I Want To Move To Chiang Mai

driedmango

So ya, I have visited Chiang Mai 4 times in 5 years and loved everything but the smoke and sometimes the traffic.

So I am from western Canada, a beautyful place, but boring...

I am trying to figure out how people feel once the novilty wears off a bit of thailand.

I can live cheap in Canada, there is lots of space, the people are pretty nice but some uptight people around...

Just hoping I don' t get there with all my stuff and notice I would rather be back in Canada...

What do you guys think, I am 33... same age as Jesus. LOL

I am mostly worried about being all alone and getting sick and dying alone, after that comes how would I find a community I belong in rather than just hanging with tourists that leave every day... stuff like that....

how do you guys feel about living there, did you make solid friends, do you ever wonder if you get real sick who the hell will take care of you ? Stuff like that ?

Been here over 20 years. Life's great especially the quality of life. I would advise not to sit around though. Do something ANYTHING that makes you happy and keeps you busy and off the streets out of the bars. It's a sliding slope if you have nothing to do. Think of a small kind of business that you could do with friends back in Canada or whatever. It's not so much the money but a reason to get up in the morning and have something to work on. Then there's all sorts of other projects from HIV to orphans and poor hill tribes. Make your life worthwhile and add something to the community. As in every country in the world there are nice people and back stabbers. If you buy property or invest get proper legal advice. There are many more ways to do it than to put everything in a GF/BF s name. The much asked question in this matter is: "But don't you trust me?". Turn it around and say "But don't you trust ME"?

• Like 2

If you are only 33 then I would not be worrying about the possible circumstances surrounding your death. Chances are you won't be here when you are older - what in 60 years time? You will have done like most people your age (well I guess with the exception of Americans who don't get away too often, or too far), and have traveled the world and lived in many different countries. Chiang Mai will have been nothing more than a paving stone in the path of your life. Enjoy the present.

Edit: Oh and ignore anyone who tells you that there is a way for a foreigner to buy property in Thailand. It can't be done.

Edited by elektrified

I am faced with a bit of the same dilemma, but double the age + of 'dried mango'.

I knew I could not continue as an English Teacher here, as I don't have a work permit, but was happily teaching elsewhere (yes I did do the training).

So having settled in, now looking for some social activities and wanting to get out, and that does not means pubs. (well, a bit!).

I understand that even volunteer work is considered 'work; and a permit needed.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Is there an 'Old Farts' Club', or expats club or anything!! Are there any Brits, Kiwis, Aussies out there. cowboy.gif

thank you very much for your thoughful replies.

Rebelplatoon - exactly, I need to stay busy and feel like a make a difference, so I guess a small biz and helping out some cause would be great.

elektrified - I guess one of my questions I struggle with, for Thailand in General is, I have been there now 4 times, I love it, love thai food and culture, but part of me wonders if its just the 1st really exotic (for me) place I have been and I should try a new country... when I look around at the options nothing seems to beat mountains, cheap living, thais and thai culture.. if Chiang mai is a stepping stone should I now move past it, it seems like I have never felt like I had my own space there or got into a relaxing every day routine...

Why not visit for a 'long holiday' leaving intact your ties to Canada - see how much you really like the place.

If you have property in Canada I would hold on to it for a while. Your property values in Canada will continue to rise the same cannot be said for Thailand which screws you if you decide to return home.

hmasuk, umm.. I am not expert on chiang mai as I am asking the questions like you, But i did find out there is a nice little archery club in chiang mai that meets at the golf course once a week, and the "couch surfers" meet every week at "kafe" (couch surfers are all ages that hook people up when new to town or whatnot, and one other thing that is new in chiang mai is the documentary-arts-asia (dot) org/ they show films by donation and some other stuff, all ages also just some ideas... just thought that you don't need an old farts club only it seems kind of limiting, just be an old fart in some clubs..

Geris73 - well I don't have property in Canada, although there is some deals where I live now, but I am pretty free in that regard. Not really intersted in owning anything in Thailand either, just want to rent a nice place. The thing is I have been on 4 extended trips and I get bored of being a tourist and just want to get a place and get some work done.

My only advice is: don't ever feel like you're tied to one place. As electrified says, don't plan to 'move to Chiang Mai forever, and worry about what might happen when you're old'. When I moved to Samui seven months ago, my plan was to 'move to Samui until I no longer enjoyed it', well that time has passed and I was supposed to move to Chiang Mai last week, but circumstances have forced me to postpone for six weeks or so, when I plan to move to Chiang Mai until I no longer enjoy it. When that will be, and where my next destination is is anyone's guess, but it sure feels fantastic to be this free!

• Like 1

It seems "you only regret what you don't do in life" NOT "what you do

That Phrase was my inspiration to call it a day in the UK

One year on; I wake up to sun every day; I have beautiful lady, i am fit and healthy, my appearance defies my age, i have a stress free business, and a motorbike to breath that "cough cough" edit that....I am living my dream and no regrets. (except not doing it sooner)

• Like 2

thank you very much for your thoughful replies.

Rebelplatoon - exactly, I need to stay busy and feel like a make a difference, so I guess a small biz and helping out some cause would be great.

elektrified - I guess one of my questions I struggle with, for Thailand in General is, I have been there now 4 times, I love it, love thai food and culture, but part of me wonders if its just the 1st really exotic (for me) place I have been and I should try a new country... when I look around at the options nothing seems to beat mountains, cheap living, thais and thai culture.. if Chiang mai is a stepping stone should I now move past it, it seems like I have never felt like I had my own space there or got into a relaxing every day routine...

By all means come, I have been here for 6 years and consider it home before here I was 20 years in Kelowna and never considered it home. But I am twice your age +.

I agree with elektrified.

There is a good chance Chiang Mai will have been a paving stone on your journey, But it will be a very enjoyable one. It will give you a chance to actually live in a different culture to a extent become a part of it. Might turn out that you really just like visiting other cultures, not living in them. Give your self a break and come on over and find out.

• Like 1

hmasuk, umm.. I am not expert on chiang mai as I am asking the questions like you, But i did find out there is a nice little archery club in chiang mai that meets at the golf course once a week, and the "couch surfers" meet every week at "kafe" (couch surfers are all ages that hook people up when new to town or whatnot, and one other thing that is new in chiang mai is the documentary-arts-asia (dot) org/ they show films by donation and some other stuff, all ages also just some ideas... just thought that you don't need an old farts club only it seems kind of limiting, just be an old fart in some clubs..

It does have a expat club that meets once a month a lot of old farts that go to hear different speakers some really good some not

But they do have about 15 different clubs that specialize in every thing from gardening to chess along with hiking ,computers, photography, and many others things.

I turned 30 a few days before I moved back. However, I am working in the city. I am putting a set amount a side each month for retirement and will continue to increase that amount each time I jump up in position. I will evaluate the situation in 2-3 years time to see if I can truly support myself in old age here off my earnings, if not. I will simply return to the US or another country and work and live there and visit when I can.

It's fine to move here while you are young, you should just have a plan. Hell, you should have a plan no matter where you are.

• Like 2

After traveling here for 10 years every few months I moved here at 50

I keep very busy, found many nice friends both Thai and a few expats

When I got deathly sick a while back my wife, friends, and neighbors all helped. more so than ever in the states

I suggest come try it for 6 months to see where you like and find things you like to do.

I ride and explore Thailand, do some writting, and some side jobs.

• Like 1

Don't bring a lot of stuff. Get settled in a furnished apartment and chill for a while.

Do you plan on working?

Do you have a degree?

If so, I would *highly* recommend getting your Canadian teachers certification before you leave Canada so that you would have your pick of schools to work at if that is what you are planning on doing

• Like 1

Hi Everyone thanks for writting me ! I guess if I get sick and am all alone I can just post on here and bunch of farang can bring me a chang in the hospital ? :P

So ya, here I am in Canada, and is safe and all that, but I get bored I guess. I really can't get anything to eat after dark where I live but fast food, I can't afford hotels or taxi....

I think I could do alright in Thailand, I have a little online retail biz that generates about roughly $500 a month on average, although I might be

able to increase that if I really needed to. But that could wash up one day too, who knows.

I can also build websites and make graphics.. not sure how that might fly in Thailand.

I know the whole visa thing is going to be a pain, I have been to Thailand 4 times for about 3 months each time, so its not like i don't have a good idea about what people go threw to stick around there, but you know, it would be worth it.

PlanetX - no I don't have a degree (don't know why this bold type is stuck on) I have community college certificates in new media and some other things, but I don't think those would fly. I would however consider a ESL course here if I thought it might get me in somewhere part time, as I said I have a small income already.

One other thing I wonder is, as I have a large extended family here, is what happens when they get ill, as my mother already is, or when cousins get married, i wont be able to fly back and forth on my budget, its on thing I wonder.

But yes... Breathing.. I assume the air is acceptable most days outside of burning season.

Its nice to hear about some fellow Canadians who have left, I know alot go to the USA to get rich, but for some reason when I am in SE Asia I always wonder what my life would be like if I just stayed there, I think it would improve.

Thanks for your thoughts they are very welcome.

Hi Everyone thanks for writting me ! I guess if I get sick and am all alone I can just post on here and bunch of farang can bring me a chang in the hospital ? tongue.png

So ya, here I am in Canada, and is safe and all that, but I get bored I guess. I really can't get anything to eat after dark where I live but fast food, I can't afford hotels or taxi....

I think I could do alright in Thailand, I have a little online retail biz that generates about roughly $500 a month on average, although I might be

able to increase that if I really needed to. But that could wash up one day too, who knows.

I can also build websites and make graphics.. not sure how that might fly in Thailand.

I know the whole visa thing is going to be a pain, I have been to Thailand 4 times for about 3 months each time, so its not like i don't have a good idea about what people go threw to stick around there, but you know, it would be worth it.

PlanetX - no I don't have a degree (don't know why this bold type is stuck on) I have community college certificates in new media and some other things, but I don't think those would fly. I would however consider a ESL course here if I thought it might get me in somewhere part time, as I said I have a small income already.

One other thing I wonder is, as I have a large extended family here, is what happens when they get ill, as my mother already is, or when cousins get married, i wont be able to fly back and forth on my budget, its on thing I wonder.

But yes... Breathing.. I assume the air is acceptable most days outside of burning season.

Its nice to hear about some fellow Canadians who have left, I know alot go to the USA to get rich, but for some reason when I am in SE Asia I always wonder what my life would be like if I just stayed there, I think it would improve.

You don't need a degree to teach English, most places don't know the difference between a good English teacher and a bad one......hence, the reason we have so many English teachers who have simply taken a short course here. However, because of the infamous Thai hierarchial ladder, someone with a degree will be viewed as 'more intelligent', which we all know is a load of BS. Therefore, the opportunity of a higher paying job will probably be available.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone thanks for writting me ! I guess if I get sick and am all alone I can just post on here and bunch of farang can bring me a chang in the hospital ? tongue.png

You don't need a degree to teach English, most places don't know the difference between a good English teacher and a bad one......hence, the reason we have so many English teachers who have simply taken a short course here. However, because of the infamous Thai hierarchial ladder, someone with a degree will be viewed as 'more intelligent', which we all know is a load of BS. Therefore, the opportunity of a higher paying job will probably be available.

That is dangerous advice. You technically do need a degree to teach LEGALLY.

The kid is already setting himself up to be a resident on a tourist visa so what is the harm of suggesting he work ILLEGALLY on a tourist visa as well...

get real

Edited by PlanetX

$500 (assuming Canadian Dollars) or about 15,344 Baht is really not a whole lot to live on now. It's certainly doable, but only if you want to really live a Thai lifestyle and forgo a lot of stuff you are probably used to back home. To live more comfortably, I would think you would need about double that. You mentioned your need for friends, but when you go out with friends, it's usually to restaurants (eating & drinking), movies, fitness centers, etc. Girlfriend? A lot more;-) Visa Runs on a tourist visa (Chiang Mai to Mae Sae Bus?). So that will eat into your budget. Transportation Motorbike/Car will probably be needed and can be a big expense.

When I first came here, I was able to make about $1,200-$1,500 (US Dollars) per month. I was very comforatably, but at the time I was getting 41-42 Baht per Dollar and inflation hadn't really hit Chiang Mai. I've been back from a 2-1/2 stay in the US and I'm amazed at the rise in cost of Food, Gas, Lodging, etc.. In just that time, it seems everything went up 20-30%. Doesn't help when you're only getting 30 Baht to the dollar. Anyway, when I first came to live in Chiang Mai, while I had the monthly income to live on, I also had about $8,000 as an emergency back up. Like you mentioned, you may want to fly home, and that can't be done quickly on only $500 a month income. To fly to San Francisco, it costs about $1,000, so I'm assuming Canada is similar. You also seem worried about your health (good thing), so it's always nice to have some savings or means to pay (Credit Card) for any medical problems you may encounter. While medical care is cheaper here, it's certainly won't seem cheap on a $500 a month budget or someone from a country that has universal health coverage (I believe you have that in Canada).

Here's the positive: Moving here was one of the best decisions I ever made. I met my beautiful wife while she was attending Rajapat University in Chiang Mai and we have a wonderful 3 year old son now. Thailand (Chiang Mai in Particular) will always be like a 2nd home for us (Berkeley being our primary because of the schools for our son). I don't want to disuade you from coming here, but I think it would be safe to have some sort of savings before you come... Even if it's just enough for a Plane Ticket home.

I think another poster mentioned you should rent a furnished apartment until you are settled in, which is a great idea. That will save you from having to buy stuff like TV's, Refridgerators, Bedding, etc. We are back for only 3 months, and are staying in a furnished apartment for only 5,000 Baht a month and they have a TV (don't watch it though) and internet, next to a famous market, and close to most things in Chiang Mai.

http://www.wipananmansion.com/

Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live and I'm sure you will find a way to meet friends and get by on your budget. As was mentioned before, just do things you enjoy doing and be social. You will be bound to meet people who enjoy what you enjoy. At nights, I used to play Basketball at Chiang Mai University and met a lot of people there (expats & Thais). Another thing, I would suggest making a concerted effort in learning the language (most farangs don't). You'll find you will get better prices when shopping and also meet some wonderful Thai friends.

+1. A great consolidation of all the advice given thus far.

As long as your biz is fully automated and you don't need to 'work' on it while here. You'll find there are a lot of entrepreneurs in Chiang Mai doing quite alright for themselves with online businesses, and who knows, you could even grow your income (without 'working' of course).

Technically, working on your own online business is defined as 'work' and, as such, you can not do it legally in Thailand without a work permit, which you can not get (without jumping through a million hoops, and signing more than half of it away to a Thai national). If you work on it while overseas, and it generates income while you are here, that's fine.

• Like 1

If you are a young guy and think Canada’s boring, just wait until you’ve had a taste of Chiang Mai, then you’re know what the word boring really means.

Chiang Mai is all right, there is a lot to be said for it, but it seems to be prefered by the elderly, who prefer quite and isolation. It is full of grumpy old farangs that may give you an acknowledging grunt if passing in the street and as for the social scene, well, the less said about that the better. There are a few young dudes here, but most of them are working and don`t socialise much or pre-occupied with themselves.

For someone of your age who has no family or close friends already here, I don’t recommend Chiang Mai as the place to take your hat off and settle down, otherwise you could find yourself alone and friendless because many of the ex-pats here are knocking on in years, not very socialable and prefer to stay in their own little clique.

Please don`t take my word for it, I suggest that you do some online research on the Chiang Mai scene and then decide for yourself. But I seriously advise that you think carefully before making the big move here. Being on holiday is one thing, but actually living here is another matter.

One big advantage in your favour is that you are a young man and should have no problems finding a girl or a guy if you’re gay as a companion, providing of course that you have a steady income and able to support a Thai wife or girlfriend, but taking into consideration there are many just out for your money, so play with caution.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Bettlejuice.. I have to stick up for Chiang Mai as someone who has been there for many months of a few years... it's full of excitment for any age I would say. The older crowd is much more friendly and happy then the older crowd where I live, they huddle in their little houses with their woodstoves have the year... I would say there is many fun places in Canada, Montreal, Nelson BC..

I don't find Chiang Mai quiet by any means ! Its noisy and busy, not to mention getting out of town, there is music everywhere...

But I see what your saying, it can wear off ? Its can become routine ?

The most boring parts of my life was when I tried to move to New York and found out that you need way more money then I could ever make just to go out fora few drinks once a week..

From my research, if you have an online biz, and you are working with customers out of country and just carrying on you do not need to have a work permit, at all as you aren't working with a Thai company or anything like that.

But I might be wrong, thus why I am asking.. but boring to me is say Vancouver where there is nothing to do in the whole city most of the time it feels like and nobody ever smiles to a stranger on the street.. they just banned bongos in the city of vancouver for christ sake !

Edited by driedmango