What Do You Do To Beat The Heat?

WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing golf!!? With who, Lucifer? wink.png

As for me, I stopped eating carbs except for some 'cool' fruit like watermelon, use a lot of Prickly Heat powder, and switched to drinking Mojitos.

Also good: those cold towelettes you usually get in bars in Bangkok and Pattaya. Can buy them at Makro and freeze, or just freeze any moist cloth. Heaven.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Play my 18 holes of golf first thing in the morning finishing around 8.45am before it gets too hot.

Back home jump in the pool for a few lengths,then a nice cold shower.

Mess around on the net with a bit of business with a steady ceiling fan keeping the air moving and coolish.

Around midday,lunchtime,slap a cold towel around my neck and start to sweat profusely and use the towel to mop the sweat.

Crash out on the bed in the hong non watching television,aircon on,ceiling fan on and still sweating profusely till the room cools.

However,whatever the heat I much prefer it to being cold!

• Like 1

Shower. Dry feet, and lower legs only. Put towel on floor in front of fan. Stand in front of fan buck naked. Rotate body. Bend over. Sorry, video not available.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Go into computer room with air-con set on 27.

Sleep under fan in non-air-con master bedroom.

best, ~o:37;

Was wondering if anyone would make a post on the heat Winnie, cuz i was beginning to wonder if I was in the minority finding it a real scorcher of late!

Yesterday was my worse day as i decided to go off for a bit of a ride. Took a camelbak at least, so was hydrated ongoing, but still, got myself a dose of sun stroke.

If my core body temperature is really hot, ill run a cool bath (sometimes leave it just sitting there for a bit too, so i can take a dip when necessary)and sit in it to bring down the heat. Either that or cool showers. Ive resorted to air con lately (i generally dislike aircon because it dries the air), i put a damp towel in front to counteract the dry air (poor mans humidifier). Last night i was able to cope with fans, but i had 3 large ones on me! That actually felt really nice. Fooled my body into thinking there was a proper breeze about. If i have only fans running, i make sure i create as much free flowing air as possible..opening all doors and windows. Most importantly i keep hydrated and cut down or out any drinks that dehydrate. Also have glucose powder in case i ever need it. Oh and i have an electric oil burner that i burn peppermint oil on,i find it helps perk me up, makes the air seem cooler,and makes me breath easier.

Thats all ive got really. Good luck keeping cool!

from today(19th) and all next week the forecast is for low +40's!....we leave for the 'great white north' on the 25th...fresh air finally!

Going to Mae Sai waterfall,level 5,with a low folding chair and lots of hydration snacks , great!!....

1) Try to get up early (sometimes a struggle) to maximize the awake part of the day that is not stupid blistering hot.

2) Discovered that my habit of drinking 2 cups of rocket fuel strength Hillkoff Italian Espresso roast in the morning has me absolutely dripping by 10 AM- had to cut back to 1 cup, with lashings of milk to cool it down.

3) Switched from the pathetic 500 ml sized water bottle, to a 1.5 L....filled at night and frozen in the fridge. Drink the whole blinking thing by 1 PM, and am gasping for more.

4) Beer Leo cases are 515 B at my local mom and pop......whistling.gif

Get up at 6 A.M.find a place open for breakfast.After take a walk til the mall opens.Walk the mall for an hour or so.Then back to your air conditioning place til 6 to 8 P.M,then go out, can tolerable it at that hour.

On a more serious note.

During this hot weather, drink plenty of water.

Leave out the alcohol because this actually dehydrates the body more, can lower the body sugar to dangerous levels and cause coma and heart attacks.

When out in the open, wear a tee-shirt, light weight jacket and long pants, otherwise the sun may cause serious injury to the skin and even skin cancer.

Do what you need to do in the mornings before it gets too hot, have a good breakfast and eat lunch. I find this time of year is a good time to spend afternoon's in the gym and the shady area of the pool. The air con in the gym is good and you also get the required exercise. Keep sipping water throughout, rather than gulping down lots at once. Go home, watch some TV, work on the computer. do other bits and pieces. Then pop out or not, whatever your desire.

It's been very hot indeed, but it can be mastered without air con. Lots of people are home for the afternoon, when the sun is belting down at it's hottest and houses can feel like ovens during noon and 5pm.

Do what you need to do in the mornings before it gets too hot, have a good breakfast and eat lunch. I find this time of year is a good time to spend afternoon's in the gym and the shady area of the pool. The air con in the gym is good and you also get the required exercise. Keep sipping water throughout, rather than gulping down lots at once. Go home, watch some TV, work on the computer. do other bits and pieces. Then pop out or not, whatever your desire.

It's been very hot indeed, but it can be mastered without air con. Lots of people are home for the afternoon, when the sun is belting down at it's hottest and houses can feel like ovens during noon and 5pm.

+1 An excellent time to hit the gym and the pool afterwards.

Playing golf!!? With who, Lucifer? wink.png

As for me, I stopped eating carbs except for some 'cool' fruit like watermelon, use a lot of Prickly Heat powder, and switched to drinking Mojitos.

Also good: those cold towelettes you usually get in bars in Bangkok and Pattaya. Can buy them at Makro and freeze, or just freeze any moist cloth. Heaven.

Not completely off topic, sort of, but not completely. A cool Mojito on a hot day strikes me as a wonderful way to waste away the hot season. A dark, dank bar with a big overhead fan, Sydney Greenstreet sweating up a storm over in the corner...and a high-powered aricon pumping it out. smile.png Anyway, I have had a couple of Mojitos in a couple of places in CM and they were not even close to what they should be. Maybe I'm spoiled but I had a few in Hemingway's fav hangout in Havana - Bodeguita del medio - and loved them there. The mint is crushed with a small pestle, not minced like they tend to do here, cane sugar etc. Anyone have a location in CM where they make them properly?

Hide in the aircon until around 6pm... not exactly fun, but it's what I've been doing lately.

You're right though... burnin up today!

How did you handle Iraq?

I usually go for a walk around midday, don't get burnt when sun is directly overhead, otherwise we head to KSK or Airport Plaza for kinkao and browse the stores.... that can get exxy as TW cannot resist the SALE signs. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

Hide in the aircon until around 6pm... not exactly fun, but it's what I've been doing lately.

How did you handle Iraq?

I usually go for a walk around midday, don't get burnt when sun is directly overhead, otherwise we head to KSK or Airport Plaza for kinkao and browse the stores.... that can get exxy as TW cannot resist the SALE signs. rolleyes.gifthumbsup.gif

Do you go to the malls daily, if so doesn't it bore you silly?

I know that a lot of Thai's do, but once in a while is enough for me.

However, anything that works for you is OK.

Fan only in my apartment. Routine's like this: shower, fan, shower, fan, shower, fan........Repeat until temperature in apartment is bearable (around midnight). Sleep.

Rinse and repeat.

Thank goodness I'm pretty well acclimatized. It's really not all that bad. Use to live in Korat -- now that was hot! wink.png

Edited by connda

Some people spend their discretionary income on booze, shopping, etc. I spend mine on my air-con! Luckily I work from home so I just stay in my office and keep the a/c around 24 or 25 (when I first arrived to Thailand, it was on 18). And when bed time comes, I turn off office a/c and turn on bedroom a/c. I CANNOT sleep when I'm hot, it's the worse. And when the electric bill arrives and it's 3,000 baht, I think "hmmm...a 100 baht/day to stay cool 24 hours/day seems worth it".

On another note, does anyone know of a public swimming pool near the Meechock/Rimping Plaza (Pee Mook 1)? I'd like to watch my gf (and maybe others) play around in a pool.

• Like 2

Some people spend their discretionary income on booze, shopping, etc. I spend mine on my air-con! Luckily I work from home so I just stay in my office and keep the a/c around 24 or 25 (when I first arrived to Thailand, it was on 18). And when bed time comes, I turn off office a/c and turn on bedroom a/c. I CANNOT sleep when I'm hot, it's the worse. And when the electric bill arrives and it's 3,000 baht, I think "hmmm...a 100 baht/day to stay cool 24 hours/day seems worth it".

On another note, does anyone know of a public swimming pool near the Meechock/Rimping Plaza (Pee Mook 1)? I'd like to watch my gf (and maybe others) play around in a pool.

there is a swimming pool inside pimuk 1 50 baht

rick

That's 30 b now I believe.

Also, you could head north on the maejo rd from Romping, turn left at the lights and there's a pool there, or turn right at the same lights (the 121 intersection), and go to Laguna Homes pool. That's 100 b I think, but it includes gym and steam room use too.

there is a swimming pool inside pimuk 1 50 baht

rick

How did you handle Iraq?

In North Yemen, I used to stop sunbathing when the temperature passed 110*C, which was usually about 10.00 am during the hot season, but that was dry-heat, not the murky humidity we're currently experiencing here.

Yeah, M-E heat is more oven-like. This is more like a slow boil.

Anyway, I'm a financial analyst, so working in Iraq didn't involve a whole lot of outdoors in the heat time. You had to occasionally walk here or there, but overall it wasn't so bad.

My office had aircon and so did my room. That's how I survived 3 Iraq summers.

Elec. bill arrived this hour - 2K - more than twice the worst bill I've received for 2 years. And why?

Because I decided: "Dam the electric bill, full air-con ahead!" (Fans make my eyes water, but mixing the air also helps, so long as it's not direct at my face. (n)

Walk before 6 now, as I have always loved the morn and sunup anyhow, plus after dark. Get outdoor chores done before the sun hits. Ride motorbike, but hit the shower upon returning; clothes rate doubled. Use car, now from noon onwards, with aircon reducing mileage, don't care.

For me, beer is never a help in considerable heat, though I thought otherwise some years ago. Perhaps as suggested this helps balance the budget. I do with water and juices.

I am accustomed to heat when I worked in the American Southwest. This is different and though I'm acclimatizing in spite of myself, I still don't like the humidity.

Above all, I never do anything that might be regarded as work or even a workout except in air conditioned safety. Such as the bedroom.

Where, incidentally, I have an elliptical trainer.smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by CMX