California Wow Fitness Bankrupt Sued By Bangkok Bank

Rimmer

They are probably looking for buyers for the gyms, either individually or as a group. I wonder if the new owner has any legal obligation to honour existing contracts?

I certainly hope they will honor existing contracts. In Thailand, who knows. It's really not good for the Calif WOW or the Bangkok bank if they go under, so most times the Bank will give them some more time to make their payments or restructure the payments. Edited by how241

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are probably looking for buyers for the gyms, either individually or as a group. I wonder if the new owner has any legal obligation to honour existing contracts?

I certainly hope they will honor existing contracts. In Thailand, who knows. It's really not good for the Calif WOW or the Bangkok bank if they go under, so most times the Bank will give them some more time to make their payments or restructure the payments.

Why would any buyer honor any existing contracts...I mean, that's what lead to WOW's bankruptcy. Why would the new buyer want to start off with a bunch of el cheapo members...all they might want are the leases (if good deals) and the equipment (and maybe the membership list to market new memberships to). Maybe the best one could hope for is a 10% discount on a new ANNUAL membership. Don't know why anyone would ever drink the "lifetime membership" Kool-Aid to begin with.

Edited by FarangBuddha
  • Like 1

I certainly hope they will honor existing contracts. In Thailand, who knows. It's really not good for the Calif WOW or the Bangkok bank if they go under, so most times the Bank will give them some more time to make their payments or restructure the payments.

Why would any buyer honor any existing contracts...I mean, that's what lead to WOW's bankruptcy. Why would the new buyer want to start off with a bunch of el cheapo members...all they might want are the leases (if good deals) and the equipment (and maybe the membership list to market new memberships to). Maybe the best one could hope for is a 10% discount on a new ANNUAL membership. Don't know why anyone would ever drink the "lifetime membership" Kool-Aid to begin with.

Alas, I tend to agree. If I were a buyer, I would not want to take on "liabilities" unless there is some law (eg consumer protection regulations) that compels me to do it. BTW, thanks for calling me el cheapo!

I know what the topic is about tropo.But you did comment about what a good gym it is and i agree.

You are a super defined super athlete ok we get it you tell us so may times how can we forget biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

Now back on topic

I think it will not just close in a instant you members will still get many years left

i hope because good gym for you

Edited by Markland

You are a super defined super athlete ok

Enough with the sarcasm. You seem overly concerned with my physical condition. You're welcome to come down to California Wow and see what dedicated training can achieve - even for an old guy.

Edited by tropo

It's not about "drink the "lifetime membership" Kool-Aid to begin with."

You buy a lifetime membership, get a good price, and after as little as 2-3 years your have yourself a GREAT deal.

Don't know why anyone would ever drink the "lifetime membership" Kool-Aid to begin with.

First of all you were insulting "people you know" by suggesting that they were so retarded that you had to inform them that a lifetime membership was only for the life of a gym - now you're insulting the rest of us who took out lifetime memberships at California Wow. You were even informed that some of us who took out lifetime memberships have had 2, 3 years or more of gym use for a very low one-off payment. When informed of that you had to make a comment that California is such a lousy gym that it is only worth a few thousand baht per year anyway. In my case 3,300 baht per year so far. If I'd had one year of my lifetime membership it would have still been worth it.

I'd have to ask - what type of weird "Kool-Aid" have you been drinking?....of did you have some kind of traumatic experience at California Wow and you have it in for them and anyone who took out a membership there?

Let me spell it out for you once more in the hope that you'll finally get it. Everyone who lives in Pattaya and takes out lifetime membership, be it at Tony's or California Wow, is well aware of the gamble they are taking. It's a calculated gamble that is still paying off for all takers as both gyms are still open. Right now I'm wishing that I had taken out the special lifetime offer at Tony's back in December as a back up plan.

No, I can't train at Fairtex - I need a real gym.

Edited by tropo

Good post: " Everyone who lives in Pattaya and takes out lifetime membership, be it at Tony's or California Wow, is well aware of the gamble they are taking. It's a calculated gamble that is still paying off for all takers as both gyms are still open."

You are a super defined super athlete ok

Enough with the sarcasm. You seem overly concerned with my physical condition. You're welcome to come down to California Wow and see what dedicated training can achieve - even for an old guy.

I know what dedicated training can achieve.I have been training since i was a14 yr old boy in rio.You seem overly obsessed with asking all of us down to wow to see this man of a machine in motion.I just think you to calm your insecurities or just post pictures of your amazing body.

And i am the same age as you,I called you a super athlete

my apology for complimenting you

Now back on topic tropo what is your opinion on california wow staying open.How long do your reckon ?

If wow does close will you go back to tonys or somewhere else.

not just a question to tropo but to other members of wow.

I am joining wow tommorow..crazy idea ? yes but my current gym is not up to scratch

The air con is a disgrace.And after i do a hard workout iit feels not right.No air con just low quality fans.

Equipment weights great.Cardio options suitable not overly impressive but enough

I hear some of the cardio machines in wow are amazing.I like to put in hard work it is easier when in a cool envirnoment and fairtex is mickey mouse

i will remove myself from this topic now some people to serious

Edited by Markland

.You seem overly obsessed with asking all of us down to wow to see this man of a machine in motion.I just think you to calm your insecurities or just post pictures of your amazing body.

Not obsessed at all. First invitation. If you don't believe something the best way is to check it out for yourself. I don't post personal photos on public forums and there's no way you'd be able to verify it's Tropo... right? Even if Tropo did post photos, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't believe it's him anyway - you'd claim they were photo-shopped or something else's photos.

You're the one with a hard on for everything Tropo - so come and check out if he's the real deal or full of shit.

... and we can kill 2 birds with one stone - you can show me what a success you turned out to be.

Edited by tropo

.You seem overly obsessed with asking all of us down to wow to see this man of a machine in motion.I just think you to calm your insecurities or just post pictures of your amazing body.

Not obsessed at all. First invitation. If you don't believe something the best way is to check it out for yourself. I don't post personal photos on public forums and there's no way you'd be able to verify it's Tropo... right? You're the one with a hard on for everything Tropo - so come and check out if he's the real deal or full of shit.

... and we can kill 2 birds with one stone - I can see what a success you turned out to be.

NOBODY has a hard one for Tropo,so don't glorify yourself so much.

By the way I also have a membership at Cawow for I think 4 years and train daily,only not for the past 3 months as I was too busy with other things,so it's also in my interest if the gym stay open.

By the way I still remember your discussions on this forum a few years ago where you praised Tony's gyms, only because you had a membership there, and how you ridiculed Cawow and every poster who said it was a good gym.

So who's the troll here?

NOBODY has a hard one for Tropo,so don't glorify yourself so much.

By the way I also have a membership at Cawow for I think 4 years and train daily,only not for the past 3 months as I was too busy with other things,so it's also in my interest if the gym stay open.

By the way I still remember your discussions on this forum a few years ago where you praised Tony's gyms, only because you had a membership there, and how you ridiculed Cawow and every poster who said it was a good gym.

So who's the troll here?

The joker comes back for another stab. I'd say you'd be the troll.... you claim I was ridiculing California Wow a few years ago yet I've been a member for 3 years. Until last year I was a member of both gyms. For 2 years I trained at both gyms.

The Tony's gym I was praising was the old Soi 16 Walking Street gym, but that disappeared (it actually moved but the new incarnation is crap) in February last year. I've never praised the main 3rd Road gym as I don't like it. I've never trained at the new Tony's gym either so I never commented either way about that one.

You getting confused about the time line because later on, after my "praise" posts, he started messing with the aircon, taking out equipment, the free water, the towels etc. Those "praise" posts go back to late 2007 when the gym was at its peak. As you should realise, nothing stays the same at Tony's. Get your facts straight if you're going to bring up ancient history - especially if you're going to use it to take a stab.

If California closes down, I'll try the new Tony's gym.

(Of course you've got a hard-on for me - because you're always looking for ways to take a stab. You might want to get your facts straight before you try again) (You joined up at the end of 2010, 3 years after I "praised" Tony's)

Edited by tropo

I've been a member of California Wow in Chiangmai for three years now ... work out four times a week ... equipment great ... staff good ... cheap lifetime membership plus Baht 100 year [never miss your Baht100 annual free!] 94 kg reduced to 80 ;-) trying to catch up with years of abuse.

Their rent in Airport Plaza alone must be a fortune + staff + utilities ...

Hope they survive the potential Bankruptcy ... fingers crossed

Inflammatory posts removed.

The next member to start a flame war or launch a personal attack on another member will get a seven day posting suspension. No exceptions

don't panic, I am sure this type of news re their dodgy financial situation was around a year or two ago. The banks do not want to be selling off all the machines, they would recover very little of their debt.

I paid 18,000 and 100 bt/year. if i get another year or two it had been value.

don't panic, I am sure this type of news re their dodgy financial situation was around a year or two ago. The banks do not want to be selling off all the machines, they would recover very little of their debt.

Well there's some positive thinking. I hope you're right.

I walked past their branch at Ekkamai yesterday and there were staff members clearly

trying to sign up new members.

are they allowed to do this under the circumstances and is it moral/ethical for them to do this

bearing in mind some people might lose all they pay to them?

Well there's some positive thinking. I hope you're right.

So far so good at Pattaya WOW. Open and staff assure me that all is OK.

I walked past their branch at Ekkamai yesterday and there were staff members clearly

are they allowed to do this under the circumstances and is it moral/ethical for them to do this

Would morals and ethics come into it at all in Thailand? "Buyer beware" is more important here than anywhere.

It wasn't all that long ago (depending on how old you are, that is) that Australia had to introduce legislation to make lifetime memberships illegal. One club signed up hundreds of members and closed the next day.

How are they supposed to get out of bankruptcy but by signing up more suckers...oh I mean "life-time" members.

On a more serious note, it is perfectly normal for businesses to operate while in bankruptcy. (American Airlines is in bankruptcy right now and continues to operate; as of course did General Motors.) The purpose of bankruptcy is to examine the debts and business prospects of a company to see if they are viable (the prospects to pay back the debt), The debt/business can either be re-organized under the current ownership, a new operator may come in and buy parts/all of the company, or the business can be liquidated and shut down. There are some peculiarities in the Thai bankruptcy proceedings but that's the general outcomes and it can take years to sort it all out.

Edited by FarangBuddha

How are they supposed to get out of bankruptcy but by signing up more suckers...oh I mean "life-time" members.

On a more serious note, it is perfectly normal for businesses to operate while in bankruptcy. (American Airlines is in bankruptcy right now and continues to operate; as of course did General Motors.) The purpose of bankruptcy is to examine the debts and business prospects of a company to see if they are viable (the prospects to pay back the debt), The debt/business can either be re-organized under the current ownership, a new operator may come in and buy parts/all of the company, or the business can be liquidated and shut down. There are some peculiarities in the Thai bankruptcy proceedings but that's the general outcomes and it can take years to sort it all out.

There you go. When you're serious you come out with some decent info.clap2.gif

but with American Airlines you only risk a short time before the contract is fulfilled

and you have taken your flight and with General Motors you would have had your car

whereas this involves providing a service stretched over a long period of time after paying

a lump sum in advance. I don't think they should be allowed to do that

Edited by Asiantravel

but with American Airlines you only risk a short time before the contract is fulfilled

and you have taken your flight and with General Motors you would have had your car

whereas this involves providing a service stretched over a long period of time after paying

a lump sum in advance. I don't think they should be allowed to do that

Yes I agree there are issues with a business like a gym providing a stream of services over time but which requires a rather large upfront purchase for those services and it is still selling such memberships while in bankruptcy proceedings, with an uncertain outcome. It is also probably the case that many of potential new members are unaware of the bankruptcy proceedings and that there "life-time" membership could very well be a short one.

It is also probably the case that many of potential new members are unaware of the bankruptcy proceedings and that there "life-time" membership could very well be a short one.

I'm not even sure if lifetime memberships are regularly available. I know I got mine for a manager who was heading back to the US the next week - as in leaving the company. I think they've been used as mischievous cash grabs at times due to the ridiculously low prices they were sold at. Due to the fact that a 100 baht renewal fee is due every year I'm sure many have been caught out with cancellations.

Edited by tropo

It is also probably the case that many of potential new members are unaware of the bankruptcy proceedings and that there "life-time" membership could very well be a short one.

I'm not even sure if lifetime memberships are regularly available. I know I got mine for a manager who was heading back to the US the next week - as in leaving the company. I think they've been used as mischievous cash grabs at times due to the ridiculously low prices they were sold at. Due to the fact that a 100 baht renewal fee is due every year I'm sure many have been caught out with cancellations.

They are VERY specific about the 100 yearly renewal. It must be done timely or you lose you renewal option. On the positive note, they have allowed me to pay it Far in advance so there is no excuse for missing the payment.

They are VERY specific about the 100 yearly renewal. It must be done timely or you lose you renewal option. On the positive note, they have allowed me to pay it Far in advance so there is no excuse for missing the payment.

I seem to remember awhile back someone saying they paid 10 years of renewal fees in advance. I thought this might be a good idea to prevent me from forgetting. When I asked them about this earlier this year they wouldn't allow it. Perhaps they introduced a new policy on this?

I seem to remember awhile back someone saying they paid 10 years of renewal fees in advance. I thought this might be a good idea to prevent me from forgetting. When I asked them about this earlier this year they wouldn't allow it. Perhaps they introduced a new policy on this?

As with many things in Thailand, it depends on what staff you are dealing with. Maybe, she didn't know how to enter the advance payment into the computer.

I paid 15 years renawal fees in advance when I signed up,later they didn't allow this anymore since they count on the fact that you will forget as it will cancel your membership.

I paid 15 years renawal fees in advance when I signed up,later they didn't allow this anymore since they count on the fact that you will forget as it will cancel your membership.

It's better for everyone that they lose a few lifetime members every now and then. The gym is very busy these days, even now that we're coming into the slow season.

Edited by tropo

Of course, the business model is a quasi-scam...why anyone would want to be associated with such a business is beyond me.