Is It Possible To Get A Decent Bike For Like 200K?

radiola

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have checked that add on baht sold again and it is in fact 650, i overlooked that detail

but it looks good, what bike is better 250r or 650?

I would guess 650

There are two things to consider here when deciding on the 'best bike' for you.

1. What experience do you have?
  2. Where in Thailand do you live or intend to ride the bike most?

Perhaps the Ninja 250 would better for someone with little experience on geared bikes and much better for someone who's not too familiar with riding such a bike in heavy traffic (although a scooter would be best at first in such riding conditions)

Perhaps the Nina 650 would be better for someone who's mastered all the skills of riding in the city and can account for the bike's extra weight, height and power. The ninja 650 is a joy on long trips and both bikes are equally at home around twisty roads J

Either way the Ninja 250 would be a good bike anywhere other than a highway (not that it isn't capable) and would leave you with enough money to buy a GOOD helmet, gloves, jacket, trousers and some boots.

The Ninja 650 for the same budget would leave you dry and looking for funds to buy essential riding equipment.

I have the 2012 Ninja 650 and around 6 years riding experience (3 here in Thailand) the 650 isn't really to much of a giant and it's surprisingly nimble around town, i'm always in and out of central BKK on mine and leave some overly cautious scooters behind when filtering through the traffic. So both bikes are useable around town but you really do have to be careful with the extra grunt of the Ninja 650 on these highly polished streets in Bangkok.

My first ever bike was a 2005 Kawasaki ZX6R, nearly twice the power of the ninja 650 i have right now! Providing you are confident with you riding abilities, alert and treat the bike how you want it to treat you, then like myself, you should be fine on the bigger of the two.... But do factor in some riding gear when buying either bike (That’s rich, coming from a guy who still needs to buy some boots) lol :D

• Like 1

Yes 250r is cheaper, but I think is very slow, i saw some videos on youtube and 250r seems twice as slow as 650r

I saw on youtube how fast 650r is, enough for me.

I dont have experiece riding big bikes, i have small bike for many years as a kid, than bought a car and ditched the bike because in europe the weather is so cold.

Here you can ride all year and that is why i love to buy one.

I think 250 is very slow and it does not have that sound that I want. I think 600r is a beast and too dangerous for me.

I am also tall guy,

the main problem is that i like the design of 250r more than 650r, the front part of 650r is like a enduro, at least a bit, and that is what I dont like.

And 250r is super cheap, I would buy one for 100k easily.

Is there a place I can test this in pattaya? 250r?

I dont have a license yet, only for car, but that is not enough for 250r i guess.

i just saw 1 yo ninja 600 for 220 k

looks perfect

is it possible or is it a scam? 220 for 1 yo ninja 600?

you can find it on bahtsold

Are you genuine or trolling? The Ninja 250 costs 152,000 Baht and for around 55,000 Baht more you would get a brand new Er-6n.

Sit on these bikes which are made in Thailand to check their ergonomics. And look at some videos on Youtube. There are some nice ones on KLR-250 which might be better for Thailand, if you ever ride on dirt roads again. Add the cost of good gear and your first ig tour and your budget of 200 k is just right for the first year.

Get it wrong with a used bike and you will wish you had bought a new one!

Ride on!

Chris

Yes 250r is cheaper, but I think is very slow, i saw some videos on youtube and 250r seems twice as slow as 650r

I dont have experiece riding big bikes, i have small bike for many years as a kid, than bought a car and ditched the bike because in europe the weather is so cold.

I think 250 is very slow and it does not have that sound that I want. I think 600r is a beast and too dangerous for me.

I am also tall guy,

the main problem is that i like the design of 250r more than 650r, the front part of 650r is like a enduro, at least a bit, and that is what I dont like.

I dont have a license yet, only for car, but that is not enough for 250r i guess.

Where about in Thailand do you live? You would be better renting a 250 for a week or so and see how you feel on it as you might just get to use to it and may wish you bought the 650.

I nearly bought a Ninja 250 but just went for a 600cc instead and I am glad I did as I use it out around SaKaeo but if I stayed in town I would probably had gone for the 250.

I am also tall guy,

What is this about speed? Consider the roads and other drivers (some folks pull into roads without looking or the creep slowly into your lane). Then there are all these animals on the road. Dogs, hen, cows, I even saw a crab once. So you go fast and then there is some crazed pick up driver driving on your side of the street. You see him when you round a corner. Top speed of around 120 km/h is okay and likely faster than your Suzuki motocross bike was. Biking is more about enjoyment and control.

A friend had the Ninja and he was tall, about 1.90 m and he rode it for up to 600+ km a day. Lovely sound, the bike feels like a bigger one.

You could go to Chiang Mai and rent a Ninja and a KLR or D-Tracker. But then, what about your bike license?

• Like 1

^Maybe his wife has a 17 million baht house but he doesnt hahahaha, Sorry even though I could afford a house at that price no way i am that foolish to risk it here. An old fool and his money are soon parted especially in Thailand.

Edited by thunder30101

I am also tall guy,

Where about in Thailand do you live? You would be better renting a 250 for a week or so and see how you feel on it as you might just get to use to it and may wish you bought the 650.

I nearly bought a Ninja 250 but just went for a 600cc instead and I am glad I did as I use it out around SaKaeo but if I stayed in town I would probably had gone for the 250.

I see your in Pattaya, rent one for a day or two, you don't need a license to rent the bikes.

I am also tall guy,

Of course a 600cc bike is normaly the better choice but for someone who doesnt have expirience riding "big bikes" dont think its a good idea here in Thailand. Due Secondhand value remains well get a 250 get used to it and after step up.

Funny I should read this now... I have an orange ninja 650, bought in 2011 (september) gone 8000km, which I will sell when I get back to Thailand on May 20th... Price, just around 215000b... PM me if you are interested...

Start with a 650, they are not that much faster than a 250 (HAHAHA) joking, no, they are just very friendly bikes for a new biker... The 250 will be outgrown quite quickly...

I am only 35 years (I had a house, but I sold it and kept all the money) sometimes the girls will not get anything :-)

Not sure I agree with you there CMX,

I had the CBR 250, bloody good bike, fast, easy, and very comfy- almost a perfect bike... ALMOST...

if the new rider is sensible, and I do hope that he is, it is not a problem to learn on a ER6F/N, due to the easiness to their rides.

The larger bikes has larger tires, better handling, better brakes, better ABS, more power to get out of situations (depending on where he lives, how fast can he really go)?

It is easy to say that it is dangerous to learn to ride on a bigger bike, but is it really? If he feels comfortable with that, then I can see no problems... As long as he takes his time and realize that with great power, comes great responsebility...

I also got the feeling that this guy does not have a high limit to spend on this bike, he should therefore not be as dumb as me and buy one bike to then sell it and buy another one within a year....

That said, the CBR 250 is probably the most practical bike in Thailand (sport bike style), cheap, easy and comfy. speed, well, I had mine to 159 once, and that is fast enough (unless you like speed or travel long distances)...

Each for his own, but if I did not like to faster than 150kmph, I would still be on the CBR today (unless my mech had f...ed it up like he did)...

It's almost easy to overlook staying alive when talking about great bikes and money. I cannot imagine that someone new to driving bigger bikes and new to driving in Thailand should undertake learning to ride in these conditions on anything heavier or faster than a CBR 250 - with ABS.

(I know that if I have a bike that goes x kph that I'm gonna do that as much as I can.)

Saying that someone will grow out of 250 quickly might be true, but spending at least 6 months practicing on a bike in this country is another matter. Skill is essential to driving safely enough to stay alive in order to learn as you go.

And by buying the Honda ABS, second hand <not easy to find, I agree>, not much loss will be suffered while a more measured judgement about a selection from the 650 class is studied.

Live today to ride bigger tomorrow. Sure the lure of a liter bike and speed is great, not to mention bragging rights - but little or none of that goes on in a hospital, alive, after the first learning experience.

Plus, so many people are cremated here that there are not many gravestones to be sure of reading, "Here lies a true macho-man."

i would vote for a 2nd hand er6N or something along those lines ,it sounds bigger than it is (compared to a real 600cc SS bike )

the 650 engine is very friendly and easy to ride ,sure it can go fast enough ,but only if you push it there with a wide open throttle

if you ride it gently ,its very well behaved and the extra speed is great for some situtaions

example like : a gap between two large vehicles on the express way

on the 650 i could blast through that gap into safety because of the acceleration ,on a 250 i would have to drop a gear or two and slowly climb up speed to go through

also feels safer on big roads where the general traffic is doing around 140 ish ,i can cruise in the middle and look for a chance and still have loads of acceleration to pass when the chance comes up

• Like 1

I was thinking about ninja 250r, i like it a lot, if I could grab one under 200k I would probably do it.

I always liked ninjas, but I am a big guy, 187 cm and 90 kios, I hope it will be big enough

does ninja 250 have enough power? Or is it like a bit better than scooter?

I am not that familiar with 250 cc bikes.

I drove motocross suzuki 125, oh boy that was super fast and crazy.

by the sounds of things you should stick to your scooter because unless you know what you're doing on a bigger bike you could be heading for a serious bit of gravel rash or worse, honda wave or similar is plenty enough to start get some experience of thai roads and traffic first, i'm 95kilos and my wave will still do 110kph with my fat arse on it, but in the long run its up to you stay safe.

I don't care how fast a 125 off road bike is if that's all you have ever ridden I would not recommend getting aa 600 in thailand

a 125cc 2 stroke would be pretty quick if he learned to ride on that

All the info the op gives is I quote I drove a 125 motocross bike

This could mean anything until he gives more info regarding experience in riding and what bikes I would not recommend a 600 , not having s dig but the op does seem a little clueless about bikes which leads me to believe he has not alot of experience I'm guessing he has no bike license Here or the country he comes from which probably leafs onto no proper training on bikes

wow, this video i think made me choose 250r, is this really 250r? is is really fast and the sound is really good!!

Cool video, thanks for posting. Really shows how the Ninja 250's make a lovely sound when ridden hard with an aftermarket exhaust, that high revving twin is a lot of fun when it's on the pipe. Nice looking bikes as well, bullet proof and excellent dealer support here in LOS.

• Like 1

wow, this video i think made me choose 250r, is this really 250r? is is really fast and the sound is really good!!

Cool video, thanks for posting. Really shows how the Ninja 250's make a lovely sound when ridden hard with an aftermarket exhaust, that high revving twin is a lot of fun when it's on the pipe. Nice looking bikes as well, bullet proof and excellent dealer support here in LOS.

250 is a nice bike, funny thing is that every time I come up next to one on my 650 Versys the Thai riders try and impress me by speeding away which of course I just let them go but in reality it would be no competition if I opened up the throttle. I'm actually looking at one of these myself as they are very easy to drive and smaller than the Versys so down town Bangkok drives in heavy traffic will be much easier. Long drives to Cha-am or Pattaya I will always use the Versys, much better on my back given the riding position and much more power to keep up with traffic and of course get out of the way of bad drivers.

Edited by commande

shutup

what do you have?

i am only 37 yo

i have a 17 million baht house which provides me with one of the best views in pattaya.You have a long way to go to get where i am boy smile.png

That was a waste of money then,best view 5555.I wouldn't mind being only 37 again.

shutup

what do you have?

i am only 37 yo

i have a 17 million baht house which provides me with one of the best views in pattaya.You have a long way to go to get where i am boy smile.png

Wow are we meant to be impressed ?

No you are not supposed to be impressed and normal circumstance i would not boast about anything to do with my wealth.

But the op did ask.

He didn't ask anything of the sort,put your specs on grandad.