I Blew It And Didn't Get Visa In Time

Cheapest hotel in singapore is Hotel 81 Geylang Rd << 850 Baht Per night (No Breakfasst)

Isn't that the red light district ?........stay there and skydancers cane will definately be coming out.............. :o

Skydancer just to help you get your bearings...........when you come out of the hotel go left walk to the crossroads cross the road to the right and walk approx 300 yards, Dhoby Ghaut MRT station is on the opposite side of the street..............take the train heading to Jurong East.........the Orchard Road (for shopping) stop is the 2nd stop from Dhoby Ghaut.

Have fun.

:D

Edited by thaiflyer1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

I read your post to husband and he told me to "lose the cane" before we get to SIN. Honestly, I hope I am healed enough by then to not need it but the threat of whacking him with it is getting lots of mileage.

Thanks for the directions. Will definitely use them.

Cheapest hotel in singapore is Hotel 81 Geylang Rd << 850 Baht Per night (No Breakfasst)

Isn't that the red light district ?........stay there and skydancers cane will definately be coming out.............. :o

Skydancer just to help you get your bearings...........when you come out of the hotel go left walk to the crossroads cross the road to the right and walk approx 300 yards, Dhoby Ghaut MRT station is on the opposite side of the street..............take the train heading to Jurong East.........the Orchard Road (for shopping) stop is the 2nd stop from Dhoby Ghaut.

Have fun.

Skydancer............2 more tips for you,

When you buy your MRT ticket it includes $S1 deposit (the fare Dhoby to Orchard is $s1.90 including the deposit) dont throw the ticket away if you put it in the machine as you exit the station you will get the dollar deposit back.................i kept throwing mine away until 4 days into my stay when i realised.

When you get off the MRT at Orchard road the Marriott hotel is virtually above it.........a nice place for a beer or a bit of food and people watching is the Crossroads bar/cafe attached to the Marriott its open air......but be warned a large beer is 400 baht

and a mineral water 200 baht.

:o

I've used both the LA consulate and the embassy in DC for tourist visas and have always had a week or less turnaround time using fedex service each way. (if you're too cheap to use fedex that could be an issue)It's worth the extra couple of bucks for the overnight service when dealing with visas and the fate of your passport! IMHO!

I've also returned to Phuket from Singapore on Silkair with no visa and a one way ticket. No issues to report.

I've used both the LA consulate and the embassy in DC for tourist visas and have always had a week or less turnaround time using fedex service each way. (if you're too cheap to use fedex that could be an issue)It's worth the extra couple of bucks for the overnight service when dealing with visas and the fate of your passport! IMHO!

I've also returned to Phuket from Singapore on Silkair with no visa and a one way ticket. No issues to report.

Don't rely on it always working. :o

The Thai Embassy is right on Orchard Road right opposite the Hilton Hotel.

You can easily walk from the MRT Orchard station

The Embassy will be closed for chinese New Year January 30 but should be open later in the week.

Even if the Embassy is closed the guards at the entrance have a stack of application forms which you can use to prepare in advance.

The visa should be ready the following day of application

Bring some local Singapore dollars for the visa fee

Don't rely on it always working. :o

yes I always allow for more time. The first thing I'd do when I'd return stateside was take care of my return visa. I've always been surprised how fast they process it.

In contrast my visits to KL for my b-visa work have been far more tedious though effective.

Each time (3 times now)at the embassy in KL some silly moocher shows up without enough ringit to pay for his visa and tries to get me or someone to change money for him. &lt;deleted&gt;!

This here thread has caused an uproar of response. I don't think the solution is rocket science; just buy the cheapest ticket you can even if you need to scrap it. then you can do your visa thing in 30 days any way you please. Please let me know how that Singaporean eye candy is; I'd like to taste some of it

I'm coming over in 3 days but the Thai Consulate in Hull (UK) has been closed over christmas. They opened again this morning, i gave them a call and they said yes no problem, come over. I got there at 12:15 and left with my single entry at 12:25. Just had to pay an extra £10 to have it done there and then.

Excellent friendly and efficient service, well done Hull :o

SkyDancer

You wrote

Husband and I have airline tickets for 90 day visit but no visa.

You say changing your ticket would be costly ...

For Future reference - A Tourist Visa gives you a stay of 60 days.

To use a Return Ticket after 90 days would have required some side trip anyway ...

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

SkyDancer

You wrote

To use a Return Ticket after 90 days would have required some side trip anyway ...

Bill

Only to the local immigration office as they are easily extended for 30 days.

SkyDancer

You wrote

Bill

Unless they extended those visa's by an additional 30 days each. ( as they can )

SkyDancer

You wrote

Bill

Only to the local immigration office as they are easily extended for 30 days.

Oooops. Didn't see your post Lop. Solly. Happy New Year.

Yes people have been stopped and some have even missed flights because airlines can and do enforce the provision as there computer screen will give them the information that you require onward transportation within 30 days. Although it is unlikely Thai Immigration will check those that appears of means. Although it is usually not an issue when it becomes one it is not a pleasant start to a long awaited vacation. It is best to cover all bases.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we made it from RDM (Redmond, Oregon) to BKK (Bangkok) okay. Entire flight (with layovers) over 24 hours and it took a while to get to our motel. By the time we got to bed at 4 AM we were exhausted. Everything went pretty smoothly. I asked for wheelchair assist at each airport and that was an adventure in itself. About gave the little gal in Narita a hernia. Took 5 guys and a hydrolic lift to get me off the plane at BKK. No, I am not that heavy but one look at my butt and the guys at BKK argued about who was going to push me around. We tipped well so the loser may have been the winner after all.

Paid a travel agent $1,200 tb for the nice bus from BKK to Bang Saphan and the driver put us on the local bus. Tickets were $200/ea. Hmmm. Got lots of local color as we stopped to let people off and on. A/C stopped working along the way and driver took out tools and fixed. Took something like 7 hours for the trip. No taxi available at local bus stop at Bang Saphan. Two motorcycles magically appeared. You should have seen us with our luggage balanced on the front of the cycles, racing down the road. I have not ridden on a motorcycle since I was a teenager and I squeezed the dickens out of my driver. Even squealed in his ear once. Quite a ride. Husband royally screwed up and overpaid them. The driver asked for $250 and husband paid them $2,500. I saw the money change hands and the surprised look on the driver's face and almost asked for the money back but driver didn't speak any English. I decided that it was better to "pay it forward" and talk to hubby in private. He was embarrassed when I explained what had happened.

Staying at SuanLuang Resort for a month. Lovely place - food and staff are excellent. Bungalow is not up to US standards but this is Thailand. Hope to get on right bus for return trip to BKK.

Will let you know how the SIN visa run goes.

Learned my lesson and will get visa taken care of properly before we return to Thailand. We have decided to retire here.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Skydancer

Yes people have been stopped and some have even missed flights because airlines can and do enforce the provision as there computer screen will give them the information that you require onward transportation within 30 days. Although it is unlikely Thai Immigration will check those that appears of means. Although it is usually not an issue when it becomes one it is not a pleasant start to a long awaited vacation. It is best to cover all bases.

For what it's worth, the Thai Embassy in Singapore has been known to be less than receptive to tourist visa applicants who have just come to their office from Thailand. Might not be an issue if your passport is not chock full of Thai immigrations stamps but don't be surprised if they hassle you. Perhaps somebody with recent tourist visa application experience in Singapore can comment...

For what it's worth, the Thai Embassy in Singapore has been known to be less than receptive to tourist visa applicants who have just come to their office from Thailand. Might not be an issue if your passport is not chock full of Thai immigrations stamps but don't be surprised if they hassle you. Perhaps somebody with recent tourist visa application experience in Singapore can comment...

The amounts of brass they are throwing away madly is reasonably indicative of their true newbie status hereabouts

The amounts of brass they are throwing away madly is reasonably indicative of their true newbie status hereabouts

It says, Mr & Mrs W. Gates on their tickets.

A good example of needing a good guide or contact/s in Thailand. :o

It says, Mr & Mrs W. Gates on their tickets.

A good example of needing a good guide or contact/s in Thailand. :D

Billy Gates wouldn't pay a fraction of that. The bungalow freehold wouldn't have cost the local travel expenses :o When they do retire here Udon I bags being their neighbour :D

Paid a travel agent $1,200 tb for the nice bus from BKK to Bang Saphan and the driver put us on the local bus. Tickets were $200/ea. Hmmm.

The driver asked for $250 and husband paid them $2,500. I saw the money change hands and the

I'm just HOPING that these figures REALLY, TRULY are baht... and not dollars....

(((fingers crossed)))

I don't doubt that you are correct TF, but the OP has already paid for a return fare. The airline has been pre-paid to bring them back.

A change of date is all that is required.

It's not just the cost of transporting them back to the US if they were refused entry, the airline would also be liable for a large fine (£2000 per person, I think) and so would not want to take the risk. Edited by GU22