Going Solo / Living Alone (Or Not) Poll

Jingthing

Going Solo (or not) Poll  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This poll inspired by a new book called GOING SOLO about the dramatic increase in people living alone and/or being unmarried in the U.S. and changing (improving) attitudes about what that means for quality of life.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/1594203229

In 1950, only 22 percent of American adults were single. Today, more than 50 percent of American adults are single, and 31 million—roughly one out of every seven adults—live alone. People who live alone make up 28 percent of all U.S. households, which makes them more common than any other domestic unit, including the nuclear family. In GOING SOLO, renowned sociologist and author Eric Klinenberg proves that these numbers are more than just a passing trend. They are, in fact, evidence of the biggest demographic shift since the Baby Boom: we are learning to go solo, and crafting new ways of living in the process.

It's not surprising there are more and more people choosing to live alone, the same applies to those that choose to live together without getting Married. Marriage has been in decline substantially since the sixties.

What does Governments and Society expect,getting married and living with your partner is a licence to get ripped off,if you make the wrong choice and need to split up. one partner invariably draws out more than they brought to the relationship,and many men in particular,have to live very austere lives so that they can pay most of their salary in maintenance for Exs and children (most do not have a problem paying for the childrens upbringing). It's a backlash that can only get stronger,as more and more people realise they don't need to get married anymore,and for those in a relationship,the only reason to stay together,is not financial,but based on Love,caring and affection,and either one can walk out at any time with a relatively modest financial loss.

If I was a young man again,I would most certainly choose to live alone,or have a part time relationship,i.e two nights at her place and two nights at mine,or less?

Many I know,live alone and favour the uncomplicated, one night stands only,on occasions,but basically living alone. The choices are many in these enlightened times.

Edited by MAJIC

It's not surprising there are more and more people choosing to live alone, the same applies to those that choose to live together without getting Married. Marriage has been in decline substantially since the sixties.

What does Governments and Society expect,getting married and living with your partner is a licence to get ripped off,if you make the wrong choice and need to split up. one partner invariably draws out more than they brought to the relationship,and many men in particular,have to live very austere lives so that they can pay most of their salary in maintenance for Exs and children (most do not have a problem paying for the childrens upbringing). It's a backlash that can only get stronger,as more and more people realise they don't need to get married anymore,and for those in a relationship,the only reason to stay together,is not financial,but based on Love,caring and affection,and either one can walk out at any time with a relatively modest financial loss.

If I was a young man again,I would most certainly choose to live alone,or have a part time relationship,i.e two nights at her place and two nights at mine,or less?

Many I know,live alone and favour the uncomplicated, one night stands only,on occasions,but basically living alone. The choices are many in these enlightened times.

Some of us consider the financial contribution to the relationship to be fairly low down the list.

SC

Some of us consider the financial contribution to the relationship to be fairly low down the list.

SC

Agreed up to a point,but very difficult to be philosophical,if you lost everything,as some have.

SC

Agreed up to a point,but very difficult to be philosophical,if you lost everything,as some have.

"... Worse things happen at sea,

Just be glad you don't have a bad back.

Start walking and smile

and in a while, you'll be back home..."

I suppose some things that people feel aggrieved about are in a magnitude beyond being stuck in the town with no bus fare, but I am sure that the principle holds true regardless.

And my point is that if losing your house is more important than losing your wife, then maybe you weren't ready for a lifelong commitment....

SC