Wifi Internet Access Stops

Digitalbanana

Anyone know what could be happening here?

My laptop is connected to internet through wifi router in home without problems.

A family member starts their own computer and accesses internet through same router. If they are using high bandwidth such as streaming YouTube then my internet access is lost and I cannot reconnect.

Only solution is to 1/ wait for them to log off or 2/ reset router?? If I try the Windows networking troubleshooter it always suggests option 2 as well. Trouble is this happens in other places with other routers.

An unusual thing is I can get internet access if I SAFE boot Windows with networking, otherwise I have to choose one of two solutions above?

Any ideas appreciated...

Thanks guys - your idea of manual ip address was explained to me before when same issue happened on another router at work & it worked - so that is one way.

I think the problem was with the laptop wifi card (Intel N6300) - it did not match the manufacturers spec but was a workaround replacement for another issue since fixed by manufacturer (HP). I put in the correct card again with a manufacturers software update and issue stopped.

Edited by Digitalbanana