Do Soldiers Have Immunity Against Laws?

tangcoral

"What appalls me is that this investigation is said to be handled by the military which obviously cover up the unfortunate incident to protect its own"

Let me pose this question, has the US military handed over the Sgt who shot up all the Afgan civilians a while ago for trial by Afgan authorities ? US military personnel raping a South korean girl, a few years ago ?....was he handed over to South Korean authorities for trial ?

You see were I am going with this.....What Thai army is doing in this case is not unusual worldwide and is the accepted norm

Well that isn't a suitable example. A country that conquers other countries and doing retaliation on civilians with drones can't be an example. In compare to them the Thai army is innocent like a new born baby.

Talking about new born babies is not a good idea in relation to US military personnel. I know of many cases in the UK where, having impregnated a British woman, US personnel were immediately repatriated to avoid any action for child support.

Off topic but military are frequently protected and this seems to be particularly true with US personnel.

wow even in UK! I didn't know that.....

"What appalls me is that this investigation is said to be handled by the military which obviously cover up the unfortunate incident to protect its own"

Let me pose this question, has the US military handed over the Sgt who shot up all the Afgan civilians a while ago for trial by Afgan authorities ? US military personnel raping a South korean girl, a few years ago ?....was he handed over to South Korean authorities for trial ?

You see were I am going with this.....What Thai army is doing in this case is not unusual worldwide and is the accepted norm

Well that isn't a suitable example. A country that conquers other countries and doing retaliation on civilians with drones can't be an example. In compare to them the Thai army is innocent like a new born baby.

Talking about new born babies is not a good idea in relation to US military personnel. I know of many cases in the UK where, having impregnated a British woman, US personnel were immediately repatriated to avoid any action for child support.

Off topic but military are frequently protected and this seems to be particularly true with US personnel.

wow even in UK! I didn't know that.....

I wouldn't take that post as fact, and even if the soldier is no longer in country it doesn't mean the soldier is immune from prosecution.

Not the same thing, this is a Thai soldier in Thailand, the U.S. soldiers in the incidents mentioned, are processed within the SOFA (Status of Forces) or similar agreements with the foreign countries. But, no need to let the facts get in the way is there.

Hey, I've seen enough episodes of CSI and Law and order to know that the US military take charge of investigations and prosecutions from civilian authorities if it was one of their soldiers who is suspect.

I think I read it in Wikipedia too, after a mate down the bar suggested I do so.

• Like 1

Not the same thing, this is a Thai soldier in Thailand, the U.S. soldiers in the incidents mentioned, are processed within the SOFA (Status of Forces) or similar agreements with the foreign countries. But, no need to let the facts get in the way is there.

Hey, I've seen enough episodes of CSI and Law and order to know that the US military take charge of investigations and prosecutions from civilian authorities if it was one of their soldiers who is suspect.

I think I read it in Wikipedia too, after a mate down the bar suggested I do so.

Well your experience is a little different than mine, I've worked on or with overseas U.S. Military intallations for 14 years, what would I know compared to that guy at the bar.

Anyway, if those countries don't want operate that way, they shouldn't sign the agreements. Especially in the case of Japan, S. Korea and Europe, I think it's time to pull the U.S. out and let those countries pay for their own defense.

Edited by beechguy

Well your experience is a little different than mine, I've worked on or with overseas U.S. Military intallations for 14 years, what would I know compared to that guy at the bar.

Anyway, if those countries don't want operate that way, they shouldn't sign the agreements. Especially in the case of Japan, S. Korea and Europe, I think it's time to pull the U.S. out and let those countries pay for their own defense.

The US is defending Germany against who? In Japan and S.Korea they can at least spin some stories about evil China and N. Korea.

where is the little emoticon for banging my head against a wall when you need it?

• Like 1

which empires have collapsed because they left the military with too much power???

Turn it around - which countries can you name that are long-term successful wrt the welfare of their own population after turning over the bulk of power to their military?

The USSR fell due to its attempt to keep up with the arms race, poured most of its resources into that rather than rational development.

Amerika's downfall is very much due to its military-industrial complex having to great a say in all aspects of policy, but especially foreign affairs.