Motorcycle Tour

Hi

I'm thinking of touring Thailand on a motorcycle.

Can anyone with any serious advice/actual experience about the pro-cons of doing this step forward.

I would prefer if we could avoid topics regarding the driving ability and road craft of the inhabitants, as I am aware of this already.

Ideally information required regarding

The best place to purchase a bike.

Bike ownership the legalities.

Best times of year to attempt this.

And anything else you think I should consider

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Spacedcowboy

Perhaps this is better served in the Bike forum, I will wait until you tell us where you want to buy the bike. I presume Samui ? Then we can move it for broader advise.

There are plenty of bike for sale in samui. U shall need one with big tyres. The is Ohm's Shop in chaweng Noi on the ring road near centara hotel.

I would suggest u try in in a group and head towards nation parks. Did a road trip around Thailand, was the bolllocks. Samui , Hua hin, Bangkok, Kon Kean, Non Kai, back through Nations park towards Chiang Mai, Mar Sai, Went to the Opium museam. then crossed in the the golden triangle . a voat took us for the day to Burmebr Loas and back to Thailand. Then from there to a medi Evil place called Pai. which about 700 bends in the road where people get sick

then back the Chaing Rai, Chiang mai, Sukothai, Pittanolok, Bangkok, Kantchanburi. Hua Hin, Koh Samui,

Took about 3 weeks. 3 cars 9 people. loads of arguments and loads of laughs.

to the MAX !!!

Hope this may help a little, I cannot answer all questions

I did a 3000 k trip to Malaka and back to Samui, last July on Honda PCX (125) .... Had great weather the whole trip.... Bike rode well... took three weeks... that was enough!

Do stop an take in the scenery on the way.... rather than making marathon days of continuous driving...sick.gif

I would recommend having a Shad box on back of bike, a back pack really gets tedious and uncomfortable. ... at least when fully packed... I did not have one at the time... but now do. Failing that a watertight bag can be attached... to the back of seat, hocks required! ... assuming no passenger.

Several things to take with you, is in the higher areas, you need warm clothing... good jacket even gloves... ! Sunscreen to help prevent burn...Good helmet!

Make sure to top up gas at any opportunity...

Big C mentioned Pai area, well I have done Pai to Lom Lot Caves, (worth seeing) ..... and believe me it gets darn cold after the sun sets... that would have been in January... I think it would be cold anytime of year in higher elevations....

Obviously better not to travel in the dark, but sometimes unavoidable. I got caught in Borneo in January trying to find a hotel one evening... 40 kms seemed like 400 kms! w00t.gifWind chill on a bike makes it feel much colder than it actually is (18c seems very cold) crazy.gif

The problem I think is missing the Rainy season in northern Thailand, so this is something I cannot answer. (Season reversed to Samui and the southern areas of Thailand.. ) ... someone in the northern regions can confirm when the rainy season starts... ?... so a matter of catching the north before or after... hard one to answer as seasons seem a bit off... sad.png

I have considered this trip my self so will be interested in further comments. .... from Bike riders! thumbsup.gif

If you are looking to buy a second hand bike, the best place is to look on mocyc.com. This is a thai site but can be translated using google to view a specific ad. All bikes I've viewed on the island seem to be very overpriced, as with the secondhand cars. I am after a bike too and look at this site daily, some real good bikes with all the proper documents. Have a look and good luck!

Perhaps this is better served in the Bike forum, I will wait until you tell us where you want to buy the bike. I presume Samui ? Then we can move it for broader advise.

Hi Roo

Looking to start in Samui if this is of help, I should of stated that, however this is dependent on the price selection of bikes and peoples input and suggestions on where to source

Thailand has a very strong riders culture amongst the expat community, especially up North out of Chiang Mai...

Depends on what you want to see and do, but I would recommend flying to Chiang Mai and hiring a bike from there, where there is a better range, and better riding roads...

A newish 650 Versys is about 1800/day... Older 'big bikes' are under 1000/day... IMHO it would need to be a long trip to overcome the hassle and probable cost of buying and selling and registering...

The best place to start your research is www.gt-rider.com

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo
  • Like 1

There are plenty of bike for sale in samui. U shall need one with big tyres. The is Ohm's Shop in chaweng Noi on the ring road near centara hotel.

I would suggest u try in in a group and head towards nation parks. Did a road trip around Thailand, was the bolllocks. Samui , Hua hin, Bangkok, Kon Kean, Non Kai, back through Nations park towards Chiang Mai, Mar Sai, Went to the Opium museam. then crossed in the the golden triangle . a voat took us for the day to Burmebr Loas and back to Thailand. Then from there to a medi Evil place called Pai. which about 700 bends in the road where people get sick

then back the Chaing Rai, Chiang mai, Sukothai, Pittanolok, Bangkok, Kantchanburi. Hua Hin, Koh Samui,

Took about 3 weeks. 3 cars 9 people. loads of arguments and loads of laughs.

to the MAX !!!

Cars ? Op was asking aobut a bike trip. I have done both and bike is always better IMHO

• Like 1

Where to start . . .

I ride about 100,000 km a year in Thailand. Big bikes, small bikes, and others in between

I have been riding in Thailand for over 10 years.

Groups can be fun, but also add problems. I have found alone or with just one other best for me.

I stay away from the biker weeks. seems like they are more interested in showing off there bikes, and drinking beer. then really getting out and riding.

Some things to ask yourself is

a.) how much riding expereance do you have ?

b.) how much time do you have to ride ?

c.) what do you want to see ?

d.) what is your budget ?

Some will say big bikes are best. And where they may at times be more comfotable, If your lacking skills this is no place to start looking for them. A smaller bike (wave) will get 50 - 60 km/l where the bigger bikes can be under 20 km/l adding to cost. A Honda Wave or such is fixable in about every corner and back road in Thailand, The bigger bikes are not. And A small biek can get you in and out of some tight spots where larger bikes can not. One thing I have noticed is on a bike of the masses, (Wave, Mio, Click, PCX etc..) you are much more accepted and accessable to the local people than if you pull in on your million Baht super bike.

I like to ride 400 - 600 km a day depending on the route. Some do less, way less, and others more, I have done 1300 km in one day on my NInja when I was called back to work (Trat to Chiang Mai) I leave in the morning just before 9 a.m. and like to ride untill 5 p.m. Some one said not to ride after dark and I agree. Roads I dont know poorly lit and more drunks out.

Don't worry about hte rainy season. It is always the rainy season somewhere in Thailand. Nov. - Feb. are cooler in the north. Travel light but include a rain jacket. doesn't have to be anything fancy and some are avalable here for under 20 Baht.

Sunscreen. Use it. Good helmet, always use it. Don't be the idiot in shorts and T shirt with flip flops on and no helmet.

Thailand is very bike friendly. As well as friendly and helpful to others on bikes where you need help.

Have a sense of adventure.

Fuel cost for me average 200 - 600 Baht a day depending on bike size (Small - large)

I budget 200 - 300 Baht a day for food snacks, and drinks along the way. I never drink beer or such while I am on a ride. Adjust accordingly depending on what you eat and drink

Hotels I try to budget 500 - 600 a day. I want a hot shower and sit down toilet. But some go cheeper and others high end. What do you want.at the end of each day/

A massage will add 100 or 200 a day

Some times it is fun to have a lady along but adds to cost and trouble at times.

I am soon planning a loop of Thailand on a Honda 125 Wave. 2 - 3 weeks and 6000 km. done it all before but not all together.

Enjoy your ride, if you have questions or want to go riding some times, PM me and we can talk more

Thanks very much this is really is really helpful

I was just riding as I often am. It is very hot outside Maybe 40C (100+F)

it started to sprinkle and I was happy to be cooled off. When it started to rain heavy I as many pulled into a store front with cover or gas station; I with many others, all Thai, just laughed and waited. Maybe 20 minutes it slowed way down I headed out. 2 km down the road it never rained. I was all dry with in 10 minutes.

Rain here is warm, usually heavy but short lived. All part of the adventure, And good reason for a cheep under seat rain jacket (that I did not have today with me)

• Like 1