Why Do They Take Up One Page On My Passport?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No kidding, there are plenty of other countries who use a whole page stamp, not just the "abnormal" countries of Laos, Cambodia, & Myanmar. I don't know where you are from, but for me, it wasn't too expensive to get more pages added to my passport.

I do know that Malaysia uses small stamps.

One post using oversize fonts removed. Please see:

HERE

Explains why I got a "no permission" messagewhen I tried to reply to it.

Deleted post asked why foreigners have to leave the country to get a new visa, why not do it in country and then Thailand keeps the money.

1) A visa by is a permission for a future visit to a foreign country. By definition you cannot apply for when when you are already in that country. I've always felt we should feel lucky we don't have to travel back to our home countries to get additional visa's. The way things are going I think that is in our future, at least with the tourist visas.

2) Thailand does keep the money....it is their embassy. Sovereign Thai soil, with Thai citizens accepting your cash.

3) As sort of a side point to your question, you actually can send your passport out with a private agent while you stay in country. It is illegal, expensive, and dangerous and I don't recommend it but it is still common. A lot of immigration officers run a business on the side where they provide this service. Sometimes they get caught and if they get caught with your passport you will have some explaining to do.

4) The current system of visa runs, various transport, agents and all the business associated with making us continually have to travel and pay to keep our immigration status' legal employs a lot of Thai's and generates a lot of income for the Thai government.

And to the OP, when you go to Cambodia get the E-Visa. Pay online with CC, No full page stamp, no getting overcharged 1000B or even as I heard recently 1500B. (Someone has to pay for the nice row of Lexus's parked outside the land boarder immigration offices)

But I agree with the OP about taking up so much room. I had a brand new passport in 08 and already had to get pages added. The re-entry permit is another full-page-waster.

Edited by NomadJoe

No offense to anyone about the 1 page stamp. Those are the only three places I've gone to for my Visa runs. Thank you for the info on printing a E visa for Cambodia. Anyone have a link? The last time I went to Cambodia there was a mysterious 300 baht fee on the Cambodian side. Of course I didn't say anything as I didn't want to go missing or anything silly like that. I just got a brand new passport and have tons of pages in it. I don't want to go back to the embassy again and again for a new passport .

I've never been to Malaysia. Can you drive there from Thailand? Is it a regular visa run?

While on the topic. I have a one year multiple re-entry visa. I received it from the Thai Embassy in Australia. Is there anywhere closer I can apply for a one year business visa? It's expensive to go to Australia and LONG. Plus the hotels are very expensive. I am an American citizen.

Thanks

While on the topic. I have a one year multiple re-entry visa. I received it from the Thai Embassy in Australia. Is there anywhere closer I can apply for a one year business visa? It's expensive to go to Australia and LONG. Plus the hotels are very expensive. I am an American citizen.

Thanks

If you are eligible why not apply for an extension within Thailand?

If not eligible then most consulates will issue one with the correct paperwork including a WP receipt.

Thanks

If you are eligible why not apply for an extension within Thailand?

If not eligible then most consulates will issue one with the correct paperwork including a WP receipt.

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to Thailand so I don't know how that works. What are the eligibility requirements for an extension? Where would I apply? How far in advanced of my visa expiring should I apply?

Thank you

No offense to anyone about the 1 page stamp. Those are the only three places I've gone to for my Visa runs. Thank you for the info on printing a E visa for Cambodia. Anyone have a link? The last time I went to Cambodia there was a mysterious 300 baht fee on the Cambodian side. Of course I didn't say anything as I didn't want to go missing or anything silly like that. I just got a brand new passport and have tons of pages in it. I don't want to go back to the embassy again and again for a new passport .

I've never been to Malaysia. Can you drive there from Thailand? Is it a regular visa run?

http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/

• Like 1

Deleted post asked why foreigners have to leave the country to get a new visa, why not do it in country and then Thailand keeps the money.

I don't live in Thailand yet, but will be doing so when the wife and I retire and will obtain a visa as the spouse of a Thai citizen. As I understand it (and I'm sure that I'll be corrected if wrong) I will have to report to the MFA every 90 days and renew it at the MFA annually; a PIA, but that's got to be better than leaving the country every 30 days!

I can only surmise that those who live in Thailand as visa runners do so because they are not eligible for any sort of long term visa.

It's simple; if one chooses to live in a foreign country then one has to abide by that country's immigration requirements; if one doesn't like them, go somewhere else.

As this topic has veered into a discussion of Thai visa requirements, I'm moving it to Thai visas.

As for stamps do not believe Burma is large and Cambodia has an e-visa option which is smaller. Malaysia or Singapore do not require visas of most nationalities so only entry stamps required. And yes you can drive to Malaysia, or take bus or train.

As for extensions of stay marriage/retirement/work and others are available for immigration offices located in almost every province of the country to make it easy and not have to make trips outside the country. But there are financial requirements for some.

I don't live in Thailand yet, but will be doing so when the wife and I retire and will obtain a visa as the spouse of a Thai citizen. As I understand it (and I'm sure that I'll be corrected if wrong) I will have to report to the MFA every 90 days and renew it at the MFA annually; a PIA, but that's got to be better than leaving the country every 30 days!

I can only surmise that those who live in Thailand as visa runners do so because they are not eligible for any sort of long term visa.

It's simple; if one chooses to live in a foreign country then one has to abide by that country's immigration requirements; if one doesn't like them, go somewhere else.

As this topic has veered into a discussion of Thai visa requirements, I'm moving it to Thai visas.

You donot renew an extension of stay at the MFA you will need to go to Immigration in the area where you live. The MFA controls the Embassies where you can apply for your first visa to enter Thailand after the initial visa you will get an extension of stay either for marriage to a Thai or retirement. Do a bit more reading on this site about the rules and regs. Forgot, 90 day reports are also done at Thai Immigration not MFA Edited by moe666

As for stamps do not believe Burma is large and Cambodia has an e-visa option which is smaller. Malaysia or Singapore do not require visas of most nationalities so only entry stamps required. And yes you can drive to Malaysia, or take bus or train.

As for extensions of stay marriage/retirement/work and others are available for immigration offices located in almost every province of the country to make it easy and not have to make trips outside the country. But there are financial requirements for some.

If you go to the Mae Sot,Myanmar border check,they have a very small stamp.I calculate I will get 8 stamps on one side of one page.When you cross over the bridge to the Myanmar side,you have to pay 500 baht for the privilege but they are extremely helpful and quick.

I have no idea. I've always flown, and I don't do visa runs. I just know that they use a small stamp! smile.png

Yes, you can drive to Malaysia, and all he way to Singapore too.

Malaysia or Singapore do not require visas of most nationalities so only entry stamps required.

Though as you say, neither Malaysia or Singapore require visas for many nationalities, when they do issue one, or if you get a work visa in either country, they are full page stickers.

TH

My visa stamps for Burma are small ones done at the border crossing with no prior visa to enter. So I am unsure why the OP gets a full page one.

As said earlier, get an E-visa for Cambodia. Take them with you (2 copies) and no need to stick or staple them into your passport as you get stamped on entry and exit back to Thailand. Easier, cheaper and more convenient than paying the order guards extra and them going off to get you your full page visa.

Edited by pattayadingo

About Cambodia Evisa , i used it a few times , after you arrive , you present the printed E-visa , then immigration put stamp inside withe reference number E-visa and permitted date to stay , when leaving same way an exit stamp , so you could save 3 to 6 in / out way a 3 to 6 pages in theory ( i think)

the e-visa print you can put, or trow of after.

Edited by david555

Thanks for the info .

Where is the nearest border crossing into Cambodia from Mueang Chon Buri.?

I'm using a rental car so I'll just drive to it.

Go to Poipet. (Aranyaprathet). They take E-visas.

Note, not ALL Cambodian border crossings take E-visas. Check the list.

• Like 1

wai.gif Large easily visable visas like that are really a hangover from a century or two back.

In the days before travel became common like today...and travel was by boat or train...no planes then...a visa was a government issued document that was litterly placed into a traveler's passport...a passport then being a small book where visas were carried (hence the old term "passbook")....visas being an actual letter issued and usually signed by a government official...that were to be taken out of your passport book, and handed to a border immigration officer on arrival at the port or train station when you arrived there.

Because these "visa" letters were full-size. the passport/passbook in the 1800's and early 1900's was a large covering you actually placed visa letters into to carry.

"Exotic" locations...like Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, India, etc. ...began to place large and colorful symbols on these visa letters as symbols of a famous landmark in their country. A temple, Wat, or animals like Elephants or Lions were common favorites for these symbols.

Being large and done in bright colors made that "visa" letter look more impressive. If you can find old Passports in a museum, see examples frpm 1800 to about 1900 to see this. The Passports are often the size of a portfolio designed to carry visa letters.

Over the last two centuries, and particularly with "tourisim" becoming common....passports have been reduced in size to a thing you can carry in a shirt pocket.

Large "visas" taking up a whole page in your passport are a hangover from those days of full-size passport portfolio books designed to carry visa letters from two centuties ago.

At the time that such tourisim was rare...having a colorful visa letter in your passport (poertfolio) was impressive and proof you had the money that an expensive trip to a foriegn exotic country required. So, back then, an mpressive and colorful visa from an exotic location was highly prized.

biggrin.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

wai.gif Large easily visable visas like that are really a hangover from a century or two back.

In the days before travel became common like today...and travel was by boat or train...no planes then...a visa was a government issued document that was litterly placed into a traveler's passport...a passport then being a small book where visas were carried (hence the old term "passbook")....visas being an actual letter issued and usually signed by a government official...that were to be taken out of your passport book, and handed to a border immigration officer on arrival at the port or train station when you arrived there.

Because these "visa" letters were full-size. the passport/passbook in the 1800's and early 1900's was a large covering you actually placed visa letters into to carry.

"Exotic" locations...like Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, India, etc. ...began to place large and colorful symbols on these visa letters as symbols of a famous landmark in their country. A temple, Wat, or animals like Elephants or Lions were common favorites for these symbols.

Being large and done in bright colors made that "visa" letter look more impressive. If you can find old Passports in a museum, see examples frpm 1800 to about 1900 to see this. The Passports are often the size of a portfolio designed to carry visa letters.

Over the last two centuries, and particularly with "tourisim" becoming common....passports have been reduced in size to a thing you can carry in a shirt pocket.

Large "visas" taking up a whole page in your passport are a hangover from those days of full-size passport portfolio books designed to carry visa letters from two centuties ago.

At the time that such tourisim was rare...having a colorful visa letter in your passport (poertfolio) was impressive and proof you had the money that an expensive trip to a foriegn exotic country required. So, back then, an mpressive and colorful visa from an exotic location was highly prized.

biggrin.png

Think of it whatever you want, countries like USA, Canada, China Japan & Australia still issue them. That doesn't sound like a hangover from the past.