Tsunami warning lifted - no significant tsunami threat to Thailand

News_Editor

Tsunami warning lifted - No significant tsunami threat to Thailand

Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis

2012-04-11 20:14:18 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) -- Two major earthquakes struck off the west coast of northern Sumatra in Indonesia on Wednesday afternoon, generating small tsunamis and shaking buildings as far away as Singapore, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Bangladesh and India.

The first earthquake at 2:38 p.m. local time (0838 GMT) had a preliminary magnitude of 8.6 and was centered about 434 kilometers (269 miles) southwest of Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province on the northern tip of Sumatra. It struck about 22.9 kilometers (14.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

Several hours later, at 4.43 p.m. local time (1047 GMT), a large aftershock with a preliminary magnitude of 8.2 struck about 618 kilometers (384 miles) south-southwest of Banda Aceh at a depth of approximately 16.4 kilometers (10.2 miles), according to the USGS. Seismologists also reported a series of aftershocks in the 6-range.

Indonesia's seismological agency immediately issued a tsunami warning for local coastlines for both coastlines, but there were no immediate reports of major tsunamis. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not issue a warning, but initially issued an Indian Ocean-wide tsunami watch. The tsunami watch was later canceled for all countries, although several countries have continued their national alerts.

"Sea level readings now indicate that the threat has diminished or is over for most areas. Therefore the tsunami watch issued by this center is now canceled," the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said in a bulletin. It said monitoring gauges mounted on buoys recorded a tsunami of 1.06 meter (3.5 feet) relative to normal sea levels near the Indonesian city of Meulaboh in Aceh. Smaller tsunamis were recorded at Australia's Cocos Island, the Sri Lankan port city of Trincomalee, and in Thailand.

INDONESIA

At a joint press conference with British Prime Minister David Cameron following the first earthquake, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said he ordered a disaster relief team to fly to Aceh, where there were reports of some panic but no immediate reports of significant damage or casualties. He said there was no risk of a major tsunami following the first quake and said the situation is 'under control'.

MALAYSIA

Officials at the Malaysian Meteorological Department said they had no immediate reports of tsunami waves but a tsunami warning has been issued as a precaution for several states on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia, where tremors during the first earthquake lasted for about 5 minutes. "We decided to order an evacuation along the coastal states of Penang, Perlis, Perak, Kedah and Langkawi," an official said.

SRI LANKA

The National Tsunami Early Warning Center at Sri Lanka's Department of Meteorology issued a tsunami warning for the island following the first earthquake. "As the earthquake near Sumatra island at 02:08 pm today has generated tsunami that will affect Sri Lanka, those living near and along the Eastern and Southern coastal regions are advised to evacuate to safe places immediately," the center said in a bulletin.

THAILAND

In the Thai capital of Bangkok, some people reported feeling light shaking as a result of the first earthquake. "I was sitting at my desk on the top floor of an 11-story building in Bangkok and suddenly felt my head slightly swaying left to right," said Mike Amy. "I had felt the previous earthquake in Myanmar (Burma) in a similar way."

The Thai National Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation issued a tsunami warning for six provinces along the country's western coast, including the popular tourist destinations of Phuket, Krabi and Phang-Nga. The warning was later downgraded to monitoring status only, indicating there is no significant tsunami threat to Thailand.

INDIA

The Indian government immediately issued a tsunami warning for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the coastal areas of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. But the warnings were later canceled after Indian experts determined the earthquakes are unlikely to generate a major tsunami because there was no vertical displacement of water.

Indonesia is on the so-called 'Pacific Ring of Fire', an arc of fault lines circling the Pacific Basin that is prone to frequent and large earthquakes. On December 26, 2004, one of the most powerful earthquakes ever recorded struck off the west coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. The 9.1-magnitude earthquake unleashed a deadly tsunami, striking scores of countries in the region, killing at least 227,898 people.

Most recently, on January 11, a powerful 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck about 423 kilometers (262 miles) southwest of Banda Aceh at a depth of about 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). Tremors could be felt in Banda Aceh where residents fled from buildings and rushed to higher ground, but no tsunami was generated.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-11

THAILAND

In the Thai capital of Bangkok, some people reported feeling light shaking as a result of the first earthquake. "I was sitting at my desk on the top floor of an 11-story building in Bangkok and suddenly felt my head slightly swaying left to right," said Mike Amy. "I had felt the previous earthquake in Myanmar (Burma) in a similar way

clap2.gifclap2.gif

You should have asked some TV members in Phuket as for them it was more than the head swaying!

In Kamala Phuket at 8:55 PM this english announcement just came over the village loudspeakers "Attention please, attention please, the situation is back to normal. Please continue to rescue the victims".

I guess the situation is back to normal.

Good news obviously that there was no significant sunami but hell, the threat or possibility of another that could strike at short notice anytime must be a worry for those living in exposed areas irrespective of all these warning systems in place

In Kamala Phuket at 8:55 PM this english announcement just came over the village loudspeakers "Attention please, attention please, the situation is back to normal. Please continue to rescue the victims".

Is that what was really announced? Please continue to rescue the victims? Who were the victims?

I put important items high up in the house. Took the important papers in dry bag and left to higher ground. Lots of Thais running and racing around in total panic. Every one left the beaches and lower area in case of. Hotels, bars, restaurants and shops all closed and every one running to high area. The police checkpoint made for Songkran was empty, even they run to higher places without informing or controlling the traffic. Nicely said it was a shit our whit lots of panic. But lucky nothing happened and YES better safe than sorry. I hope that the next time the warnings still go on. Please DO NOT WAIT TILL A WAVE HIT SOMEWHERE TO WARN. I rather work to take care and run for nothing than the other way around. Big hand to Thai government to make this call. By the way, I lived in Baan Ban Niang (Khoa Lak) during the Tsunami of 2004.

good to hear that most coastall tsunami towers are informative an helpfull,in aonang you cant not hear them half a km from the beach not even when they have the tsunami drills,im far from old or hard of hearing they are just not loud enough an not enought of them for us to hear here ,from the beach to my house its all flat land so its worry ,if i cant hear the warning when im awake hot the hell is it supposed to wake me up when im asleep,,,,

good to hear that most coastall tsunami towers are informative an helpfull,in aonang you cant not hear them half a km from the beach not even when they have the tsunami drills,im far from old or hard of hearing they are just not loud enough an not enought of them for us to hear here ,from the beach to my house its all flat land so its worry ,if i cant hear the warning when im awake hot the hell is it supposed to wake me up when im asleep,,,,

I dont know if you live in Ao Nang, but from the beach the land scape goes straigt up. The Tsunami warning towers are not used, the government only asked to prepare just in case. So don't complain about you can not hear what was not there and don't tell stories about the land scape. In 2004 the Tsunami reached only 20 meters land inwards Ao Nang. Just a small fact, Don't believe the stories of long stayed expats and don't tell this hear abouts. Stay to the facts.

I dont know if you live in Ao Nang, but from the beach the land scape goes straigt up. The Tsunami warning towers are not used, the government only asked to prepare just in case. So don't complain about you can not hear what was not there and don't tell stories about the land scape. In 2004 the Tsunami reached only 20 meters land inwards Ao Nang. Just a small fact, Don't believe the stories of long stayed expats and don't tell this hear abouts. Stay to the facts.

That's a bit unfair Robert isn't it. I know Ao Nang well and a large wave would wipe out a lot of people if it came unannounced. It is a bit more than 20M from the beach to the hill isn't it! and a lot of property/shops/bars/resorts and B+B's in between. If the towers are there they should be fully functioning, there is absolutely no excuse for them not to be. As coconutter rightly highlights, a Tsunami at 3am could really ruin your day if you are on one of the beach resorts. It would all be a bit silly after many die to admit there are towers there but we never plugged them in. What exactly is preparing them just in case? Wasn't this a 'just in case' today?

Many thanks to Thai Visa and the mods for getting the news out-great job. Unlike 2004 we can really use social media and the internet to stay well informed these days.

Having said that so many posts were pure non-sense, folks trying to bring humour into a very serious situation were not appropriate, imagine Thai Visa is the only point of information for many and their battery is running low and they are subjected to silly posts, they not only made me anxious but angry and made the mods work double time.

I apologize if I sound grumpy I didn't sleep well and am normally a really happy person-just got a little stressed last night.

Is that what was really announced? Please continue to rescue the victims? Who were the victims?

Jetski customers?

• Like 1

Jetski customers?

Victims in Phuket? That could be a long list, such as taxi customers, honeymooning Aussies whose safe was cleaned out by hotel staff (unreinmbursed by hotel), elderly farang and Thai wife beaten to death with furniture by hotel security guard and chef for B200 and a cheap cell phone, more taxi customers, and of course, the often victimized jetski customers.

Edited by thaimat
  • Like 1

snapback.pngsmotherb, on Yesterday, 22:36 , said:

Dude, bro . . . . it's straight up soggy out there. I was about to wax up my beater . . .and its down

Come again?

Surfing terms concerning the water and the surf board .^ wai.gif

It is indeed good to see that lessons have been learned from the previous disaster and both the authorities and the public in the main responded well to the perceived threat.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

It's great news that no major tsunami occurred. But this should also act as a warning for everyone to recheck their escape strategy, and for the authorities to recheck their evacuation plans.

As I posted in the heat of the moment, I have a major gripe with the local radio stations. Whilst ThaiVisa was doing a great job of keeping us informed about events, it's unlikely that evacuees atop hills would have internet access. They need to rely on local radio stations to provide correct and up-to-date news reports.

Bluewave on 90.5 MHz was playing some nice Buddhist chants at time of this potential disaster.

Phuket Island Radio played pop music and announced that 'they were waiting for the BBC news to tell them what was going on'

That, my friends, is utterly pathetic for a source of information which many people tuned to their car radios would look to for advice and information.

In my case, I had a shortwave radio in my car, and was able to receive timely reports about the events, albeit broadcast from thousands of km away.

So let's here it from the owners/reporters of these 2 radio stations. What were you actually doing to inform Phuket residents during this crisis?

Simon

As far as I could observe the news broke on Thaivisa about an hour before the Thai media became aware, the media's initial response was a streaming text banner underneath a broadcast of the Royal funeral. The BBC and CNN beat them to it.

For those who are hard of hearing this anecdote might be helpful. My grandmother was profoundly deaf, which meant that during WW2 she could not hear the air raid sirens, however her dog could, as soon as they sounded he would grab her skirt and pull her towards the air raid shelter. He had not been trained to do this, he just seemed to know what to do.

Old instincts die hard, during the Cold War I was working at the top of a ladder when the local District decided to test their warning sirens. A few brief seconds later I was down the ladder and under the kitchen table, with no real awareness of how I got there. My wife, a post wartime child, watched in amazement.

• Like 2

snapback.pngsmotherb, on Yesterday, 22:36 , said:

Dude, bro . . . . it's straight up soggy out there. I was about to wax up my beater . . .and its down

Come again?

Surfing terms concerning the water and the surf board .^wai.gif

It is indeed good to see that lessons have been learned from the previous disaster and both the authorities and the public in the main responded well to the perceived threat.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Glad that's cleared up. I was having some dashing peculiar thoughts about you too! Now I know a few new 'surfing' terms. giggle.gif

-mel. ;)

Not all of the alarm towers on Phuket's beaches worked as intended yesterday....

The one 200 m away from me did not make any sound....

Shouldn't they check those every month as any proper business is supposed to do with their fire system????? annoyed.gif