England To Phuket Non Stop

Jake829

Erm ... IIRC Poo-Air used to have a fuel-stop somewhere in the Gulf, hence the problem that time they over-filled the tanks, and some spilled-out from the wingtip spill-pipes during the take-off roll ?

Anyway, the answer to your question is money, as so often in life. The older aircraft and tighter-margins of charter-airlines, who would fly between the UK and a secondary holiday-destination like Phuket, find a fuel-stop mid-way to be more cost-effective, which helps them offer a cheaper ticket-price. They also gain the option of a crew-change half-way.

The same logic applies to the rapidly-expanding Gulf-based carriers, who enjoy the added commercial-bonus of connecting to a dozen-or-more European destinations, from their Phuket-Gulf flights which are slowly being added. I think Qatar were the first ?

This may however change, with the arrival of the new B787-Dreamliner, which is designed for longer thinner routes, and has been ordered by many airlines. However I heard that Monarch just cancelled theirs, as the newly-increased UK Departure-Tax has reportedly depressed demand for their important UK-Caribbean routes, and presumably also UK-Thailand as well ?

When Phuket is as important a destination as Pattaya, and the B787 and A350 are in-service with holiday-airlines, there may well be direct non-stop UK-Phuket flights.

the obvioius answer must be there is not the demand or they would do it. it would probably have to start at london most likely gatwick and most people prefer to fly from regional airports via one of the Arab states as it easier.

Just a note, Etihad use Phuket on their website, there are currently deals that can be booked until 4th May.

Not sure if they use a codeshare from HKT, or go direct to Abu Dhabi.

Just answered my own question they use Air Berlin

Edited by beano2274

Just a note, Etihad use Phuket on their website, there are currently deals that can be booked until 4th May.

Friends of mine were booked with air berlin direct to duesseldorf for this month.

have been re-booked BKK/AUH with Etihad and connecting with Air Berlin to Duesseldorf. 3 hrs in AUH.

Basically AB do not fly BKK anymore.

Cheers

Yermaneewai.gif

Friends of mine were booked with air berlin direct to duesseldorf for this month.

have been re-booked BKK/AUH with Etihad and connecting with Air Berlin to Duesseldorf. 3 hrs in AUH.

Cheers

Yermaneewai.gif

only reason I can think is that Bkk is only an hour away from pattaya (sin city) and most tourist flying in head to that dirty place for cheap booze and sex, but I think Thai airways should realise people live or work in the southern provinces and don't always want to stop in Bkk, I think thai airways should ask the paying customer what they think, I'm sure they would fill a 747 every time

Hoping air Asia will open up the direct flight Phuket to stanstead..but wishful thinking somehow!!

I thought Air Asia were going to scrap their KL to Stansted route. Maybe I am getting confused.

Hoping air Asia will open up the direct flight Phuket to stanstead..but wishful thinking somehow!!

I thought Air Asia were going to scrap their KL to Stansted route. Maybe I am getting confused.

They have as far as I know, but it isn't what was suggested.

Cheers

Yermaneewai.gif

only reason I can think is that Bkk is only an hour away from pattaya (sin city) and most tourist flying in head to that dirty place for cheap booze and sex, but I think Thai airways should realise people live or work in the southern provinces and don't always want to stop in Bkk, I think thai airways should ask the paying customer what they think, I'm sure they would fill a 747 every time

And my guess is that if it was a viable money maker they would have done it. Remember landing slots at LHR are like rocking horse s*@t . Also have you thought how many passengers are actually tourists and how many may live and work in the Eastern Seaboard which is where most of the Industry, Money and Jobs are for expats.

Edited by RabC

Flying Poo air was a bit like flying over Germany in a Lancaster - cold, noisy, uncomfortable and you could never be sure that you would make it back!

Basically. I think that there is simply not enough demand for direct flights UK - Phuket.

Mind you, I loved Poo Air, if only because the girls smiled so sweetly as we staggered across the skies in their ancient Boeings....the whole thing was just so Thai optimistic!

Edited by JAG