Man Held In Poisoning Deaths Of Four: Thailand

webfact

Man held in poisoning deaths of four

WISIT CHUANPIPATPONG

THE NATION

30180161-01_big.jpg

NAKHON PATHOM: -- A man has been arrested on suspicion of killing at least four people by serving them pesticide-laced beverages, while plotting to steal their valuables and vehicles.

Three victims have survived, while two others remain unaccounted for.

Police yesterday announced the arrest of Nirut, or Jamlong, Sornkhamharn, 43. They said he was nabbed at a rented room in Nakhon Pathom on Monday.

Nirut reportedly confessed to causing the deaths. "But I didn't intend to kill them. Only those who drank all the coffee in their cups died," he said.

Nirut said he received Bt50,000 per stolen vehicle he handed over to a gang based in Songkhla's Hat Yai district. "I have also stolen valuables from the bodies of my victims," Nirut said. All the victims were drivers offering transport services. Nirut said he randomly called his victims from telephone numbers he saw in advertisements.

One of his surviving victims, Paitoon Pattapho, said he received a phone call from Nirut on January 28 offering him Bt4,500 for a job to collect goods from Prachuap Khiri Khan's Pran Buri district. "We had reached Cha-Am [when] he suggested we get something to drink. He volunteered to buy the drinks," Paitoon recounted. "But after three sips, I felt the coffee taste was so bitter. Minutes later, I felt numb and my legs jerked. So, I did my best to pull [the car] aside".

Paitoon said he lost consciousness and when he woke up, he was in forestland with all his valuables gone.

"I still consider myself lucky because I survived," he said.

Not all victims were fortunate. Sombat Suebchua said his 23-year-old son went with Nirut on January 3 and never returned.

"We haven't found his body. We at least want his body back so that we can hold proper funeral rites for him," Sombat said. Nirut said he could not remember where he left his victims.

This suspect has now been implicated in nine crimes. In one case, he allegedly tied stones to the body of Yupin Jomkhem and threw it into Lampao Dam in Kalasin in January last year in a bid to cover up his crime. He is now facing charges of pre-mediated murder, and stealing of vehicles.

Nirut is behind bars at the Crime Suppression Bureau. Sources at the bureau said he attempted to hang himself using an old electric wire but the cable snapped and he fell down, cutting his head.According to the sources, a suspect killed himself in this cell before and many others have attempted to commit suicide there.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai friend says crime has gone up since the flood and everyone should be more careful. Does anyone know if the statistics are out on that?

As for me, there does seem to be a bit more desperation than usual. Twice in the last month (in Bangkok) I've had someone follow me and DEMAND money.

"Nirut said he received Bt50,000 per stolen vehicle he handed over to a gang based in Songkhla's Hat Yai district."

Meanwhile, in other recent Thai news, the government's top priority is preventing people from legally registering used cars from abroad and selling them, second hand, at significant discounts. Any thoughts on even attempting to counter the self-consciously sinister gang presence in Thailand? Flatline...

• Like 2

Multiple premeditated murders for financial gain and for hire. Wow! The authorities have no better case to get after the gang behind it and then the Mr. Bigs behind the gangs. Let's see how they handle it, and let's see how the press is unrelenting in its follow up.

My breakfast was poisoned on Koh Pan Gan Island the morning the "hosts" knew I was leaving. They were enraged that I had reported that my belongings had been stolen from my bungalow to the police because they said they would have to pay the police a fee. They told me that someone would have to die for my goods being stolen - I thought they were talking about the thief. Poisoning is widely under-reported. Would not be good for tourism. Did they ever find out the cause of the 5 or 6 "mysterious" farang deaths in the same hotel in Chiang Mai? To avoid being poisoned it is always a good idea to not eat specially prepared meals or food. Just pick from the trays of communal food or canned drink. Sadly there is not much respect for human life and poisoning is a lot more common than one would imagine. Why, I don't know?

A Thai friend says crime has gone up since the flood and everyone should be more careful. Does anyone know if the statistics are out on that?

As for me, there does seem to be a bit more desperation than usual. Twice in the last month (in Bangkok) I've had someone follow me and DEMAND money.

I agree with this.

As far as this guy is concerned, someone should toss a more durable cable into his cell...

My breakfast was poisoned on Koh Pan Gan Island the morning the "hosts" knew I was leaving. They were enraged that I had reported that my belongings had been stolen from my bungalow to the police because they said they would have to pay the police a fee. They told me that someone would have to die for my goods being stolen - I thought they were talking about the thief. Poisoning is widely under-reported. Would not be good for tourism. Did they ever find out the cause of the 5 or 6 "mysterious" farang deaths in the same hotel in Chiang Mai? To avoid being poisoned it is always a good idea to not eat specially prepared meals or food. Just pick from the trays of communal food or canned drink. Sadly there is not much respect for human life and poisoning is a lot more common than one would imagine. Why, I don't know?

How do you know it was poisoned.. not questioning if it was or not rather what led you to believe it was.. taste ?

The C.M. issue is old news. However, the victims were not intentionally poisoned.

How do you know it was poisoned.. not questioning if it was or not rather what led you to believe it was.. taste ?

I can not be absolutely sure that I was poisoned - but immediately after eating the meal I felt like I was on deaths door. I thought I was going to die but luckily I managed to recuperate. I guess they did not put enough poison in the meal to kill me if my assumption is correct that they poisoned it. Certainly was enough to nearly kill me. They told me that the owners ex-husband was mafia and could have people killed. They were really pissed off about me reporting the theft to the police. Best not to piss people of here unless you want to end up in a liner. Edited by heiwa

Police officer said: He's hanging about for the trial but may not have a lot to say

Good enough for the rat

Not good. Now he can't name the gang leader who hired him. Very convenient 'suicide'.

Especially when he could have been stealing those cars for the insurgents that use them for bombs.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of killing at least four people by serving them pesticide-laced beverages, Three victims have survived, while two others remain unaccounted for.

I should not have skipped so many math classes so I would be able to understand what is written in Thai newspapers...

• Like 1

the chiang mai deaths were because the cleaning ladies were using too much pesticide for killing bed bugs...

Nirut is behind bars at the Crime Suppression Bureau. Sources at the bureau said he attempted to hang himself using an old electric wire but the cable snapped and he fell down, cutting his head.According to the sources, a suspect killed himself in this cell before and many others have attempted to commit suicide there.

Seems as if Euthanasia may be catching on in Thailand.

Or is it an extension of Chalerms rapid death sentence programme being instigated?

Nirut reportedly confessed to causing the deaths. "But I didn't intend to kill them. Only those who drank all the coffee in their cups died," he said.

WELL after one died shouldn't he have worked out the best option would have been to lower the dosage as most people drink a full cup? These robbers really need to go to school before they start their criminal career! I am quite happy to drink six cups. And I like my coffee very bitter so I would not have thought poison.

I thought pesticides were mentioned as a possible cause for the mysterious deaths on Phi Phi. I have yet to see any valid conclusion to these cases or is it just another one of those that gets conveniently forgotten?

Zero traffic deaths during songkran & zero poisoning death of farang tourists in Thailand. Zero deaths looks so beautiful. Isn't it preferable to be that way for marketing campaigns. Do you honestly think that a poisoned tourist is going to get justice? News like that - just too unwholesome. It's more than TAT could bear. Edited by heiwa
  • Like 1

WELL after one died shouldn't he have worked out the best option would have been to lower the dosage as most people drink a full cup? These robbers really need to go to school before they start their criminal career! I am quite happy to drink six cups. And I like my coffee very bitter so I would not have thought poison.

You would have saved him from buying you another five cups then !

You would have saved him from buying you another five cups then !

I daresay I would have saved him the price of 5 cups but this is certainly not the way I wish to cure my out of control caffeine addiction. I would prefer to pursue other options of a cure at this stage. Edited by heiwa

Just as an after thought..

Last year a Thai friend was chatting to another vendor at the bang kae market in west bangkok when suddenly a body went flying off the large Thai style apartment building over Petkasem road near Wonder dept store. it was a young farang in his 30's apparently....cops came and took the body away in a pick up vehicle ... case closed. no media report next day i rolled up about 3 hours after the incident when he told me this story.

Farangs have disappeared or died mysteriously in Thonburi over the years...no police, no file ,no case,no media ...nothing. Usually isan wives involved. One still walks around with gold jewelry. Before she used to wash dishes in the gutter outside Tops store. ...not any more..whistling.gif

• Like 2

A man has been arrested on suspicion of killing at least four people by serving them pesticide-laced beverages, Three victims have survived, while two others remain unaccounted for.

I should not have skipped so many math classes so I would be able to understand what is written in Thai newspapers...

[As of the time of the report] 4 people have been killed, three people have survived attempts to poison them and two people have yet to be found dead or alive.

Translations into English do suffer sometimes, but this seems reasonably straight forward. Probably a good idea to learn to read Thai if you want to get the original version with one fewer revision ... or maybe you skipped too many Thai language classes?

• Like 1

Yes, it is true, and because of all the scum lurkung around nowdays, I have armed my GF with pepper spray to keep her somewhat safer.

I will buy her a taser when I can get my hands on one.

By the way, did you give them money or did you walk / run away? You should have bashed their heads in with a bat.

Edited by ricku