent on keeping undesirables out there often is no exit. Such a shame to see a man in his prime living his dream to end like this. Guide books should not be able to recommend places that are obvious fire hazards - negligence.

Edited by heiwa

Got to love the volunteer fireys around here though. Check out this kid in an oversized turnout coat and helmet wearing shorts. At least he bothered to wear shoes i suppose

That is actually quiet well equipped for Thailand. When some transformers exploded outside my house recently, a small fire department pick-up truck arrived with firefighters dressed in t-shirts, shorts, and sandels. While the transformers dripped liquid fire they proceeded to try to put the resulting brush fire out by hitting it with tree branches until the tree branches then caught fire. I couldn't understand why it took 30 minutes for a water truck to arrive when the fire station was less than a km away. This in Phuket, the wealthiest province.

They are building a new 711 near my condo and it is a big one (I think they are calling it a super 711). At first I was happy because I saw there was a back door but then noticed it was just a window. Although Thailand should have these common sense (2 exits) safety rules and enforcement, it is sad that an International Company doesn't require its franchises (CP in this case) to at minimum operate/build under the same public safety rules as its own country (Japan) when feasible ... such as adding a 2nd exit in a public building.

Quite eerie as I was drinking in Happy Bar on Saturday night till about 2am on Sunday... sad.png

Not familiar with the bar but do you (or anybody know) if they cook or have open flames? Just curious what could have started, what I assume was a fast moving fire in what I am also assuming would be a bar with numerous patrons.

I have just back home after being with the owners and staff of Happy Bar as they are good friends with my boyfriend. There is no cooking or open flames within the bar. The fire started due to an electrical fault. In other words, faulty wiring. They had a small fire due to faulty wiring there last year but because the bar was open and staff were there, they were able to contain the fire and no damage was done or anyone was hurt. They paid to have the wiring all fixed after the fire however it looks like electricians here don't care much for the safety of others as the wiring was faulty again. One of the staff who lives above the bar happened to be awake and playing computer games when the fire started. He banged on everyone's door including the French guy who died. (they all knew him as he was a regular customer) however he got no answer when he banged on the door. The French guy lived on the top floor of the building and by this point the fire was getting serious and engulfing all of downstairs so he had to run down and save those who did wake up and answer their doors when he banged. If it wasn't for the guy banging on the doors there probably would have been more than one fatality.

It is a sad day for them all because he did try banging on his door and he feels terribly guilty but he did the best he could. He suffered minor burns and injuries from saving other people in the fire.

And before people start flaming about the staff not taking care with the electrics in the building. I must repeat... They got the whole place re-wired less than 12 months ago after the first minor fire so it wouldn't happen again... The electricians who obviously did the job didn't do it properly.

The owner of the bar has been told by the police that he has to pay for all damages of the building and the buildings surrounding where the fire started. However he lost everything in the fire himself, including a lot of his money so he is now facing more despair over this.

I never knew Charlie personally but I saw him in the bar quite a few times. May he RIP. :(

Got to love the volunteer fireys around here though. Check out this kid in an oversized turnout coat and helmet wearing shorts. At least he bothered to wear shoes i suppose

That is actually quiet well equipped for Thailand. When some transformers exploded outside my house recently, a small fire department pick-up truck arrived with firefighters dressed in t-shirts, shorts, and sandels. While the transformers dripped liquid fire they proceeded to try to put the resulting brush fire out by hitting it with tree branches until the tree branches then caught fire. I couldn't understand why it took 30 minutes for a water truck to arrive when the fire station was less than a km away. This in Phuket, the wealthiest province.

Would probably go a long way too if people made comments on the Travel websites or they added a safety rating. Not sure how long a hotel would keep that fire exit or stairway bolted if it was publicized and resulted in them losing business. Often people need a monetary punishment before they realize the safety importance ... Example: I like many started buckling up to avoid a ticket but now realize it is crazy to not wear your seat belt while on the road.

Quite eerie as I was drinking in Happy Bar on Saturday night till about 2am on Sunday... sad.png

Not familiar with the bar but do you (or anybody know) if they cook or have open flames? Just curious what could have started, what I assume was a fast moving fire in what I am also assuming would be a bar with numerous patrons.

I have just back home after being with the owners and staff of Happy Bar as they are good friends with my boyfriend. There is no cooking or open flames within the bar. The fire started due to an electrical fault. In other words, faulty wiring. They had a small fire due to faulty wiring there last year but because the bar was open and staff were there, they were able to contain the fire and no damage was done or anyone was hurt. They paid to have the wiring all fixed after the fire however it looks like electricians here don't care much for the safety of others as the wiring was faulty again. One of the staff who lives above the bar happened to be awake and playing computer games when the fire started. He banged on everyone's door including the French guy who died. (they all knew him as he was a regular customer) however he got no answer when he banged on the door. The French guy lived on the top floor of the building and by this point the fire was getting serious and engulfing all of downstairs so he had to run down and save those who did wake up and answer their doors when he banged. If it wasn't for the guy banging on the doors there probably would have been more than one fatality.

It is a sad day for them all because he did try banging on his door and he feels terribly guilty but he did the best he could. He suffered minor burns and injuries from saving other people in the fire.

And before people start flaming about the staff not taking care with the electrics in the building. I must repeat... They got the whole place re-wired less than 12 months ago after the first minor fire so it wouldn't happen again... The electricians who obviously did the job didn't do it properly.

The owner of the bar has been told by the police that he has to pay for all damages of the building and the buildings surrounding where the fire started. However he lost everything in the fire himself, including a lot of his money so he is now facing more despair over this.

I never knew Charlie personally but I saw him in the bar quite a few times. May he RIP. sad.png

Wow, thanks for sharing. Very tragic and really puts a visual of the events in your mind. sad.png

I never knew Charlie personally but I saw him in the bar quite a few times. May he RIP. sad.png

Wow, thanks for sharing. Very tragic and really puts a visual of the events in your mind. sad.png

Yeah its been a surreal evening hearing the events of how everything happened from those involved. Another thing as well... There were no smoke detectors in the hotel above the bar.

Which brings me to ask...

Can you even buy smoke detectors in Bangkok?! If so, where can you purchase them from? I have just come home to realise that I don't have a smoke detector or alarm in my room or in the corridors near my room of my condo. The whole thing has frightened me slightly and I want to take measures and have one fitted inside my room and in the corridor near my room. Hell I'll even pay for them myself and get them fitted myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah its been a surreal evening hearing the events of how everything happened from those involved. Another thing as well... There were no smoke detectors in the hotel above the bar.

Which brings me to ask...

Can you even buy smoke detectors in Bangkok?! If so, where can you purchase them from? I have just come home to realise that I don't have a smoke detector or alarm in my room or in the corridors near my room of my condo. The whole thing has frightened me slightly and I want to take measures and have one fitted inside my room and in the corridor near my room. Hell I'll even pay for them myself and get them fitted myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am working tonight but will be on a quest tomorrow. You got me thinking. I have got my planned routes to get out of my condo in an emergency (can drop down from balcony to parking garage ledge using aircon brackets, then help family down and have a big fire extinguisher am hoping can break the pad lock on the fire stairwell door near my room) BUT it never occurred to me about early warning or if we are asleep. This is probably very important since the stuff that usually burns in these buildings produces toxic smoke.

I did a quick internet search and am only seeing industrial type fire companies selling them. Home Pro doesn't appear to list them at all http://www.homepro.c...m_searchproduct

Wonder if they are somehow regulated because many (if not all) have some radiation material in them or if fire is a really low concern here.

Edited by Nisa

Homepro and Index have smoke alarms, bought them for the whole of my place years ago....battery operated, just stick on the ceiling, they are not regulated...

Thanks!!

Homepro and Index have smoke alarms, bought them for the whole of my place years ago....battery operated, just stick on the ceiling, they are not regulated...

Thanks!!

Double thanks! :) Will definitely have to invest in a couple.

Thanks for the report, I'm just wondering where is the Happy Bar and GH? Over at Phra Arthit (at the river) or over on the other end of KSR, around the Burger King? Any how this sounds like a tragedy for those involved, not only the french man but the owners as well. I've stayed around KSR several times and would like to know where it is.

KHAO SAN BLAZE

Frenchman killed in Khao San fire

The Nation

30179633-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A 27-year-old Frenchman died after a blaze engulfed a budget hotel in Bangkok's Khao San Road area early yesterday.

Hotel owner Nampong Pengboon identified the victim only as "Charlie" - a foreign man staying on the third floor who had been earning a living making and selling handmade shoes in the area. He also had a Thai girlfriend.

Police said they would await the results of an autopsy to confirm the identity of the victim, whose body was found on the roofdeck of the three-storey hotel, as the corpse was burnt beyond recognition.

Police say the fire started at Happy Bar on the ground floor of the hotel at 1.30am, sending people and guests running outside in panic. Firefighters worked for about half an hour before they were able put out the fire, which destroyed three buildings.

Nampong said the bar was closed for two days because of the royal funeral and he was not in the hotel when the fire occurred. Normally there were five people, including Charlie, staying in the hotel.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-10

Be aware that if you cook in your condo you wil probabaly end up pulling the batteries out...

This is true as well, and dont burn the toast either

In Australia smoke detectors are only required by law near the bedrooms, so the issue of cooking/burning toast doesn't normally arise. Of course a compact house could create its difficulties.

Even if you have smoke detectors, those security grates present a problem if you're trying to get out in a hurry. Maybe a block splitter/sledge hammer under the bed would be a good idea?

French tourist dies in fire at illegal Thai hotel

(AP)–17 hours ago

BANGKOK (AP) — A French tourist has been killed in an overnight fire that engulfed an illegally operated budget hotel in one of the Thai capital's main tourist districts.

Police say the fire started at a bar on the ground floor of a three-story building in the city's Khao San Road neighborhood, an area popular with backpackers and budget travelers. Five tourists escaped but a 27-year-old Frenchman was found burned to death.

Police Capt. Charnchai Changwang said Monday that the top floor of the building was occupied by an illegal guesthouse offering small rooms at cheap rates. The hotel was not registered with authorities and not subject to safety inspections.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hqi-KPRrT_sFf0gkM5O8D-Ez3srQ?docId=e733fa10500e493c83c58da183f60a2e

Sad news and condolences to the family. Accidents do happen, but it would be discouraging to see the follow up investigative journalism showing that it was some sort of negligence, ignoring standards and safety, or even worse, some sort of criminal act like arson for insurance.

Come on people......stop moaning about safety, fire-doors, escape-possibilities, common sense, parking in Sois blocking the road, blocked fire-escapes, fire fighters in shorts, lack of water, illegal budget-hotels................isn't that why we all love Thailand?

VERY SAD I just hope that he did not die because the fire exit was locked or because of a basic error that could have been avoided, why couldn't he get out? Surely no 26yr old tourists are sleeping in Kao San road at 1am. Thoughts go out to the family

Sad but fire exit or not nothing will happen he is just a farang tourist, I do not want to think this way but it is so true.RIP

VERY SAD I just hope that he did not die because the fire exit was locked or because of a basic error that could have been avoided, why couldn't he get out? Surely no 26yr old tourists are sleeping in Kao San road at 1am. Thoughts go out to the family

Sad but fire exit or not nothing will happen he is just a farang tourist, I do not want to think this way but it is so true.RIP

What's supposed to "happen" exactly?

Sad news indeed - i hope it wasn't Gazebo, it would be a shame that it took another "nightclub" related incident to make the authorities finally act on Health and Safety issues...

RIP

It would be amazing if another "New Year's Eve night club" incident would actually prompt the suitable authorities to do something about enforcing fire and safety regulations. In this case, we find out that it was an illegal guest house -- illegal I assume because adequate safety regulations were not met. So, what actually happens in Thailand when regulations aren't met -- pay the cops to turn a blind eye. It seems that the only reason people are employed to inspect buildings for safety violations is to give the cops a ready source of shake-down income. Pay the BIB -- keep your illegal business alive.

Edited by Wavefloater