Vet Gave Dog Calming Tablet - Help ?

We took our westie to the vet in Kalasin yesterday for a booster and haircut.

On collection I noticed she was very drowsy - almost comatose.

The Vet informed me that she had given my dog a calming tablet - as she always does with dogs when cutting their hair/fur.

It's now 18 hours later and our dog still is not fully awake.

I am pissed off that the Vet has done this without calling us first and worried about the side effects - particularly on a small dog that cost us over 100k to bring tio Thailand 5 months ago.

Has any had similar experience?

I've often wondered whether grooming shops do this when a dog is nervous.

My toy poodle went for a haircut on Thursday, but she's such a placid animal that I don't think the shop would consider anything of the sort. She was perky enough when I took her back, anyway. Anyway, the effects shouldn't last that long.

that is a bit long; sometimes a dog needs some fluids jus like people after being 'knocked out' the vet should have given some even under the skin fluids as a slight push to wake up... so go back to your vet and /or see if she is eating/drinking.. drinking is especially importnt... if she can drink on her own, give fluids by mouth, slowly. try to get her to move around, dont leave her lying on one side, but turn her over that tends to stimulate the 'wake up after some kinds of anesthesias , see if she can stand, get her to walk a bit, and anyway,if not, get back to the vet, for some blood work (liver, kidney, also check heart), keep the bills suit and find different vet

bina

Slightly off topic, but when I acquired my street dog, Whisky, the first thing was a trip to the vets for a checkup, then a wash and dry at the same place. The washing was barbaric, with Whisky trembling in terror throughout the experience. The drying, where Whisky was hoisted by the back legs and blasted with hot air by a ridiculously noisy machine was even worse. I felt (and still feel) terrible that I subjected my dog to such an experience. Ever since I've always washed him myself.

Given that a simple wash and dry can be so traumatic for a dog, then perhaps sometimes a mild sedative might be in order. Still, the vet really should ask for permission first.