A Big, Fat Sailor.....

Martin

Can anybody suggest where I can buy a big fat sailboard?.

I am a big fat man who needs to get some exercise. But all the usual things don’t work for me. The only exercise that I found enjoyable was when I had a sailboard in Brunei 20 years ago. I wasn’t any good at it, as my co-ordination, balance and muscle memory are all poor. So I kept falling off. But all the falling off, swimming to the board, climbing back on, and the re-raising of the sail, seemed to use every muscle in my body. I was soon as fit at 50 as I had been at 20.

So I want to find a suitable board and sail it on a lake near here, up in Esarn.

I need lots of buoyancy. I seem to remember there were some boards called family boards, which must have had lots of buoyancy if they took a family on them.

I don’t care how old or crummy-looking the board and sails are so long as do the job of helping me get fit again.

I can travel anywhere in Thailand (or Malaysia) to get the right tackle and have it shipped home.

Any pointers about where to look and/or who to contact to acquire a big, fat sailboard (and maybe a kayak) would be gratefully received.

I had a sailboard in Brunei 20 years ago. I wasn’t any good at it, as my co-ordination, balance and muscle memory are all poor. So I kept falling off. But all the falling off, swimming to the board, climbing back on, and the re-raising of the sail, seemed to use every muscle in my body. I was soon as fit at 50 as I had been at 20.

If I read your post correctly you are 70 and taking up sailboarding - i.e. 50 yrs old 20 yrs ago? :o

Get a 365cm board in polythene with dagger board, you will need at least two sails - 6m for light winds and 4m for stronger winds.

Ever considered an inflatable Catamaran - Hobby Cat I think is the brand - very fast and exciting, and transportable.

Yes, pushing 70; but fancy having a go again. Why should youngsters have all the fun?. Old age and treachery can match youth and vigour!

My board in Brunei was quite big. I used to be able to give our neighbour’s 6-year-old lad a ride on the front in steady, light winds. In a couple of years my great-grandsons will be old enough to be given a little ride, if I can get a board with enough buoyancy.

I’ll look into the inflatable boat. But does boat sailing give one much exercise?.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Good on you mate, check out www.amarasailingcenter.com. Amara has a great club in Pattaya where you can get lessons, hire or buy gear or just hang out.

Can get Am's no. of the site and give her a call, she will be happy to give advice and encouragement.

I had a sail today, It was sooooo good !! :o

I’ll look into the inflatable boat. But does boat sailing give one much exercise?.

Catamarin sailing would give you a lot of exercise and exilharation. You would spend more time sailing than uphauling! Except when you flip over. Also good for passengers. I've just seen a web site for some Russian made inflatable cats.

Check out: http://www.catamaran.ru/albatros16.htm