Now In Australia

So now I live in Australia with the family.

The main tips I have about immigration is be honest, thorough and patient.

There is a heap of information on the website www.immi.gov.au read the booklets and follow the rules - its that simple.

Oh of course wait

That is spot on especially about being honest and patient. I have heard from some Thais and heard their stories that they are so much smarter than Australian Immigration that they can tell porkies and immigration is so stupid they will not know,

Australian Immigration can be extremely frustrating but if you are straight up front with them then you will win eventually.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@xen; Thanks for the reply, there is absolutely no point in telling "porkies". They have so much data. I actually had an issue over some doco that was just wrong, and I just looked at them and told them they had much better training and knowledge than I ever would have and could they suggest what to do next. The lady at the counter (this is in Australia) looked at me like I had just given her a bouquet of flowers and then gave me a list of 4 things to make happen and the problem was solved. They certainly do not like to be told their job, but asking for advice politely works well.

@SBK; its been a while since we said hello, and thank you its going well. It will be much better in about 2 weeks when more of the family is back in Sydney - I will provide an update when that happens.

@kevjohn: yes, its really nice, my wife is now waiting on a decision (a few months to go) for her PR in Australia. The Thai community in Sydney is much bigger and stronger than it was 9 years ago, so Mrs Khutan is certainly not feeling as detached as her first visit all that time ago.

As I said, I will post a full update after phase 2 is complete, however I don't want to pre-empt decisions or anything like that until certain people very important to the family can get a bridging visa approved in Sydney.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Congratulations Khutan.

Australia is a great place to live and bring up a family. The possabilities are limitless for people who care to go for it.

Idiots who try to cheat the system nearly always get sorted out.

Have a good life there and retire back to Thailand.

• 7 months later...

As an update;

My wife and step-daughter are just a few weeks away from PR here in Australia. The real time-waster was on my side and getting everyone in Australia at the same time and stop the good-folk at Immi getting dizzy.

I cannot emphasise enough to be honest with Immi and keep all your documents, no matter how trivial you think they are. An example of this being a photo I have from 10 years ago of my wife's name tattooed on my arm. Our case officer was shocked in a happy way to see that when I pulled up my shirt. So what you may thing now as useless trivia 3-5 years later becomes evidence.

So what for you there that want to do this yourself:

The first thing you must do is download this booklet - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf read it maybe 3 - 5 times and understand it.

If you have the opportunity to have the 801/820 Visa processed in Australia then fill out all the forms as best you can and ask the Immi Officers in Australia what to do next. They know much more than you and I will ever know and are happy to take inquiries. DO NOT go there with a team of lawyers and tell them what to do.......

If you do the application in BKK, then it will take more time and you will be apart for longer. My advice in this situation is get on a cheap flight to BKK and make another Australian Citizen.....

In summary its a process that needs to be followed; it can be slow and frustrating, however there is a level of certainty in the process - if you are honest

@krisb - I woke up this morning a bit disappointed as I don't have a valid excuse to turn off the cartoons as the game finished yesterday.

@kevjohn Yes, citizenship is an important thing, although here the only difference between that and PR is the Passport, being able to vote and not needing the Residents Return Visa. The passport certainly makes travel much easier, particularly to the large number of countries that Australians don't require a visa, or have visa waiver programmes.

Khutan, so your wife got in lamens terms the "partner" visa correct?

Mine got partner visa the first "temporary " part of the visa issued about 3 weeks after the bridging visa. Wasnt hard. Now I think its a 2 year wait till the other half of the visa is issued then if I remember correctly , its about 4? years till she takes the Australian pledge on Australia day? gets the Australian citizen certificate also.

Can someone more cluey then myself fill me in please?

Mine got partner visa the first "temporary " part of the visa issued about 3 weeks after the bridging visa. Wasnt hard. Now I think its a 2 year wait till the other half of the visa is issued then if I remember correctly , its about 4? years till she takes the Australian pledge on Australia day? gets the Australian citizen certificate also.

If I understand you correctly you are referring to transitioning from the permanent residency visa (renewable very five years - very straightforward) to Australian citizenship. Yes it is now a four year period before applying for citizenship and the details for application and the process are at: https://www.ecom.imm...IntervalCalc.do

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

If I understand you correctly you are referring to transitioning from the permanent residency visa (renewable very five years - very straightforward) to Australian citizenship. Yes it is now a four year period before applying for citizenship and the details for application and the process are at: https://www.ecom.imm...IntervalCalc.do

That would be right as i had seen on the news once where the F**kd up Auss Gov was offering money for them to do it $20,000

Was talking to a kiwi once , said he might go for it & send the money back home

In my experience the auss gov dont look after their citezens as to when i do get work you have to teach the people who are already there

& taxed to the eye balls with basicly day to day living as its so expensive

That would be right as i had seen on the news once where the F**kd up Auss Gov was offering money for them to do it $20,000

I think it was the reverse, pay australia for the visa, correct me if I am wrong, cheers

I think it was the reverse, pay australia for the visa, correct me if I am wrong, cheers

He's probably talking about the first home owners rebate, which was, I believe, up to A$20,000 in some states to stimulate the housing industry. I believe it's now been pared back. Obviously you would need to meet the criteria for a mortgage & the rebate. It's not just for immigrants.

• 1 month later...

Just as an update we got the grant letter today, for both Mother and Daughter. They now have the 801 Partner Visa, which is PR for Australia.

The clock it ticking for Citizenship :)

Lots of happiness in the Khutan house this evening.

• Like 2

Congratulations on getting the Permanent Residency.

My advice to anyone and all is to keep a copy of absolutely every document and any correspondence by fax or phone call recorded.

Especially to the OZ Immigration. I did not have a bad experience with them and it took exactly 365 days to get the PR, but the CASE Officer obviously had not read all the docs sent to her and wanted again, almost half of the paperwork and photos sent in to her in the original application.

I stress again, keep copy's of everything. thumbsup.gif

For your information and action.

OZEMADE biggrin.png

Just as an update we got the grant letter today, for both Mother and Daughter. They now have the 801 Partner Visa, which is PR for Australia.

The clock it ticking for Citizenship smile.png

Lots of happiness in the Khutan house this evening.

I'll add my congrats - my Thai wife and stepson are proud holders of Australian passports. Stepson is still in Australia and earning good money. Currently no interest in returning to Thailand, but retains Thai respect for mother & family

Edited by simple1