Pattaya Begins Enforcement Of Thailand’S Anti-Smoking Laws

Rimmer

Stepping over food especially in when it is placed on the floor and being eaten in a family or communual situation or in the Wat is a massive sign of disrespect because your arse passes over the food, Worse than farting at the dinner table especially if deliberate . One of the very first things i learnt when i first came to Thailand many years ago,

Now most Thais eat off tables in the cities and towns but in the villages it is still common for food to be placed on the floor.

it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends to have it ruined by smokers , especially if the management sides with the smokers.

No, it's obviously not a minor thing for you, but this is Thailand and it is a minor thing for Thais... therefore my comment that this is a cultural thing - they are tolerant, you are not. They will not necessarily understand all the fuss you make about what they consider a minor issue.

Just find a nice air-conditioned restaurant in a shopping mall - problem solved.

You are missing my point entirely. My concern is with the falung run restaurants serving falung food who don't mind taking the money from you but will not provide a envirionment for enjoyable eating . This what i should have made clear in my first post. Perhaps you should read the posts again and,yes, if anything i am intolerant not being given the choice of eating in a smoke free falung run restaurant . Nothing to do with the Thais . My original premise was that restaurants should make it clear that it is a non smoking or a smoking tolerant restaurant with some sort of signage. No big deal other than giving the punter some choice.

Stepping over food especially in when it is placed on the floor and being eaten in a family or communual situation or in the Wat is a massive sign of disrespect because your arse passes over the food, Worse than farting at the dinner table especially if deliberate . One of the very first things i learnt when i first came to Thailand many years ago,

Now most Thais eat off tables in the cities and towns but in the villages it is still common for food to be placed on the floor.

It is not your arse they are worried about...it is the bottom of your foot....considered the dirtiest part of your body....thats why boot peddlars are considered the low of the low.

But it seems tropos belief that they are so laid back and tolerant when it comes to blowing smoke in your face while you eat....yet the foreigner with any decent manners...and usually a non smoker....gets annoyed with that....but a Thai would not.....no cos they are...whats the word....'ignorant'....not tolerant......if they were tolerant they would not mind me stepping over their food....but instead they usually throw it away.

Thais in general are far more tolerant about everything around them (smokers, noise etc). They would wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm sure they must have many inside jokes about how Farang always kick up such a fuss about what they would consider minor things.

Yes i agree, i can see that everydays, thais can tolerate any sort of stuff you can think about, being that a big deal or a minor issue, and that's as long as it you being the "offended" part, a totally different matter if you are trying to do the same or even less to them biggrin.png

Just last month i had an argument with a neighbour litterally flooding part of my land with the water she use in her kitchen, as there was no way to make her understand that there are better alternatives, i just raised up the level of my land, so the water now goes to the land of another thai, which the first day just said to the flooding thai something like this "don't worry, we are not farang! it's ok if your water comes into my land...." and so on, having loud laughs about the complaining farang, and guess what happened from the following day? as soon as the flooded thais realize that their feets and vehicles where getting dirty because of the mud, their attitude complitely changed! ah ahh, honestly, you must have a strong sense of humor to live in this country....

It is not your arse they are worried about...it is the bottom of your foot....considered the dirtiest part of your body....thats why boot peddlars are considered the low of the low.

But it seems tropos belief that they are so laid back and tolerant when it comes to blowing smoke in your face while you eat....yet the foreigner with any decent manners...and usually a non smoker....gets annoyed with that....but a Thai would not.....no cos they are...whats the word....'ignorant'....not tolerant......if they were tolerant they would not mind me stepping over their food....but instead they usually throw it away.

You keep bringing up this irrelevant stepping over food nonsense. I'm sure if you step in their food they won't appreciate it either, but we're talking about someone smoking on an adjacent table. No big deal for a Thai.

To comply with anti-smoking legislation, Baht Buses and other public areas such as Bus Stops, phone booths and libraries are now non-smoking areas.

So that means, that every copper can squeeze a fine out of some one caught smoking on a Baht Bus.

You gotta be kidding me w00t.gif

Am a smoker myself but would never smoke on a Baht bus... most rude thing you can do to blow smoke AND ashes onto everybody else... and I only ever have seen Farang smoking on the Baht bus, never a Thai (except all drivers of course...)... so I absolutely agree with that law and would not mind anybody smoking on a Baht bus to be fined the 2'000 Baht they advertise in some of the cars...

You keep bringing up this irrelevant stepping over food nonsense.

Lol...why dont you try it sometime.......get back to us......

It will never happen because I don't eat anywhere where I risk stepping over food. Even if I did, common-sense (as opposed to Thai etiquette) would dictate that I don't....but I fail to see the relevance of stepping over food to smoking at adjacent tables.

You should join Kerry then in a little chat on a merrygoround....would love to hear that

I have no idea what who you're referring to (Kerry), but you're the one getting dizzy here. The thread is about smoking laws and you keep talking about "stepping on food".

over...not on....nor in....over......sheesh....no wonder you and Kerry get confused

You don't even recognise sarcasm. Over food - on food - what does this have to do with smoking?

I stated that Thais are far more tolerant than Farang in many situations - If you doubt this, you're blind to reality.... then of course you had to bring up stepping over food - to prove what? Of course there are many things which Thais will not tolerate, the point is they are more tolerant in general.

If you step over my food you're probably going to wear it because I doubt it would still be edible.

Edited by tropo

And i don't think it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends to have it ruined by smokers , especially if the management sides with the smokers.

And i don't think it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends and have forked out another 1000 baht for a fine Cuban cigar to enjoy afterwards only to have it ruined by non-smokers , especially if the management sides with the non-smokers.

Edited by JSixpack

And i don't think it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends to have it ruined by smokers , especially if the management sides with the smokers.

And i don't think it is a minor thing when you have forked out between 400 to 1000 baht (or more) for a meal for your family /friends and have forked out another 1000 baht for a fine Cuban cigar to enjoy afterwards only to have it ruined by non-smokers , especially if the management sides with the non-smokers.

Good management.....and deserving of a very large tip in my opinion.....especially if they put out that 1000b filth stick in your beer.

Edited by samsiam

LOL. ...