Influential Guitarist Bert Weedon Dies

Lite Beer

Influential guitarist Bert Weedon dies

_59758696_59758693.jpg

Influential guitarist Bert Weedon, best known for creating the popular tutorial manual Play In A Day, has died aged 91.

Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney and Brian May are among the stars who learned to play guitar from his books.

Born in east London, in May 1920, he had been ill for some time and died at his home in Beaconsfield, his friend John Adrian said.

He was awarded an OBE in the 2001 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to music.

Singer and guitarist Joe Brown described Weedon as "a lovely man and a great inspiration to many British guitar players, including myself, in the early days".

He added: "My heart goes out to his lovely wife Maggie and the family."

"He became the daddy of British guitarists and he inspired generations of schoolboys to play. His book enabled them to do just that, which was fantastic."Speaking to BBC News, radio presenter Mike Read said: "He was the guy who showed you how to play a guitar. Everybody bought his Play In A Day book, it was a big deal.

Full Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-17781762

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-04-20

He was the first guitarist I can remember seeing as a child, he was on a weekly kids TV show in the UK. Like many of the famous guitarists in the article, I too took my first steps in guitar by using Bert's "Play-in-a day" book. He always seemed to be a really nice guy, as well as a very talented guitarist. R.I.P