Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Security Threatens To Halt Service Following Pay Dispute

webfact

Airport link security threatens to halt service following pay dispute

BANGKOK, 9 April 2012 (NNT) - A Transport Ministry official said the State Railway Of Thailand Electrical Train (SRTET) failed to pay security guards employed at Airport Link stations a new daily minimum wage of 300 baht. Their previous minimum wage was 210 baht per day.

Asia Security Management (ACM), a subsidiary of the consortium hired to provide security for Suvannabhumi airport, is still awaiting payment of wages from the SRTET.

The official said the consortium obtained the security contract which lasted from December 2011-March 2012, during which delayed payments from the SRTET led to financial rows between the two companies.

On April 1, ACM was awarded another contract term by the railway company, and has since requested a wage increase in line with the current government’s 300-baht daily minimum wage scheme; however, The SRTET refused to comply with the request, given no government agencies, including the STRT, have received instructions to do so from the government. Asia Security Management has now threatened to halt their services following the disputes.

The official elaborated that the SRTET is planning a meeting with ACM executives to ask the company to continue providing their security services until the SRTET has been formally ordered to comply with the wage policy change.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-09 footer_n.gif

This is not surprising, but the real story is that the SRTET essentially has no money. Obviously the line itself is subsidized and runs at a loss, but the SRTET is effectively not given any resources by the SRT in terms of small but important things. One example I can relate from personal experience is that in a meeting with a high-ranking SRTET official, I learned that they have a marketing budget that is effectively zero. While the infrastructure itself is hard to miss up close, you would be surprised how many people still don't know it exists / where it stops / how to access stations via car, bus, etc.

Edited by planr
  • Like 1

This is not surprising, but the real story is that the SRTET essentially has no money. Obviously the line itself is subsidized and runs at a loss, but the SRTET is effectively not given any resources by the SRT in terms of small but important things. One example I can relate from personal experience is that in a meeting with a high-ranking SRTET official, I learned that they have a marketing budget that is effectively zero. While the infrastructure itself is hard to miss up close, you would be surprised how many people still don't know it exists / where it stops / how to access stations via car, bus, etc.

The SRT is straight out of the dinosaur age. Their legacy costs for pensions and benefits is gargantuan, and yet no one and I mean no one is allowed to mess with it.

If the Security Guards went on strike, how on earth would that make any difference to the Airport link. It could not be any slower or un-organised any more than what it is. They are now asking people to book in 4 hours earlier for their flights.

The SRT is straight out of the dinosaur age. Their legacy costs for pensions and benefits is gargantuan, and yet no one and I mean no one is allowed to mess with it.

Sad but true... wins the "understatement of the day" award in my book smile.png

If the Security Guards went on strike, how on earth would that make any difference to the Airport link. It could not be any slower or un-organised any more than what it is. They are now asking people to book in 4 hours earlier for their flights.

There is a fundamental flaw in the Airport Link's "Check-in" service, which is that proper baggage screening (and security in transport) requires numerous hurdles to be jumped for key markets, particularly Western Europe, Australia, USA, etc). At present, baggage going to these destinations MUST be checked in at Suvarnibhumi or it won't get to its final destination.

That said, the issue mentioned in the article has nothing to do with baggage screening, rather the ordinary security guard service for station areas / platforms, etc, just like you see on the BTS and MRT.

Edited by planr

Sad but true... wins the "understatement of the day" award in my book smile.png

There is a fundamental flaw in the Airport Link's "Check-in" service, which is that proper baggage screening (and security in transport) requires numerous hurdles to be jumped for key markets, particularly Western Europe, Australia, USA, etc). At present, baggage going to these destinations MUST be checked in at Suvarnibhumi or it won't get to its final destination.

That said, the issue mentioned in the article has nothing to do with baggage screening, rather the ordinary security guard service for station areas / platforms, etc, just like you see on the BTS and MRT.

I have never had a problem checking my luggage through to America or Canada in Chiang Mai.

How can anyone live on an official salary of 210 baht a day in BKK unless you're a policeman?

Low-cost housing, low-cost food and low-cost transport are abundant in Bangkok.

You are jesting, of course.........

bang on !,... i have no idea how to get to the airport link, never even seen it sign posted at swampy , if it was easy to access i would use it .

• Like 1

The SRTET refused to comply with the request, given no government agencies, including the STRT, have received instructions to do so from the government

ITS THE LAW DUMMIES.

Name-calling is so, uh, gauche!

The SRTET refused to comply with the request, given no government agencies, including the STRT, have received instructions to do so from the government

ITS THE LAW DUMMIES.

Well, I am going out on a limb here, but Jim, behave yourself.

You're confusing the immigration lines AT the airport with the airport rail link train which I've used a 100 times and found to be wonderfully efficient. Its cheap, clean and I've never had to wait more than 15 mins for a train and that usually means I've just missed the last one. Have you had particularly negative experiences or are you just moaning for the sake of it?

ITS THE LAW DUMMIES.

Law Dummies...... is that another name for policemen?

• Like 1

ITS THE LAW DUMMIES.

Law Dummies...... is that another name for policemen?

Missing comma.

It's the law, dummies.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Wow - somebody that understands!! get with it folks!

Edited by BrianCR

Sounds like Thailand's very own ghost train. Do they have a platform 9 1/2 as well?

How can anyone live on an official salary of 210 baht a day in BKK unless you're a policeman?

Low-cost housing, low-cost food and low-cost transport are abundant in Bangkok.

You are jesting, of course.........

I am not. Apartments can be rented for 3k baht per month (though probably not in the city centre). Food can be found for 30 to 40 baht per plate anywhere in Bangkok. Buses can be taken across Bangkok for 0 to 8 baht per ride (some bus routes are free).

The average monthly income per household in Greater Bangkok based on the 2007 Household Socio-economic Survey was 35,007 baht.

You may need to visit Myanmar, India, Bangladesh instead to get a better understanding of poverty.

Edited by hyperdimension

I travel in and out of Swampy at least once a month, I've never seen a sign for the Airport Link and have no idea where it is. I'd like to try it, of course, but suspect if I asked anyone at "Information" I'd just be told that it's closed today and I need to take a limousine.

So I walk up to departures and take a cab there. It saves the taxi queues in the smoke stack downstairs, not to mention 50baht plus the meter starts when I get in, not 5 minutes before I get in.

I have never had a problem checking my luggage through to America or Canada in Chiang Mai.

Please let us know how the service is on the Chiang Mai Airport Link rail line... oh wait rolleyes.gif

Sounds like Thailand's very own ghost train. Do they have a platform 9 1/2 as well?

Not quite (the City Line is basically operating at capacity, while the Express Line is the money-pit)... and yes, but I'm not allowed to reveal its location ph34r.png

I travel in and out of Swampy at least once a month, I've never seen a sign for the Airport Link and have no idea where it is. I'd like to try it, of course, but suspect if I asked anyone at "Information" I'd just be told that it's closed today and I need to take a limousine.

So I walk up to departures and take a cab there. It saves the taxi queues in the smoke stack downstairs, not to mention 50baht plus the meter starts when I get in, not 5 minutes before I get in.

FYI for your next trip, there are signs for the train on the arrival level once you clear customs and exit into the main waiting area (where all the mobile phone shops / banks / etc). The train "logo" and arrow/location is on the same sign as public taxi / bus / etc, so it's definitely not obvious (which it should be IMO), but it is there.

Good on you for the taxis... I do that as well, never a problem

ITS THE LAW DUMMIES.

No it's Not!

The law say company has to pay 300thb minimum.

The SRT does NOT employ the Guards.

They are Leasing Staff from ACM and THEY think they can just alter a contract based on new minimum wages regulation.

If the Guards go to strike, ACM simply Breach the cobtract they have with the SRT.

Edited by nullx8