Best City For Jogging

Well, my question is above.

Im really enjoy jogging, doing 5ks almost everyday, did a marathon and few half marathons. I really love to run.

Now im moving to LOS for few months just to get my shit together after painful divorce. No girls, no drinking, just quiet life.

What is the best city(not village) to do what i like to do the most?

Just a nice run in nice area without cars, traffic lights, not crowded, with a nice views along the route and as less unattended dogs as possible.

What would u recommend?

Thank u.

Boogiewoogie,

Somewhat depends on what you consider a city (vs. a village). Also where you place youself in the city.

I am a runner and began running here in Thailand. At the time - about ten years ago now - I lived in Bangkok, but on the outskirts. I was a ten minute motorcycle ride from the sky train, but my runs were all in an area that was very quiet, no traffic, lots of trees, canals, etc. I trained for and ran a marathon while living there and could do two-three hour runs without more than a few cars passing me, depending on time of day. So even in a city like Bangkok, depending on where you put yourself, you can find some good running. You would need to stay in one of the areas outside of downtown, obviously.... but parts of areas like Nonthaburi and Samutprakarn and Thoburi and etc. will all have quiet areas in which one could get a lof of good long runs in.

I then spent five years in Isaan, ten kilometers outside a small city in a village area. I did a few half marathons up there. My best running area in Thailand thus far, all rice roads and trails, but you state your preference for a city.

I just relocated Bang Saen, Chonburi. It's right bewteen Bangkok and Pattaya, about an hour from each. It's on the beach... not a pristine beach, but a beach. Imagine Pattaya with no sex industry to speak of (I know that's hard to imagine)... Bang Saen is something like that. It has all the necessities... a shopping mall in town with a supermarket, movie theater, etc... and within 10 K, larger shopping malls, IT centers, yada, yada... It's very busy on weekends and public holdidays, but otherwise fairly quiet. You can run five to seven K on the beach (and very few dogs as they are not allowed). There is also a small hill called Khao Sammuk which provides excellent opportunities for running hills. Some gradual, some VERY steep. A lot of street dogs, however, though all relatively harmless. But also a lof of monkeys, also relatively harmless but the young ones will come at you now and again. I trust the dogs more than the monkeys, to be honest. A lot of people run and cycle the area though so they scare off easy enough that they don't disuade the locals and/or the local expats who like to take advantage of the hills.

On dogs in general, I think people make a bit too much of it. I've been distance running in Thailand for over ten years. In that time I have lived in a few different locations. I run from 10 to 15 K and someteimes longer when I am getting ready for a race and i like to explore new areas so often try new routes. Add all that up, and i have run past thousands of dogs. I have never been bitten. If they come at you, bend down and pick up a rock (or just pretend to) and generally off they go. In general, owned and cared for dogs are more dangerous than soi dogs. Soi dogs that are a danger are usually dealt with by locals, and so those left alone are usually those who leave people alone.

Anyway, good luck and good running.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are good jogs... everywhere! I do 8km/day down here in Saphli, on the beach, carry empty 1.5l plastic coke bottle to dissuade canine interlopers.

In my 17 years on/off here -

round-the-lake run in KhonKaen

Surin, head southeast to exercise park

Trat, road near new bus station then on the road towards border with Cambodge

Chantaburi, big jogging scene at central Park

Pattaya, you can squeeze in a jog head south towards Jomtien, then head back north and do the beach walk before the working girls/customers take over.

Petchaburi - can head to sports ground, do a few laps around the outside (exercise park is present)

Narathiwat - excellent to jog to the beach, exercise park there too

Prachuap - good beach heading north from town

BanKrut - 10 km beach to the south

and yes BKK - Lumphini Park any day

Get out there early, avoid the sun/crowds/cars. Always carry you dog dissuader. AA