Renewal Of Retirement Visa

Hi folks, need some advice from you....

I have a non-immigrant O-A retirement visa expiring on the 22 Feb 2004. I 'll be going back to Chiangmai on the 2nd Feb for an extension.

If I arrive on the 2nd Feb how long will I be allowed to stay in Thailand.

The 800,000 baht requirement...must the money be transferred from a foreign country to a Thai bank in Chiangmai...or could I just deposit the money in cash into the bank in Chiangmai.

Medical certificate requirement...what actually are the requriements and where can I get one.

I was told the immigration does not accept joint-account bankbook, so I have just open a personal account which I intend to put in the 800k, will this affect my visa extension when they see this new bankbook with just one or two transactions.

This is my first extension and I appreciate advice especially so from those who have had their extensions done in Chiangmai... :o

I've never gotten a renewal yet but I just got my retirement visa (in Bangkok) a few weeks ago and I can tell you about my experience.

Look at the retirment visa in your passport. The first line should read something like ... "extension of stay permitted until XXXXXXX. And then hopefully you have a re-entry permit in your passport which will also be valid up to your arrival in Thailand (2nd Feb?).

My 800,000 baht is in a joint account and it didn't matter. I got a letter from my bank which (in Thai) sated something like Mr. xxxx (my name) has a balance of 850,000 in Thai Baht account number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The letter didn't mention my wife's or child's name who are also joint signatures on the account.

A medical certificate was not required. From another post I thought it was and I had a medical certificate just in case, but they never asked for it.

Granted this experience was in Bangkok at Suan Plu ... not Chiangmai

Visa extension will be until the day before you entered Thailand, on year later. So if your last entry was on 2 Feb 2004 the extension will expire on 1 Feb 2005. You do not need to apply for this extension until you get down within the last 30 days of your 90 day permitted stay so you have plenty of time to set up bank account and transfer funds.

You should use a form of money transfer that proves it came from overseas and wire transfer is usually that best method. Have never heard of joint accounts not be acceptable but perhaps you are single and that is the reason? No transactions will not be a problem.

Most incountry visa extensions don't seem to require the medical certificate but you could get at any hospital

I recently apply for a retirement visa in Chiangmai and had to have a medical certifcate plus bank letter copy of bank book so in chiangmai you will need that

This is true for Phuket, too. I did it 1 week ago. Medical from any clinic will do here, as long it is the right form (same like for the driving license, by the way). Here it is a requirement to have the full amount of money on one bank account, either savings or fixed. The whole process took about 25 minutes, no "extra" :o payments needed. The medical was 130 Baht at Patong hospital, the letter of Bangkok Bank another 200 Baht (incl. copies of pass book), the fee for extension 1,900 Baht.

A type O visa is not a retirement visa. It only allows you to apply within 90 days without leaving the country. You must go into Thai immigration with the proper documents and you must have three pictures with you. The 90 days is from the day your got your visa so if you got it on the first day of the month and don't arrive until the 5th day the 90 days still would start on the first. I strongly suggest that if you are planning to stay here that you get in touch with someone who can help you do it the first time.If you need a name I can give you one. As to your money being deposited here, first you must open a non resident baht account and the best place to do it is at the main Bangkok Bank at Sala Dang. Also at that time you can open a savings account here which will allow you ATM and purchasing privelidges. You have to prove the money came from a foreign country so the best way to do that is once you open the account have your bank wire transfer the money into your new Thai non resident account because you will have to get a paper proving you have that money here. It is complicated in the fact that they are very particular and as I stated before the best way is to get the proper helpt at least the first time because it will save you a lot of time and running around and a lot less frustration. I dont' mean to make it sound more complicated than it really is but you must do it right. Also once you have the one year visa you will still have to check in every 90 days (this can be done by mail if your not in BKK)

That part is simple. If you need any help please let me know

Karen

The 90 days is from the day your got your visa so if you got it on the first day of the month and don't arrive until the 5th day the 90 days still would start on the first.

No! You normally get your visa at a Consulate and that date has nothing to do with the 90 days you can stay here on any entry. Stay starts on the day you enter Thailand and receive the "admitted" stamp (and that stamp will allow 90 days from that date - not visa date). This date will also be used for any extension. The issue date of a visa is just that - the issue date (manufacture date). Also listed on the visa will be a "valid until" date which is the use by date (you can enter Thailand at any time before that date).

If anyone has questions immigration has paperwork available to help. It is not that hard to do and immigration are much more receptive to people doing it on their own from my observations. The only tricky part is photo copies but those shops at immigration or in the area know what is required if you use them. Black/white one side copies that you sign of everything you present should cover it. If they don't need it they will give it back.

Thanks for the replies....

I am still puzzled about the 800k...do I have to wire the money from a foreign country to my Thai account in Chiangmai...or...could I deposit the money in hard cash into my account in Thailand itself..(no remittamces)...

Very confusing...regards.. :o

I am still puzzled about the 800k...do I have to wire the money from a foreign country to my Thai account in Chiangmai

This is what provides the proof that it can from overseas so is the normal and advised method. I suspect some have used atm receipts and other such methods but the wire transfer is the sure thing.

If you want to do another way ask first to be safe.

A type O visa is not a retirement visa. It only allows you to apply within 90 days without leaving the country. You must go into Thai immigration with the proper documents and you must have three pictures with you. The 90 days is from the day your got your visa so if you got it on the first day of the month and don't arrive until the 5th day the 90 days still would start on the first. I strongly suggest that if you are planning to stay here that you get in touch with someone who can help you do it the first time.If you need a name I can give you one. As to your money being deposited here, first you must open a non resident baht account and the best place to do it is at the main Bangkok Bank at Sala Dang. Also at that time you can open a savings account here which will allow you ATM and purchasing privelidges. You have to prove the money came from a foreign country so the best way to do that is once you open the account have your bank wire transfer the money into your new Thai non resident account because you will have to get a paper proving you have that money here. It is complicated in the fact that they are very particular and as I stated before the best way is to get the proper helpt at least the first time because it will save you a lot of time and running around and a lot less frustration. I dont' mean to make it sound more complicated than it really is but you must do it right. Also once you have the one year visa you will still have to check in every 90 days (this can be done by mail if your not in BKK)

That part is simple. If you need any help please let me know

Karen

Karen A type O visa enables a retirement visa to issue. A single entry visa requires you to enter Thailand within 90 days of issue and the 90 day stay commences on the day you arrive NOT the issue date