French Tourist Dies In Khao San Road Fire

george

French tourist dies in Khao San Road fire

BANGKOK: -- A French tourist died after fire broke out on the first floor of a three-storey commercial building on Khao San Road at 1.30am early on Monday morning, Bangkok police said.

The victim was identified only as Charlie (surname unknown), said to be a French tourist about 26 years of age.

Firefighters took about 30 minutes to control the blaze.

Bangkok police are investigating the cause of the fire.

tvn.png

-- 2012-04-09

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a young mans dream to travel the globe. The stout of heart do and some find early death in a geophysical circumstance that had prevailed for eons. Such is the mystery of chance. Rest in peace dear traveler.

I have been working over 35 years in the field of geophysics. How much longer can I expect to dodge the bullet?

• Like 2

It is a young mans dream to travel the globe. The stout of heart do and some find early death in a geophysical circumstance that had prevailed for eons. Such is the mystery of chance. Rest in peace dear traveler.

I have been working over 35 years in the field of geophysics. How much longer can I expect to dodge the bullet?

As long as those with no knowledge of the subject continue to offer such assessments. You will be immortal, at least in the hearts of those that love and admire you...............

This story leaves so many details unanswered.

What was the victim doing in this commercial building? Was it an illegal boarding house?

How did the fire start? Was it electrical. foul play, suspicious acts. cooking, etc.?

Sad news indeed - i hope it wasn't Gazebo, it would be a shame that it took another "nightclub" related incident to make the authorities finally act on Health and Safety issues...

RIP

I am in Astrophysics. How long do I have?

• Like 2

VERY SAD I just hope that he did not die because the fire exit was locked or because of a basic error that could have been avoided, why couldn't he get out? Surely no 26yr old tourists are sleeping in Kao San road at 1am. Thoughts go out to the family

So the fire happened at 1.30 am, yet we know incredibly little about this event which happened hours ago. I guess the Nation reporters are late risers.

or around the corner at the funeral service...

http://www.washingto...VF5S_story.html

BANGKOK — A French tourist has been killed in an overnight fire that engulfed an illegally operated budget hotel in one of the Thai capital’s main tourist districts.

Police say the fire started at a bar on the ground floor of a three-story building in the city’s Khao San Road neighborhood, an area popular with backpackers and budget travelers. Five tourists escaped but a 27-year-old Frenchman was found burned to death.

• Like 1

I am in Astrophysics. How long do I have?

I'm in Quantum physics. I'm elsewhere at the moment.

-mel.

• Like 1

Travel advisory in all Developed countries 'When traveling to Thailand bring your own smoke detector and fire ax'. No building is safe in this country it is only surprising that so few have actually died here. I just left a 20 story commercial building that had the doors PADLOCKED. If a fire broke out all would be trapped unless you could find something heavy to break the door with ... and I didn't see anything heavy in sight.

http://www.washingto...VF5S_story.html

BANGKOK — A French tourist has been killed in an overnight fire that engulfed an illegally operated budget hotel in one of the Thai capital’s main tourist districts.

Police say the fire started at a bar on the ground floor of a three-story building in the city’s Khao San Road neighborhood, an area popular with backpackers and budget travelers. Five tourists escaped but a 27-year-old Frenchman was found burned to death.

ALWAYS check the hotel for fire escape, extinguishers and fire proof materials, even more so in Thailand where regulations are not enforced.

I used to be ignorant in these matters before, but was lucky enough to survive the Santika nightclub inferno 3 years ago. Now that have seen fire spreading in seconds rather than minutes, I am much more careful where I go and stay.

I suggest all travellers do the same. Don't assume things are as safe here in terms of fireproofing, because it's not and will never be.

very true ....here in los and the philippines they dont give a fxxxxk ..fire fighting equip is often mismatched and cant connect or is bogus chinese made .... i also lucky to escape ...the regent in 1985 in manila ..that was a complete scandal .....cheers

It was down a small soi which is opposite Khao San Centre which is half way down Khao San. Its a small looking little guesthouse kind of place. I've walked past there quite a few times and its very low budget looking. I never realised it was illegal though!? They don't try to conceal the fact that its a guesthouse?!