Cod Liver Oil

easy_jim

Does anyone know where you can order cod liver oil by the bottle in Thailand?

I'm a great believer in the benefits of cod lover oil, both for myself and my kids. The trouble is the only way the kids will take it is is by adding a dash of it to a shot of fruit juice. So I want to buy cod liver oil by the bottle, not capsules. It is easy to find the capsules in Thailand but I can't find it in bottles anywhere, not in the shops or on any Thai online sites.

I did buy some online from the UK. The first time I ordered a couple of bottles and it arrived with no duty. The second time I ordered a couple of bottles and it arrived but I had to pay 500-baht duty. The last time I decided to order six bottles and customs turned it back - they said you can only import enough for one person to use within one month.

So constantly ordering it from abroad is going to get tedious and expensive and hence my question - surely there must be somewhere in Thailand that sells cod liver oil by the bottle?

Or you could just buy the capsules in Thailand and break them open and put them in a bottle ?.....or is this too simple ?

Yep, that is what I am now reduced to but taking it by capsule is actually a very inefficient way to get the required dose. You need about 4 capsules to get 1 teaspoon. A container of capsules costs about twice as much as a bottle of liquid and contains approx 1/10th the volume. The capsules only exist for people who can't stand the taste but really it is just not a sensible way to buy the stuff.

Or you could just buy the capsules in Thailand and break them open and put them in a bottle ?.....or is this too simple ?

Yep, that is what I am now reduced to but taking it by capsule is actually a very inefficient way to get the required dose. You need about 4 capsules to get 1 teaspoon. A container of capsules costs about twice as much as a bottle of liquid and contains approx 1/10th the volume. The capsules only exist for people who can't stand the taste but really it is just not a sensible way to buy the stuff.

If you are buying capsules made in Thailand, then the company concerned must be buying in bulk somewhere and bringing it in. If there are contacts details on the bottle of the Thai manufactured contact the company concerned

I used to import orange flavored fish oil but since switched to caps,

If your looking for liquid then (Carlson Labs Fish Oil - URL link removed) is a good deal and is flavored to help with the fishy taste. $13.41 shipped

If your looking for soft gels then (Twin Labs Norwegian Cod Liver Oil - url link removed)so no taste at all but alot of kids dont like swallowing pills. $12.10 shipped

They ship using standard international mail and will ship with this method up to 4lbs so you could order multiples of ether of these no problem. DHL or Fedex in my experience has a much much higher chance of hitting customs. So id recommend the regular shipping, takes 14 days normally when I order to my door and ive never had it hit customers/be taxed.

Coupon 6305684 will save you 5$ on your first order which would basically be a few $ off and free shipping smile.png.

Good luck

Edit: just for reference I used to order (Carlson Labs Fish Oil - URL link removed) and would order once a month. This was enough for me to take x2 servings and one for my girlfriend. Had a very pleasant orange flavor.

Edited by Sheryl
commercial url links to company called healthdesigns removed per forum policy. Please PM poster if you want the link.

In total over the course of me ordering them, probly 24-30 I ordered that particular bottle 1once a month for years. I import many food items and that i fill up to the 4lb mark and ive never had an issue, mainly due to it not hitting customs I would assume.

If your weary about it just do multiple shipments, if you do 1 from that site it is like 2$ shipping so if you did 5 bottles all separate orders would take maybe 5 extra minutes to do it but would be fine.

I regularly receive jerky, protein bars, tea, and powdered peanut butter almost always coming close to the 4lb mark. Never an issue.

Yes, the problem I specifically had with my last package was that it was 6 bottles and the FDA said that is too much. They were very specific that you cannot order more than 1 person can consume in 1 month using the dosage recommendations for the product. So one solution would be to just order 1 botttle at a time.

I have just been asking a company called 'Vitamins in Thailand' about this. As far as they know, nobody in Thaiiland has FDA approval to import fish oil in liquid form (non capsule). They said they are currently in the process of applying for FDA approval for a bottled concentrated fish oil product from the US but they reckon it could take up to a year to complete the process.

So at the moment it looks like the only way to get liquid fish oil is to order 1 or 2 bottles at a time from abroad.

I used to import orange flavored fish oil but since switched to caps,

If your looking for liquid then http://www.healthdes...il-cherry-12-oz is a good deal and is flavored to help with the fishy taste. $13.41 shipped

If your looking for soft gels then http://www.healthdes...il-250-softgels so no taste at all but alot of kids dont like swallowing pills. $12.10 shipped

They ship using standard international mail and will ship with this method up to 4lbs so you could order multiples of ether of these no problem. DHL or Fedex in my experience has a much much higher chance of hitting customs. So id recommend the regular shipping, takes 14 days normally when I order to my door and ive never had it hit customers/be taxed.

Coupon 6305684 will save you 5$ on your first order which would basically be a few $ off and free shipping smile.png.

Good luck

Edit: just for reference I used to order http://www.healthdes...ange-16-8-fl-oz and would order once a month. This was enough for me to take x2 servings and one for my girlfriend. Had a very pleasant orange flavor.

Thanks for that, I'll give them a go.

If your that worried about it just spend the extra 3 seconds and order 4 or 6 or whatever in multiple orders. If i order protein even if it can fit in a 4lb box with other stuff i do individual orders. This is Thailand and packages get lost, get stolen or hit customs. The more packages the less chance that everything gets messed up only 1 or 2

There are a few other brands of Cod oil that are flavored I just pulled those 2 out quickly.

Is there a difference between cod and regular fish oil? Because just looking at the various cod oils the fatty omega3/6s were of a lower value for the same amount of fish oil pretty much across all brands.