Do Anyone Know This Australian Guy Looking For Land In Southern Thailand?

Someone mentioned earlier that selling real estate is on the list of prohibited jobs for ferang anyone confirm this if so Olsen you may have a work permit but it is not for the job you are doing hence how are you going to take anyone to court.

The few times me and the wife have looked at land or rentals as soon as a ferang appears I walk away my wife is a local and speaks Thai so why the he'll do I need to deal with these socalled real estate agents

Someone mentioned earlier that selling real estate is on the list of prohibited jobs for ferang anyone confirm this if so Olsen you may have a work permit but it is not for the job you are doing hence how are you going to take anyone to court.

The few times me and the wife have looked at land or rentals as soon as a ferang appears I walk away my wife is a local and speaks Thai so why the he'll do I need to deal with these socalled real estate agents

your wife is local and speaks thai wow amazing

I am permitted because my wife do not speak Danish and her English is not that good...but if she have Thai clients, she can handle on her own....

So you are permitted to do real estate if you have "special skills" that Thais do not have...

Why do you name the real estate agents "socalled"??

You can easily avoid the brokers, just tell your Thai wife to mention when she is looking for property, she must tell people she will ONLY deal with owners directly!

A problem for buyers in my area of Thailand is that 90% of the land owners here they live far away, since the land is bought for investment or they have relocated to another area. So they only deal with brokers and never directly with buyers....

Yes, I am an agent.

My wife is Thai and own the company.

And yes, I have a work permit to assist her selling her properties.

I am aware that most buyers out there do not like brokers, because the brokers are "jacking up the prices"....

But not all brokers are alike, right?

In the area where I work the Thai brokers are the worst...they can easily add some 20 to 50% on the property price ;-)

I add 5% to my prices only when the seller do not want to pay the commission.

This Dale guy I never signed a service agreement with him because I have the sole sales right on 4 of the 5 plots he viewed....so no way he could contact the other owners...but the 5th plot was the plot he liked....so it was my luck ;-)

But yeah....I do have a contract with the seller of this plot but he stated that the buyer only bought the land if the seller cut my 5% off the price...

And he had to sell...so he cut the price and now he cannot affird to pay...so suing him and wait 2 years for the case to reach court is pointless...at least we do not want that....

By the way, this is FIRST time in my 15 years in the trade here in LOS that a client has gone behind my back...coz I do protect myself with service agreements....

However even with a signed service agreement some of those nasty buyers can still piss you off and you must then wait 2 or 3 years for the case to reach the court...and many of the buyers know that...

Strange ... Phuket has hundreds of brokers and agents...must be hard to live there and be regarded as the scum of the earth, he he. Everybody hate us brokers...even the sellers who hire us to sell their properties hate us :-)

I must say...if I spoke Thai myself or have a Thai wife, I would also never use a broker myself!

Find the properties yourself and save the 3 to 5% broker fee plus the 10 to 50% "jack-up" fee some of the sleezy brokers add on the top of their prices ;-)

If you in fact have a workpermit,then why you are staying on a visa supporting your sons?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/442307-my-visa-expires-today/page__fromsearch__1

I smell more porkies.

Yes, I am an agent.

I am aware that most buyers out there do not like brokers, because the brokers are "jacking up the prices"....

In the area where I work the Thai brokers are the worst...they can easily add some 20 to 50% on the property price ;-)

This Dale guy I never signed a service agreement with him because I have the sole sales right on 4 of the 5 plots he viewed....so no way he could contact the other owners...but the 5th plot was the plot he liked....so it was my luck ;-)

But yeah....I do have a contract with the seller of this plot but he stated that the buyer only bought the land if the seller cut my 5% off the price...

And he had to sell...so he cut the price and now he cannot affird to pay...so suing him and wait 2 years for the case to reach court is pointless...at least we do not want that....

By the way, this is FIRST time in my 15 years in the trade here in LOS that a client has gone behind my back...coz I do protect myself with service agreements....

However even with a signed service agreement some of those nasty buyers can still piss you off and you must then wait 2 or 3 years for the case to reach the court...and many of the buyers know that...

Strange ... Phuket has hundreds of brokers and agents...must be hard to live there and be regarded as the scum of the earth, he he. Everybody hate us brokers...even the sellers who hire us to sell their properties hate us :-)

I must say...if I spoke Thai myself or have a Thai wife, I would also never use a broker myself!

Find the properties yourself and save the 3 to 5% broker fee plus the 10 to 50% "jack-up" fee some of the sleezy brokers add on the top of their prices ;-)

If you in fact have a workpermit,then why you are staying on a visa supporting your sons?

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

I smell more porkies.

In theroy he could have a Non-imm O and could be issued a WP on the basis of his "O" , a Non-imm B is not always required

Yes, I am an agent.

I smell more porkies.

In theroy he could have a Non-imm O and could be issued a WP on the basis of his "O" , a Non-imm B is not always required

But isn't it so that your visa is valid as long as your workpermit?

So if he really has a workpermit,then why his visa expires?

I don't know why the OP's visa and work permit status is of interest here. What is it with farangs trying to claim each other are ilegal? Get over it. There are government offices capable of doing the job of checking on ilegal workers. But I'll play along. A holder of a non-o for visa marriage or support of children can be issued a work permit. The work permit can be issued on the basis that the OP is a consultant for his wife's real estate business.

Yes, I am an agent.

I smell more porkies.

My "visa and WP" expires every year...and I have to get renewed and I am on an extension of stay and fully legal....

please note I am not sayng the person concerned has a WP, mearly pointing out that it could be possible...although I beleive the person concerned could be BSing as well...as highly unlikely you would given a WP to "assist" his wife....

Yes, I am an agent.

I smell more porkies.

Some prefer to stay on the basis of marriage rather than extensions based on salary from WP....if you finish work and you are on an extension due to the salary provided, you have to reapply and possibly leave to get a new visa.

is it really on the prohibited list....why dont the immigration office do something when all these real estate agents go for extensions etc...

Strange...every single time I dare to post something here at TV my motives and legacy is ALWAYS questioned!

In this thread I am accused of (or at least questioned!):

1. Working illegal as a broker

2. Working illegal without a work permit

3. Overcharging my clients as a broker/agent

But I must say the Thai law is quite strange too...

As for:

1. Only Thais and Americans (Threaty of Amity) are allowed to work in real estate, selling land and property.

But farangs married to a Thai are allowed to "assist" their wives in the business. Sort of "consultant" even this work position is not accepted anymore, UNLESS you are married to the managing director of the Thai real estate company. The "consultant" position was removed from the accepted positions last year or the year before (don't remember the date)...

This leads to:

2. I do have a work permit since I do assist my wife. But I don't want to apply for a visa on the basis of work. First you need minimum 50,000 THB monthly salary as a Danish national. Then you have to prove you pay your yearly tax of this amount. Then if my wife close the company I have to leave the country to get a new visa and apply for another visa on the basis of supporting my children or on the basis of marriage.

I chose to base my visa on supporting my children because in the event I am divorced from my wife I still can get a visa for supporting my children, but if I base my visa on marriage I will get a kick in my bum if I get a divorce....bye bye Thailand...

As PattayaPhom states in his latest post, why do the immigration not clamp down on those illegal brokers who do visa runs...I can only agree with you....how hard can it be?

The immigration officers can just take a look at the internet..there are tons of websites run by farangs in Thailand who are not Americans and who are not married to a Thai...

I did actually ask the immigration once...They said it was too difficult to prove! A website, an email address and a phone number to the farang is not enoug. They have to catch the farang red-handed doing his illegal job...and it is far too time consuming and the immigrations do not have the resoures....

3. I am aware of this breed of brokers/agents overcharging their clients...and they give us all a bad reputation...so I can hardly blame the hard-core posters here at TV for being grumpy....

I like to compare brokers/agents with Muslims. Many people hate Muslims because of terrorism and they regard all (or most) Muslims as terrorists. Same same with us brokers. Many people hate us because some of us overcharge their clients.

There is not much to do about this and I have learned to live with it and ignore the usual rants by the grumpy old posters ;-)

Strange...every single time I dare to post something here at TV my motives and legacy is ALWAYS questioned!

As for:

1. Only Thais and Americans (Threaty of Amity) are allowed to work in real estate, selling land and property.

But farangs married to a Thai are allowed to "assist" their wives in the business. Sort of "consultant" even this work position is not accepted anymore, UNLESS you are married to the managing director of the Thai real estate company. The "consultant" position was removed from the accepted positions last year or the year before (don't remember the date)...

This leads to:

2. I do have a work permit since I do assist my wife. But I don't want to apply for a visa on the basis of work. First you need minimum 50,000 THB monthly salary as a Danish national. Then you have to prove you pay your yearly tax of this amount. Then if my wife close the company I have to leave the country to get a new visa and apply for another visa on the basis of supporting my children or on the basis of marriage.

I chose to base my visa on supporting my children because in the event I am divorced from my wife I still can get a visa for supporting my children, but if I base my visa on marriage I will get a kick in my bum if I get a divorce....bye bye Thailand...

Under item 1: this sort of rule is not and has not ever been rule under Thai labour law, Marriage status has absolutely no bearing on being granted WP, whether married to a "managing director" wife or not

"consultant" position has not been removed last year or any year...because there was never a rule like this.

Amity agreements have absolutely no bearing on working in real estate per se...Amity agreement rules permit a US citizen to hold 100% ownership of a Thai entity, thats all. There is absolutely nothing in Thai law which permits only Thai's & Americans to work in real estate

Therefore everything you have written under item 1 is absolute rubbish...you are making it up.

Under item 2: THB 50,000 relates to being granted an extension of stay has absolutely no bearing on the visa you hold...based on what you say if you do in fact have a WP you are doing 3 monthly visa runs out of country. The fact you have a WP means you are paying tax.

What sort of company is your wife a managing director of ??

Edited by Soutpeel

People only question you because you make statements like You could take them to court and claim you have a wp on the basis of possessing special skills of which you claim is speaking Dutch wp are not issued just because you can speak a foreign language.

Just how many people work for your wives company , there is also a minimum wage of 30,000 for any work permit issued to ferang,

I think you probably do have a wp but it is not for the work you are actually doing and if you tried to take any to court to chase lost monies it would in fact come to light that you are doing a job which your wp does not cover you for, I don't have any problems with what you do but you should not come on the forum claiming this and that when you are probably not 100% legit yourself

Edited by taninthai

there is also a minimum wage of 30,000 for any work permit issued to ferang,

no there is not

There is no minimum legally stated to be issued a WP, I believe you maybe be referring to extension of stay...even then the amount required is based on nationality

no there is not

There is no minimum legally stated to be issued a WP, I believe you maybe be referring to extension of stay...even then the amount required is based on nationality

I think you will find there is a minimum wage ,but yes I was wrong it's 50,000 not 30,000 for Europeans

Minimum Salary Requirements per Nationality

European Countries, Australia, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A. Baht 50,000/month.

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong Baht 45,000/month.

Asian Countries, South America, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa: Baht 35,000/month.

African Countries, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam Baht 25,000/month.

The above is taken from sun belt asia

no there is not

I think you will find there is a minimum wage ,but yes I was wrong it's 50,000 not 30,000 for Europeans

Minimum Salary Requirements per Nationality

European Countries, Australia, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A. Baht 50,000/month.

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong Baht 45,000/month.

Asian Countries, South America, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa: Baht 35,000/month.

African Countries, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam Baht 25,000/month.

The above is taken from sun belt asia

This is for extension of stay based on employment, not for the issue of the WP, the financial criteria is set by immigration not the department of labour (who issue the WP)....go back and read a little more...

as stated there is no set financial criteria to be issued a WP, however immigration set financial criteria if you wish to apply for extension of stay, ie you dont leave the country every 90 days, but report every 90 days.

Somebody can have a WP and they have to leave every 90 days and do a visa run if they dont have extension of stay, and in this instance, there is no set financial criteria.

People only question you because you make statements like You could take them to court and claim you have a wp on the basis of possessing special skills of which you claim is speaking Dutch wp are not issued just because you can speak a foreign language.

Just how many people work for your wives company , there is also a minimum wage of 30,000 for any work permit issued to ferang,

I think you probably do have a wp but it is not for the work you are actually doing and if you tried to take any to court to chase lost monies it would in fact come to light that you are doing a job which your wp does not cover you for, I don't have any problems with what you do but you should not come on the forum claiming this and that when you are probably not 100% legit yourself

Thousands of English teachers are issued work permits solely on the basis they speak another language...

As for:

This leads to:

Under item 1: this sort of rule is not and has not ever been rule under Thai labour law, Marriage status has absolutely no bearing on being granted WP, whether married to a "managing director" wife or not

"consultant" position has not been removed last year or any year...because there was never a rule like this.

Amity agreements have absolutely no bearing on working in real estate per se...Amity agreement rules permit a US citizen to hold 100% ownership of a Thai entity, thats all. There is absolutely nothing in Thai law which permits only Thai's & Americans to work in real estate

Therefore everything you have written under item 1 is absolute rubbish...you are making it up.

Under item 2: THB 50,000 relates to being granted an extension of stay has absolutely no bearing on the visa you hold...based on what you say if you do in fact have a WP you are doing 3 monthly visa runs out of country. The fact you have a WP means you are paying tax.

What sort of company is your wife a managing director of ??

Amazing! Now I am also accused of lying!

I ask a simple question and then I just get rant by rant....

The things I state is things I've learned in my 15 years living and working in Thailand.

As for:

1. So I lie to you?? Fine...no problem. I got this info from the labor officers who issued my work permits...And I know it is true because I was actully employed as a "Consultant" for years and then I was asked to change my position....

As for the Americans. Why don´t you do your research before you sprout nonsense?

This is what Siam Legal says on their website (They are one of the sponsors on TV, so they are maybe also lying??) :

"American companies may engage in business on the same basis as Thai companies, and are exempt from most of the restrictions of foreign investment imposed by the Alien Business Law of 1972."

Do I still "make it up"??

2. Yes if you want a 1 year visa you must show proof of income...or show a bank statement with 400,000 THB....or a combination....the 50,000 THB is the salary I need as minimum to be employed by a Thai company...but I only need to earn 40,000 THB/month to get a 1 year visa....

I could actually get a special permission working here based on my ability to speak Danish. Actually I was offered a job at the Danish Embassy...just because I do speak Danish!

Or if I speak perfectly Swedish I could work on a special permission in Ikea in Bangkok ;-)

In my opinion having WP has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

OP you are shaming and naming the buyer who went behind your back, where in REALITY you should be blaming the seller who went behind your back and made a deal with a buyer who you introduced

Reading your post and reply's it does seem as you lack experience and knowledge in the industry.

Furthermore, one point which really makes no sense or shows how really in-experienced you are is your following post

You then state

One funny thing however in this case is that the 5th plot I offered Dale at a price 200,000 THB lower than the seller's price, because the seller told me he needed a quick sale and would accept a lower price.

So the seller made an extra 140K or so, but he does not have money to pay your fees??????

I am sorry to say, but it does appear as seller is the one who "ripped you off" while the buyer did what any human being with common sense would do-try to get a better deal.

On the subject of agents and brokers, i also do not see a problem with them putting on a hefty % on top of the price(i am not an agent, nor have i ever been one)

But agents do put in some work, advertising, calls, gas, and everything else does cost money," it is a business to sell a business" as the old saying goes.

Thousands of English teachers are issued work permits solely on the basis they speak another language...

Or claim they can speak another language at least LOL

Not too hard when the issuing officer does not speak any other LOL

Reminds me of my ex,(thai) applied for a job as an english teacher at her local school, but they already had one, though did have a position for Computers teacher. She was speaking all the computer terms in English, so the principle gave her the job.

IN reality,she did not know how to install a simple anti-virus :)

1. So I lie to you?? Fine...no problem. I got this info from the labor officers who issued my work permits...And I know it is true because I was actully employed as a "Consultant" for years and then I was asked to change my position....

As for the Americans. Why don´t you do your research before you sprout nonsense?

This is what Siam Legal says on their website (They are one of the sponsors on TV, so they are maybe also lying??) :

"American companies may engage in business on the same basis as Thai companies, and are exempt from most of the restrictions of foreign investment imposed by the Alien Business Law of 1972."

Do I still "make it up"??

2. Yes if you want a 1 year visa you must show proof of income...or show a bank statement with 400,000 THB....or a combination....the 50,000 THB is the salary I need as minimum to be employed by a Thai company...but I only need to earn 40,000 THB/month to get a 1 year visa....

your previous statement and I quote

"Sort of "consultant" even this work position is not accepted anymore, UNLESS you are married to the managing director of the Thai real estate company. The "consultant" position was removed from the accepted positions last year or the year before (don't remember the date)"

Please direct me to the relevant paragraphs under the Thai labour law which supports this statement, and show me the paragraph which was revoked related to a position of "consultant"

"Only Thais and Americans (Threaty of Amity) are allowed to work in real estate, selling land and property"

Please direct me to the relevant paragraphs under the Thai labour law which supports this statement

You can provide this in either English or Thai, and am not looking for what a legal website may or may not say....looking for the actual paragraphs from the labour act.