Best Gym In Pattaya? Center Pattaya Preferred

Swiss1960

Have search the Pattaya forum and find many questions about cheapes gyms... not looking for that... looking for the following:

- gym that offers membership on a weekly / daily / 1-month basis (no matter the price)

- gym that is clean and has decent aircon

- gym that has cross trainers (my favorite machine for what I want to achieve)

- gym that offers heart rate control on their machines (i.e. wireless around the chest)

preferred location is central in Pattaya (will stay near Mike shopping center) or at least access with Baht bus if outside center.

Thanks in advance

Calif. WOW.....Good , clean gym.

Thanks a lot for that recommendation also, found their homepage

I take it by "cross trainers" you're referring to elliptical trainers? If you are, they have 3 types of these machines (including Life Fitness) with built in hear rate monitors. You can even go one step (or even 3 in my estimation) better as they have the ultimate cardio machines - Cybex Arc Trainers.

All these machines will be compatible with a polar heart rate chest strap and I'm sure other brands. I prefer using my chest strap so I can see the heart rate without having to put my hands on the sensors.

If you like to do hard sessions, California Wow is your place as they run the aircon in the 20 - 22C region.

About memberships: I don't really know as I got a lifetime deal 3 years ago.

I'll add another vote for Fairtex on North Road.

I noticed tonight they now have a great big sign next to the entrance that shows photos of most of the sports & facilities they offer, but its still worth going inside to see how nice it is and the nice staff too.

Cwow is okay I guess, but just can't get my head around playing music so loud to even consider what they have to offer.

but just can't get my head around playing music so loud to even consider what they have to offer.

The music is not very loud, but if you were focusing on your training it wouldn't even be a consideration - or do what a lot of people do - bring your ipod.

but just can't get my head around playing music so loud to even consider what they have to offer.

The music is not very loud, but if you were focusing on your training it wouldn't even be a consideration - or do what a lot of people do - bring your ipod.

if you were focusing on your training it wouldn't even be a consideration

Please,,,,you must be joking. :(

Please,,,,you must be joking. sad.png

Why would that be a joke? I never joke about gym related subjects.

If music distracts you, you don't have any drive. I don't even notice the music in California Wow even though I may not personally like the music choices. You need to work on your powers of concentration instead of making excuses. Once upon a time I too used to complain about loud music in gyms - so I understand the problem. You can adapt.

Anyway, it's not like there are dozens of gyms to choose from with good cardio equipment, good air-conditioning and your choice of music.

Please,,,,you must be joking. sad.png

Why would that be a joke? I never joke about gym related subjects.

If music distracts you, you don't have any drive. I don't even notice the music in California Wow even though I may not personally like the music choices. You need to work on your powers of concentration instead of making excuses. Once upon a time I too used to complain about loud music in gyms - so I understand the problem. You can adapt.

Anyway, it's not like there are dozens of gyms to choose from with good cardio equipment, good air-conditioning and your choice of music.

It all depends on what one is looking for in a gym. If one in primarily interested in cardio-work and/or resistance work, WOW might fit the bill, as that's basically all they have. They have lots of aero-machines, a couple studios for group work, and a good selection of machine weights (can't remember if the free-weight offerings were extensive or not from my tour). But that's it - there is no sauna (from memory...I could be wrong on this), pool, tennis, squash, spa, grounds to relax. It is also usually crowded (plenty of machines but space is very limited so you are hemmed-in on all sides by other people/machines. It also self-selects for a rather down-market crowd but if that's you or you don't mind such an atmosphere then it's fine. Also, the locker/shower facilities are small.

Fairtex, on the other hand, is a complete fitness facility/resort, with all of the above mentioned facilities, and more, like a rock-climbing wall and badminton. It is also more upscale and is never crowded. There are several membership plans and the fees are surprising low considering what you get. There is also full towel service, which I can't remember if WOW has.

Thank you all guys, very interesting to read for me and I will have a look at both of them.

WOW looks promising as it's close to my hotel, I could just walk their, do my cardio (1 hour a day) and then back to the hotel for shower... Fairtex looks promising with regards to all the other facilities, so I'll drop by there also to check.

It all depends on what one is looking for in a gym. If one in primarily interested in cardio-work and/or resistance work, WOW might fit the bill, as that's basically all they have. They have lots of aero-machines, a couple studios for group work, and a good selection of machine weights (can't remember if the free-weight offerings were extensive or not from my tour). But that's it - there is no sauna (from memory...I could be wrong on this), pool, tennis, squash, spa, grounds to relax. It is also usually crowded (plenty of machines but space is very limited so you are hemmed-in on all sides by other people/machines. It also self-selects for a rather down-market crowd but if that's you or you don't mind such an atmosphere then it's fine. Also, the locker/shower facilities are small.

Fairtex, on the other hand, is a complete fitness facility/resort, with all of the above mentioned facilities, and more, like a rock-climbing wall and badminton. It is also more upscale and is never crowded. There are several membership plans and the fees are surprising low considering what you get. There is also full towel service, which I can't remember if WOW has.

Many things you say about California Wow are spot on....

but upmarket, down market? Give us a break. There's a huge "upmarket" crowd of Thais at California Wow who never break a sweat and sit on machines while operating the latest smartphones... and helped along by their personal trainers so they can pretend they train.

Fairtex may have a good variety of other things to do, but people who really workout don't judge gyms on their rock climbing facilities, swimming pools and saunas. I want to see their dumbbell rack. I walked out after seeing their small weight area. That's all I needed to see.

Each to their own.

Edited by tropo

but upmarket, down market? Give us a break. There's a huge "upmarket" crowd of Thais at California Wow who never break a sweat and sit on machines while operating the latest smartphones... and helped along by their personal trainers so they can pretend they train.

Fairtex may have a good variety of other things to do, but people who really workout don't judge gyms on their rock climbing facilities, swimming pools and saunas. I want to see their dumbbell rack. I walked out after seeing their small weight area. That's all I needed to see.

Each to their own.

I think it's pretty hard to break a sweat no matter how hard one is training if the air-con is set at 22 or 23 as I think someone reported smile.png As to the comparisons btwn WOW and Fairtex, they are really two different products serving different markets. For the OP (and other ST visitors), who just want to continue a regular exercise routine while on vacation in Pattaya WOW may fit the bill, as they do have a decent selection of both aerobic and anaerobic training options available and these type of people are likely to have pools back at their hotels. WOW may also suffice for a local who is centrally located or doesn't have their own transport who again is satisfied with the limited training options and facilities WOW has on offer.

For the person looking for a more complete sports and recreation experience, where they can do all of the above and much more in a relaxed resort like atmosphere then Fairtex is a better option. (Forgot to mention they also have basketball courts as well.)

I too do allot of resistance training so a gym's weight selection is important to me. I can't remember specifically now as it has been some time since I toured WOW but my general recollection is that the weight-training equipment was pretty standard but nothing exceptional and that it was very crowded (machines/benches/lifting areas cramed together) and it would be a challenge to do a complete workout in a safe manner. While the training area at Fairtex may not be as large as WOW, the machines and training areas are properly spaced apart for a relaxing and safe workout. The selection is also very complete, including: 2 squat-racks, 3 bar-bell benches (flat, incline, and decline), the standard selection of machines based rack and pulley systems for shoulder/back work, and around 5 free standing benches (both flat and incline) for seated bar-bell work. As for the dumb-bell selection, it's complete up to 100 lbs, with double-sets up to 25 lbs. I don't know how many sets of weights you require for your work-out but I'm sure this would suffice. There is also a complete circuit of weight-machines for those who use these in their work-out.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Each to their own.

I think it's pretty hard to break a sweat no matter how hard one is training if the air-con is set at 22 or 23 as I think someone reported smile.png As to the comparisons btwn WOW and Fairtex, they are really two different products serving different markets. For the OP (and other ST visitors), who just want to continue a regular exercise routine while on vacation in Pattaya WOW may fit the bill, as they do have a decent selection of both aerobic and anaerobic training options available and these type of people are likely to have pools back at their hotels. WOW may also suffice for a local who is centrally located or doesn't have their own transport who again is satisfied with the limited training options and facilities WOW has on offer.

For the person looking for a more complete sports and recreation experience, where they can do all of the above and much more in a relaxed resort like atmosphere then Fairtex is a better option. (Forgot to mention they also have basketball courts as well.)

I too do allot of resistance training so a gym's weight selection is important to me. I can't remember specifically now as it has been some time since I toured WOW but my general recollection is that the weight-training equipment was pretty standard but nothing exceptional and that it was very crowded (machines/benches/lifting areas cramed together) and it would be a challenge to do a complete workout in a safe manner. While the training area at Fairtex may not be as large as WOW, the machines and training areas are properly spaced apart for a relaxing and safe workout. The selection is also very complete, including: 2 squat-racks, 3 bar-bell benches (flat, incline, and decline), the standard selection of machines based rack and pulley systems for shoulder/back work, and around 5 free standing benches (both flat and incline) for seated bar-bell work. As for the dumb-bell selection, it's complete up to 100 lbs, with double-sets up to 25 lbs. I don't know how many sets of weights you require for your work-out but I'm sure this would suffice. There is also a complete circuit of weight-machines for those who use these in their work-out.

Thanks for ALL of your comments. It gives me a pretty good overview.

Personally, i only do cardio for my weight, but i want to do it daily for 1 hour with the resistance that keeps my heart rate at around 130-140. That is my main goal (helps digest the beers from the night before also... tongue.png ) In parallel, I will do runs / fast walks on the beach (Jomtien) every morning for 1-2 hours which also helps me get some tan on my (currently) white skin wink.png

Weight is not for me, I really hate those machings.

so thanks again, I have the information I was looking for, really appreciate all your comments.

I think it's pretty hard to break a sweat no matter how hard one is training if the air-con is set at 22 or 23 as I think someone reported smile.png

Not only do I break a sweat in California Wow, my clothes, sweatband and training towel are drenched after a workout. Isn't that amazing? - sometimes I go downstairs to change my shirt halfway through the workout. This is what happens when you train fast and with high intensity - you sweat. Trying burning 1200 calories in a hour and see if you can sweat in a room cooled to 22C.

22 or 23C is a warm summer's day in many foreign lands.

It's hotter in California Wow than you think because there are no fans. They could save on their power bill if they had fans.

Edited by tropo

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Tony's. Bearing in mind that there are 4 or 5 locations to choose from (at various prices) and a life time membership (at all gyms) for 29,000 baht (I think). I must admit I'm biased as I took out lifetime membership 5 years ago when it was on offer for 15,000.

LIke any fitness center, try a few out before buying a membership. CA Wow is do-able during the day but in the evening it becomes crowded (poor lay out of equipment); Fairtex is not as "flashy" as CA Wow but is decent. Some of the 5 star hotels have great gyms but are expensive. Some of my friends like Tony's gym but I find it hot and far for me.