Australian Man Kills His Canadian Wife

sriracha john

How is Stewart now? In jail or still under investigation?

I am from Hong Kong and was his colleague when he's working in Hong Kong.

Hi, I am a good friend of Barbara's (I knew her for 25 years) and Stewart's. He is in the Bangkok Remand Prison awaiting trial. The trial will take place at the end of November. He has been accused of "murder with intent". He is as well as can be expected - having destoyed his own life as well as that of the love of his life.

If you were Stewart's colleague in Hong Kong (I also was there for a few years before coming to Bangkok - you know only too well how much in love they were. November 1st was to have been their 10th wedding anniversary. A huge argument - and Sewart never before had had an argument with Barbara - and it all went wrong. A double tragedy. Both of their families are devastated. Barbara had a Buddhist funeral service and cremation here and her ashes were scattered in the ocean.

We are going to visit him tomorrow - his birthday. I know that Barbara would want us to support him, because she loved him very much, and his life now is over... If you would like to tell me who you are I can pass on a message for you.

post-36848-1161513645_thumb.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this is not the first time a bunch of pricks have jumped in and commented after a tragedy, and also not the first time a relative or friend has come onto the forum to defend the people involved in the tragedy (something that will happen very often because people will search info on the net and often easily find this website due to its good rankings) that the admin really need to out a stop to some of these way out of line comments.

Its fine I expect that we all make some black humour jokes to friends or whoever about murdered people or bad stuff thats happened, it doesn't hurt anyone, but due to the publicness of this forum and accessabilty of it, soon it becomes a case of those comments being read by people it will hurt, and if members can't be trusted to think of that before they type then I believe some moderation is in order.

Imagine if this was relative of yours and you saw such comments about her after she was murdered on a discussion forum, very hurtful and to be honest pretty disgusting.

Case in point, madness.... a VERY good case in point below...VVVVVVVVV

What a moron. Not that he doesn't deserve a Thai jail, but with that kind of evidence against him you'd think he'd head for the airport and get the next flight out of the country instead of walking into a police station.

Your ignorence is your defining moment. I am Stewarts nephew and all your bullshit only serves the criminal mind. Before your mind starts to rave, think... Think about the facts. What are the facts??? You tell me. All you mother######ers that have never been victim or never been criminal are only kidding yourselves. It takes all kinds and Stewart is one of you. So before you judge him.... Cliche your mother######ing self and realise the truth of the world.

Hi, I am going to visit your uncle tomorrow at the Bangkok Remand Prison. If you would like me to pass on a message, please let me know. I do not visit him that often, once every couple of months. I also email him, so can let him know you are thinking of him.

Considering this is not the first time a bunch of pricks have jumped in and commented after a tragedy, and also not the first time a relative or friend has come onto the forum to defend the people involved in the tragedy (something that will happen very often because people will search info on the net and often easily find this website due to its good rankings) that the admin really need to out a stop to some of these way out of line comments.

Its fine I expect that we all make some black humour jokes to friends or whoever about murdered people or bad stuff thats happened, it doesn't hurt anyone, but due to the publicness of this forum and accessabilty of it, soon it becomes a case of those comments being read by people it will hurt, and if members can't be trusted to think of that before they type then I believe some moderation is in order.

Imagine if this was relative of yours and you saw such comments about her after she was murdered on a discussion forum, very hurtful and to be honest pretty disgusting.

Case in point, madness.... a VERY good case in point below...VVVVVVVVV

What a moron. Not that he doesn't deserve a Thai jail, but with that kind of evidence against him you'd think he'd head for the airport and get the next flight out of the country instead of walking into a police station.

Your ignorence is your defining moment. I am Stewarts nephew and all your bullshit only serves the criminal mind. Before your mind starts to rave, think... Think about the facts. What are the facts??? You tell me. All you mother######ers that have never been victim or never been criminal are only kidding yourselves. It takes all kinds and Stewart is one of you. So before you judge him.... Cliche your mother######ing self and realise the truth of the world.

Hi, I am going to visit your uncle tomorrow at the Bangkok Remand Prison. If you would like me to pass on a message, please let me know. I do not visit him that often, once every couple of months. I also email him, so can let him know you are thinking of him.

Yes please. Let him know his family are thinking of him and wishing him all the best. I would also like to know how he is. Please tell him that all his canberan nephews will walk Kokoda with him when he gets out and please let him know that when we can get over there we will. My email is [email protected] as I would love to stay in contact with somebody that see him regulaly. I assume you will be at his trial end of November, say good day to my old girl. Thankyou very much

• 1 month later...

UPDATE... the case has gone to court now:

Aussie on murder charge in Thailand

A 45-year-old man from NSW is due to face a Thai criminal court today on charges of murdering his 61-year-old Canadian wife in December last year.

Stewart Keith McLeod was arrested soon after the body of his wife, Barbara Lynn McLeod, was found dumped in bushes in an upscale residential area of Bangkok in late December.

Both Mr McLeod and his wife had been working in the information technology (IT) industry in Asia for several years.

Thai police have alleged that Mr McLeod had beaten his wife of nine years to death during a late night violent domestic fight at their residence.

He had initially gone to the police to lodge a missing persons report but police became suspicious and after interrogating Mr McLeod for several hours allege the Australian had confessed to the murder.

Mr McLeod is expected to be asked to lodge a plea during his appearance at the Bangkok criminal court today.

In an interview soon after his arrest Mr McLeod spoke of his remorse over the incident, adding he remembered arguing with his wife but nothing else of the beating to his wife.

“I don't think it's forgiveable. If I could only take it back. But I can't. I'll be doing time, whatever it is, and I'll just have to live with it afterwards,” Mr McLeod said.

“In one night I managed to lose the lady of my life. The light of my life. My life is over. I've hurt everybody I know.”

Media reports at the time said Thai police had searched the home and uncovered bloodstains in the bedroom on the floor and the stairs.

After Mr McLeod allegedly confessed to the murder he led police to where he had hidden the murder weapon, a hammer, in his luggage. A blood stained bed sheet was also recovered.

- news.com.au

Aussie admits Bangkok murder

An Australian man has pleaded guilty in a Thai criminal court to the assault and murder of his Canadian wife at their condominium in December last year.

Stewart Keith McLeod, 45, wearing brown prison attire and heavy ankle chains, accepted the charges by one of a panel of three judges gave a subdued "yes" and simple nod of his head.

McLeod was arrested on December 23 last year after the body of his 61-year-old wife, Barbara Lynn McLeod, was discovered in a laneway near their residential apartment in an upscale suburb of Bangkok.

The Australian, originally from the central mid-coast of New South Wales, had told police the couple, due to depart for Canada later that day for Christmas holidays, argued in the early hours when he assaulted and bludgeoned her to death.

McLeod initially lodged a missing persons report with the local police. But they became suspicious of his story and after interrogating him charged him with murder.

Public prosecutor at the hearing, Supol Yutidhada, said McLeod was also charged with false testimony to police and concealing a body.

The McLeods had known each other for 13 years and been married for the last nine.

Both had been working in Asia's booming information technology (IT) industry. They had met in Hong Kong before coming to Thailand almost four years ago.

Relatives and friends from Australia and Canada also attended the hearing in the white painted, air-conditioned room at Bangkok's south criminal court before a panel of three Thai judges.

There are no jury trials in Thailand.

In giving evidence McLeod's 32-year-old step daughter, Tasha Singleton, told the judges through a translator that she had been with the couple until December 21 when she flew to Canada.

Her mother and stepfather had been expected to travel to Canada for the Christmas holidays on December 23.

She flew back to Thailand in early January after being told of the tragedy and confronted McLeod over the incident at a remand prison.

"He said they were having an argument and that she wasn't understanding and he snapped and he pushed her and he hit her," Singleton told the court.

When asked by the defence lawyer whether McLeod had been a good carer of her mother over the years, Singleton answered: "Absolutely."

"Was he a generous person?," the lawyer asked. "Yes," she answered.

Singleton said McLeod was also never easy to show anger. The judge then asked her: "Do you still want to press both civil and criminal charges (against him)?."

"I think he should do some time (in jail)," she answered.

McLeod's defence lawyer, who asked not to be named, said he would argue the murder was a crime of passion and anger rather than intent to kill.

Under Thai law McLeod faces a minimum jail term of 15 years, that can be reduced due to his plea of guilty.

The judge could lower the final jail term by as much as half or in the minimum term down to seven and a half years.

The case is continuing with a final sentencing date expected in January.

Source: AAP

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

Australian to appeal 34-year jail term

An Australian man jailed over the murder of his Canadian wife in Thailand is appealing against the severity of his 34-year jail sentence, his lawyer says.

Stewart Keith McLeod, 45, from the NSW mid-north coast, was found guilty of the murder of his 61-year-old wife Barbara during a heated domestic dispute on December 23, 2005.

McLeod also was convicted of disposing of his wife's body and providing false information to the police.

Police said McLeod had bashed his wife to death with a hammer during a domestic argument. Her body was later found dumped in bushes in a residential area of Bangkok.

He was jailed for 34 years on December 28 last year.

McLeod's lawyer, who asked not to be named, said an appeal against the severity of the sentence was lodged last Friday.

"We have decided to appeal against the judgment," the lawyer told AAP.

During McLeod's trial the lawyer had argued for a lenient sentence based on the murder as a "crime of passion and anger".

Under Thai law, if the judge had accepted the crime of passion argument McLeod could have faced a jail term of 15 years, possibly further reduced with a guilty plea.

But the sentencing judge rejected the argument, court sources said.

McLeod's lawyer said a lighter sentence was being sought.

"We merely request for a lighter sentence before the appeals court," the lawyer said.

A judgment from the appeals court could take up to 18 months, he said.

- AAP

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Aussie's Thai appeal dismissed

An Australian jailed in Thailand for bashing his Canadian wife to death has lost his appeal against the severity of his 34-year jail term.

The South Bangkok Criminal Court was reported today to have rejected Stewart Keith McLeod's plea for a reduction in his sentence.

Forty-five-year-old McLeod, originally from NSW, was found guilty in late December of bludgeoning to death his 61-year-old wife, Barbara, during a heated domestic dispute in December 2005.

McLeod also was found guilty of disposing of his wife's body and providing false testimony to the police on the day of his arrest.

McLeod's lawyer, who asked not to be named, said the appeal argued the murder was a crime of passion and anger, and occurred after they rowed over a relationship his client was having with a Thai woman.

But, reports said, the court rejected the appeal saying McLeod had intended to kill his wife.

The court originally sentenced him to life but had reduced the term to 33 years for the murder and 13 months for hiding the body and providing false testimony.

The couple were preparing to go to Canada the next day for the Christmas holiday when McLeod murdered his wife.

The McLeods, who met in Hong Kong, had both worked in the telecommunications industry in Asia.

Legal observers said they were surprised by the speed of the court's decision. The appeal was lodged in late January.

Legal sources said the reconfirmation of the sentence now entitled McLeod to sentence reductions under amnesties and prisoner classifications.

An Australian Embassy spokesman said officials were monitoring the case and providing consular assistance.

- news.com.au

Hi,

I think you'll find this update re McLeod losing his appeal is wrong. There was a mix-up with court reporters yesterday and some confusing info emerged. I just spoke to someone who checked with the court and have been told the appeal is still being assessed - so there is still hope McLeod can get some years lopped off his sentence.

• 1 year later...
UPDATE

Aussie's Thai appeal dismissed

An Australian jailed in Thailand for bashing his Canadian wife to death has lost his appeal against the severity of his 34-year jail term.

The South Bangkok Criminal Court was reported today to have rejected Stewart Keith McLeod's plea for a reduction in his sentence.

45-year-old McLeod, originally from NSW, was found guilty in late December of bludgeoning to death his 61-year-old wife, Barbara, during a heated domestic dispute in December 2005.

The court originally sentenced him to life but had reduced the term to 33 years for the murder and 13 months for hiding the body and providing false testimony.

The couple were preparing to go to Canada the next day for the Christmas holiday when McLeod murdered his wife.

UPDATE... an even further reduction from his original life sentence...

Sentence slashed for Aussie killer

An Australian man convicted of bludgeoning his wife to death in Thailand has had his jail sentence slashed.

Stewart Keith McLeod, 46, was arrested in December 2005 after murdering his Canadian wife Barbara Lynn McLeod, 61, with a hammer at their Bangkok home.

McLeod was originally sentenced to life in jail, which was later amended to 34 years, and then 20 years.

But McLeod's lawyer, who asked not to be named, today said an appeals court review had ruled his client should serve just over 14 years for the murder and other convictions for perverting the course of justice and disposing of his wife's body.

His lawyers had argued the slaying was a crime of passion.

The couple had been preparing to leave for a holiday in Canada when they became involved in a heated argument, and McLeod killed his wife with the hammer.

- AFP / 16-07-08

===============================================================================

LIFE > 34 > 20 > 14 > ?

Edited by sriracha john

• 5 months later...

Reading between the lines, I'm wondering if the young Aussie bloke married to the much older richer Canadian lady....made a few $$$ when the old girl passed on. Perhaps after spending a few years in the hilton he is chosing to spend his money more wisely, thus ensuring that he will be out in time to spend whatever is left.

If that is a crime of passion, i hope i never meet a lady with the same passion for me :o

Good god, she was 17 years his senior.......and Canadian.

No wonder he bludgeoned her to death. I would have done the same.

The world doesn't need the likes of you....racist.....inhumane !

Sick ba@tard !

Jem

Yes it does, I thought that was quite good.

Obviously you've never met many Canadians. :o

Happy New Year

My husband finds Asian women unattractive, except for the stunning beauties in Chiang Mai. Notice that we will be living in Korat. :o

Keep him away from the Klang Plaza !

This is a tragic story, and it is a very unpleasant way to leave this planet.

The confessed murderer sure seems to have made a number of silly mistakes. Well, now he can adjust to life in a Thai prison. At least he gets to live unlike the unfortunate victim.

Rest in peace dear lady.

Good god, she was 17 years his senior.......and Canadian. 

No wonder he bludgeoned her to death.  I would have done the same.

The world doesn't need the likes of you....racist.....inhumane !

Sick ba@tard !

Jem

It's called black humour. It is used by peeps to comment on things that are too awful and powerful to them to deal with.

These things do bring out jokes which are not intentionally harmful, but can seem to be a bit lacking in taste.

The feeling of being distanced from it all, and the sheer bizarre action itself make it appear remote and somehow not real.

But murder is murder and making fun of it doesn't mean people think lightly of it. It was a very disgusting crime and his reduced sentence is even more disgusting.

As somebody has said rest in peace, dear lady.

But I don't see where the "racist" bit comes from.

Australian beats wife to death with a hammer in Bangkok

Published on Dec 23 , 2005

An Australian man was arrested Friday and charged with beating his Canadian wife to death with a hammer, Thai police said.

The arrest took place shortly after the body of Barbara Lynn Mceod, 61, was found dumped in bushes in a residential area of Bangkok, according to police Maj. Gen. Kosin Hintow.

Her husband, Stewart Keith Mceod, 44, went to police early Friday morning to report that his wife had left the house and not returned for several hours, saying that he was concerned both for her safety and his own.

Detecting suspicious behavior, police interrogated Mceod for several hours before he confessed to beating his wife to death with a hammer and disposing of her body in the bushes, Kosin said.

Mceod, an employee of True Corporation, a communications company, is in police custody pending trial, while the body of his wife has been sent to the Police Hospital for an autopsy, police said.

She must have been a Montreal Canadians fan!

UPDATE... an even further reduction from his original life sentence...

===============================================================================

LIFE > 34 > 20 > 14 > ?

Thats a shame, he will probably spend less time in jail than people jailed on drug charges :o ...

Edited by MyphuketLife

Police said investigations revealed the incident might have stemmed from arguments over McLeod’s alleged involvement with a Thai woman.

--The Nation 2005-12-24

Why does this come as no surprise..... :o

OOoooohhh terrible...

hang on a minute .. dont start blaming the thai women for this.. they get blamed for everything....

maybe when he met her he was around 30 and she was an attactive mid 40 year old?.... easy enough to understand at that point in time!

time took its toll as it always does and he....... well ...... just wanted to end the relationship...and things got out of hand - so to speak...

its about an ex pat who hammered his poor wife to death....

thailand the land of smiles... must be the most dangerous place for ex pat married couples to live on this planet!!..

amarka

Some how I don't think the 61-44= 17 difference in age actual started closer.... like 10 years

if she was 40 he'd have been 23.... Been there done that, but didn't marry the dame.

I can't blame the Thai lady... even if she knew about the dowager,

in the local culture she would see her self as normally the mia noi.

Just fulfilling her societal roll of the moment/opportunity so to speak.

Sadly it seems (from page 1 only) the said older woman was not seeing it in the Thai way,

and sadly picked a bad time or bad way to upbraid the guy and he went off his handle but bad.

Another sad mix of western expectations in the eastern candy store.

He will get what he deserves for his lack of self control, crime of passion,

And it must have been passion AKA anger, almost no one tops their mate

with a hammer as a pre-planned act it so illogical. Even Thailand has CSI...

14 years in a Thai prison is worse than 20 years in a Yank lockup by most reports.

I would have left him with the FULL 20 for sure. come out at 75, and no amount of

Viagra wil get him back into the game.

34 years would have been round 80 years old on exit. He either dies early

and/or costs the state much more for medical upkeep.

I think they said chuck him out at 60, no prospects, no work history,

no love life, he'll have a rotten life from then on anyway.

Hopefull she has gone on to a better place for her eternity...

Edited by animatic

Australian beats wife to death with a hammer in Bangkok

Published on Dec 23 , 2005

An Australian man was arrested Friday and charged with beating his Canadian wife to death with a hammer, Thai police said.

The arrest took place shortly after the body of Barbara Lynn Mceod, 61, was found dumped in bushes in a residential area of Bangkok, according to police Maj. Gen. Kosin Hintow.

Her husband, Stewart Keith Mceod, 44, went to police early Friday morning to report that his wife had left the house and not returned for several hours, saying that he was concerned both for her safety and his own.

Detecting suspicious behavior, police interrogated Mceod for several hours before he confessed to beating his wife to death with a hammer and disposing of her body in the bushes, Kosin said.

Mceod, an employee of True Corporation, a communications company, is in police custody pending trial, while the body of his wife has been sent to the Police Hospital for an autopsy, police said.

She must have been a Montreal Canadians fan!

For what it's worth, in the context of this tragic story, that would be Montreal CANADIENS. :o

The sick sense of humor and cruel comments by some TV members speak volumes of the type of farangs who live in, or are associated with, Thailand. Very sad.

Police said investigations revealed the incident might have stemmed from arguments over McLeod's alleged involvement with a Thai woman.

hang on a minute .. dont start blaming the thai women for this.. they get blamed for everything....

Who's blaming Thai women for this? This is all the fault of the murdering husband. I think what was meant was that the husband's involvement with a Thai woman -probably as much or more junior in age to him as he was to his wife- was no great shock. Thai women are often lovely, and some kids can't resist a candy store.

My husband finds Asian women unattractive, except for the stunning beauties in Chiang Mai. Notice that we will be living in Korat. :o

yes the women in chiangmai are stunning that is why I married one. She is only 2 years yonger than me.

The sick sense of humor and cruel comments by some TV members speak volumes of the type of farangs who live in, or are associated with, Thailand. Very sad.

Agreed, but let's be careful not to imply from this that people who post such things represent ThaiVisa in any way. Remember, this is a public forum and anyone can become a member. If a post is offensive, there is a way to report it. See the "! REPORT" button under each post in the left column (see attached image).

post-22359-1230625072.gif