French Tourist Dies In Khao San Road Fire

george

at illegal Thai hotel

The type that you can check-in using just a first name. RIP sad.png

The authorities have his surname now as all the of bar staff at Happy Bar knew him quite well. He wasn't really a tourist... He's been in Thailand for over a year. Also the books with all the guests details which include first name, last name, passport number etc. got burnt in the fire. The owner of the hotel just couldn't remember off the top of his head the surname of his tenants. However the staff at Happy Bar have alerted the authorities of Charlie's surname and also contacted some of his family. I had to help with a little translation with it all last night.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

at illegal Thai hotel

The type that you can check-in using just a first name. RIP sad.png

I believe is was mentioned police are not releasing the name until embassy/family is notified. Not to mention it is common in Thailand for friends to not know the last name of their friends or that we can use your same logic to come up with a negative view of the victim and say he was the type of foreign tourist who traveled without any ID ... or we can simply consider that such information (ID and registrations) were lost in the fire.

We don't even know if this being a legal or illegal hotel had anything to do with the death that resulted from a fire in a separate business. As far as I know, smoke detection or sprinklers would still not have been required even if it was a registered inn and even if it was registered there is no guarantee (or even likelihood) they would have found an electric problem in an adjoining business before the electrical problem caused problems.

Edited by Nisa

Come on people......stop moaning about safety, fire-doors, escape-possibilities, common sense, parking in Sois blocking the road, blocked fire-escapes, fire fighters in shorts, lack of water, illegal budget-hotels................isn't that why we all love Thailand?

We love Thai culture, language, history, music, food, and people that's why we are here.

Not for the cheap place to eat, sleep,drink, buy sex services, available drug or treated like King (Farang is king) as you might imagine.

• Like 2

It is a young mans dream to travel the globe. The stout of heart do and some find early death in a geophysical circumstance that had prevailed for eons. Such is the mystery of chance. Rest in peace dear traveler.

I have been working over 35 years in the field of geophysics. How much longer can I expect to dodge the bullet?

I am in Astrophysics. How long do I have?

Light years, of course, unless you teach and your pupils are dilated because you cover the material at non-relativistic speeds.

Edited by FangFerang

VERY SAD I just hope that he did not die because the fire exit was locked or because of a basic error that could have been avoided, why couldn't he get out? Surely no 26yr old tourists are sleeping in Kao San road at 1am. Thoughts go out to the family

Sad but fire exit or not nothing will happen he is just a farang tourist, I do not want to think this way but it is so true.RIP

What's supposed to "happen" exactly?

If the accounts reported by one of the posters here is accurate, fire exit or not would likely not have made a difference as the poor guy never answered his door when they banged on all the doors to alert everyone of the fire.

VERY SAD I just hope that he did not die because the fire exit was locked or because of a basic error that could have been avoided, why couldn't he get out? Surely no 26yr old tourists are sleeping in Kao San road at 1am. Thoughts go out to the family

Sad but fire exit or not nothing will happen he is just a farang tourist, I do not want to think this way but it is so true.RIP

What's supposed to "happen" exactly?

If the accounts reported by one of the posters here is accurate, fire exit or not would likely not have made a difference as the poor guy never answered his door when they banged on all the doors to alert everyone of the fire.

I suppose he was busy at that time. Some other thing in life take priority.

Come on people......stop moaning about safety, fire-doors, escape-possibilities, common sense, parking in Sois blocking the road, blocked fire-escapes, fire fighters in shorts, lack of water, illegal budget-hotels................isn't that why we all love Thailand?

No.

• Like 1

Re smoke alarm comment : Be aware that if you cook in your condo you wil probabaly end up pulling the batteries out...

Just don't put it in the kitchen. Who cooks in the bedroom? They are 600b for Homepro / Global.

I hope this is tongue in cheek, if not it is an absolutely cretinous statement.

Even a base jumper takes "known" risk.

Re smoke alarm comment : Be aware that if you cook in your condo you wil probabaly end up pulling the batteries out...

Just don't put it in the kitchen. Who cooks in the bedroom? They are 600b for Homepro / Global.

Most condos and apartments don't have a separate kitchen, let alone one with exhausts ... not to mention most are probably studio units. So, actually a very fair head-up to people.

Thought you might be interested to see some pictures of Happy Bar after the fire.

http://photobucket.com/happybarfire

I took these myself today on my phone when I went to go and have a look with my boyfriend.

I basically took pictures of the small soi it is down so you get an idea as to why it was hard for the fire engine and firefighters to access the fire. Obviously some pictures of the devastating remains and the only thing which did remain was the Happy Bar sign.

• Like 1

Thought you might be interested to see some pictures of Happy Bar after the fire.

http://photobucket.com/happybarfire

I took these myself today on my phone when I went to go and have a look with my boyfriend.

I basically took pictures of the small soi it is down so you get an idea as to why it was hard for the fire engine and firefighters to access the fire. Obviously some pictures of the devastating remains and the only thing which did remain was the Happy Bar sign.

That was the Reggae Bar in '95-'96 with Ae and Sut (RIP) from Koh Samui), Sut was also working leather in his atelier there (shoes, bags). A large group of friends took over and opened the Artsy Fartsy pub in '97-'98. Later on, one of them, Oot, runned the place on his own and he and others stayed there, this wasn't a hotel or guest house.

Edited by khunsiam

To my recollections I don't believe they actually have building codes. Does anyone know if they have building codes in Thailand.. Many of those places on khaoSan Rd. Are a fire looking to happen. Most of the wiring looks like it has been "mickey moused" together.

There is one place called Sweetys Guest House particularly in the entry way and on the ceiling where there wiring for lights looks like it could easily be a fire hazard. It is a classic example of an absentee landlord just milking the money out and doing nothing about the inside of the place. On the other hand there are some places where the owners have a high pride of ownership and pay serious attention to keeping their places shipshape

The story about the French Tourist that died in the fire is something that should have never happened. My heart goes out to his family and close friends.

• Like 1

To my recollections I don't believe they actually have building codes. Does anyone know if they have building codes in Thailand.. Many of those places on khaoSan Rd. Are a fire looking to happen. Most of the wiring looks like it has been "mickey moused" together.

There is one place called Sweetys Guest House particularly in the entry way and on the ceiling where there wiring for lights looks like it could easily be a fire hazard. It is a classic example of an absentee landlord just milking the money out and doing nothing about the inside of the place. On the other hand there are some places where the owners have a high pride of ownership and pay serious attention to keeping their places shipshape

The story about the French Tourist that died in the fire is something that should have never happened. My heart goes out to his family and close friends.

"On the other hand there are some places where the owners have a high pride of ownership and pay serious attention to keeping their places shipshape" - These are usually Farang owners.

He was my brother...

Thank's to moderate your words....

we can't understand what's happened....

Every informations are differents.....

RIP.....

Very sorry for your loss. It's a tragedy. I hope you can find the truth.