Best Little Car That Qualifies For First-Time Buyers Scheme

brit1984

We recently moved to Bangkok (near Asoke) and have realised it would be great to have a little car for picking up food, visiting the shops, and other little trips around the city.

The in-laws just gave us an SUV but we don't think that is ideal for central Bangkok (especially as my wife has never driven a car in a city before and I have never driven a car anywhere before) so we would prefer something smaller and easier to drive.

It needs to be automatic transmission and ideally should qualify for the first-time buyers (tax rebate) scheme.

Any suggestions?

What is your budget? Any of the eco-cars would be fine, but also there is the jazz, city, fiesta, if you want something a little larger. Just from appearance, I like the suzuki swift, but it won't be available yet. Then there is the mitsubishi mirage, in top speck about 545K. The swift costs a bit more. Then there's the honda brio (good for petrol but I don't like the interior), and the nissan march. You could spend a weekend going around to different dealers and test driving them I think.

I think the new Mits mirage is probably the best of the bunch. good spec. even the mid spec is loaded. i think at 464 or there abouts.

Oh and it looks SOOOOO much better in real life than the pictures.. i do not really know why Mits persist in using that horrible yellow colour in its advertising.

Edited by thaicbr

What is your budget? Any of the eco-cars would be fine, but also there is the jazz, city, fiesta, if you want something a little larger. Just from appearance, I like the suzuki swift, but it won't be available yet. Then there is the mitsubishi mirage, in top speck about 545K. The swift costs a bit more. Then there's the honda brio (good for petrol but I don't like the interior), and the nissan march. You could spend a weekend going around to different dealers and test driving them I think.

Thanks for your response; the budget is just the limit on the new car buyers scheme (1 million baht I think)

Thanks for your response; the budget is just the limit on the new car buyers scheme (1 million baht I think)

Ok, best fuel economy is with the ecocars, but if you think you might travel long distances, Hua Hin, Pattaya, etc, then maybe a little larger car might be more comfortable. I test drove the brio and cruises nicely at 120 km/h no problems. I'm sure the other ecocars are capable of highway speeds too, but would be worried with all the fast pickups and trucks you would have to deal with on the highways here. Actually, the best value for money are the pickups, but you won't want one of those living in BKK.

Ok, best fuel economy is with the ecocars, but if you think you might travel long distances, Hua Hin, Pattaya, etc, then maybe a little larger car might be more comfortable. I test drove the brio and cruises nicely at 120 km/h no problems. I'm sure the other ecocars are capable of highway speeds too, but would be worried with all the fast pickups and trucks you would have to deal with on the highways here. Actually, the best value for money are the pickups, but you won't want one of those living in BKK.

You are right, I do not want a pickup truck...this car will be just for Bangkok (although that does include the toll-roads)

Fuel-economy is not important either... the main criteria (which I forgot to mention) is that it should be something that looks quite cool (we are both young and my wife is quite image conscious)

You are right, I do not want a pickup truck...this car will be just for Bangkok (although that does include the toll-roads)

Fuel-economy is not important either... the main criteria (which I forgot to mention) is that it should be something that looks quite cool (we are both young and my wife is quite image conscious)

in that case you need to get some quality time together on the computer and check all the brands out.. fiesta springs to mind.

oh and one other thing ..FOR THE TAX REBATE SCHEME you do know that you need to keep the car for 5 years before you can sell or transfer it.. not ideal for the image conscious biggrin.png

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

in that case you need to get some quality time together on the computer and check all the brands out.. fiesta springs to mind.

oh and one other thing ..FOR THE TAX REBATE SCHEME you do know that you need to keep the car for 5 years before you can sell or transfer it.. not ideal for the image conscious biggrin.png

As mentioned Suzuki Swift is cool in Red. 550K for top with CVT and 16" wheels. key less entry and push button start.

As mentioned Suzuki Swift is cool in Red. 550K for top with CVT and 16" wheels. key less entry and push button start.

But the Suzuki is actually fairly small inside especially at shoulder head level.. i really wanted to like the Suzuki but came away unimpressed.. funny enough i had hated the Mits Mirage from the advertising but came away very impressed with the all round feel of the car.. all so the cheap charlie in me liked the good spec at a lowish price.

My experience is a little different when considering a small versus larger car when driving around Bangkok.

I drive both my wife's smaller car and my SUV. I find driving my wife's smaller car more dangerous as there appears to be a sub-concious almost primeval instinct which relies on 'size'. The 'I'm bigger than you so I'm going first' theory appears to apply on Bangkok's roads and having a larger car will make you a more visible entity on the roads, you'll be cut up less and see more due to the driving position.

Parking a small car or large car makes little difference, the spaces are all large enough unless you are driving a Hummer.

But to answer your question: I do like the new Fiesta but I'm not sure how that fits into the 'First buyers Scheme'

My experience is a little different when considering a small versus larger car when driving around Bangkok.

I drive both my wife's smaller car and my SUV. I find driving my wife's smaller car more dangerous as there appears to be a sub-concious almost primeval instinct which relies on 'size'. The 'I'm bigger than you so I'm going first' theory appears to apply on Bangkok's roads and having a larger car will make you a more visible entity on the roads, you'll be cut up less and see more due to the driving position.

Parking a small car or large car makes little difference, the spaces are all large enough unless you are driving a Hummer.

But to answer your question: I do like the new Fiesta but I'm not sure how that fits into the 'First buyers Scheme'

That is very interesting that you think a smaller car would be more difficult to drive... and contrary to what I would assume and to the view of our Thai friend who has been driving the SUV for us (for example he says it is difficult to see if motorcycle drivers are getting too close)... anyone else have thoughts on this?

Just a thought. How is the SUV given to you by your inlaws registered? If it has been registered in your wife's name I believe you no longer qualify for the rebate.

Sophon

It is still registered with the in-laws (and will remain so until we sell it) but with insurance for other drivers

I do like the new Fiesta but I'm not sure how that fits into the 'First buyers Scheme'

There is a new release Fiesta 1.5.

I am not that excited by the idea of driving a Ford Fiesta... I know new cars are more expensive here but is there really nothing cooler than a Fiesta for 1 million baht?... if not we will have to spend more and ditch the first car tax rebate scheme (seems a shame)

I do like the new Fiesta but I'm not sure how that fits into the 'First buyers Scheme'

I am not that excited by the idea of driving a Ford Fiesta... I know new cars are more expensive here but is there really nothing cooler than a Fiesta for 1 million baht?... if not we will have to spend more and ditch the first car tax rebate scheme (seems a shame)

there is no price limit on cars , they have to be 1.5 ltr or less the price limit is on pickups and that is 1 million

there is no price limit on cars , they have to be 1.5 ltr or less the price limit is on pickups and that is 1 million

that is very helpful

in that case, what is the coolest car with a 1.5 litre (or smaller) engine for less than 2 million baht?

The boost blue looks good too. Plenty of accessories already for them, stickers spooler kits, though they look good out of the box, unlike the other ecocars. They seem quite nippy after seeing them shooting around the testing area at the motor show. Delivery could be October / November though, that could be a problem for the OP. I think for a young and trendy couple, this is the one to go for. The other cool car is the fiesta, though I have no idea what the 1.5 is like to drive. The jazz has a lot of utility but looks a bit boxy.

But you need to check on the conditions of the first car buyer deal and make sure you can get the car before the deadline. Many of these cars seem to be having delivery difficulties (the fiesta might be the exception though), so ultimately that might affect your decision too.

See your options here.

Nothing too exciting for the OP there unfortunately! If you seriously wanted to spend 2M, ditch the rebate (which you might regret later, needing to keep the car for 5 years), and open up your options widely. The new ford focus is just around the corner, for example.

See your options here.

Nothing too exciting for the OP there unfortunately! If you seriously wanted to spend 2M, ditch the rebate (which you might regret later, needing to keep the car for 5 years), and open up your options widely. The new ford focus is just around the corner, for example.

Ok, ignoring the rebate, what is the coolest car under 2 million baht?... ps I dont want a Ford

My wife bought a chinese made 'Cherry QQ', small 4 seater for 8000 dollars, automatic also available.

Cheap, easy to park, high mpg, almost no maintenance and we've had it over 2 years with no issues.

Changed my view on (some) cars made in china!

See your options here.

Ok, ignoring the rebate, what is the coolest car under 2 million baht?... ps I dont want a Ford

LOL. That's the British in you talking. The Focus tdci is probably the best bang for the buck out there.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

See your options here.

LOL. That's the British in you talking. The Focus tdci is probably the best bang for the buck out there.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The best with the rebates is probably Honda City...looks good too...for the money saver Almera !!

Now guys since I am not in Los at the moment I can not compare most

of the cars you listed but I bought myself a Hyundai Accent over here

in OZ 1.6 liters it got every thing you need just to list a few

6 airbags,bluetooth,usb port,5 year unlimited km warranty,5 years

road side assistant, and of course all the other things you get in

a modern car like reversing cam and so on. It soposed to be a medium

car but it has a lot of room on the inside and plenty of leg space.

My everage full consumption is 6.4 ltr per 100 km. This my not any help

to you but keep it in mind.

Ps. I had 2 Hyundais before (Elentras) and never ever hade any probs.

with them

Regards

with them

Regards

If you want that many airbags, dare I say it, you will need the top spec fiesta (don't write it off, it's honestly the best in class here at the moment), or the imported jazz. The honda city is pretty good too, but just two airbags. Not sure if the japanese jazz is still available or even if the rebate will apply to it. Top spec eco cars have just twin airbags. Really you need to be here first to visit the dealers and see what's available.

Hi, to the OP, my overall advice is simply to use the SUV your in-laws gave you; if you've been in Asoke for 5 minutes you will surely have seen that every second car is a pickup or SUV. Take extra driving lessons if you want, whatever, but you'll notice the extra benefits of the SUV; high viewing position is great (better than being in a small car), horrible pot-holed roads are better ridden on larger SUV wheels, and an SUV getting 12km/liter on 31.6b/litre diesel is costing about the same as a sedan getting 14km/l on 37.2b E20 - even 20km/l-rated eco-cars like the Nissan Almera will fare no better in Asoke stop-start traffic.

I have a Honda City and would swap it in a heart-beat if someone offered me a free SUV! Test-drive a little car before ruling out the SUV - I test-drove a Nissan March and it was noticeably less comfortable than my Honda, for example.

Hi, to the OP, my overall advice is simply to use the SUV your in-laws gave you; if you've been in Asoke for 5 minutes you will surely have seen that every second car is a pickup or SUV. Take extra driving lessons if you want, whatever, but you'll notice the extra benefits of the SUV; high viewing position is great (better than being in a small car), horrible pot-holed roads are better ridden on larger SUV wheels, and an SUV getting 12km/liter on 31.6b/litre diesel is costing about the same as a sedan getting 14km/l on 37.2b E20 - even 20km/l-rated eco-cars like the Nissan Almera will fare no better in Asoke stop-start traffic.

I have a Honda City and would swap it in a heart-beat if someone offered me a free SUV! Test-drive a little car before ruling out the SUV - I test-drove a Nissan March and it was noticeably less comfortable than my Honda, for example.

I may well do that because it seems I can't afford a cool car!

with them

Regards

If you want that many airbags, dare I say it, you will need the top spec fiesta (don't write it off, it's honestly the best in class here at the moment), or the imported jazz. The honda city is pretty good too, but just two airbags. Not sure if the japanese jazz is still available or even if the rebate will apply to it. Top spec eco cars have just twin airbags. Really you need to be here first to visit the dealers and see what's available.

Rebate only for Thai built cars.

@ the OP, how about a mini cooper?

with them

Regards

Rebate only for Thai built cars.

@ the OP, how about a mini cooper?

He will squirm when he sees the price of a cooper here! Also, the previous post about the suv is goo; forgot to add that it will be better to have a high riding position as Bangkok often floods in the wet season - I had the floor of my honda civic flooded after 30-40 cm of rainwater on the road one year.