Pattaya Versus Koh Samui

sandgroper2

I've lived in both, and although either would be better than living anywhere I can think of outside of Thailand, don't really like either.

Girls are more plentiful and therefore better value in Pattaya, hundreds of new ones arriving every day, whereas the Samui girls tend to be pretty savvy and jaded.

Costs can be much lower in Pattaya for everything else as well, and much wider variety of food, entertainment and services available. Also quicker access to sophisticated medical care, especially if you couldn't manage air evac.

Samui has nicer beaches, but for my taste are way too overdeveloped. Easy access to Koh Tao and KPN are a plus though.

The long-term expat community in Samui is much smaller and therefore a bit stifling for this city boy, but certainly a higher quality on average.

The overall atmosphere in Samui not being so totally focussed on the sex trade makes it more pleasant for many, although just choosing to live some distance out of Patts will also accomplish that. Obviously Patts is much cheaper to pop into BKK when needed as well.

Personally if I were rich I'd prefer to live on Samui, but would bring my own female companionship from inland upcountry (certainly not Pattaya).

• Like 1

I've lived in both, and although either would be better than living anywhere I can think of outside of Thailand, don't really like either.

Girls are more plentiful and therefore better value in Pattaya, hundreds of new ones arriving every day, whereas the Samui girls tend to be pretty savvy and jaded.

Costs can be much lower in Pattaya for everything else as well, and much wider variety of food, entertainment and services available. Also quicker access to sophisticated medical care, especially if you couldn't manage air evac.

Samui has nicer beaches, but for my taste are way too overdeveloped. Easy access to Koh Tao and KPN are a plus though.

The long-term expat community in Samui is much smaller and therefore a bit stifling for this city boy, but certainly a higher quality on average.

The overall atmosphere in Samui not being so totally focussed on the sex trade makes it more pleasant for many, although just choosing to live some distance out of Patts will also accomplish that. Obviously Patts is much cheaper to pop into BKK when needed as well.

Personally if I were rich I'd prefer to live on Samui, but would bring my own female companionship from inland upcountry (certainly not Pattaya).

Spot on.

I would also add that getting off the island either costs a fortune or takes ages. There is no question Samui is more expensive than Patts, and most other places for than matter but much of it can be offset if someone can haggle well. Most of the expats I know here are fairly well off, but that is because over the years they have acquired the ability to get the most out of their money. To live here long term you either have to be rich, cunning or both.