Major Ciniplex

HansBlinkers

Where at the Airport mall or Central. I heard all central had was movies in Thai,

There's only one Major Cinplex in Chiang Mai.

Mrs Hans wanted me to take her to Titanic 3D (That means it's now shit in 3 Dimensions) hopefully it will be gone tomorrow and that will be a bullet dodged

Edited by HansBlinkers

A few movies are at 100 baht.

3D, Digital, and other first run movies are more

Yesterdays Discount movies were 140 or 150 Baht at the airport.

I mostly stopped going. My 11 year old daughter they wont alllow as a child and though she goes to school they don;t let her do student either and must go full price, so I gave up on them.

Went yesterday hoping to get the halfprice tickets , me being a fully paid up member of the cheap charlies union and they hit us up for full price because it was "a new movie". We saw Battleship which could have been value at half price (except for seeing Rhianna ) and this was in Ekamai in Sukhumvit so perhaps we either got the full falung discount price or they are being selective which movies are half price now.

Where at the Airport mall or Central. I heard all central had was movies in Thai,

ksk and airport central both got english movies. quite a number of thai movies have english subtitles too

It's very rare to find a movie in English language at Vista KSK, and if you do the picture and sound quality is piss poor. They seem to have called time on appealing to foreigners. Airport Plaza Cineplex is the place to go and they still have reduced rates for seniors every day.

Went yesterday hoping to get the halfprice tickets , me being a fully paid up member of the cheap charlies union and they hit us up for full price because it was "a new movie". We saw Battleship which could have been value at half price (except for seeing Rhianna ) and this was in Ekamai in Sukhumvit so perhaps we either got the full falung discount price or they are being selective which movies are half price now.

As JM mentioned above, Wednesday is discount day (Airport Central), but the price will be higher for 3D, digital, new movies, etc. But it's only a few baht, no big deal. I actually avoid Wednesdays as I'd imagine it'd be more crowded due to the discounted price.

Speaking of the movie Battleship, just saw it. The special effects were darn good. But I got to say that was some of the worse dialogue I've listened to in awhile, incredibly dull. And the plot was pretty lame and predictable. The GF, of course, didn't have a clue as she was busy reading the Thai translation. I wouldn't recommend this movie, unless you're totally into special effects.

• Like 1

I cannot believe anyone would want to wait a few days to save 20 or 30 baht at the cinema.

This is why why farang are continually labelled "kee neo" is a 30bt saving so important?

Being over 60, every day is discount day.smile.png

• Like 1

ksk and airport central both got english movies. quite a number of thai movies have english subtitles too

It's very rare to find a movie in English language at Vista KSK, and if you do the picture and sound quality is piss poor. They seem to have called time on appealing to foreigners. Airport Plaza Cineplex is the place to go and they still have reduced rates for seniors every day.

i don't think its very rare. just go to the website. this week they are showing battleship in either english or thai in different theatre. watched john carter in english last month, ghost rider are available as well though i skipped it. watched johnny english reborn in english few months back as well. not many options i agree but i do not think its rare at all.

will not totally agree on the picture and sound quality as well. how is it piss poor? yes you don't get emperor chair or digital etc, but its decent and definitely not piss poor.

I cannot believe anyone would want to wait a few days to save 20 or 30 baht at the cinema.

This is why why farang are continually labelled "kee neo" is a 30bt saving so important?

You have no idea what you are talking about. When I mention "promotion wednesday" to potential dates, they absolutely jump at it. Its not so much the 30 baht, its adopting the local culture... sure 30 baht isnt much, but when you apply that to EVERYTHING you do, it adds up quick.

i don't think its very rare. just go to the website. this week they are showing battleship in either english or thai in different theatre. watched john carter in english last month, ghost rider are available as well though i skipped it. watched johnny english reborn in english few months back as well. not many options i agree but i do not think its rare at all.

will not totally agree on the picture and sound quality as well. how is it piss poor? yes you don't get emperor chair or digital etc, but its decent and definitely not piss poor.

Wow, one movie out of 7....not rare at all....I admit an improvement from 0 out of 7 though.

Ghost Rider and John Carter were terrible movies that the Thai's probably couldn't be bothered to dub and I saw those in decent surroundings!

I maintain my position that compared to Cineplex the picture and sound quality is piss poor, but hey, if it works for you that's whats important.smile.png

its one out of 4 different movies (quite a pathetic amount of choices to be honest) and almost every week they have one or 2 shows in english, very rare indeed.

Unfortunately i would have to agree that the quality is inferior compared to major, but its acceptable. but hey, i find john carter pretty decent as well, its just me.

honestly its more worthwhile to drop by to airport, afterall its a movie and they serve edible popcorns

its not rare. 95% of the movies ive watched in chiang mai have been at that theater.

its not rare. 95% of the movies ive watched in chiang mai have been at that theater.

Some time since you've been to the movies eh?

Check the link on post 16.

people have different definition and expectation. once again, 1 out of 4 different movie are in english in the current schedule, from your link?. previous schedules have 1 or 2 films in english as well, just look back at the older posts in the link, i dont think its rare. i would call it rare if its showing like only one film in english every 6 month. screen quality are decent and everything, it works for me. What doesn't work there imo is the awful popcorn they have there

to avoid confusion and for the benefit of all, just check out the updated links before heading down

There's only one Major Cinplex in Chiang Mai.

Mrs Hans wanted me to take her to Titanic 3D (That means it's now shit in 3 Dimensions) hopefully it will be gone tomorrow and that will be a bullet dodged

I like movies and the wife likes some of them. But I am not even going to mention that one to her.

Funny thing about the 3D we both prefer to have it in 2D.

The glasses are a nusence and it seems to lose some thing in the quality of the picture.

You will not get a cheap price on 3D any day of the week

I was told half price if you have your passport.

You have no idea what you are talking about. When I mention "promotion wednesday" to potential dates, they absolutely jump at it. Its not so much the 30 baht, its adopting the local culture... sure 30 baht isnt much, but when you apply that to EVERYTHING you do, it adds up quick.

Well I don't do that many things that it woulds add up to munch. But if it is going to impress the wife that's different.

its one out of 4 different movies (quite a pathetic amount of choices to be honest) and almost every week they have one or 2 shows in english, very rare indeed.

One out of 4???

Maybe we're talking about different places.

http://vistashowtime.blogspot.com/

I see they have battleship but it looked like it was dubbed in Thai with English sub titles.

That was one of the things that turned me off them years ago. Even the staff didn't know if it was English or not.

Now a Thai movie with English sub titles is a good deal. Worst movie I ever saw was one of those.

Also the funniest movie I ever saw was one of those, Kinda like buying a unopened box at a auction you just never know what your going to get.

Or was that a unopened box of chocolate?

Edited by hellodolly

For the price/vaue, the movies at either Major Cineplex or Vista KSK are a great buy.

We love the Wednesday "deals" at Major Cineplex. Hubby likes the fact that it's kind of like senior day for everyone and he doesn't have to stand in line with me to get his ticket.

Admittedly, Hubby doesn't see very many movies at Vista KSK, but I'm studying Thai so I consider them to be a view into the culture. Actually the ones intended for kids are the best and most innocent. The comedies for adults often are slapstick (which I get) but sometimes they have so much double entrendre and word play in the dialog that I spend my next two hour Thai language lesson debriefing from notes I made during the movie -- only to watch the young, sweet teacher blush. It isn't often you see a Thai person blush!

I was told half price if you have your passport.

You were told wrong.