Thaksin ‘trying To ‘find Time’ For South

cdnvic

Thaksin ‘trying to ‘find time’ for South

Published on December 22, 2005

The government is trying to downplay criticism of its hands-off approach to tackling the floods in eight southern provinces, considered strongholds of the opposition Democrat Party.

“I am trying to find time to visit the South,” Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said yesterday.

Thaksin said he was monitoring hourly reports on the southern floods, even though he could not be present in the area to take a hands-on approach.

“I find it adequate to relay my instructions via telephone calls,” he said.

In defending his boss, Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana said the prime minister’s presence was not required to solve the problems of the flood.

“Heavy rains caused the floods. This is not as serious a situation as the tsunami last year,” he said.

Kongsak dismissed allegations of political bias on Thaksin’s behalf, saying it wasn’t justified to fault the PM for rushing to solve problems associated with flooding in the North, but not the South.

He said the government had already mobilised resources and relief supplies to help victims.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Thaksin had to decide for himself whether to extend a gesture of compassion to flood victims.

“No one can force the prime minister to visit the South. It is a matter for his own judgement,” he said.

Abhisit said his party had dispatched seven teams to coordinate distribution of relief supplies.

“I will visit Yala and Pattani, where drainage has been slower than expected,” he said.

Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa said he had instructed his deputy, Nikorn Chamnong, to assess flooding damage in order to map out the most appropriate relief measures.

“My party will commence its relief operation after the New Year, when drainage is completed,” he said.

The Nation

Kongsak dismissed allegations of political bias on Thaksin’s behalf, saying it wasn’t justified to fault the PM for rushing to solve problems associated with flooding in the North, but not the South.

WHY isn't it justified??? It seems very fair to compare the two. Particularly in light of the severity of the flooding in the South with loss of life and the human suffering, not to mention the economic costs to the area and the nation as a whole.

ahhh ok, now I remember the why...

ever since TRT was shut out of the elections in the last election and the PM uttered the below words... :o

The South still not worth a visit

Published on December 22, 2005

Far from the flooded South, PM abides by his vow to favour TRT strongholds

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is now putting the sentiments that slipped from his mouth in anger after his Thai Rak Thai Party lost the by-elections in October into practice.

“As prime minister, I have to take care of people throughout the country. But I have limited time. I’ll pay attention to provinces that give their maximum trust to me first,” said Thaksin.

Having witnessed a week of devastating flooding in the South of Thailand, with more than 700,000 people affected by the floods and landslides in eight southern provinces, Thaksin has still managed to find more important work elsewhere.

Although BBC World saw fit to broadcast the news of the flooding to the world, Thaksin prioritised visiting tourist spots during the mobile Cabinet meeting in Sukhothai.

As of yesterday, Thaksin had still not visited any of the affected areas. The premier has offered a number of excuses, from not wanting to distract government officers from their flood-relief efforts to simply being too busy. He has also said that having just returned from a trip, he would prefer to monitor the situation by phone or teleconference.

While local officials and non-governmental organisations around the country collect funds and send food and provisions to help the people in the South, Thaksin has objected to a government plan to host a charity TV programme to solicit public donations for flood relief, saying the government has enough money to help the people.

Coming from the mouth of the country’s chief political figure, these excuses sound worryingly irresponsible. Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana has made excuses for Thaksin’s absence, saying the disaster was not as devastating as last year’s tsunami. Such comparisons suggest that the 35 lives lost, many other missing people and tens of thousands of people suffering the effects of the floods are insignificant. Does Thaksin really have to wait until the death toll reaches more than 5,000 before he reacts appropriately?

It seems clear the real reason behind the prime minister’s lack of reaction to the floods is that the TRT has only one MP in the South – in Phang Nga province – with the rest of the region being a Democrat Party stronghold.

In contrast, Thaksin’s reaction to the flooding in the North in August was immediate. On August 14, the same day as Thaksin visited Narathiwat, he took an urgent evening flight to Chiang Mai, his hometown, and stayed there overnight. He left early to survey the afflicted areas the following day.

No one can blame the prime minister and the government for the natural disaster. However, it is the government’s duty to take care of the country’s people without discrimination. The prime minister should have been the first on the scene to show his commitment to helping the people.

While more than half a million southerners suffering from some of the worst flooding of the decade, the PM’s priority is the mobile Cabinet meeting in Sukhothai, where Thaksin and his Cabinet are promoting themselves in the hope of winning more votes.

Is this simply because the people in the South don’t hold Thai Rak Thai membership cards?

“As prime minister, I have to take care of people throughout the country. But I have limited time. I’ll pay attention to provinces that give their maximum trust to me first,” said Thaksin.

Having witnessed a week of devastating flooding in the South of Thailand, with more than 700,000 people affected by the floods and landslides in eight southern provinces, Thaksin has still managed to find more important work elsewhere.

Coming from the mouth of the country’s chief political figure, these excuses sound worryingly irresponsible. Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana has made excuses for Thaksin’s absence, saying the disaster was not as devastating as last year’s tsunami. Such comparisons suggest that the 35 lives lost, many other missing people and tens of thousands of people suffering the effects of the floods are insignificant. Does Thaksin really have to wait until the death toll reaches more than 5,000 before he reacts appropriately?

It seems clear the real reason behind the prime minister’s lack of reaction to the floods is that the TRT has only one MP in the South – in Phang Nga province – with the rest of the region being a Democrat Party stronghold.

No one can blame the prime minister and the government for the natural disaster. However, it is the government’s duty to take care of the country’s people without discrimination. The prime minister should have been the first on the scene to show his commitment to helping the people.

While more than half a million southerners suffering from some of the worst flooding of the decade, the PM’s priority is the mobile Cabinet meeting in Sukhothai, where Thaksin and his Cabinet are promoting themselves in the hope of winning more votes.

Is this simply because the people in the South don’t hold Thai Rak Thai membership cards?

Get a rope! :o

So what if he doesn't visit.

What's he going to do, take a bucket and start baling?

Why do Prime Ministers, Presidents have to go and see the devastation, shake hands, do a photo op and look concerned.

Its just spin. All disaster appearances are spindoctoring. More important is what he does to alleviate the problems. He doesn't have to go and stand there and look at it.

"D'oh, water!"

Why do Prime Ministers, Presidents have to go and see the devastation, shake hands, do a photo op and look concerned.

Its just spin. All disaster appearances are spindoctoring. More important is what he does to alleviate the problems. He doesn't have to go and stand there and look at it.

"D'oh, water!"

Guess you live in a TRT party controlled area. :o

Edited by ilyushin

a qiuck flight down there in air farce one ... trot out and original soundbite along the line s of solving flooding in 30 days and then maybe pop back to bangkok to be fawned over by fauxwits .... all in a days w4nk for mr 't'

Thats ok, I think the Southerners have already figured that one out. :o

a qiuck flight down there in air farce one ... trot out and original soundbite along the line s of solving flooding in 30 days and then maybe pop back to bangkok to be fawned over by fauxwits .... all in a days w4nk for mr 't'

Do you think they got a new door for that aircraft :o

"D'oh, water!"

Couldn't agree more.Every time I see a Pres or PM touring a disaster area, all I think of is <deleted>..what a crock.He would be better off to send some top engineers and a cook to report back. :o

Hold your d@mn horses...I'm coming already... Just hang on... for criminy sake, just because a few dozen people die and a hundred thousand suffer, you want me to stop having business meetings to discuss Shin stock?? You ungrateful lot...

Headline by Bangkok Herald-Examiner, Story by Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

23 December 2005

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will visit the flood-stricken South on Sunday amid complaints by locals that the government is neglecting their grievances. Mr Thaksin said he would stay overnight in the South on Sunday before leaving for Phangnga province to attend the Dec 26 tsunami commemorative event.

He dismissed heavy criticism that the government had ignored the plight of flood victims in the South because it was a political stronghold of the opposition Democrat party.

``Those who criticised me may not know what issues they should use to attack me. They accuse me of applying a double standard [when dealing with flood problems in the South]. When I went to the South the last time, where were they [his critics]? During the first round of the flooding, I boarded a helicopter to inspect water drainage canals and issued orders. After that, I gave my orders by telephone,'' he said.

Hold your d@mn horses...I'm coming already... Just hang on... for criminy sake, just because a few dozen people die and a hundred thousand suffer, you want me to stop having business meetings to discuss Shin stock?? You ungrateful lot...

Headline by Bangkok Herald-Examiner, Story by Bangkok Post

Bangkok Post

I've been away for a while but it's reassuring to know that throughout my absence, the ever-vigilant Bangkok Herald-Examiner remained on the beat. :o