Gunman Robs KBank In Bangkok Lat Krabang Of Bt732,000

webfact

Man robs KBank in Lat Krabang of Bt732,000

Supachai Phetthawee

The Nation

30179744-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A lone gunman yesterday walked into a branch of Kasikornbank in Bangkok and walked out 20 seconds later with Bt732,000 in stolen cash.

The robbery took place in front of many witnesses, including bank customers.

Shortly after entering, the robber fired a shot into the ceiling, leaving everyone in shock, witnesses said.

"There were many customers at the bank when the man wearing a crash helmet walked in. He wore a black jacket and white gloves, too," said Thanakrit Jampalee, a 32yearold teller.

According to Thanakrit, the robber then walked straight to his counter, No 2, and brandished the gun in front of him while stuffing banknotes he had demanded into his own bag.

"He got away with Bt732,000 in cash," Thanakrit said.

The robber was about 170 centimetres tall, he said.

The bank, which is inside the Lat Krabang Industrial Estate Office building, has been in operation for two years now without its own security guard.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner LtGeneral Winai Thongsong said the robber appeared to be familiar with the bank because he knew exactly where most of the cash was kept.

"We will nail the robber. His picture was captured on a security camera," Winai said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-11

This guy looks to be very casually zipping the bag with the cash. He turns his back on all those customers. The girl under the counter must be getting him more cash? Hiding? Someone in his network who didn't get the proper silence money will rat him out and he'll surrender.

The Kbank branch I use here in CM keeps boxes of money behind the counter in plane view. I have often thought so easy to become a millionaire. But I am already a millionaire I brought 2 million to Thailand now I have 1 left.

Why the fuss? The Phu Yais have been robbing the banks for ages hence the huge difference in deposit and borrowing interest rates. No guns, no problems. Just borrow a few billion and forget to pay it back. Easy really.

• Like 2

"We will nail the robber. His picture was captured on a security camera," Winai said.

Indeed, Winai, it should be a piece of cake to identify the culprit through his unique physical appearance.

21652.jpg

Well there are not many Thais who wear a helmet!

The Kbank branch I use here in CM keeps boxes of money behind the counter in plane view. I have often thought so easy to become a millionaire. But I am already a millionaire I brought 2 million to Thailand now I have 1 left.

He plainly used a plane as his escape vehicle.

A bank with no guard... only in Thailand?

banks in belgium don't have guards cause they are properly secured.

Agreed. I was thinking about this also. Banks in UK don't have guards. The counters are emergency shuttered, doors also shuttered. If an assailant tries, he's highly unlikely to shoot customers. It just isn't a gun toting environment. I am sure there are hidden security guys available, but not visible.

Any UK ex-bank workers who know the ins and outs of these environments?

Thailand may well need guards in private gold shops, but banks? Is Thailand so far behind that we can have Bon-nee and Klai-dee situ? ;)

-mel.....