Signing A New Office Lease

Next week im going to be moving my business into a new address and signing a lease for the new building. Currently the building is being used as a bar/restaurant. The landlord has checked over our contract for the new lease and says it looks fine, he's ready for us to pay and sign next week.

He gave me some advise. He said currently the address has a business registered to it (the bar) If i want to register my business to the address i'll have to ask the bar owner to close his business. Therefore the building will not have any business registered to it and will be vacant for me. Is this correct? I spoke with the current tenant and asked him to go down to the DBD office in town and "unrigister" his bar from the address. He said there is no need to do this as once i pay the money and sign the contract the building will be mine etc.

I don't want to be landed with one of his tax bills or something like that.

He said he'll phone the DBD office and check. I'll get my girlfriend to do the same. Does anybody have any experience of this sort of thing?

Any advise? Thanks

Our address has multiple companies registered so no need to "unregister" in order to get your business registered.

Tax bills should be in a company name not an address, so in theory not a problem for you but let someone with direct experience confirm it.

you should insert an extra clause in the contract or if it's already been signed as an appendix

whereby you are fully indemnified from this sort of thing. The market in Bangkok is not that strong

that the landlord would ultimately refuse this arrangement because as you say you don't want any nasty surprises

Edited by Asiantravel