Australian Man Kills His Canadian Wife

sriracha john

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loser found the pleasuredome on his soi, got caught one too many times goin' there by wife he no longer loved. Too chickensh*t to end things properly he probably got really drunk, really often until this unfortunate event ended it all for the worse.

As he could not have missed the three nightly episodes of CSI so generously offered by UBC/AXN (programming idiots and cheapskates that they are), I doubt he really wanted to get away with it. What kind of life could anyone live with the police always after you and this sort of act on your conscience? What would he do next? Go apply for work in Argentina?

She had a Canadian family - this would have not have gone away until he was caught. Unless he has plans to pay-off the right Thai official to be found innocent, he would have been better off turning himself in in either Canada or Australia a better life sentence...

He was screwed the moment he picked up the hammer and probably knew it and conseded defeat well before police arrived. His life's a private hel_l from now till dooms day - and well deserved. Just a sad, sick shame for all...

i am responding to this whole topic and not any particular person.

i am a best friend to barbara's daughter and very close friend to the couple as well. the daughter had left on wednesday night to go back to canada, and barbara and stewart were to follow on friday. this has been an terrible thing to happen and i just wanted to clear up some of the rubbish that i have seen, posted and reported. I do know the family very well and spent most weekends and many evenings with them over the past 8 months. We had a wonderful christmas weekend the previous weekend as they wouldnt be in bangkok to celebrate. Barbara and Stewert were a loving couple, and nothing can explain what has happened. EVERYONE that nows them and knows them well is in great shock. As for the trash reporting without finding facts, its terrible. A few facts, in no particular order... Barbara was a BEAUTIFUL women, mind and body, yes she was 61 but she didnt look near 61, Stewart loved her alot and doddled after her all the time and they showed affection towards each other all the time, as for a mistress, impossible as they never left each others side unless at work. Weekends we spent at the house enjoying conversation, or the group of us out for massages, dinners, the shopped together everything together, and was his doings as much as hers. Motive with age difference is a crock as well as they were very equal financially he had nothing to gain from the will, which im sure he knew before hand, having wrote them together after they were married. They had no plans to move to canada, and had almost completed there dream retirement home in Phuket . The tickets to canada had been booked since June and they all were looking forward to trip, minus the cold. Stewart has confessed yet, but all the details of the actual act, and how it happened will never be known for certain, as the one who can tell is no longer with us, as we can never be 100% sure from details from the guilty party. It was a terrible terrible thing to happen and from what i know about stewert his punishment has already begun and i believ his punishment from himself will be greater then any of the prisons here. I dont know what ive missed, first time for a forum and i will check this again soon. I have to admitt i am shocked at some of the awful comments here, but i know that some people have no morals, joke or not, she passed on a week ago. be mindful that yes many people check these and at least give some time before you start you disgusting jump into comments, about someone you have no idea about!

MORE update:

Australian held over wife's Thai murder

Date: 24/12/05

A 44-year-old Australian man who allegedly beat his Canadian wife to death in Thailand says he has lost the light of his life.

Stewart Keith McLeod, originally from the NSW Mid North Coast, is being held at a Bangkok police station lock-up.

He faced a remand hearing and will later be transferred to a prison until the case comes to trial.

McLeod will face charges of murdering his 61-year-old Canadian-born wife, Barbara, in the early hours of Friday during a violent domestic fight at their Bangkok residence.

Both were working in the information technology (IT) industry in Asia over the past decade having met each other while working in Hong Kong before marrying.

They had been married for nine years.

McLeod, was a data base analyst with Thai telecommunications company, True Corporation, while his wife had also been employed as a consultant in the Thai telecom sector.

In an interview with AAP shortly after returning from court, McLeod spoke of his remorse over the incident saying he could remember arguing with his wife but "nothing else".

"I don't remember. There was an argument then I don't remember," he told AAP from behind bars at the local police station.

But in earlier interviews with police and officials McLeod had described events in graphic detail, officials said, allegedly telling how he had bludgeoned his wife to death over a period of 10 minutes of repeated beatings.

"It was a pretty heated argument," he said, but refused to say what had triggered the domestic fight.

"I guess I lost my temper. It was the first one in nine years," he allegedly said.

McLeod said while his work at True Corp was not that stressful, his wife's work had been.

"She had been working long hours and that makes it hard; we had had not much time together," he said.

Work colleagues who visited the police cells expressed shock by the tragic events.

"He was always very professional," said a Thai woman from True Corp who did not want to be identified.

Others IT industry professionals interviewed by AAP said Mrs McLeod was also popular.

"She's very good. People liked her a lot," said a 40-year old former employee of telecommunications company, Hutch.

Industry sources said friends of the couple had spoken to Barbara at about 8pm on Thursday night on the telephone but had to cut short the conversation as she was readying to go out for dinner.

In the early hours of Friday morning McLeod allegedly took the body and buried it in a shallow grave.

"I was shocked. I panicked. It was not like it was pre-meditated. Basically I tried to cover up (the murder)," he had said.

Later as part of his ruse he called acquaintances at Hutch seeking assistance to locate his wife. The friends had unsuccessfully tried to call her on her mobile.

"I don't think it's forgivable. If I could only take it back. But I can't. Ill be doing time, whatever it is, and I'll just have to live with it afterwards," police allege he had said.

He had also initially gone to the police station to lodge missing persons report. But while being interviewed police received a call that a body of a foreign women had been discovered in the area.

"I don't want to diminish (what had happened). Two people in a room, an argument and at the end of it one of them is dead," he said.

"In one night I managed to lose the lady ... the light of my life," he is alleged to have said.

"My life is over. I've hurt everybody I know," he said.

No date has been set for the trial.

Thai media reports said Thai police had searched the home and found bloodstains in the bedroom on the floor and the stairs.

The reports said McLeod confessed to the murder, taking police to where he hid the murder weapon, a hammer, in his luggage.

A blood-stained bed sheet was also recovered, the media reports said.

Copyright © 2005 AAP

another fact is that their was no shallow grave, and i know that they had dinner at home that night and the part about the clal being cut short didnt happen, having spoke to the friend she was talking with and it was a normal conversation, and ended normally with merry christmas see you in the new year. the media has blown alot of what happened up and alot of details i would not want to know where they came from and who's imagination they come from. Aot is accurate and but as much is not

In light of jujureno's post, here is Thaivisa's Hall of Shame. May it serve as a reminder for all to consider posting appropriately in threads such as this:

I believe jujureno was dissapointed on anybody who speculated on the resons of the death, not just the "tasteless" jokes. So your hall of shame, he who must judge, needs to be a whole lot longer.

Thank you.

Let's hope Nepal4me and the geezer who writes his name in Thai are speaking in jest...... if there is a remote bit of seriousness in what they both said I reckon they should be labelled Ultra Suspicious !!!!!! F###### CREEPS

Coarse I'm kidding you old dingbat. I mean with all the idiotic comments on this thread, thought I'd add my own. I even laughed out loud when I wrote it. Amazing people will actually react to shlt like this. Fricken moron.

:D I must be missing something,what is the crime? :o

This is the 2nd time I've expressed my sympathy to all involved--and in this case there appears to be quite a lot of victims.

Thanks jujureno for clearing up some things. As is often the case, I don't know if anyone will ever find out exactly why this tragedy occurred.

Again, my sympathies.

In light of jujureno's post, here is Thaivisa's Hall of Shame. May it serve as a reminder for all to consider posting appropriately in threads such as this:

I believe jujureno was dissapointed on anybody who speculated on the resons of the death, not just the "tasteless" jokes. So your hall of shame, he who must judge, needs to be a whole lot longer.

Thank you.

I checked with the Judge... and he said he's just sorry he can't be Executioner as well, but that he was satisfied with just starting a list of those with tasteless jokes...

such as yours was.

:o

Well, Sriracha John, first I’ll say “you’re full of crap”.

Before you go denouncing others to your “hall of shame”, you may want to consider your own membership.

The crap articles you and others post on TV are often just that, crap. The best I can gather is your posts are “based on fact” and that’s as far as it goes. As per jujureno, your original post was half accurate and half not. Who are you to cast judgment on who goes into this “hall”. You sent out this post of half truths and half BS, what did you think was going to happen? You and others continually post articles that may or may not have any basis in fact. You guys clearly don’t do any review of your source before you just blog your crap onto TV. Same as your blogging buddy Buffhorns, take his BS post of the other day, the Dane who was beaten to death by 4 Thai men. That article was pure convolution, it was obviously written by somebody who had a limited understanding of the English language. Maybe that should have been a clue. What did Buffy do? Just pumped it onto TV and the TV’rs en mass followed up with comments to be followed by more comments on these comments. Not to suggest that some Dane wasn’t killed, but why bother posting something that a 12 year old could realize was mostly nonsense. I’ll tell you the reason, it gives TV’r (including myself) something to waste time on.

If you’re such a good citizen, maybe you and other bloggers should consider the value of what you add to TV before you post and beyond that, consider verifying your post. If not verification, at least read it yourself and if it’s totally and obviously some blog-like, troll engendering crap, maybe you shouldn’t post it. Cause if you post crap, you’re going to get crap comments…………..it’s just the TV “way”.

So if you are going to cast stones buddy, take a look in the mirror first and welcome to the 'hall'. :o

Agreed with Jujureno. I knew him vaguely and knew of him, and every one said he was generally a nice guy. Yes. he made a horrendous mistake, if you are not happy for what ever reason - divorce is the way out, even if it cost money - murder is the incredibly dumb way out. But lets face the facts, we all at one time in our lives have been on the verge of spitting the dummy for what ever reason, fortunately for most of us our brain over rides our emotions / anger. For Stewart, it was obvioulsy not the case.

I feel for both of them, she suffered a terrible fate no one deserves, and Stewart has traded his life as he knew it for a virtual hel_l. Lets face it, Thai prisons are probably almost as bad as hel_l itself.

For those who just came out of the gutter to and spurt verbal dioreaha about their age difference, or what ever...... maybe its time to get a life.

Remember, Stewart was a regular guy like any of us..... who knows what you are capable, especially if your from the gutter.

MORE update:

Australian held over wife's Thai murder

Date: 24/12/05

A 44-year-old Australian man who allegedly beat his Canadian wife to death in Thailand says he has lost the light of his life.

Stewart Keith McLeod, originally from the NSW Mid North Coast, is being held at a Bangkok police station lock-up.

He faced a remand hearing and will later be transferred to a prison until the case comes to trial.

McLeod will face charges of murdering his 61-year-old Canadian-born wife, Barbara, in the early hours of Friday during a violent domestic fight at their Bangkok residence.

Both were working in the information technology (IT) industry in Asia over the past decade having met each other while working in Hong Kong before marrying.

They had been married for nine years.

McLeod, was a data base analyst with Thai telecommunications company, True Corporation, while his wife had also been employed as a consultant in the Thai telecom sector.

In an interview with AAP shortly after returning from court, McLeod spoke of his remorse over the incident saying he could remember arguing with his wife but "nothing else".

"I don't remember. There was an argument then I don't remember," he told AAP from behind bars at the local police station.

But in earlier interviews with police and officials McLeod had described events in graphic detail, officials said, allegedly telling how he had bludgeoned his wife to death over a period of 10 minutes of repeated beatings.

"It was a pretty heated argument," he said, but refused to say what had triggered the domestic fight.

"I guess I lost my temper. It was the first one in nine years," he allegedly said.

McLeod said while his work at True Corp was not that stressful, his wife's work had been.

"She had been working long hours and that makes it hard; we had had not much time together," he said.

Work colleagues who visited the police cells expressed shock by the tragic events.

"He was always very professional," said a Thai woman from True Corp who did not want to be identified.

Others IT industry professionals interviewed by AAP said Mrs McLeod was also popular.

"She's very good. People liked her a lot," said a 40-year old former employee of telecommunications company, Hutch.

Industry sources said friends of the couple had spoken to Barbara at about 8pm on Thursday night on the telephone but had to cut short the conversation as she was readying to go out for dinner.

In the early hours of Friday morning McLeod allegedly took the body and buried it in a shallow grave.

"I was shocked. I panicked. It was not like it was pre-meditated. Basically I tried to cover up (the murder)," he had said.

Later as part of his ruse he called acquaintances at Hutch seeking assistance to locate his wife. The friends had unsuccessfully tried to call her on her mobile.

"I don't think it's forgivable. If I could only take it back. But I can't. Ill be doing time, whatever it is, and I'll just have to live with it afterwards," police allege he had said.

He had also initially gone to the police station to lodge missing persons report. But while being interviewed police received a call that a body of a foreign women had been discovered in the area.

"I don't want to diminish (what had happened). Two people in a room, an argument and at the end of it one of them is dead," he said.

"In one night I managed to lose the lady ... the light of my life," he is alleged to have said.

"My life is over. I've hurt everybody I know," he said.

No date has been set for the trial.

Thai media reports said Thai police had searched the home and found bloodstains in the bedroom on the floor and the stairs.

The reports said McLeod confessed to the murder, taking police to where he hid the murder weapon, a hammer, in his luggage.

A blood-stained bed sheet was also recovered, the media reports said.

Copyright © 2005 AAP

another fact is that their was no shallow grave, and i know that they had dinner at home that night and the part about the clal being cut short didnt happen, having spoke to the friend she was talking with and it was a normal conversation, and ended normally with merry christmas see you in the new year. the media has blown alot of what happened up and alot of details i would not want to know where they came from and who's imagination they come from. Aot is accurate and but as much is not

I am a long time friend of the Canadian woman. I think that it is useless to talk about Mr. McLeod's motives or what they did the night he murdered her or where they worked or any and all of the things this forum has discussed. A crime of passion is still a crime and Mr. McLeod went to great lengths to cover up his crime...knowingly and with great planning -- hiding his weapon, cleaning up, putting her in a bag, dragging her somewhere outside of their home and attempting to bury her. Any time and might serve in a Thai prison could NEVER be enough time. I will agree that their marriage was a good marriage, for the most part and, having met Mr. McLeod, I can attest to the fact that he WAS a good man. Barbara was a warm, selfless, caring and enormously compassionate and patient woman. May she rest in peace. May you all get some perspective.

i am responding to this whole topic and not any particular person.

i am a best friend to barbara's daughter and very close friend to the couple as well. the daughter had left on wednesday night to go back to canada, and barbara and stewart were to follow on friday. this has been an terrible thing to happen and i just wanted to clear up some of the rubbish that i have seen, posted and reported. I do know the family very well and spent most weekends and many evenings with them over the past 8 months. We had a wonderful christmas weekend the previous weekend as they wouldnt be in bangkok to celebrate. Barbara and Stewert were a loving couple, and nothing can explain what has happened. EVERYONE that nows them and knows them well is in great shock. As for the trash reporting without finding facts, its terrible. A few facts, in no particular order... Barbara was a BEAUTIFUL women, mind and body, yes she was 61 but she didnt look near 61, Stewart loved her alot and doddled after her all the time and they showed affection towards each other all the time, as for a mistress, impossible as they never left each others side unless at work. Weekends we spent at the house enjoying conversation, or the group of us out for massages, dinners, the shopped together everything together, and was his doings as much as hers. Motive with age difference is a crock as well as they were very equal financially he had nothing to gain from the will, which im sure he knew before hand, having wrote them together after they were married. They had no plans to move to canada, and had almost completed there dream retirement home in Phuket . The tickets to canada had been booked since June and they all were looking forward to trip, minus the cold. Stewart has confessed yet, but all the details of the actual act, and how it happened will never be known for certain, as the one who can tell is no longer with us, as we can never be 100% sure from details from the guilty party. It was a terrible terrible thing to happen and from what i know about stewert his punishment has already begun and i believ his punishment from himself will be greater then any of the prisons here. I dont know what ive missed, first time for a forum and i will check this again soon. I have to admitt i am shocked at some of the awful comments here, but i know that some people have no morals, joke or not, she passed on a week ago. be mindful that yes many people check these and at least give some time before you start you disgusting jump into comments, about someone you have no idea about!

Considering this is not the first time a bunch of pricks have jumped in and commented after a tragedy, and also not the first time a relative or friend has come onto the forum to defend the people involved in the tragedy (something that will happen very often because people will search info on the net and often easily find this website due to its good rankings) that the admin really need to out a stop to some of these way out of line comments.

Its fine I expect that we all make some black humour jokes to friends or whoever about murdered people or bad stuff thats happened, it doesn't hurt anyone, but due to the publicness of this forum and accessabilty of it, soon it becomes a case of those comments being read by people it will hurt, and if members can't be trusted to think of that before they type then I believe some moderation is in order.

Imagine if this was relative of yours and you saw such comments about her after she was murdered on a discussion forum, very hurtful and to be honest pretty disgusting.

...Imagine if this was relative of yours and you saw such comments about her after she was murdered on a discussion forum, very hurtful and to be honest pretty disgusting.
If so, I would not expect anything else... and also appreciate the comforting words from the more sympathetic ones. But, that's just me :o

Patex

Nepal4me ,2005-12-24 18:52:38]
jmw,2005-12-24 19:21:20]
เพลง,2005-12-24 21:26:37]
mastermason4,2005-12-24 22:16:39]
nellyp,2005-12-25 07:31:13]
rapidteachers,2005-12-25 07:44:40]
socalbro,2005-12-28 23:34:46]

Considering this is not the first time a bunch of pricks have jumped in and commented after a tragedy, and also not the first time a relative or friend has come onto the forum to defend the people involved in the tragedy (something that will happen very often because people will search info on the net and often easily find this website due to its good rankings) that the admin really need to out a stop to some of these way out of line comments.

Its fine I expect that we all make some black humour jokes to friends or whoever about murdered people or bad stuff thats happened, it doesn't hurt anyone, but due to the publicness of this forum and accessabilty of it, soon it becomes a case of those comments being read by people it will hurt, and if members can't be trusted to think of that before they type then I believe some moderation is in order.

Imagine if this was relative of yours and you saw such comments about her after she was murdered on a discussion forum, very hurtful and to be honest pretty disgusting.

Agree wholeheartedly, madness...

Edited by sriracha john

• 4 months later...

Case in point, madness.... a VERY good case in point below...VVVVVVVVV

What a moron. Not that he doesn't deserve a Thai jail, but with that kind of evidence against him you'd think he'd head for the airport and get the next flight out of the country instead of walking into a police station.

Your ignorence is your defining moment. I am Stewarts nephew and all your bullshit only serves the criminal mind. Before your mind starts to rave, think... Think about the facts. What are the facts??? You tell me. All you mother######ers that have never been victim or never been criminal are only kidding yourselves. It takes all kinds and Stewart is one of you. So before you judge him.... Cliche your mother######ing self and realise the truth of the world.

I think half of it is that people don't expect what they say to be read by anyone outside the Thaivisa circles, but if you put the victims name into google then Thaivisa.com comes up right at the top, so its fairly obvious that one day family or friends will come upon this thread. :o

I think tighter rules and keeping a closer eye on this kind of subject might serve as better use of a mods time than growling at a poster for mentioning bargirls. :D

I think the nature of the forum has a lot to do with posts going overboard (instantaneous and anonymous), rather than posters being inherently ‘mean’, once news is out people will comment, often in the heat of the moment.

Not only that (my opinion) the TV is possibly the major source of Thai news for many.

So the question in my mind is, does the obligation to get the news out (and get comments on it which can be helpful as well as negative) override the relatives and friends pain and suffering from reading comments on raw painful often brutal life events in real time?

It’s a fine line, but yeah I agree, isn’t it a matter for a policy and the moderators?

(This could all be a bad cheese induced over tight underwear coffee hangover, induced waffle that will be embarrassing tomorrow.)

This crime sends a chill down my spine.

Why?

Because my wife (not Thai, but Chinese) attacked me with a hammer just a few days after this murder.

(We are both in our early 40s and live in California.)

What happened was, a "normal" marital spat (which, as usual, my wife had started - I think the topic was fear of our financial future) got more and more heated until my wife proclaimed (not for the first time in our marriage):

W (screaming): "I'm gonna divorce you!!!"

I (calm): "OK, I'm just gonna move to Thailand, and will find someone HALF your age!"

W (screaming): "If you do that, I'm gonna track you down and kill you!!!"

I (very calm): "Well, Thailand has 70 million inhabitants and you're never gonna find me!"

W (screaming): "I'm not gonna wait, I'm going to do it right now, I'm going to kill you!"

At this point I locked myself into the master bedroom, fearing she would grab a knife as she had done before (once). I was alarmed but not panicking - yet.

The next thing I hear, she is trying to break down the bedroom door with a hammer. :D

Whereupon my heart tries to jump out of my chest and I call 911. (I have a Springfield .45 in a safe in the master bedroom, but if I shoot her through the door I'm the one who's in a lot of trouble and I never seriously consider doing that.)

The dispatcher hears the hammer blows against the door (and they are now also on tape), probably also the death threats.

After what seems like an eternity the cops arrive. (As I find out later, 4 squad cars had responded, but as my wife had by then ceased her attack and opened the door for the first 2 cops, the other 2 squad cars were sent away quickly.)

She gets taken to jail on two counts "brandishing a weapon" and "making a terrorist threat", posts $20,000 bail, finds an expensive lawyer, plea-bargains the whole thing down to a single misdemeanor (vandalism, of all things) and will have to attend an anger-management course and won't have to do any time.

We are still living together, for the time being. :o

But now she has a conviction on her record. :D

Asian women.

Can't live with them, can't live without them.

In a few years, I'll probably dump her and retire to Thailand and will hopefully find someone a little bit calmer and a little bit happier.

Right now is not the time. Not enough savings, still making a lot of money in the software industry.

-Harry

I have some sympathy for the guy. He OBVIOUSLY didn't plan to kill her. What sets off this kind of rage is beyond my comprehension. I think the guy was in a blind rage and didn't know he had killed her until after the fact and he had cooled down. He was then faced with a situation that had totally destroyed his life. There was no bringing her back. His attempt at hiding her body and covering his tracks was pretty feeble. :o

• 2 months later...

Oneone knows what triggers someone to do what he did, and no one knows why he did it.

But looking at the picture of them together they looked like a lovely couple, she looked amazing for her age (I'm sure there are a lot of us women out there that would love to look that good at 61)

My deepest sympathy to all concerned

Oneone knows what triggers someone to do what he did, and no one knows why he did it.

But looking at the picture of them together they looked like a lovely couple, she looked amazing for her age (I'm sure there are a lot of us women out there that would love to look that good at 61)

My deepest sympathy to all concerned

I was shocked when I heard the news. Stewart is my colleague when he was working in one of the mobile operator in Hong Kong. Is the case settled yet? Really want to know how Stewart's now.

Anyway can tell?