New Washing Machine

Asiantravel

I just purchased a new washing machine and at the bottom right-hand corner on the outside

there is a green and yellow wire with a small circular metal fitting which I assume is the earthing wire?

my washing machine is being kept outside on an enclosed balcony.

Can anyone advise me where and to what this wire should be safely attached?

I just thought someone may be more familiar with this topic than me.

Does the machine have a two or three prong plug (if three pin and your electric outlet provides ground that will be all you need)? If two pin and your electric is grounded I would change plug and run ground wire to plug for grounding. Otherwise you need to find a ground point which may be a problem - likely the best you will find is something attached to rebar of building

Does the machine have a two or three prong plug (if three pin and your electric outlet provides ground that will be all you need)? If two pin and your electric is grounded I would change plug and run ground wire to plug for grounding. Otherwise you need to find a ground point which may be a problem - likely the best you will find is something attached to rebar of building

thanks for your reply lopburi

no unfortunately I only have a two prong plug and I am unable to run round wire to the plug for grounding.

Can you suggest what would make a suitable ground point and what do you mean by " attached to rebar of building "?

Thanks a lot

A metal rail for balcony or some other metal attached to the iron bars inside the concrete is often the only option in apartments if your electric is not grounded. If your home has three pin outlets and they are grounded that is the best option and an electrician could run a ground wire and install a three pin plug for very little cost.

A metal rail for balcony or some other metal attached to the iron bars inside the concrete is often the only option in apartments if your electric is not grounded. If your home has three pin outlets and they are grounded that is the best option and an electrician could run a ground wire and install a three pin plug for very little cost.

ok thanks very much

My washing machine wasn't earthed for about 4 years it is earthed now by a ground rod along with the fridge, I was not overly concerned because we have a RCB unit connected to the incoming house supply.

There has never been any tingles but it being earthed now is just an improvement. :D

thanks for your reply lopburi

no unfortunately I only have a two prong plug and I am unable to run round wire to the plug for grounding.

Can you suggest what would make a suitable ground point and what do you mean by " attached to rebar of building "?

Thanks a lot

.;I do not think much of that idea. the veranda could become live.

Actually, in the absence of anything better, the railing is a pretty good ground. I checked ours and it's nearly as good as the proper condo earth.

I will add to L3's comments that an RCD (Safe-T-Cut) is essential equipment in a 2-pin environment. If our OP does not have one he should get one installed as soon as possible.

Yes I was focused on the machine rather than the system. Highly recommend RCD. I installed my first Safe-T-Cut in 1978 and it is still protecting today. And have been thankful for it several times - the last being a roll up zip cord extension with insulation stripped by the plastic container. Roll up/zip cord extensions are gone!

Actually, in the absence of anything better, the railing is a pretty good ground. I checked ours and it's nearly as good as the proper condo earth.

I will add to L3's comments that an RCD (Safe-T-Cut) is essential equipment in a 2-pin environment. If our OP does not have one he should get one installed as soon as possible.

thanks for your advice Crossy

I just found this website with a few different products http://www.safe-t-cut.com/eng/index.php?name=product

does this mean that the only thing that needs to be done by an electrician is to replace the socket

on the wall?and do all the sockets have to be replaced?

I assume there would be no rewiring necessary?

Safe-T-Cut is not going to provide a ground (and a ground is important and you should have if possible) but only provides a very quick disconnect if you become the conductor between the live wire and ground (it can and does save lives). Many home have such a unit at main distribution panel providing protection to all (or most) circuits. Have never seen any outlets for sale in Thailand yet (overseas this is often the only type used (bathrooms/pools and such). The ground path allows circuit breaker to activate much faster and more reliable so best to have both installed. Also the RCB will not directly prevent fire type shorts (hot to neutral sparks) as that will require trip of circuit breaker.

unfortunately I don't have a metal rail balcony either because it is brick or concrete block .

here is a picture of my plug. Presumably this cannot be changed to a three pin plug

otherwise why would the manufacturers not have done it?

post-149848-0-58002700-1335579231_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

You have the connection on washer - all an electrician has to do is run that wire along outside of current cord/remove plug and install three pin plug with the current hot/neutral wires and the new ground wire. If you want it to look better he can replace the entire cord with a three wire and plug.

They are sold with the manual ground connection because many Thai homes do not have three pin grounded outlets so must ground to a stake. If you have electric ground you should use it.

You have the connection on washer - all an electrician has to do is run that wire along outside of current cord/remove plug and install three pin plug with the current hot/neutral wires and the new ground wire. If you want it to look better he can replace the entire cord with a three wire and plug.

They are sold with the manual ground connection because many Thai homes do not have three pin grounded outlets so must ground to a stake. If you have electric ground you should use it.

Thanks a lot lopburi ! now it makes sensethumbsup.gif

I don't care about the appearance so he could do with you suggest just run

the wire on the outside. if it necessary to then wrap it with insulation or is it safe to

leave the green and yellow wire " exposed " ?

If you want to keep it simple, you could just run the ground wire from the washer into the receptacle ground (as it sounds like you have that, yah?). Just take off the cover plate, take out the receptacle, and connect the washer ground to the receptacle ground. But, use the plug option if appearance is important.

Much safer to use the plug option, especially if move is required at some point. I would not ask this reader to take off outlet cover and make wire attachments and expect he will use electrician for plug replacement.

If you want to keep it simple, you could just run the ground wire from the washer into the receptacle ground (as it sounds like you have that, yah?). Just take off the cover plate, take out the receptacle, and connect the washer ground to the receptacle ground. But, use the plug option if appearance is important.

this doesn't sound half as simple as changing the plugblink.png

Much safer to use the plug option, especially if move is required at some point. I would not ask this reader to take off outlet cover and make wire attachments and expect he will use electrician for plug replacement.

I certainly will be using an electrician

I mentioned that in post 2 but it has never been directly answered - not only a three pin outlet but the electrician must verify a ground connection. If he does not know how to do this (and I did have to show an electrician how) a multi meter voltage check can be made in normal hot/neutral getting xxx voltage and between hot/ground the same and neutral/ground 0 volts (or very close). A multi meter only costs about 200 baht and electrician should have - but if only assistant he may not.

I mentioned that in post 2 but it has never been directly answered - not only a three pin outlet but the electrician must verify a ground connection. If he does not know how to do this (and I did have to show an electrician how) a multi meter voltage check can be made in normal hot/neutral getting xxx voltage and between hot/ground the same and neutral/ground 0 volts (or very close). A multi meter only costs about 200 baht and electrician should have - but if only assistant he may not.

I'm trying to help out the OP with my electrician. Unfortunately, he only speaks Thai, but is a great electrician!!

sorry I didn't answer that. Yes I have 3 pin outlets

I'm trying to help out the OP with my electrician. Unfortunately, he only speaks Thai, but is a great electrician!!

I am hoping my Thai lessons at Pro language will come in useful in this instance!

Edited by Asiantravel

Thai electrical appliances connected with a two (2) pin mouded plug top and 2 core flex lead have earthing ( grounding) instructions procedures in the manufacturers instruction manual.

This form of connection is not designed to carry any large fault current but only to remove the effects of any leakage current.

To provide protection from earth faults an RCD should be installed, An RCD will disconnect within the required time of less than 0.2/0.3 secs.

A 30mA RCD will operate with a maximum fault loop resistance of 220/0.03 = 7333ohms.

A 10mA RCD will operate with a maximum fault loop resistance of 22000ohms.