How Do I.......

LoveDaBlues

I recently bought a notebook PC. When I turn it on it automatically logs in as 'admisistrator' without requiring a password. I went to 'User Accounts' and created a password for the 'administrator' account which didn't have one. Still, when I turn on the PC it does not require a logon password.

Where can I change the settings that require a logon password to be entered before the computer can be used?

The Operating System is Windows XP Pro w/service pack 2.

Thanks in advance. :o

To turn the Welcome screen on or off

You must have a computer administrator account to turn the Use the Welcome screen feature on or off.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

Click Change the way users log on or off.

Do one of the following:

To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.

Fast User Switching is available only when the option to log on using the Welcome screen is turned on.

As a best practice, a password should be assigned to each user account. For a more secure logon, turn off the Welcome screen and use the classic logon prompt that requires users to type a user account name, rather than select an account name from a list.

Thanks but I already tried this......doesn't work still boots up without having to enter any PW. Always logs me on as 'administrator'.

Didn't have this problem with my last computer......starting to p_iss me off. :o

Somewhere there has to be a setting that tells the system the default logon is 'administrator'. If I can find where this is I can probably set the default to 'don't logon' and then maybe my problem will be solved.

Thanks but I already tried this......doesn't work still boots up without having to enter any PW.  Always logs me on as 'administrator'.

Didn't have this problem with my last computer......starting to p_iss me off.  :o

Somewhere there has to be a setting that tells the system the default logon is  'administrator'.  If I can find where this is I can probably set the default to 'don't logon' and then maybe my problem will be solved.

I thinnk that Tweakui should be able to help you.

(first result in google)

It's an official MS download

install it. then Run-> tweakui

I am pretty sure that there is an option to turn this off and on