I Need To Apply For Brit Citizenship

Hello,

I hope you can give me your advice and assumptions.

I am a Thai national and live in the UK and am married to a UK national.

I entered UK on a 10 year multiple entries visit visa on 29th July, 2009. I stayed five months and then returned to Thailand for a month and then came back to UK and stayed another 6 months and returned to Thailand around end of July 2010. On the 2nd visit I did the life in the UK test.

On 20th August 2010, I returned to the UK with Indefinite leave to enter visa and have been here since that date and had a few holidays only to Thailand and Europe during that time.

I think I can apply to be a citizen on 29th July 2009 because I will have lived here for 3 years , is that correct?

Also, I live in a small town and they say they can do the citizenship ceremony quickly after naturalisation dept informs them (the Registrary).

I think that I have to submit forms to checking service at the council on 29th July for them to check before the submission. Is that right?

Also, I wonder how long until I can apply for my British passport? I want to try and do everything as quicklu as I can as I want to return to Thailand for 9 months as soon as I am British (with passport) for family matters and I need to be back asap.

Thank you for helping with your insight on how to do all this.

Regards

Jazz

PS I need to know how long it will take from submitting application for citizenship to getting passport into my hand.

Thank you

Surely this is a question for the agency who is handling your application, they will be able to tell you better + any other questions you have

You do know if you are coming back to Thailand for 9 months, you are better coming in on a Thai PP, not your British one..otherwise you will need a visa etc

Edited by Soutpeel

]Surely this is a question for the agency who is handling your application, they will be able to tell you better + any other questions you have

You do know if you are coming back to Thailand for 9 months, you are better coming in on a Thai PP, not your British one..otherwise you will need a visa etc

[/b]

Yes ofcourse it is a question for the people in government but I did write to them on two times and neither received a reply both times. I think that most of questions here on this discussion site are better answered by government but my assumptions are that many posters come here because fiscal reductions means no staff to answer questions.

Yes, I will come back into Thailand with my Thai passport but I want to clear all of this issues expediently first.

Thank you

Jazz

PS I reviewed this site http://www.ukba.home...rtnerofcitizen/ (I probably reviewed before too, not sure) and I cannot see information that has a relation to 2 years. It says 3 years.

Any input, thoughts and assumtions from the readership is welcomed.

Thanks again,

Jazz.

Tell me Jazz, you seem a confidient Lassie ... rolleyes.gif

I am hopefully soon to relocate my Thai GF from her birthplace into a Western Culture ... from your perspective, what are the most positive changes that you have made that makes you different from when you first sat in that Airline seat bound for the UK?

• Like 1

PS I reviewed this site http://www.ukba.home...rtnerofcitizen/ (I probably reviewed before too, not sure) and I cannot see information that has a relation to 2 years. It says 3 years.

Thanks again,

Jazz.

It is 3 years, but once you have it you can apply immediately for a British Passport. I went through this whole process with my wife last year.

Thanks again,

Jazz.

Yes, if you are applying as the spouse of a British citizen, the qualifying period is 3 years, of which one year has been free of restrictions (i.e. ILR). You must have been present in the UK exactly 3 years prior to the date on which they receive the application for citizenship. In those 3 years you must have spent no more than 270 days outside the UK, and no more than 90 days in the last 12 months. The periods you spent in the UK as a visitor should count towards the 3-year qualifying period.

You have probably already accessed the full list of requirements, but you can see them here:-

http://www.ukba.home...rtnerofcitizen/

Regarding the waiting times, this page says you should allow 6 months. Unless there's a problem, I wouldn't expect it to take any more than that, it might be a month or two less.

http://www.ukba.home...g/waitingtimes/

I think for your first UK passport you have to attend an interview, I don't know how long that takes, you might find some information on the Passport Agency website. If your travel back to Thailand becomes urgent, you could always travel on your Thai passport and take your naturalisation certificate with you (being extremely careful not to lose it).

• Like 2

My Thai wife could of got her citizenship when she had been living in England for 2 years married to me but we had already planned to live in Thailand.

I don't understand why your husband doesn't help you with it, here some info anyhow.

http://www.ukba.home...rtnerofcitizen/

Hello,

How can she get it after 2 years? All my research (and my husband's) shows an indication of 3 years.

As for your question about my husband, my English is not that poor so I am capable of doing the reearch and posting on a forum just the same as he is. I am not a dependant Thai wife, Sir. And my husband (my equal) is a Jordy so they probably dont understand his accented English too ;-) weyhey

Back in 2003 the two year visa my wife had, before it expired she could apply to stay in the UK that was just our situation at the time.

You are correct you can apply 30th of July 2012 and you shouldn't have any problem is my guess as long as you have met the qualiflying periods, it's a lot harder for us Brits to stay in Thailand.biggrin.png

Well ' why aye lass ' I didn't mean to be derogatory in my post I should maybe explained that the site given, answers most questions.

I was told the other day by my Thai teacher friend that a Thai calling someone ' sir ' is not nice. laugh.pngbiggrin.png

As for your passport as soon as you have have UK citizenship you will be able to apply for one, hope things go well. smile.png

How do I apply for a British passport?

This page contains information about applying for a British passport if your application for British nationality is successful.

British passports are issued by the UK government's Identity and Passport Service (IPS).

All adult customers (aged 16 and over) applying for a passport for the first time must attend an interview with IPS in person to confirm their identity.

IPS recommends you allow 6 weeks for your passport application to be processed.

You should not make any travel arrangements until you receive your passport.

For more information about applying for a British passport, phone the IPS passport advice line on 0300 222 0000 or visit the IPS website.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

The application can be 'checked' at a local registry office (Nationality Checking Service). They will go through the paperwork and copy + certify critical documents so you can have them back immediately. This means a Thai passport will be returned immediately (with ILR stamp) and can be used for travel. It is not clear from your post why you specifically need a British passport to return home!

As for delays, I would take everything the UKBA says with the biggest pinch of salt you can. They are in chaos so count on the six months delay unless something gets sorted out! Simple ILR applications are frequently taking this length of time.

So once you qualify for citizenship and do the ceremony how long do you have to wait for a UK passport?

Why would it be so slow as in essence it should be treated the same as any other application?

RAZZ

The application can be 'checked' at a local registry office (Nationality Checking Service). They will go through the paperwork and copy + certify critical documents so you can have them back immediately.

Yes - well worth doing this in my view, even though there's a fee of £60. Takes away a lot of worry about lost passports, etc. and seems to speed up the process.

Tell me Jazz, you seem a confidient Lassie ... rolleyes.gif

Aren't we all?

I am hopefully soon to relocate my Thai GF from her birthplace into a Western Culture

She's not a thing, you can't relocate her. She is your equal, yes?

.. from your perspective, what are the most positive changes that you have made that makes you different from when you first sat in that Airline seat bound for the UK?

Well, I was 18 when I first came to the UK with my school friends for a trip. But in adulthood, I would say we are all different so I cant answer to give advice on what could work well for your GF. I guess it dependents upon her background. If you tell a little, maybe I can advise a little,

It is 3 years, but once you have it you can apply immediately for a British Passport. I went through this whole process with my wife last year.

Please, would you mind greatly to describe the process a little from submission of the documents by the checking service to getting the passport in the hand? Could you please take the time for some commentary?

Thank you

Jazz

Regarding the waiting times, this page says you should allow 6 months. Unless there's a problem, I wouldn't expect it to take any more than that, it might be a month or two less.

Thank you for the commentary. The council here said the same but then I tried again a week later to get another person to offer commentary and they said 1 to 2 months. Its strange and Thaillandlike when they cant agree.

You are cbiggrin.pngorrect you can apply 30th of July 2012 and you shouldn't have any problem is my guess as long as you have met the qualiflying periods, it's a lot harder for us Brits to stay in Thailand.

Thanks for that. But, you are joking, right? Its easy for Farang to stay in Thailand. England is too easy too, especially if you are teleban.

I was told the other day by my Thai teacher friend that a Thai calling someone ' sir ' is not nice. laugh.pngbiggrin.png

I think she was pulling on your chain. We arent not the same as farang so sometimes sanuk sanuk is said without the smile, you know? Its like this, sometime, Thais eat on the floor and sleep on the table. Up side down to the way English brains work,

It is not clear from your post why you specifically need a British passport to return home!

Its not clear, that is true. I want to do everything before I go home for 9 months in case it takes longer. I dont need a Brit passport to return home, of course.

So once you qualify for citizenship and do the ceremony how long do you have to wait for a UK passport?

Why would it be so slow as in essence it should be treated the same as any other application?

RAZZ

My research indicates that all people have to wait longer for a first passport than a returner getting the renewal passport.

Anyway, all these post and I would like to say thank you. Any more commentary about your loved ones' experience would be very very welcome.

Thank you

Jazz

Please, would you mind greatly to describe the process a little from submission of the documents by the checking service to getting the passport in the hand? Could you please take the time for some commentary?

Thank you

Jazz

I know this might sound over-simplistic, but if you meet the criteria for citizenship, then you'll get it.

We used the checking service at the local register office. I filled out the forms, they checked them. We gave them all the info and supporting documents that they needed. On all my applications i've always gone for overkill rather than giving them just what they specify. Make your case as strong as possible.

They sent the stuff off, and we got my wife's approval back about six weeks later. You get a letter with it detailing where you need to go for the citizenship ceremony. You ring them, make an appointment, go to the ceremony, pledge your oath and you're a citizen.

Next stop is the post office to pick up a passport application form. Fill it in and send it off. Then you'll be asked to attend and interview. My wife was in there less than 20 minutes. Approved, passport in the post a few days later.

Job done.....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for that. But, you are joking, right? Its easy for Farang to stay in Thailand. England is too easy too, especially if you are teleban.

You are joking, right?

You are on here saying about getting citizenship for the UK, which if you meet the criteria, you'll get (and rightly so).

Westerners (please don't use farang, it's derogatory in many peoples eyes) have NO rights in your country. We are outsiders and will always be outsiders.

Yes it is easy to come for a holiday, but don't ever make the mistake of thinking it is easy for us to settle here. My country has welcomed my wife, made her a citizen, and given her the same rights as any other citizen.

Thailand makes me jump through hoops and makes it clear to me that Thailand is for Thais at every opportunity. I will never, ever have anywhere approaching citizenship (or even indefinite leave to remain).

• Like 2

You are cbiggrin.pngorrect you can apply 30th of July 2012 and you shouldn't have any problem is my guess as long as you have met the qualiflying periods, it's a lot harder for us Brits to stay in Thailand.

I think she was pulling on your chain. We arent not the same as farang so sometimes sanuk sanuk is said without the smile, you know? Its like this, sometime, Thais eat on the floor and sleep on the table. Up side down to the way English brains work,

Not so easy for westerners to stay in Thailand,Thai Immigration are always altering the rules,and do not stick to anything for long.

I bet you have never had to show any money in your Bank Account Annually,to get your new Visa,

Or had to be Photographed together outside your house,and inside,sitting on the Bed,or provided a Map of how to get to your house. And it's a minimum of 5 years (for Thai Citizenship,not 3,as in England) and also heaps of money to get Thai Citizenship,like money that is not stated on the application form???

Oh! and did you ever buy a House,Car,Motorcyle in the UK under your own name, if you have,you will know how easy it was (just hand over the cash,and it's yours) .Oh dear! did you ever have to do a 90 day check in either?,while in the UK!,but that's enough for now.

Sorry thaigirllondon,ask any Englishman,there is no comparison.

Edited by MAJIC

Hi there thaigirllondon ... I'll try again with different some wording.

Jazz, you obviously are a confident, intelligent woman who has benefited by living in at least 2 Cultures and 2 Countries and are able to express your thoughts clearly.

My Thai GF plans to move from Thailand into a Western Culture.

From your perspective, what are the most positive changes that you have experienced living in the UK as opposed to living in Thailand?

Following on from above, reversing the question and what are some of the more negative ones?

How often and for how long do you return to Thailand?

If you decline to answer these next few, no problem, but it will greatly help me and those following this thread, of whom you have asked help of, to understand your response more clearly and be very appreciated.

What is the age difference between you and your Husband?

Do you have children with your husband or from a previous relationship?

If you have children do they live with you now?

Do you still live with your husband on a full time basis?

... as for give a little, I can do better then that!

Come over and meet the tribe at ... http://www.thaivisa....nd-shrimp-farm/

At the end of the day, I am seeking your responses, not what you think my GF might experience.

As the OP (Original Poster) you're asking the Thai Visa Community to assist you with their collective knowledge and experiences and I am sure that they and myself specifically will be more informed after reading your reply.

Thanks in Anticipation

David48 cowboy.gif

Edited by David48

Well keep on with your antagonistic stance, goodluck.

BTW my Thai wife eats at the table an sleeps on a bed. coffee1.gif

Well keep on with your antagonistic stance, goodluck.

BTW my Thai wife eats at the table an sleeps on a bed. coffee1.gif

As does mine.

The question does spring to mind, why are you so desperate to gain British Citizenship?

• Like 1

Kwasaki ... just between you and me, I was told that being called 'Sir' in Thai, is akin to being told (depending on the tone and sentence context) is the same as being called somewhat dim-witted.

• Like 1

Kwasaki ... just between you and me, I was told that being called 'Sir' in Thai, is akin to being told (depending on the tone and sentence context) is the same as being called somewhat dim-witted.

Well just between you and me on a public forum :D that is what my Thai teacher friend explained and ' He ' whoops mustn't say that !! Him I should say, is not a she as assumed. rolleyes.gif

There's a Thai vegetable I don't like asking for as well but the name escapes me. whistling.gif

Your can change the meaning in English too, depending on tone and context. That is not something unique to the Thai language. Sarcasm knows no bounds.

Dear thailondongirl ... be a friend to the tread that you started and come back and reply to some of the questions asked about you ... we could all learn something.

Maybe some of the posters here have more information to pass to you about your original question ...