O-Net Set For Redesign As Row Rages Over Results: Thailand

webfact

O-net set for redesign as row rages over results

The Nation

30179991-01_big.jpg

Database to be set up to help teachers draw up new test

BANGKOK: -- The poor results of primary and secondary school students in the Ordinary National Education Test (O-Net) over the past eight years have prompted a debate over whether the exams are too difficult or whether Thai students are ill prepared. Educationists are adopting new test features and readjusting existing test designs as a result.

In the coming school semester, a communal database will be set up to store, evaluate and design new sets of exams, with the aim of making 50 per cent of the O-Net test moderately difficult, 25 per cent easy and 25 per cent very difficult, National Institute of Educational Testing Service (NIETS) director Samphan Phanphruek said.

Teachers with experience designing the tests will attend a seminar to discuss the framework with new teachers from primary and secondary schools. They will rely mainly on O-Net tests conducted in February - which is when sixth graders, ninth graders and twelfth graders sit the test nationwide - as guidelines on new O-Net designs, he said.

The O-Net is a basic exam evaluating students' ability in eight key subjects: Thai language; mathematics; science; social science, religions and culture; personal hygiene and physical education; arts; skills training; and foreign languages. It is mandatory for sixth grade students before they enter lower secondary level, ninth graders entering upper secondary, and twelfth graders set to enter undergraduate studies.

The O-Net was introduced in 2001 together with the now-defunct Advanced National Education Test. The O-Net criteria were changed in 2004, and scores have dropped since.

There has been criticism by the media, students and parents that the O-Net is too difficult, contains confusing and ambiguous questions and fails to evaluate Thai students properly. But Samphan said the tests were in accordance with the curriculum and follow test-design standards.

Teachers selected as test designers had no connection with private tutorial schools and were regarded as highly ethical in their work and having high professional standards, Samphan said.

Well-known educationist Saksith Rojsaranrom said the Education Ministry had set a goal of boosting O-Net scores by 3 per cent, but the poor grades suggested the goal was some way off. The drop, he said, was likely to be the result of varying academic standards and teacher performance at schools across the country.

Also, the outdated doctrine of students memorising textbooks rather than being armed with analytic or critical-thinking and decision-making skills was still widely practised. This was despite a ministry campaign calling for it to be scrapped many years ago.

Saksith echoed Samphan's statement that the O-Net is not too difficult for students accustomed to analytic thinking and decision-making. The O-Net is based on criteria mandated by a new ministry doctrine aimed at modernising Thai education by various methods including student-centred teaching, as well as abolishing the old-school rote learning.

An adviser to the Quality Learning Foundation, Amornwit Nakhonthab, said the low O-Net scores mainly reflected the persistence of the outdated doctrine, which should have been improved and corrected until all key criteria under the education reform were met. He said the NIETS-regulated new test designs should take another three to five years to accurately evaluate Thai students, from the next school semester.

"The poor O-Net scores reflect many things, whether it be teachers' poor performances, tests whose degree of difficulty exceeds what students have been taught, or both. But Thailand still needs the O-Net to develop the entire educational system, Amornwit said.

Making the O-Net test easier simply to help students pass would not improve education in Thailand or long-term development of human resources, he said.

"The Education Ministry must stand its ground against criticism. Making the O-Net easy just for students to pass will hurt the country and its education system.

"Since the [new] O-Net was introduced eight years ago, education budgets have increased along with teachers' salaries. What do the low O-Net scores tell us? That the government's efforts to improve education are not yet sufficient," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-16

So we don't expect to see O-net tests full of multiple choice (guess) questions from now on?

The issue is very simple - anyone having seen the curriculum for any subject is rather vague and brief. Perhaps trained Thai teachers are 'taught' what is in the curriculum, in detail in their university course. However this detail is not necessarily reflected in the curriculum handbook. This curriculum documents must be much more detailed, with examples presented.

Once these documents are produced, then matching textbooks are produced (we already have these, in Thai). So when I teach maths, I need to refer to both to work out what I'm mean't to be teaching. I think the main problem is that the textbooks don't present enough challenging material that reflects what is in the O-net exam. As mentioned in the article, there should be a range of questions that help separate the weak, medium and strong students. That's the whole point of the test, if the test is being used for university entrance. There should be absolutely NOT NEED for students to attend tutorial classes for the O-Net. Students seem to attend these classes for other kinds of university entrance exams though.

Then there's the "everyone must pass" policy that must be addressed. If your a below par student will have to fight hard just to pass, why would you bother putting any effort into your studies when you can get a 50 for doing nothing. Past O-net scores are showing the majority of the student population are basically guessing most of the answers (scores in the range of 25-35%). These are major issues that need to be addressed.

the tests are to difficult because students are lazy or poor quality teachers, so let's make every more easy and everybody can save face next time and congratulate each other and reward with the better scores

So, the o-net is designed by teachers? How many of these teachers are qualified in test construction, item analysis, statistics or population sampling. This national test should have reliability and validity coefficiants associated with it, but we only get statements that it is a good test. Perhaps these measures of the test exist, but the belief is held that no one would understand what they mean.

We are in Thailand; too difficult doesn't really hack it. That leaves education shortfalls. Time for the government to stop relying on gimmicks, such as tablets, and to put, in the ministerial hotseat, an individual who is at least marginally - preferably, considerably - more capable than the current incumbent.

Actually, many of the questions are poorly worded and have ambiguous choices of answers. While Thai students could be more motivated and teachers could improve their teaching methods, the main problem seems to be the test itself.

Another issue with the 'O' net test: multiple choice questions, which give a 25% or 33% chance of getting the correct answer, require little prior studying, and involve little thinking on the day . . . and still they struggle.

There is no pride in a good result as there are no questions about a bad result! It doesn't matter what the result is for P6 or M3, the students that are moving up still pass. The teachers aren't held to account, the Director doesn't have to explain why his school has done so badly, nobody really cares!

All the area office is interested in is how much money the school directors can put into the "promotion pot" for their next advance! bah.gifwai.gif

"The poor O-Net scores reflect many things, whether it be teachers' poor performances, tests whose degree of difficulty exceeds what students have been taught, or both. But Thailand still needs the O-Net to develop the entire educational system, Amornwit said"

"Teachers with experience designing the tests will attend a seminar to discuss the framework with new teachers from primary and secondary schools.

Even those people who grew up with English as their first language will struggle making the Thai O-Net tests.

Some questions would never be used the way they are written, some questions do have 1, 2, or even 3 possible answers.

Some of the- what they think- right answers would never be chosen by people who grew up using English as their first language.

Directors in LOS might think these tests would really show the kids' ability in English.

We had to sign a document in November that we'd "upgrade" all kids of at least 2 % in English. We taught extra lessons, but also the Thais did.

Thais showed them the right answers of various older O- Net tests, they basically had to learn the right answers! Not pointing out that they wasted so much time....

I've never seen them going through the questions and answers, telling them why the other answers were wrong.

Guess the biggest problem to make written tests is for those who can't read. How can you teach kids how to read in only 3 weeks?

Most educators here wouldn't even see if there's no, or three possible answers, because of their command in English.

Teachers at our school taught English using a not suitable English book with completely wrong English, wrong sentence structures etc for many years.

Here's one example:

12. What will happen when you go under the sun?

a) You'll have stomachache B) You'll have toothache c) You'll have backache.d) You'll have fever.

The book will "teach" you that it's answer d!!!!

Okay, not a problem would many people say. But if the "educators" don't know it better, is scary.

Just one example of an English book used for 5 graders in this country. The O- Net tests are not much better, would love to meet those who created them.

I never saw tests similar to O-Net in other countries, why can't Thais use tests that are already improved?

Not so many schools do have an EP, so how can you teach English that they pass O- Net tests AND are good in conversational English, in one or two hours/week?

Is it more important that kids are good at making tests, or that they're actually able to communicate in English?

Why can't they use tests made by people who're familiar with English?

And people in this country are still looking for tests that are suitable for Thais?

I'd send all Thai English teachers abroad to an English speaking country, the problems would be solved.

But those who have some say obviously always make different decisions.... biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Redesigning this test does not help when the level of corruption among teachers is rampant. My school had the tests 8 days prior, in the teacher´s lounge, for copying purposes and pre tests teaching. I took some lovely pics of the pre test events.

Redesigning this test does not help when the level of corruption among teachers is rampant. My school had the tests 8 days prior, in the teacher´s lounge, for copying purposes and pre tests teaching. I took some lovely pics of the pre test events.

You mean the 'pre-tests' or the actually o-net tests? I don't see how schools can get the actual o-net exams prior to the o-net day. There's nothing wrong with schools doing their own pre-tests. My school also did these, but they were tests written by the teachers. Not sure where your assertion of corruption fits in. Can you clarify?

Cannot be clearer than what I was. The O-Net tests were sitting on the table, for 1 week before it was vigilated by teachers from the school up the street. All friends with each other.

The I suggest you report your school to the MoE for those exams to be allowed to float around the staffroom a week before the exam. I'm finding this very hard to believe....

I have completed a few of the English O Net tests and they are indeed ambiguous, and confusing. In my previous school where my class of P5 had already had 5 years in an EP programme, the results were OK for the kids who wanted an education. The rest had no clue. In my current school which has a relatively new Bilingual Programme 80% would fail; without doubt. The reason is that the quality of teaching matches the expectation of the heads of department, witch is pretty much a head in the sand outlook. i obviously only relate my experience in subjects I teach. In my maths classes I am teaching kids who have very little English understanding; I am teaching topics totally new to them in a language they cannot grasp, and am teaching it before the Thai teachers. I have tried to explain that it would be better for me to reinforce the topic after they understand the concept, but to no avail. Some topics Iam teaching with no further teaching by the Thai teachers. I could not understand how my M4 class were so limited in Algebra, after asking them I found out that they had never been taught it before. That was 1 week before their final exam, they simply had not been taught it.

I have tried to teach my English conversation in the general student population in the same way. I have talked to the Thai teachers about what they will teach over the term so I can try to follow them. Unfortunately they will tell me what they want to teach but it does not follow the books and is never approached in a thought out manner.

Basically these kids will never pass the tests until they are taught correctly and understand it is not a joke to learn. I hate the fact that I have to give a pass mark to kids I have not seen in one lesson all year, as long as they do something when they ask for something to do. It is no wonder that English is the most hated lesson. They are in general taught it by teachers who cannot speak the language and conduct all their lessons in Thai, unless the kids are repeating a sentence form over and over again parrot fashion. Things will not change until students are given the zeros they deserve instead of the 1s the school needs them to have. They also need to sack at least 70 % of the teachers, but how can they do that when the teachers are buying their jobs?

I'm sorry for the very long rant, and any mistakes, this is too long to check through though

At my school, the minimum grade I could give was 60%. Even to no shows, one autistic (or something to that effect), 2 tomboys having sex in the toilet, and 2 kids who were expelled, but still show up at school, so they let them study.

I hope I am not called a liar again, Culosine.

I can speak and understand some Thai, but I'm lost when people go into details and do not slow down.

Could I go to Europe and become a Thai teacher? I pretty much doubt it.

For my opinion the same problem with local teachers here.

I find it necessary to use Thai when teaching Thai kids in an ordinary English program with just one or two hours a week.

How else could you explain one sentence if kids don't get it. If so, you might need 30 out of 50 minutes to use other words with the same meaning. But would your lesson be successful?

But Thai English teachers are mostly using Thai to explain words/sentences/ , Grammar ( how can you use Grammar if not knowing enough vocabulary), meaning etc,not considering that a translation of English words/sentences into Thai, or Thai words/sentences into English will mostly change the meaning and therefor hindering the process of learning.

Electronic dictionaries could help a lot for educators in this country how to pronounce words properly. In the end it all comes back to their education.

I personally think that also Non Native English speakers can do a very good job teaching the English language, no matter where they come from, but they have to have a very good command in the language they teach.

Not so many Thai English teachers do have a good command in English.

Germany as an example. My uncle taught English at a high school almost all his life, with best results, before he became the principal.His colleagues, students and parents liked him a lot. But he never lost face, never hit kids.

He never studied abroad in an English speaking country, but his English skills are really good.

You won't find too many "Native English Speaking" teachers in Germany, as it's just a matter how teachers are being educated. That said pointing to the Thai educational system.

I speak two languages fluently, because I grew up in a bilingual environment. That makes it a little bit easier for me to teach a language, as I had to learn more than one.

Some "educated teachers" holding a Masters or a PhD in English are not able to teach kids successful in an South East Asian country, so in the end a language teacher has to have more than just a good command in the language they teach.

Thai students would be much better in English and other subjects, if their Thai educators would be better educated......

I've destroyed around 200 bamboo sticks in seven years and I'll continue doing so,,,,wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

• 4 weeks later...

"The quality of our graduates is between mediocre and nearly useless."

"Assuming they care, those who have the power to change in Thailand would have to ask themselves: What kind of human capital do we want for the next generation? Do we want high quality knowledge workers and members of society or old-fashioned drones in the mold of the early 20th century? If we want the former, then we have to change the Thai education system—drastically and immediately. If we want the latter, well, we are already doing very well for that."

http://asiancorrespondent.com/77060/thai-education-failures-part-3-pisa-scores-and-a-challenge-for-the-21st-century/

At my school, the minimum grade I could give was 60%. Even to no shows, one autistic (or something to that effect), 2 tomboys having sex in the toilet, and 2 kids who were expelled, but still show up at school, so they let them study.

I hope I am not called a liar again, Culosine.

I wasn't calling you a liar, but what I'm thinking is that the test you saw was not the genuine O-net test being handed around that staff room - before the students have sat the exam. How on earth would they be able to get this exam? It's dam_n hard enough getting old copies of the tests as it is. I think I've seen one in the past 12 years.

Anyway, I understand your grief - we also have disabled students, lazy students who do no work, but at least we can give them a 50%. One boy appears to have foetal alcohol syndrome - I think the mother (and certainly even the father) doesn't even realise this fact. He must be 5-6 years behind his grade level, but the parents still insists he ploughs through. It's disheartening, but I just try my best to help kids who want to learn and let the parents know what the other kids are like in class. This year we managed to stop weak kids moving to the math/sci stream, so that's some kind of a win.

Again, it depends on who knows who at these schools. If they are in the same system (City, county or state schools), then they help each other. An aoborjor school will test and help the other aorbojor school. And this is the case with my school. The city school helped the city school. City admins know and visit the schools often and stuff happens. Have I seen this happen? No.

But it happens and I am glad this term I left for a much better school. The straw that broke my back was seeing the teachers copying everything 2 weeks prior to the tests. Then the other school showed up (same school system), all in their Monday Marshal uniforms, giving these tests. They even wanted me to read the English tests to the students (of things I never taught them) and I refused.

Anyways, TIT.

Again, it depends on who knows who at these schools. If they are in the same system (City, county or state schools), then they help each other. An aoborjor school will test and help the other aorbojor school. And this is the case with my school. The city school helped the city school. City admins know and visit the schools often and stuff happens. Have I seen this happen? No.

But it happens and I am glad this term I left for a much better school. The straw that broke my back was seeing the teachers copying everything 2 weeks prior to the tests. Then the other school showed up (same school system), all in their Monday Marshal uniforms, giving these tests. They even wanted me to read the English tests to the students (of things I never taught them) and I refused.

Anyways, TIT.

This crap goes on at many schools. It comes back to bit them on the arse when most fail miserably in university entrance, or any 'real' entrance exam. Glad you got a better job anyway - there's plenty out there but often you don't know until you are teaching there.