European Surnames In Thailand

MediumPaceBowler

In fact,it is known that Thais seem to like nobody but themselves,but they especially they have a disdain of the Chinese since they were initially hired as the cheap workforce but walked over the Thais and made them their workforce.

Their is a word for it in Thai : Som nam naa.

Thaksin got 19 million votes.

Is he Thai, or is he Thai-Chinese?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact,it is known that Thais seem to like nobody but themselves,but they especially they have a disdain of the Chinese since they were initially hired as the cheap workforce but walked over the Thais and made them their workforce.

That is a fascinating point. Can he speak two Chinese dialects? 60 years ago there were anti Chinese laws in Thailand and now they are perceived as being better businessmen and husbands and the bedrock of Thai commerce. Thai Chinese women only rarely marry Farang. Thai women do it all the time.

That is a fascinating point. Can he speak two Chinese dialects? 60 years ago there were anti Chinese laws in Thailand and now they are perceived as being better businessmen and husbands and the bedrock of Thai commerce. Thai Chinese women only rarely marry Farang. Thai women do it all the time.

You must be joking,half of the TV board is married with a Thai-Chinese.

You must be joking,half of the TV board is married with a Thai-Chinese.

I'm just telling you what Thai Chinese women tell me. Although I do believe that 3/4ths of TV is living in a fantasy world so it would not really surprise me.

I'm just telling you what Thai Chinese women tell me. Although I do believe that 3/4ths of TV is living in a fantasy world so it would not really surprise me.

Good point. If it's of any interest, my exotic Thai-Chinese-Arabic-Indian girlfriend is real. The father (now deceased) was a Bank Manager. And the mother is a retired Government Official.

But what does that actually mean? Here are some questions:

1. Does my g/f's brother work, or is he a lazy phuck-ass who lays in bed all day? You know the answer.

2. Is the garden area outside the brother's bedroom clean, or is it strewn with empty beer bottles? You know the answer.

I could go on, but it's just too easy, isn't it?

I've been here for years. It's always the same shit. Nothing changes.

Oh -- by the way -- my ATM card has stopped working. Can you lend me 2000 Baht?

Surnames didn't become a legal requirement in Thailand until 1913. Before that the vast majority of Thais only had one name.

Another factor might be the requirement that every name (combination of given name and surname) must be unique. So there can only be one John Smith, for example. (Not sure whether this is still the case, but it used to be).

• Like 1

Your girlfriend seems to get more exotic (and more mixed-blood) every time you post coffee1.gif

I have a photo here on my computer that you wouldn't believe.

No, I probably wouldn't.

Shame. I was gonna offer to send it to you privately.

I suspect that any photo that you sent me would be as genuine as your description of your impossibly exotic multi-racial imaginary girlfriend.

• Like 2

Good point. If it's of any interest, my exotic Thai-Chinese-Arabic-Indian girlfriend is real. The father (now deceased) was a Bank Manager. And the mother is a retired Government Official.

Why you bother with your rubbish I dont know!

• Like 1

I have seen a few Thai Birth Certificates and they are of course in the Thai language and phonetic translation of western names. My oldest son who is now 29 is about to take up his right to Thai citizenship from his Thai mother and has been told he should use her last name. If you want to be a member of Thai society you must do it their way.

Good thread this and very interesting. This is something I have always wanted to know, but been afraid to ask.

I have no official facts to give you, but here is my educated guess:

Throughout history Thailand was never colonised by any Western nations, neither did Westerners visit or settle in Thailand in large numbers. In fact Thailand has never been a true multi racial society in the sense compared to many European countries.

But I believe this is going to change within the next 20 years or so, now that there is an abundance of farangs settling in Thailand. There are my three kids who are all registered in my surname and have English Christian names and I know of many more.

One of my neighbors who he and is his wife are 100% Thai and don`t speak a word of farang, have named their two children, James and Ann, so these types of names are now becoming fashionable in Thailand.

BTW, did someone mention that there is an erotic exotic photo going around of a poster`s girlfriend?

I would call 100,000 Japanese a lot of people and they stayed or passed through for 4 years. 50,000 Americans for 10 years lived in Thailand and hundreds of thousands more came for a week at a time to increase the gene pool for 10 years.

Don't sweat it. It was only Beetlejuices 'educated' guess anyway.

Good thread this and very interesting. This is something I have always wanted to know, but been afraid to ask.

I have no official facts to give you, but here is my educated guess:

Throughout history Thailand was never colonised by any Western nations, neither did Westerners visit or settle in Thailand in large numbers. In fact Thailand has never been a true multi racial society in the sense compared to many European countries.

But I believe this is going to change within the next 20 years or so, now that there is an abundance of farangs settling in Thailand. There are my three kids who are all registered in my surname and have English Christian names and I know of many more.

One of my neighbors who he and is his wife are 100% Thai and don`t speak a word of farang, have named their two children, James and Ann, so these types of names are now becoming fashionable in Thailand.

BTW, did someone mention that there is an erotic exotic photo going around of a poster`s girlfriend?

I would call 100,000 Japanese a lot of people and they stayed or passed through for 4 years. 50,000 Americans for 10 years lived in Thailand and hundreds of thousands more came for a week at a time to increase the gene pool for 10 years.

You make a good point that I did not think of.

As I said, mine is just a guess.

Is there an historian in the house?

Americans occupied Japan in large numbers for many years and also Thailand for 10 years. Both populations are getting taller.

Americans McDonalds occupied Japan and Thailand in large numbers for many years and also Thailand Burger King for 10 years. Both populations are getting taller fatter.

Your girlfriend seems to get more exotic (and more mixed-blood) every time you post coffee1.gif

I suspect that any photo that you sent me would be as genuine as your description of your impossibly exotic multi-racial imaginary girlfriend.

Oh Mr Nocturn! Really!!! You cynic!!!! You doubter!!!!!!!

Give me some time and I'll PM you a couple of photos.

You'll see immediately that my exotic girlfriend is Thai. You'll see too that she looks Indian / Arabic. The Chinese part (25%) won't be apparent in the photo/s.

You'll probably notice her perfect nose. And when you see her hair, I doubt you'll be surprised to learn that she used to be a model for Schwarzkopf Hair Products.

You'll see immediately that my exotic girlfriend is Thai. You'll see too that she looks Indian / Arabic. The Chinese part (25%) won't be apparent in the photo/s.

You'll probably notice her perfect nose. And when you see her hair, I doubt you'll be surprised to learn that she used to be a model for Schwarzkopf Hair Products.

If the Chinese part was 37% would it be apparent?

That's actually a good question.

Have you ever noticed that some Thais have a sort of extra tooth? The extra tooth (sometimes, extra TEETH) is located in the upper jaw, to the left or right of the front teeth.

I spoke to a dentist about this. She worked at Kasetsart University and was kind enough to fix my teeth gratis.

She explained that this extra tooth (or extra teeth) is a Mongolian trait. Her opinion was that this extra tooth WHEN SEEN IN THAILAND is an indication of Chinese ancestry. I guess she felt that Mongolians must have passed on this "tooth gene" to the Chinese, and the Chinese must have brought it with them to Thailand.

This is (of course) not to say that all Thais with Chinese ancestry have that strange extra tooth, but it does suggest that those who do have it are of Chinese descent.

You may wish to Google this. I personally don't have time right now as I'm off to join the water fights.

]POSTING GUIDELINES[/b]

PLEASE ..... don't waste your time replying if you don't know what you're talking about.

Bloody hell mate if that was introduced all over TVF the forum would cease to exist within about 20 minutes.biggrin.png

He's special huh.png , his bird is part every Asian country you can think of, in fact l feel so honoured to read his post l am standing to attention.cowboy.gif

You are right! His fantasies get larger by the minute, a total time wasterhit-the-fan.gif

So you don't believe that my g/f is Thai-Chinese-Arabic-Indian. And you don't believe she has a Portuguese surname.

Fine! That's great. It's really great!

It's cool. It really is!!!

And you know what ...................... I couldn't give a shit. I really couldn't.

I spoke to a dentist about this.he explained that this extra tooth (or extra teeth) is a Mongolian trait. Her opinion was that this extra tooth WHEN SEEN IN THAILAND is an indication of Chinese ancestry. I guess she felt that Mongolians must have passed on this "tooth gene" to the Chinese, and the Chinese must have brought it with them to Thailand.

I remember reading this in one of the Dr.Siri novels too. Finnish were also mentioned as having the same trait, which makes me so Hi-So I'm off to checking my K9's and prancing with the pinky pointed to the heavens for the rest of the year.

I spoke to a dentist about this.he explained that this extra tooth (or extra teeth) is a Mongolian trait. Her opinion was that this extra tooth WHEN SEEN IN THAILAND is an indication of Chinese ancestry. I guess she felt that Mongolians must have passed on this "tooth gene" to the Chinese, and the Chinese must have brought it with them to Thailand.

I remember reading this in one of the Dr.Siri novels too. Finnish were also mentioned as having the same trait, which makes me so Hi-So I'm off to checking my K9's and prancing with the pinky pointed to the heavens for the rest of the year.

1 in 200 men direct descendants of Genghis Khan.

Of course this is why Thai men like funny looking hats.

Quite interesting, the article on Genghis. Yes, of course I own a fur hat.

I guess I'll contribute to his legacy and to the European surname pool in Thailand in about 5 months, after the bun has been baked ready. I know quite a few lukkruengs between 0-6 years old, all have 100% non-thai names. Seems to be some sort of fashion these days, my sister-in-law even changed her first name to a farang one. And of course my wife now carries my surname. +2, then.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Yes but contributing to the gene pool is not the same as legitimizing an heir.

Plus having a farang surname is rarely a positive thing culturally, and causes endless complications with local bureaucrats.

There isn't any tradition here, hence little cultural accommodation for "Thai nationals" that are actually foreign.

Thus the reason the recent-immigrant Chinese who dominate Thailand's economy have fully acculturated and self-identify primarily as Thai, only maintaining their Chinese aspects as secondary and relatively private.

That's actually a good question.

Have you ever noticed that some Thais have a sort of extra tooth? The extra tooth (sometimes, extra TEETH) is located in the upper jaw, to the left or right of the front teeth.

I spoke to a dentist about this. She worked at Kasetsart University and was kind enough to fix my teeth gratis.

She explained that this extra tooth (or extra teeth) is a Mongolian trait. Her opinion was that this extra tooth WHEN SEEN IN THAILAND is an indication of Chinese ancestry. I guess she felt that Mongolians must have passed on this "tooth gene" to the Chinese, and the Chinese must have brought it with them to Thailand.

This is (of course) not to say that all Thais with Chinese ancestry have that strange extra tooth, but it does suggest that those who do have it are of Chinese descent.

You may wish to Google this. I personally don't have time right now as I'm off to join the water fights.

Sounds more like "overcrowding" to me something readily dealt with in the UK by tugging it out, I had the same and had 2 teeth removed, no Mongols in my family.....................yet!

Plus having a farang surname is rarely a positive thing culturally, and causes endless complications with local bureaucrats.

There isn't any tradition here, hence little cultural accommodation for "Thai nationals" that are actually foreign.

Thus the reason the recent-immigrant Chinese who dominate Thailand's economy have fully acculturated and self-identify primarily as Thai, only maintaining their Chinese aspects as secondary and relatively private.

The Thai Chinese have to speak the Teochew dialect to conduct business and borrow money from private Chinese banks and other off the books Chinese money sources. Being ethnic Chinese guarantees repayment of the loans so the credit requirements are far less stringent than normal Thais face. And that is the big deal about Thai Chinese controlling Thailand. They borrow money cheaper. So they can do any deal or buy or build anything cheaper than a native Thai.

Having married a Thai last year who chose to keep her own surname, I wonder if it is a cultural thing?

No, it is not.

In fact l would worry if my wife didn't want my name. unsure.png

I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't unpack too much though.

• Like 2

The Thai Chinese have to speak the Teochew dialect to conduct business and borrow money from private Chinese banks and other off the books Chinese money sources. Being ethnic Chinese guarantees repayment of the loans so the credit requirements are far less stringent than normal Thais face. And that is the big deal about Thai Chinese controlling Thailand. They borrow money cheaper. So they can do any deal or buy or build anything cheaper than a native Thai.

Geez, maybe this was the case when you were a kid in the 1880's, but the fact is most descendants don't speak any apart from a few select words.

I have seen a few Thai Birth Certificates and they are of course in the Thai language and phonetic translation of western names. My oldest son who is now 29 is about to take up his right to Thai citizenship from his Thai mother and has been told he should use her last name. If you want to be a member of Thai society you must do it their way.

Rest assured that is not needed. I too have a Thai birth certificate and a very Irish surname.