Snake In Garden

Just caught a nice ngoo-singh in my garden whilst clearing grass and other debris.

Usual Thai reaction - wife screaming in terror -, hired gardener approaching with our petrol driven grass slayer waving madly.

I recognised it fairly quickly ( hello mate : )

Caught it, chased the gardener and wife for a while and then jogged down the lane and released it in an abandoned rat-filled plot down the road.

I used to live in South Africa and caught snakes ( including bad ones ) for fun as a nipper.

Came back to hear the gardener boast about the 20 foot Cobra he caught last week.......

Untitled.jpg

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 2

Hi Karen - I think tehre are probably too many 'Snake in my Garden ' posts in retrospect to my temper tantrum :)

It is called ' Indo-Chinese rate snake' - Latin - Ptyas korros (Schlegel, 1837).

They are very common and sadly get killed bu the hundreds every day - afterwards the owners wonder why the rat/mice population has tripled...

They are very common and sadly get killed bu the hundreds every day

..of which a high % of those end up in the kitchen or local market. Ptyas korros, is a popular food for many Thai people.

In the fields they are fine but do not want them near my house. The poison ones, that is. I do try to eliminate their need to be near my house.

Like you Op I'm a snake lover (had them as pets when I was young - Garter snakes and Royal Pythons mostly). Had a few in the house here, couple of Keels and a LoationRat snake once (young one - real beauty). The Keels both left by their own accord with me walking slowly and gently by their side as they high tailed it to the river behind my house. Rat snake hung around for a few days then disappeared. No worries. Much rather have a non venomous (OK Keel are mildly venomous, rear fanged, but you'd have to let the blighter chew on your for half an hour to be dangerous at all) snake in the house than a rat or mouse - I was brought up in the wilds of the Kent country side in the UK (garden of England) and mice could be a real problem especially when the weather got cold. Makes me think of the Great Plague of London (1665) when they killed all the cats thinking they were witches familiars and the cause, when really they were the only things keeping the rat population down - Thais seem to want to club any snake to death, seems like schools should teach some local animal life as part of biology/eccology classes perhaps - not every snake is a deranged King Cobra waiting to pounce.

• Like 1