Hilux Vs D-Max

gaz2011

Hi folks

I am after a new pick up. My choices have narrowed to the following two :-

Toyota Hilux Smart Cab 2.5 J 4x2 and Isuzu D-Max Smart Cab 2.5 S 4x2.

Good or bad points for either vehicle would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We all like our own ''feel'' to stuff but from my own engineering standpoint l would always go for a Toyota. My pal bought a D-Max near same time l bought a Vigo, both near 5 years old now with similar mileage. My Toyota still drives like new, his ride, stuff rattling inside the doors, tail gate latch mechanism fell apart and there is a whine/vibration somewhere in the drive train. If he drives through water the old fashioned V-belt slips and screeches, perhaps they have caught up now with a modern Poly-V belt. BUT, l hasten to add that there probably thousands who have an Isuzu with no probs.

If you can, buy an auto, really transforms a truck into a driving pleasure. smile.png

We all like our own ''feel'' to stuff but from my own engineering standpoint l would always go for a Toyota. My pal bought a D-Max near same time l bought a Vigo, both near 5 years old now with similar mileage. My Toyota still drives like new, his ride, stuff rattling inside the doors, tail gate latch mechanism fell apart and there is a whine/vibration somewhere in the drive train. If he drives through water the old fashioned V-belt slips and screeches, perhaps they have caught up now with a modern Poly-V belt. BUT, l hasten to add that there probably thousands who have an Isuzu with no probs.

If you can, buy an auto, really transforms a truck into a driving pleasure. smile.png

That is because the gearbox on a Toyota is crap . Especially the 3.0 engine comes with the worst gearbox of the last 40 years or so . Not every brand has this problem but i do not know about the Isuzu . Test driving is the only way to know . Isuzu and Toyota are highly in favour of Thais .

That is because the gearbox on a Toyota is crap . Especially the 3.0 engine comes with the worst gearbox of the last 40 years or so . Not every brand has this problem but i do not know about the Isuzu . Test driving is the only way to know . Isuzu and Toyota are highly in favour of Thais .

Perhaps l wasn't clear, the drive train prob was the Isuzu. smile.png

ALL trucks in LOS have crap manual trans, l have driven them all and would never own a manual trans truck. bah.gif

• 2 weeks later...

In Pattaya the bahtbuses are mostly Isuzus and Toyotas. I would be surprised if so many professional drivers would buy vehicles that dont last well for this sort of job.

I'm thinking of getting a pick-up myself and am torn between the Isuzu 2D 2WD with extra half cab, 2.5ltr diesel engine and automatic transmission and the Nissan of similar spec. They are more or less the same price at just under 800K for the top model with satnav, ABS, airbags etc. etc. (these are the top models of the mid-range, not the top range).

I have ruled out Toyota because it seems they only do A/T in a few models with larger petrol engines.

In Pattaya the bahtbuses are mostly Isuzus and Toyotas. I would be surprised if so many professional drivers would buy vehicles that dont last well for this sort of job.

I'm thinking of getting a pick-up myself and am torn between the Isuzu 2D 2WD with extra half cab, 2.5ltr diesel engine and automatic transmission and the Nissan of similar spec. They are more or less the same price at just under 800K for the top model with satnav, ABS, airbags etc. etc. (these are the top models of the mid-range, not the top range).

I have ruled out Toyota because it seems they only do A/T in a few models with larger petrol engines.

Toyota 4x4 and Prerunner diesels can have auto. smile.png

We have a mix of 4d 2wd manual petrol Hilux and 4d 2wd manual diesel Isuzu pick ups as work fleet vehicles.

The general concensus among the guys is the hilux is more comfortable and better car to drive.

So far the hilux's haven't required anything more than regular servicing. The Isuzu's have had problems with fan belts breaking around the 10k mark plus numerous airconditioning switch and fan related problems under the dash.

Toyota 4x4 and Prerunner diesels can have auto.

Indeed, but only in the 4 door version (I dont need that) and with the larger 3ltr engine (I dont need that either).

What I want is a 2WD 2.5ltr diesel engine with 2 doors and A/T, and Toyota just dont seem to do this. Everyone else does seem to do it though.

I'm really only thinking about a pickup because you seem to get more car for your money, you get a better view, flooding and pot-holes are less of a problem and I think you have a slightly better chance of walking away from an accident in one.

Edited by Darrel

My Toyota Hilux is a 4X4 D4D, with AT, so you got wrong info on engines as the prerunner can be had with the 3.0 at deisel as well!

Maybe I'm not being clear enough.

I dont want a 3ltr engine, I dont want 4WD and I dont want 4 doors.

I want a 2.5ltr diesel engine, 2 doors, 2WD and A/T. Toyoto do not appear to do this but everyone else does.

Edited by Darrel

Maybe I'm not being clear enough.

I dont want a 3ltr engine, I dont want 4WD and I dont want 4 doors.

I want a 2.5ltr diesel engine, 2 doors, 2WD and A/T. Toyoto do not appear to do this but everyone else does.

Could be wrong but the Toyota Smart Cab can be auto.

I have two price lists from two different Toyota dealers. Outside the Fortuner range both show only M/T for all 2-door models. 3 4-door models come with A/T but only with the 3ltr engine. They aren't cheap either.

• 4 weeks later...

All of the Jap Pickups are pretty reliable while they are young but the big costs if you keep them long enough are rust repairs and engine rebuilds, especially with modern Common Rail Diesels.

If the truck is going to be sold before it gets to old, resale value is more of an issue. Isuzu and the Toyota are propular and easier to sell in LOS but their dealers know it and will not discount, off setting the resale benefit a bit. Isuzu, Chev and Ford have recently introduced new models. Toyota and Mitsu will probably do the same next year probably knocking the resale of the current models a bit.

• 2 months later...

I have two price lists from two different Toyota dealers. Outside the Fortuner range both show only M/T for all 2-door models. 3 4-door models come with A/T but only with the 3ltr engine. They aren't cheap either.

Hi Darel,

Just wanted to know if you finalize your choice on a pick up model>

I am myself looking and have the same spec as you do......

I tend to go for a Triton Smart Cab.....

Can you share your experience?