Too Soon To Come Back, But It's A Good Year, Thaksin Says

webfact

Too soon to come back, but it's a good year, Thaksin says

The Nation

30180003-01_big.jpg

SIEM REAP: -- Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday reiterated his wish to end his life in exile and make a longed-for comeback to Thailand this year, which he said was marked by auspicious occasions for the Royal Family.

After leading red-shirt well-wishers in merit-making at Angkor Wat in Cambodia's Siem Reap, he told reporters his desire to return to his homeland was rekindled when thousands of red-shirt followers came to greet him over Songkran.

"I'm very happy to see that the people support me and are calling on me to return home," he said.

"I was moved to see men crying and telling me to go back home … the people love and have mercy for me a lot."

Even though he had been missing his country very much since Saturday when he met a lot of red-shirt devotees, the time was not yet ripe for a homecoming.

"I would like to wait until the situation has improved to the point that I can have noodles at a roadside shop," he said.

2012 was an auspicious year for the monarchy and Thais should stop quarrelling and the rifts should be patched, he said.

His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn would turn 60 and Her Majesty the Queen would turn 80 this year - so it was a great year for Thais, he said.

There would be no new coup, as the military had learnt it would be useless for the armed forces to seize power.

The people and all sides, except the opposition Democrat Party, would like to see reconciliation realised.

His return would not put pressure on the government of his sister Yingluck to try to bring about reconciliation, as that was a matter for Parliament.

The Democrats would eventually find themselves isolated if they did not heed the people's wish for the nation to see unity and harmony restored.

Legal cases had been initiated against him and processed through an "unfair system" so he would not return to the country to serve a jail sentence. But he would not mind facing new investigations and trials if the cases were restarted under a fair judicial system.

If he returned to Thailand, it would not be to politics because his sister had been performing well as prime minister and she would be capably assisted by former Thai Rak Thai Party executives when they emerge from their five-year political ban next month, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-16

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, he sure has Thailand's future planned out with uncanny certainty! It's amazing that he knows so much about soapy facets of everything Thai - military, parliament, who loves him and who doesn't. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the ability to take advantage of the short sighted!

"I'm very happy to see that the people support me and are calling on me to return home," he said.

"I was moved to see men crying and telling me to go back home … the people love and have mercy for me a lot."

--------

He doesn't see much farther than past his left elbow, does he?

"the people"??? What, the trivial ones who were set up by your cronies to make up numbers that pretend a lot? giggle.gif

And here was me thinking that by now you were highly experienced, Mr T. passifier.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

"I was moved to see men crying and telling me to go back home

At his advancing age both his hearing and his control over anal emissions of intestinal gas is probably starting to fail him ......hence, the men whose eyes were watering and telling him to get back, get back.....bai gai-gai

Love the V.I.P. badges.

Well it keeps the pawns in their place doesn't it. We can't have the masses mixing with the ( Demonic Gods) Demi Gods can we.

Note the onlookers observing the antics of the clowns in this three ring circus.

P.T.P. Democracy.

Edited by siampolee

Please return so we can finally end this bitterness, feud between the elite and Thaksin. It is time to get over it and move ahead, as there are far more important things for Thailand to worry about, the asean, china slow growth this year, the strong baht, high speed rail links, potential flooding again, tourism, etc...

Please return so we can finally end this bitterness, feud between the elite and Thaksin. It is time to get over it and move ahead, as there are far more important things for Thailand to worry about, the asean, china slow growth this year, the strong baht, high speed rail links, potential flooding again, tourism, etc...

Thaksin can end the feud today by simply stepping onto his private plane, returning and follow the rule of law. Someone needs to convince the PTP there are far more important things for Thailand to worry about, the asean, china slow growth this year, the strong baht, high speed rail links, potential flooding again, tourism, etc...

their number one priority is bring Thaksin back as a free man. Thaksin thinks PTP does.

• Like 1

He is to much of a coward to come back to Thailand and face the music.

• Like 1

Then why not grant a re-trial so he can return. I don't blame him not wanting to spend 2 years in a Thai jail and what about thos in the democrat party who were involved in the ordering of troops to fire live rounds at red shirt protesters 2 years ago. Will they be brought to justice? Wipe the slate clean, let Thaksin come back and move on, that's what the majority want not just Thaksin.

• Like 1

Then why not grant a re-trial so he can return. I don't blame him not wanting to spend 2 years in a Thai jail and what about thos in the democrat party who were involved in the ordering of troops to fire live rounds at red shirt protesters 2 years ago. Will they be brought to justice? Wipe the slate clean, let Thaksin come back and move on, that's what the majority want not just Thaksin.

Evidently you've been watching the red shirt DNN Democracy Dictator News Network.
  • Like 1

He had the right to appeal the verdict, but he chose to run away.

• Like 1

He is to much of a coward to come back to Thailand and face the music.

TiT. Money buys you out of trouble. Why shouldn't he feel the way he does?

whats the old line 'you can deceive some of the people sometimes but not all of them all of the time'

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." Franklin Roosvelt I think?

No its not what the majority want, just because PTP won doesn't mean all the votes were also for Thaksin to be let off scot free. I agree we need to see a lot of the Dems prosecuted too, lets face reality here most Thai politicians, on either side, deserve to be in jail for one reason or another. Red, yellow or otherwise, they are all self serving with no genuine consideration for the people.