I Won’t Quit, Pm Tells Taxi Drivers

cdnvic

CITY RALLY: I won’t quit, PM tells taxi drivers

Published on December 26, 2005

Says ‘sore losers’ will die before he gives up power. Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday held a special meeting with some 10,000 taxi drivers in an apparent attempt to win their hearts as part of his efforts to shore up his declining popularity.

Thaksin has seen his popularity wane recently following a series of attacks by his critics.

Apparently attracted by the chance to win free cars and houses, the drivers gathered at Hua Mak Indoor Stadium for the meeting with Thaksin, who told them that the criticism against his government came from a handful of “sore losers”.

Thaksin assured the taxi drivers that he would not dissolve the House or quit simply because the “sore losers” had asked him to, saying he had support from the majority of voters nationwide.

“I must tell you about the political situation because you are interested in politics,” Thaksin told the taxi drivers.

Taxi drivers’ views are considered a kind of political indicator, as the drivers meet people from all walks of life. Many observers have said that taxi drivers these days have begun to criticise Thaksin in the wake of a series of strong attacks from media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul and others, who have questioned the premier’s integrity and loyalty to His Majesty the King.

“Don’t panic over political problems as [the critical attacks] were nothing more than the voices of sore losers,” Thaksin said.

He said he felt it was necessary to explain the real situation to the taxi drivers because these “sore losers” had hired people to campaign against him.

“They say my government will definitely fall. They bark only for themselves to hear, so they’re only bothering themselves,” Thaksin said.

“I have become a problem for these broken-hearted people. So, those who have joined forces to try to chase me out of office, I would like to say that you are all doing it in vain. Don’t worry – I’ll still be here even after your death,” Thaksin said.

The prime minister said he needed to explain to the taxi drivers that there had to be rules in politics.

“I’ve been elected by nearly 20 million people, and my party has over 370 MPs, so it’s not right that I suddenly have to quit just because someone started barking at Lumpini Park or because someone hired people from Phetchaburi, Phuket and certain slums in Bangkok to say ‘Go out, and return the mandate [to His Majesty the King]’. Are they crazy?” Thaksin said.

“If I listen to them, what will the poor, the middle-class people and all the people who elected me, think? ... Maybe they’ll have to wait until the next life.”

Thaksin said his loyalty to His Majesty was demonstrated by the fact that he had graduated from the police academy, where he swore an oath and drank sacred water.

“If I am not loyal [to the Royal Family], who else will be? So, I have to tell you, taxi drivers, straightforwardly so that you will all get a real understanding,” Thaksin said.

Hassaya Chartmontree

The Nation

Premier gives away houses, cabs at rally

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday handed over the keys to three taxis and 10 houses to the lucky winners of a prize draw during the “PM meets the Taxi Drivers” event at the Hua Mak Indoor Stadium in Bangkok.

Valued at more than Bt3.5 million, the prizes were paid for by Thaksin himself. And each of the 10,000 taxi drivers who attended the event had a chance to win.

Up for grabs were three green-and-yellow Toyota Limo taxis valued at Bt680,000 each and 10 houses worth Bt150,000 each. The premier cast lots to determine the winners.

One lucky prize-winner, Sahathep Kongmeetham, showed his delight at winning a car by prostrating himself at Thaksin’s feet.

Another winner was Abhisit Sripuang. Making reference to his political adversary, Thaksin joked: “Despite having the same name as the Democrat Party leader, I am confident that he [prizewinner Abhisit] votes for the Thai Rak Thai Party.”

Abhisit, who won a house, said it was the best New Year gift he had ever received. In gratitude for his good fortune, he said he would work as a volunteer patroller.

During yesterday’s event, the prime minister also test drove a new energy-saving taxi that’s fuelled by natural gas.

Piyamart Songklin

The Nation

Are these 'sore losers' the very people that Mr T promised to help, and has failed miserably? Would all 10,000 taxi driver have bothered to turn up without the chance of a free car or house?

As for saying he won't quit, he might not have much say about it.

CITY RALLY: I won’t quit, PM tells taxi drivers

Says ‘sore losers’ will die before he gives up power. Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday held a special meeting with some 10,000 taxi drivers in an apparent attempt to win their hearts as part of his efforts to shore up his declining popularity.

Try saying that at your workplace :D

Thaksin has seen his popularity wane recently following a series of attacks by his critics.

Apparently attracted by the chance to win free cars and houses, the drivers gathered at Hua Mak Indoor Stadium for the meeting with Thaksin, who told them that the criticism against his government came from a handful of “sore losers”.

The man obviously forgot about recent Royal speeches...

Thaksin assured the taxi drivers that he would not dissolve the House or quit simply because the “sore losers” had asked him to, saying he had support from the majority of voters nationwide.

“I must tell you about the political situation because you are interested in politics,” Thaksin told the taxi drivers.

...or winning free prizes

Taxi drivers’ views are considered a kind of political indicator, as the drivers meet people from all walks of life. Many observers have said that taxi drivers these days have begun to criticise Thaksin in the wake of a series of strong attacks from media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul and others, who have questioned the premier’s integrity and loyalty to His Majesty the King.

“Don’t panic over political problems as [the critical attacks] were nothing more than the voices of sore losers,” Thaksin said.

...still doesn't remember recent Royal speeches...

He said he felt it was necessary to explain the real situation to the taxi drivers because these “sore losers” had hired people to campaign against him.

Why taxi drivers only? Can't tell the newspapers and radio/tv stations what to do anymore? :D

“They say my government will definitely fall. They bark only for themselves to hear, so they’re only bothering themselves,” Thaksin said.

So why are you so worried and handing out prizes so that people will listen to you bark?

“I have become a problem for these broken-hearted people. So, those who have joined forces to try to chase me out of office, I would like to say that you are all doing it in vain. Don’t worry – I’ll still be here even after your death,” Thaksin said.

I'd watch out for Lee Harvey Oswald fans if I were him and buy a kevlar-lined silk shirt..

The prime minister said he needed to explain to the taxi drivers that there had to be rules in politics.

Like that Monopoly game? :o

“I’ve been elected by nearly 20 million people, and my party has over 370 MPs, so it’s not right that I suddenly have to quit just because someone started barking at Lumpini Park or because someone hired people from Phetchaburi, Phuket and certain slums in Bangkok to say ‘Go out, and return the mandate [to His Majesty the King]’. Are they crazy?” Thaksin said.

Monarchs usually hang around quite a while, politicians come and go...

If I listen to them, what will the poor, the middle-class people and all the people who elected me, think? ... Maybe they’ll have to wait until the next life.”

:DListen, Thaksin listen! :D

Thaksin said his loyalty to His Majesty was demonstrated by the fact that he had graduated from the police academy, where he swore an oath and drank sacred water.

In 1973, thirty some years ago. Someone's ego sure has swelled in 30 some years.  :D

“If I am not loyal [to the Royal Family], who else will be? So, I have to tell you, taxi drivers, straightforwardly so that you will all get a real understanding,” Thaksin said.

Obviously meant " I have to BUY you, taxi drivers, straightforwardly so that you will all get a real understanding”

Hassaya Chartmontree

The Nation

I wonder if this story will make the newspapers abroad and tarnish his image some more?

These are the words and actions of a troubled man. There would have been no need for him to brag to the taxi drivers ( a gullible lot one might suspect ,especially with a hint of freebies in the air) that he paid for the new taxis and homes out of his own pocket. The houses are or will be small,shoddy no doubt and very cheap (200,000Bt) If he was truly as genuinely magnanimous as he would like us to believe, he could have helped the poor local people who lost everything in the tsunami last year. His flagrant lack of interest in the southern flood victims this month is another indicator of his true moral level. "If you aren't TRT you are against us" he inferred, and thus they will be punished.

With his and his family's billions of baht , he could have impressed the whole of Thailand by arranging and paying for construction of homes for all the displaced Thais and others affected by that tragedy. I am sure the costs of a few thousand homes would have had a minor dent in his bank balance.

I realise he is not Bill Gates, but can someone on this board please name one charitable thing that this man has done that the public is aware of????

Unfortunately in Thaksin's case, charity begins at home and it damned well stays there too!!!

You guys must be talking BIG CITY PRICES, ay? :D

Go way, way out in the 'urbs and you could pick-up a little honey like this for that kind of money:

B861.jpg

Chicken and hog confinement extra.......

-----------------------------------------------------

Thailand politics keeps getting stranger all the time.

Renting the auditorium probably tripled that 3.5 million baht price tag.

Expensive public relations paid for by a very wealthy man! :o

This is starting to get scary IMO.

~WISteve

I realise he is not Bill Gates, but can someone on this board please name one charitable thing that this man has done that the public is aware of????

Unfortunately in Thaksin's case, charity begins at home and it damned well stays there too!!!

After pouring over heaps of news sources, I did find one donation he made....

a tie pin given to be auctioned...three years ago... coincidence that it was for flood relief...

I think his daughter had the winning bid, afterwhich she was scolded severely for squandering money.

Published on Sep 30, 2002

Prime minister's tie pin auctioned for Bt3 million

A television fundraiser featuring an auction of prominent politicians' personal effects raised Bt71 million for flood victims' relief on Saturday night.

A tie-pin belonging to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra fetched a whopping Bt3 million, making it the programme's biggest money earner.

The auction was part of a special broadcast by state-run Channels 9 and 11.

and although it's not as if we needed confirmation, but at least it's now official:

Thaksin gone crazy

Published on Dec 26 , 2005

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra appeared as if he had gone crazy when he was addressing some 10,000 taxi drivers on Sunday, Democrat Party spokesman Ong-arj Klampaiboon said Monday.

He said the Democrat watched Thaksin addressing the taxi drivers on TV and saw that the prime minister appeared as if he had lost his conscience on several instances and used rude words inappropriate for the prime minister.

Ong-arj said Thaksin should not have rudely called his critics as "those who barked at Lumpini Partk".

"The words showed that he lacked no respect to opinions of people who disagree with the government and that he was looking down on people," the spokesman said.

He said Thaksin should have tried to rebut criticism with reasons instead of appearing emotional during his speech to the taxi drivers.

:o

Edited by sriracha john

gallery_6606_126_40806.jpg

He's so charitable that according to the Matichon newspaper, he ordered TV Channel 11 to stop a special fund raiser collecting money to help people hit by the latest floods in the southern provinces, claiming that the government has enough money to help flood victims.

(according to an article republished in the Bangkok Post, Dec.26, section 1 page 9)

Strangely enough, the front page mentions that 2,990 people affected by last year's tsunami are still living in shelters. :o

Edited by penzman

Strangely enough, the front page mentions that 2,990 people affected by last year's tsunami are still living in shelters. :o

I read somewhere recently that the Govt still has $23 million of donated money unspent, will it ever get spent?

I also read that there are people, poor people mind you, that have received no Govt help at all to date.

How much is the Prime Minister's salary from the govt? I mean real pay packet and not counting all other 'opportunities' :D

So, he is 'paid' very well by the govt as PM indeed to pay for all these things to gather the 20,000 cabbies with lucky draws and prices and rental of the stadium ! :o

Wonder why no previous PM do the same? :D