Songkran Festival: Soaked And Loving It

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember if a watergun sprayer causes you to go down on the motorbike they face 2 years in jail and a 4,000 Bhat fine. I usually carry a few large rocks in my hand.

I have seen in the touristy pub and bar areas areas of Chiang Mai where drunk tourists target the faces of everyone with full on buckets of water. Last year 2 young ladies were knocked off they motorbike and were in tears while all the tourists laughed. 2 Thai men and myself helped them up and removed them from the scene. This is not the way Songkran is meant to be. \

See the difference between what most Thais do in Chiang mai with water and what the tourists do in these videos.

and

Just the truth,

Randy

There are some reasonable and fun places to celebrate Songkran where it is much more civilized. Many villages in Issan have a great holiday with family and friends with lots of water splashed without much ado. ........ Then there are the places which cater to Tourists where it is insane and dangerous.

Truly "traditional" Songkran celebrations--which you can still find, more or less, in many villages upcountry--have nothing to do with what the holiday has degenerated into.

The purpose of the water-splashing, traditionally done first and foremost on Buddha images, is to wash away all that is bad from the previous year...and doing so to a person was a great sign of respect. When done to older people (older than oneself), it was done very gently, and, if a really old person or if the dunkee offered his/her hands, done ONLY in a trickle on the hands.

The <deleted> who don't know when to stop, who douse those older then themselves all over their bodies (including their work clothes, telephones, briefcases, bags of shopping purchases) repeatedly even when the hands are proffered, and when the dunkee asks nicely only to be traditionally "trickled on" in respect, are doing something that has nothing to do with tradition or the spirit of Songkran. And it's NOT just farangs, although, yes, in places like Bangkok and--god forbid--Pattaya, they are some of the most visiblly obnoxious offenders. But there are plenty of young Thais who have "lost the meaning" doing it as well.

I did experience two full-on Songkrans when I first moved to Thailand: one was in a village, and very much carried on in the tradition, and it was TONS of fun, and yes, everyone got very drunk, too. The second was in Bangkok, and when I was with friends and acquaintances, it was also a ton of fun, and very much done in the spirit of the holiday as it was intended...it was very warm and touching to me. Experienced the aggressive dousing from random strangers, however, most of the time was NOT fun, and I retired myself from Songkran after that, only venturing out at night in Bangkok during those three days after that (when it does become relatively dry).

• Like 1

Time is a coming to stock up the larder in readiness with a good supply of food and tidbits.

Time soon to wrap up the wallet, the phone and other essential items in plastic bags to stop them getting soaked.

Why?

The idiots will soon be roaming the streets of Pattaya. The idiots who do not realise when to stop. The idiots who soak people on their way to work, so these people need to carry a spare set of dry clothes or store some spare clothes at work. Those who throw ice at motorbikes.

Give me the more civilised areas where they at least have some courtesy with regards to whom the people soak. Or like those places that have designated areas where you can go and have fun and be soaked because many of us like to join in for a bit of fun but not to be soaked time and time again, day after day.

Have fun and enjoy - if you can.

The Idiots being mostly foreigners.

The worst idiots are mostly foreigners, but Thais learn fast

I'm up in Isaan this year for songkran. Pattaya, where I live, was fun for the first couple of years but it's gone way overboard since then and for the last years I've escaped the upyournose-watercannons somewhere else. Been there, done that, got bored of it. Here in the sticks kids will throw a bowl or a couple on your car when you're passing or gladly engage in a fight 'till death by drowning, but the difference is that it's your choice. The way it should be everywhere.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

You bunch of old farts! Lighten up and live a little! tongue.png

You are going to Pattaya I take it? Tell us your plans.

No, I'm not going to Pattaya. I have been there twice in my life and I hate it. Way too seedy for my liking. I am staying in Bangkok with my boyfriend and friends. We're going to the Temple in the morning and then have a nice meal planned for tomorrow and then afterwards the party commences! I'm actually going to head round the Khao San Road and Soi Rambuttri area for partying.

Majority of my friends in Thailand are actually Thai or decent farangs, so I won't be one of those crazy drunken farangs getting up to no good and causing trouble. Neither will any of my friends. smile.png

I can understand why a person would not enjoy Songkran as it might not be there thing but I think its all just a good bit of fun and I always sense a real feel of community where ever I am. I am aware of the dangers and stupidity of some people and whatnot but how many grumpy posts need to be made on TV moaning about it? tongue.png

"Bah! Humbug! I'm staying indoors!" bah.gif *chuckles*

Edited by phuturatica

You bunch of old farts! Lighten up and live a little! tongue.png

You are going to Pattaya I take it? Tell us your plans.

No, I'm not going to Pattaya. I have been there twice in my life and I hate it. Way too seedy for my liking. I am staying in Bangkok with my boyfriend and friends. We're going to the Temple in the morning and then have a nice meal planned for tomorrow and then afterwards the party commences! I'm actually going to head round the Khao San Road and Soi Rambuttri area for partying.

Majority of my friends in Thailand are actually Thai or decent farangs, so I won't be one of those crazy drunken farangs getting up to no good and causing trouble. Neither will any of my friends. smile.png

I can understand why a person would not enjoy Songkran as it might not be there thing but I think its all just a good bit of fun and I always sense a real feel of community where ever I am. I am aware of the dangers and stupidity of some people and whatnot but how many grumpy posts need to be made on TV moaning about it? tongue.png

"Bah! Humbug! I'm staying indoors!" bah.gif *chuckles*

Spent three Songkran's in Chiang Mai and liked it. Moved to Pattaya for business and got pink eye from first Songkran. Second one watched two people get killed. The closest one was only a few feet away from me. It was in front of Foodland and she was Thai on a motorbike. Have not gone since.

Farang seem to really love Songkran. I can see why Thai teenagers enjoy the holiday. It is an excuse to get playful with eachother. There is plenty of petting and girls figures are more clearly visible with wet clothing. It is a nice little tradition and with so many Thais working away from home it is a nice little week long holiday and trek home. That said, it has always been curious to me how seriously farang take Songkran. I don't quite get the fascination of spending the entire day with a water pistol. The farang I saw today were in full guerilla mode, going to Tesco for garbage bins and a cart full of water guns. Why not just take a shower? Despite claims otherwise, in 8 years I have never been wet when I wasn't looking to be. The best part of Songkran is Bangkok is quiet imho.

• Like 1

At this special time of year....I would like to wish all the prudes that stay indoors or do their utmost to whine non stop.....best wishes and hope you are enjoying the repeats on telly.

What are you doing inside posting? Get out there and spray some infected moat water in your eyes and take a header off your bike. What is a holiday without pink eye and a couple of broken bones!

At this special time of year....I would like to wish all the prudes that stay indoors or do their utmost to whine non stop.....best wishes and hope you are enjoying the repeats on telly.

What are you doing inside posting? Get out there and spray some infected moat water in your eyes and take a header off your bike. What is a holiday without pink eye and a couple of broken bones!

It's 8:56am, look at the time of his post.

I am determined to join again today, but that's too early even for me. (And just about all, really.). 1pm is a good time to start.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Been there (Patong, Bangkok) done that more than once, in times the sprayers used colored water and iced water. Brrrr!

No,no,no, thank you!

In Isaan village now, much more quiet and that is how its ok for me. But I stay indoors, mostly! coffee1.gif

Why would I spray infected moat water in my own eyes...that'd be like silly.

I don't have a motorbike either.

I am guessing next you might want to insult my aboriginal great grandmother.

• Like 1