320 Killed On Highways In Seven Days Of Songkran: Thailand

webfact

320 killed on highways in seven days of Songkran

image_20120418135101C437EE15-95B9-AEB1-5321E9D895118E19.jpg

BANGKOK, April 18--- Thailand’s death toll from road accidents nationwide during Thailand’s traditional week-long Songkran new year reached 320 with the number of injuries at 3,320 persons, according to the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

During seven days of the Songkran holiday from April 11-17, 320 deaths were reported, rising by 49 persons compared to the same period last year, Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit told a news briefing on Wednesday in his capacity as director of the Road Safety Centre.

There were 3,129 accidents in total.

The deputy premier said that the northernmost province of Chiang Rai recorded the highest number of accidents at 125 and the highest number of casualties at 124.

Meanwhile, the southern province of Surat Thani had the highest death tally at 13 persons.

However, six provinces, including Nakhon Phanom, Trat, Trang, Pattani, Ranong and Satun, recorded no deaths from road accidents.

The major cause of accidents was attriibuted to drunken driving, followed by speeding, Mr Yongyuth explained.

He said that the road safety centre would compile the 7-day road accident statistics and provide suggestions to report to the Cabinet later and coordinate with concerned agencies to come up with measures and plans, aiming to reduce the number of deaths and injuries to zero.

In an attempt to cut the number of traffic accidents and casualties to the lowest levels possible, the government launched its campaign during the "Seven Dangerous Days" beginning April 11 through 17 to raise awareness among motorists to drive more carefully during Thailand’s traditional new year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-18

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question, rhetoriacal as it may be, When the hell is Thailand going to wake up and stop this stupidity? Killing 320 people over a one week period is madness. To put his in a bit of a different perspective, this is the same as killing 320 people in the UK (population wise) in 7 days. Would this insanity be condoned there? I venture to say that the defication would contact the rotating oscillator, and some police and politicians a$$es would be in a sling. Why is it condoned here? I know TiT - This is Thailand....that bullshit answer no longer has any validity.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, use default forum font when posting.
  • Like 2

Percentages are difference from previous year.

2012 - Accident = 3,129.(- 2.7%)....Death = 320 (+ 18.4%)..Injury = 3,320 (- 4.5%)

2011 - Accident = 3,215.(- 8.6%)....Death = 271 (- 24.9%)...Injury = 3,476 (- 8.6%)

2010 - Accident = 3,516.(- 11.6%)..Death = 361 (- 12%)......Injury = 3,802 (- 12%)

2009 - Accident = 3,977.(- 6.2%)....Death = 373 (+ 1.4%)....Injury = 4,322 (- 9.8%)

2008 - Accident = 4,243..................Death = 368...................Injury = 4,793

Over all ...

Accidents down 26.3% since 2008

Injuries down 30.7% since 2008

Fatalities down 13.0% since 2008

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

I assume that Deputy Prime Minister/Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit in his capacity as director of the Road Safety Centre will resign with immediate effect, at least from his Road Safety Centre role. His campaign was clearly a complete failure.

In any well-run country, he would resign or be made to.

We all know he won't, therefore....

A question, rhetoriacal as it may be, When the hell is Thailand going to wake up and stop this stupidity? Killing 320 people over a one week period is madness. To put his in a bit of a different perspective, this is the same as killing 320 people in the UK (population wise) in 7 days. Would this insanity be condoned there? I venture to say that the defication would contact the rotating oscillator, and some police and politicians a$$es would be in a sling. Why is it condoned here? I know TiT - This is Thailand....that bullshit answer no longer has any validity.

To put this is actual perspective ... it is an increase of road deaths by approx. 10 a day over the amount of road fatalities that occur in an average week in Thailand.

Even if you took the number of injuries for the week during Songkran and multiplied it by 52 (assuming this is the same rate all year long) and then compared them with the number of "serious" injuries in the UK in 2010, the numbers are about the same. http://en.wikipedia....#Annual_summary

Edited by Nisa

SEVEN SONGKRAN DANGEROUS DAYS

320 killed in road accidents during festival

The Nation

30180187-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 3,129 road accidents occurred during the seven Songkran "dangerous days", killing 320 people, Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit announced Wednesday.

Yongyuth, the director of the Road Safety Centre, said the seven-day period from April 11 to 17 ended with 3,320 people being injured in the road accidents.

He said the period saw a lower number of accidents compared with the same period last year but with an 18.08 per cent increase in fatalities.

On Tuesday alone, 257 accidents occurred, killing 38 people and injuring 261 others.

At the end of the seven-day monitoring period for road accidents, six provinces were found to have suffered no fatalities. They were Nakhon Phanom, Trat, Trang, Pattani, Ranong and Satun.

Yongyuth said Chiang Rai had the highest number of road accidents with 125 accidents occurring during the seven-day period. Surat Thani had the highest fatalities with 13 people killed.

The interior minister said drunk driving was the biggest cause of the accidents - 39.21 per cent of the accidents were caused by drunk driving. Violation of the speed limit was the second cause or 21.57 per cent.

Wibul Sanguanpong, the director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said he would coordinate with the seven death-free provinces and study the measures they had used to put forward as a role model for other provinces to try to prevent more fatalities next time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

How many times have you seen a vehicle displaying a "Learner Driver" plate in Thailand? Where would I buy a copy of the Thai Highway Code? The driving mentality here to get in front of the car in front at ANY cost. Normally then to slow and turn off the road. Flash your lights to force your way through and Buddha will sort everything out. In most other countries that would provoke road-rage! Not here where it would perceived as disrespectful to admonish someone for bad driving, particularly if he/she has a better can than you. Road craft is not taught here, a driving licence is not important as being caught without one is sorted out with 200 baht bribe. Combine this normal bad mannered driving with copious amounts of alcohol and the holiday spirit and this is the result. Year after year over every holiday, Songkran, New Year and Loy Kratong. I love Thailand and rarely diss the place but is something they need to look at and quickly.

• Like 1

2012 - Accident = 3,129.(- 2.7%)....Death = 320 (+ 18.4%)..Injury = 3,320 (- 4.5%)

2011 - Accident = 3,215.(- 8.6%)....Death = 271 (- 24.9%)...Injury = 3,476 (- 8.6%)

2010 - Accident = 3,516.(- 11.6%)..Death = 361 (- 12%)......Injury = 3,802 (- 12%)

2009 - Accident = 3,977.(- 6.2%)....Death = 373 (+ 1.4%)....Injury = 4,322 (- 9.8%)

2008 - Accident = 4,243..................Death = 368...................Injury = 4,793

Over all ...

If you can believe the official numbers, which I for one don't (I actually can't think of any organisation here that tells the complete picture)

Btw, it's 2012, and your only as good as your last game.

Songkran what a joyous occassion. I will be sure not to miss it next year. Will book the air tickets tomorrow tongue.png

My Thai friends say Thais can buy a licence for 500 baht. How much does it cost to get it legally?

This is Thailand. You are pissing against the wind trying to change it so its wasted breath. We can't expect everybody to do things our way. Neo colonialism. If they had it in their hearts to change they would. Obviously they don't.

I did not see anyone wearing a helmet. A soldier complained to me about myself wearing a helmet saying it was difficult to put the white talcum powder on my cheeks (not my bum cheeks)

Looks like people don't want to live in Chiang Rai? Why so high?

And I had a thief tail gate me for 15km on a desolate road on the last day of Songkran at 1pm which forced me to ride at 140km/hr. Bike following bike. Nearly collided with oncoming traffic. No houses, no people - perfect place for a robbery - and thais have told me there are many robbers on this desolate road - but did not expect it at 1pm - he was wearing a darkened visor. Farang brothers beware especially after an ATM withdrawl - my guess new form of theft - linked to drug induced crime. I love Thailand all the same - but will be getting the bus from now on.

Edited by heiwa

Songkran what a joyous occassion. I will be sure not to miss it next year. Will book the air tickets tomorrow tongue.png

My Thai friends say Thais can buy a licence for 500 baht. How much does it cost to get it legally?

This is Thailand. You are pissing against the wind trying to change it so its wasted breath. We can't expect everybody to do things our way. Neo colonialism. If they had it in their hearts to change they would. Obviously they don't.

I did not see anyone wearing a helmet. A soldier complained to me about myself wearing a helmet saying it was difficult to put the white talcum powder on my cheeks (not my bum cheeks)

And I had a thief tail gate me for 15km on a desolate road on the last day of Songkran at 1pm which forced me to ride at 140km/hr. Bike following bike. Nearly collided with oncoming traffic. No houses, no people - perfect place for a robbery - and thais have told me there are many robbers on this desolate road - but did not expect it at 1pm - he was wearing a darkened visor. Farang brothers beware especially after an ATM withdrawl - my guess new form of theft - linked to drug induced crime. I love Thailand all the same - but will be getting the bus from now on.

Thai people are remarkably unintelligent.

These are not my words , but those of a former british ambassador to Thailand.

The Songkran slaughter has proven him right , year after year , after year ...

320 in 7 days. That is a lot. Even 1 is too much.

This has been going on for years. How many deaths does it take to change a fxxxx system?

I guess all the BS about how there will be prohibition on drinks and driving was just such; a photo shoot for the top of the elite.

Never mind, relax, TI_AMAZING_T.

This has been going on for years. How many deaths does it take to change a fxxxx system?

I guess all the BS about how there will be prohibition on drinks and driving was just such; a photo shoot for the top of the elite.

Not really a big deal with re-incarnation. You are trying to apply Western concepts to the East. What does death matter when you get an instant rebirth? Perhaps a better birth. This is probably whey they don't really care if they live or die and neither does the government. We can't tell them how to do things. We must respect their culture. Anything else is neo-colonialism. We must accept some cultures think life is incredibly important and for others its just another chance for re-birth. We in the West think their is only one life. This is why will never understand their perspective.
  • Like 2

Not really a big deal with re-incarnation. You are trying to apply Western concepts to the East. What does death matter when you get an instant rebirth? Perhaps a better birth. This is probably whey they don't really care if they live or die and neither does the government. We can't tell them how to do things. We must respect their culture. Anything else is neo-colonialism. We must accept some cultures think life is incredibly important and for others its just another chance for re-birth. We in the West think their is only one life. This is why will never understand their perspective.

If I may, a logical concept, but fatally flawed smile.png

On a serious note, if such was the case, in terms of how deeply they believe in such, then the news would be written along the lines of another good brother has departed and has become the next great ____.

No, Thais, like all, value life and don't want to lose it. The problem is being part of a third world country they are a bit more reckless and suicidal as there is not much to go home to.

Edited by AngryParent

Not really a big deal with re-incarnation. You are trying to apply Western concepts to the East. What does death matter when you get an instant rebirth?

Are you assuming that they all have a Logan's Run type attitude, so wrong.

I live in Chiang Rai and I can tell you now, the driving is horrific. Nearly every day I have a close shave and have been knocked off my bike once (pick up driver overtook me, forced me into the kerb, stopped for a moment, then gunned it!) Today I was tailgated, the guy must have been a metre away from me at 80km/p/h. I decided to give him the finger and boy he nearly wet himself with anger (not clever I know as everyone's packing a gun). One of my student's parents was waiting at a light, a truck ploughed into her head on. The guy got out in his army uniform pissed as a fart, put a gun to her head and made it clear she was not to report him. Policeman at the scene stood by and did nothing. I could go on and on. Before you all tell me to piss off back to my own country, I do love it here but crikey, a little bit of education, common sense and decency on the roads would be nice, And there i go pissing in the wind again. What I really can't understand is this massive rush to go and then sit and do nothing. This springs to mind...

I thought lots of people in the west believed in a utopia (heaven) in the after life? However, I don't think they are suicidal. By the way, the goal of Buddhism is not to be reborn.

Lets not try to put a spin of religion on why people all over the world get into more accidents when their is a festive (drinking) holiday.

Thailand's main problem when it comes to road deaths is simply it is behind the west in terms of development. Simple as that. The number of road accidents and deaths are on a downward trend here just like they are in most of the west but nowhere do the numbers change overnight.

Thailand also faces radically fast expansion and modernization unlike much of the west that grew gradually but even with things like the technology age, laws are still trying to catch up with things. Thailand population didn't gradually enter the automobile age but it came in a rush. Another example is how much of Thailand went from people communicating by shouting to all having cell phones and skipping over land line technology. Sadly, to a certain extent, we all need to learn by our own experiences and learning from others just doesn't have the same impact ... this too is seen more in developing nations.

But not to worry, there is little doubt in years to come that there will be significantly more rules, regulations, enforcement and just generally more government control over people in Thailand ... just like so many places in the west.

• Like 2

The usual resident apologist minimizes the seriousness by comparing apples and durians.

To say that Thailand cannot accept norms of behavior on the roads because it is in Asia begs the question: is Japan in Asia or the West? Is Korea in Asia? Is Hong Kong in Asia. Is Singapore in Asia? Is Taiwan in Asia? Need I continue with this list?

Best I can tell is your post is the first that even mentions the word "Asia" but I can't even find any post that even hints at suggesting Thailand cannot accept norms of the roads because of the continent Thailand is located.

So, to answer your question ... No, unless somebody actually states this as a position, there is no reason to go on as you appear to have created an imaginary position to argue against.

Edited by Nisa

The Nation

30180187-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 3,129 road accidents occurred during the seven Songkran "dangerous days", killing 320 people, Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit announced Wednesday.

Yongyuth, the director of the Road Safety Centre, said the seven-day period from April 11 to 17 ended with 3,320 people being injured in the road accidents.

He said the period saw a lower number of accidents compared with the same period last year but with an 18.08 per cent increase in fatalities.

On Tuesday alone, 257 accidents occurred, killing 38 people and injuring 261 others.

At the end of the seven-day monitoring period for road accidents, six provinces were found to have suffered no fatalities. They were Nakhon Phanom, Trat, Trang, Pattani, Ranong and Satun.

Yongyuth said Chiang Rai had the highest number of road accidents with 125 accidents occurring during the seven-day period. Surat Thani had the highest fatalities with 13 people killed.

The interior minister said drunk driving was the biggest cause of the accidents - 39.21 per cent of the accidents were caused by drunk driving. Violation of the speed limit was the second cause or 21.57 per cent.

Wibul Sanguanpong, the director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said he would coordinate with the seven death-free provinces and study the measures they had used to put forward as a role model for other provinces to try to prevent more fatalities next time.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

Go one mate,encourage shool children to ride a motorbike with at least 3 people sitting on and no helmets,it promises a great future in road safety understanding.

I have a 8 year old going to a school that has classes from P1 to P6, for those who don't know P6 students are 12 year old. While there is a policeman at the school to direct traffic at the start and the end of the schoolday, I see some students come to school riding a motorbike.

I haven't looked at any local news stories in a while but one thing that would bring the numbers down (and provide good ratings) is to focus on some specific accidents (related to seatbelt, helmet, speed, drinking...) showing photos/videos of the wreck, interviewing family members (or drunk driver) and doing a brief bio of the victim's lives while sending home the message these are just some stories that make up the 100s who die on the road during Songkran and thousands who die each year on the road.

People are much more receptive to learning when they can relate it to themselves and putting out numbers as they do each year doesn't have any real impact on improving things.

It might have something to do with the country being run by self serving incompetents for decades, totally corrupt police (well everything actually) and of course the phrase "mai pen rai". As for driving, I have ridden motorcycles in over 25 countries and spent most of the last decade in either Khon Kaen or Phnom Penh. I can say with a fair bit of confidence that the Khmers are by far the worst drivers I have ever seen, however the Thais are without doubt the most dangerous by a wide margin.

320 killed in road accidents during Songkran

The Nation

30180207-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A total of 3,129 road accidents occurred during the seven "dangerous days" of Songkran, killing 320 people, Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit said yesterday.

Yongyuth, the director of the Road Safety Centre, said the sevenday period from April 11 to 17 ended with 3,320 people being injured in the road accidents.

He said the period saw a lower number of accidents compared with the same period last year but an 18.08 per cent increase in fatalities.

At the end of the sevenday monitoring period for road accidents, six provinces were found to have suffered no fatalities. They were Nakhon Phanom, Trat, Trang, Pattani, Ranong and Satun.

Yongyuth said Chiang Rai had the highest number of road accidents with 125 accidents occurring during the sevenday period. Surat Thani had the highest fatalities with 13 people killed.

The interior minister said drunk driving was the biggest cause of the accidents. He said 39.21 per cent of the accidents were caused by drunk driving while violation of the speed limit was the second major cause at 21.57 per cent.

Wibul Sanguanpong, the directorgeneral of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said he would coordinate with the six provinces that had succeeded in avoiding fatalities and study the measures they had used to put forward as a role model for other provinces.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-19

The Nation

30180187-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-18

Go one mate,encourage shool children to ride a motorbike with at least 3 people sitting on and no helmets,it promises a great future in road safety understanding.

I have a 8 year old going to a school that has classes from P1 to P6, for those who don't know P6 students are 12 year old. While there is a policeman at the school to direct traffic at the start and the end of the schoolday, I see some students come to school riding a motorbike.

Love he picture with this article - woman walking against the flow of traffic in the second lane pushing a large trolly - past a police truck???(right).

Over all ...

Actually overall...

Accidents are down just 2.68% since 2011

Injuries are down just 4.49% since 2011

Fatalities up a massive 18.08% since 2011

Hardly what you would call a success in any sense of the word considering how much press and promise this campaign was given leading up to Songkran.