Thai Govt's Emergency Treatment Plan Runs Into Payment, Bed-Shortage Problems

webfact

PUBLIC HEALTH

Emergency treatment plan runs into payment, bed-shortage problems

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Many patients have not been able to access the government's new plan to provide unlimited emergency medical treatment since the scheme was launched on April 1.

Some complain they were asked to pay a deposit for the treatment before being discharged from hospital.

Moreover, patient-beds were not available in many hospitals, according to National Health Security Office (NHSO)

NHSO has recently concluded a study of the government's plan to provide unlimited emergency medical treatment since the plan started 21 days ago.

It found the plan has faced many problems in providing emergency treatment for patients.

Since the plan opened on April 1, 708 people had received emergency treatment at the hospitals. Of this number, 210 were suffering from road accident injuries, followed by heart disease with 113 cases, neurological-symptoms with 86 cases, and respiratory disease with 68 cases.

NHSO reported that 497 patients were taken to hospital by their relatives, 34 were carried by rescue vehicles, and 51 cases went in ambulances.

"Most people had called to the hotline and worried about payment for the emergency treatment. They worried they would be charged for the services," NHSO's deputy secretary general Dr Weerawat Pankrut said.

NHSO has reported that hospitals asked some patients to pay for their emergency treatment. Some could not transfer to receive medication at other hospitals as there were not enough patient beds.

Private Hospital Association's president Dr Chalerm Hanpanich said the association had made a recommendation to the Public Health Ministry's permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit to improve emergency health care services.

The association wanted the ministry to ask patients to express their willingness to stay at private |hospitals or move to their original hospitals after they had begun to recover.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-23

OzMick, you must be referring to how Brick Obama's political decisions are planned out as president of the U.S. Certainly in Thailand more thought would be given to the planning and implementation of "vote for me" campaign promises made by politicians here. thumbsup.gif

Another PTP policy conceived at a piss-up, planned on the back of an envelope, and launched on an appropriate date.

I assume you mean auspicious date, not appropriate date. So many things in Thailand revolve around superstition.

OzMick, you must be referring to how Brick Obama's political decisions are planned out as president of the U.S. Certainly in Thailand more thought would be given to the planning and implementation of "vote for me" campaign promises made by politicians here. thumbsup.gif

You must be kidding. The words 'thought' and 'Thailand' barely belong in the same sentence. The current government's incompetence is legendary. There's no comparison between Yingluck Shinawatra and "Brick" (you've just marked yourself as fairly single-minded, politically) Obama. Thanks for the nonsensical post though.

I am not sure what the classification of emergency is, but if you mean treatment to prevent you from dieing, then you still have to pay up front before you get treated. Free medical treatment does not exist is reality. Why do I know this? I know someone who needed a blood clot on the brain removing and it was the same old story: pay in advance before you get the op. That would be the neurological classification?

Edited by MaiChai

Another PTP policy conceived at a piss-up, planned on the back of an envelope, and launched on an appropriate date.

I assume you mean auspicious date, not appropriate date. So many things in Thailand revolve around superstition.

I try to be careful with my choice of words. April 1st was definitely appropriate, and somehow I doubt it's ever auspicious.

I like that..."scheme was launched on April 1"....cheesy.gif Should read SCAM or SHAM. As I see the numbers of all those brought to the hospitals in a variety of ways for any number of reasons, it doesn't give any stats regarding how many of those never made it out of those hospitals due to the systems outrageous incompetence and disregard for human life. THAT, will never improve or change...Never.

Edited by TeddyFlyfisherDavis

I am often critical of Thai national health care, but in this matter, I believe that the private hospitals and other vested interests are doing everything possible to sabotage any move to open up access for health care. This isn't a PTP issue. The previous Democrat administration had similar problems. Health care services in Thailand are a profiteers wet dream: Little regulatory oversight, inadequate protection of patients rights against price gouging, cover ups of malpractice and obsene corruption when it comes to the purchases of goods and services.

The public hospitals are at full capacity and are understaffed. IMO the culprit is the private hospital system that does not want any competition or move towards basic standards. And it is interesting to note the presence of US health care service consultants and providers in Thailand.

Well I am sure there are Finance Problems, and Bed Shortages, but the primary cause could possibility be from a shortage of Brain Cells

from the people who designed the project to begin with; in theory.coffee1.gifermm.gif

Might have been better to implement its after Songkran rather than before.

Edited by waza